1. 1. SWF Exit Poll

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • Brexit
    • SNP/Plaid
    • Green
    • Independant

Remind me again, what is one the Brexiteers' favourite criticisms of the EU?

Something about unelected bureaucrats?

Listening to the radio the other day, during various news articles over the day; one on the queens speech, one on infrastructure, one on reorganising the civil service and one on education, Dominic Cummings views on each were talked about. Who exactly is running the country?

Listening to the radio the other day, during various news articles over the day; one on the queens speech, one on infrastructure, one on reorganising the civil service and one on education, Dominic Cummings views on each were talked about. Who exactly is running the country?

Ken Clarke seems to think it is Dom. How many votes did he get again?

Wonderful, but we aren’t talking about that.
Advisors are allowed to advise just as previous advisors have held prominent positions in governments. You can't tell me that if Corbyn had won that the likes of Seamus Milne and Karie Murphy wouldn't have done similar. You're just bitter because Dominic has absolutely smashed it and been proven right for this election. #classicdom.

A hideous woman and a liar considering she said she would leave the country with Boris as PM.

I'm glad that she stayed and she should be given as much media air time as she wants. She's great entertainment value and every time she opens her mouth, she reminds everybody that she and those lefties like her do not respect democracy and thank God that the Marxist didn't get elected. I just love seeing her sour little face, incandescent with rage that the electorate have given a thumping majority to a party and leader that she despises. I don't know which country she would go to to satisfy her particular brand of leftism, where she could enjoy as good a lifestyle and receive such freedom of speech from those prepared to give her views a platform.

Campbell was Blair’s spin doctor. With Cummings we are talking about a de facto PM as Johnson doesn’t appear to have any idea about what he is doing other than getting Brexit done.
That is a pathetic argument.

Cummins, Campbell, Mandelson etc etc there are always those in the background pulling strings to a degree, not forgetting the mandarins in the civil service

Campbell was Blair’s spin doctor. With Cummings we are talking about a de facto PM as Johnson doesn’t appear to have any idea about what he is doing other than getting Brexit done.
You have no evidence for that at all it's just your bias talking. You have no idea that the role Cummins is playing is substantially different from previous advisors or if it would have differed from Milne under Corbyn. It would almost certainly have been worse seeing as Corbyn is clearly not a bright bloke- his ex wife saying he had never read a book etc. He's also clearly quite a passive man, certainly compared to Boris who may have his faults but is hardly a shrinking violet. Edited by hypochondriac

That is a pathetic argument.

Cummins, Campbell, Mandelson etc etc there are always those in the background pulling strings to a degree, not forgetting the mandarins in the civil service

It depends just how much string pulling is going on, or needed. Given Johnson’s lack of scruples or commitment to anything other than his career, I would imagine that there will be an awful lot of string pulling required with Johnson.

It depends just how much string pulling is going on, or needed. Given Johnson’s lack of scruples or commitment to anything other than his career, I would imagine that there will be an awful lot of string pulling required with Johnson.

well done for not actually making any point at all.

You can imagine whatever you like. Doesn't make any of it true outside your own head though.

Britain First leader officially joins Conservative Party: 'Boris Johnson is like us'

Britain First says 5,000 of its members have joined Tories

But the experts told us that Johnson’s DT article was no more than an impassioned defense of the burqa in a liberal democracy and we were ignoring the wider context :lol:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/paul-golding-conservatives-britain-first-boris-johnson-muslim-women-letterboxes-a9254061.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/28/britain-first-far-right-members-5000-have-joined-tories

Will we seem the same kind of exposure given to Tory Islamophobia by the Mail, Express and Sun as they gave to Labour and anti-Semitism? Will they make as much fuss as the lurch to the right by the Tories as they did the lurch to the left by Labour? There has been a huge outcry about democracy since Brexit but how is it served with such a bias in the mainstream media?

But the experts told us that Johnson’s DT article was no more than an impassioned defense of the burqa in a liberal democracy and we were ignoring the wider context :lol:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/paul-golding-conservatives-britain-first-boris-johnson-muslim-women-letterboxes-a9254061.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/28/britain-first-far-right-members-5000-have-joined-tories

Oh look, articles from the Guardian and the Not Independent trying to stir the pot. Is that the best that you and they can do? Must be the slow news days, now that the Tories have a stonking majority. Is this the only way that they can metaphorically stamp their feet and throw their toys out of the pram, now that their total impotence to change the political landscape is beginning to penetrate their skulls. :lol:

Will we seem the same kind of exposure given to Tory Islamophobia by the Mail, Express and Sun as they gave to Labour and anti-Semitism? Will they make as much fuss as the lurch to the right by the Tories as they did the lurch to the left by Labour? There has been a huge outcry about democracy since Brexit but how is it served with such a bias in the mainstream media?

The huge outcry about democracy was because the establishment elite were attempting to overturn the referendum decision. Now that they have failed comprehensively to achieve that, the arguments against Brexit being implemented are just p*ssing in the wind. This lurch to the right of the Tory Party is purely a figment of your febrile imagination, Soggy. It might appear to you that if one Party lurches to the left, then the other main party must have lurched to the right, but that is only by comparison between the two. But then again, you've never been capable of understanding that people do not suddenly become small minded racist bigots just because they voted to leave the EU, so that probably explains why you believe that the Tories have become more right wing. They haven't.

Oh look, articles from the Guardian and the Not Independent trying to stir the pot. Is that the best that you and they can do? Must be the slow news days, now that the Tories have a stonking majority. Is this the only way that they can metaphorically stamp their feet and throw their toys out of the pram, now that their total impotence to change the political landscape is beginning to penetrate their skulls. :lol:

You seem a tad touchy pal (your little nervous tic :lol: is a dead giveaway). Needless to say you’re missing the point. I also respectfully suggest that you’re not the best person to comment on peoples respective political centres of gravity given your antisemitic form on these threads and preference for sources like politicalite.

Edited by shurlock

You seem a tad touchy pal (your little nervous tic :lol: is a dead giveaway). Needless to say you’re missing the point. I also respectfully suggest that you’re not the best person to comment on peoples respective political centres of gravity given your antisemitic form on these threads and preference for sources like politicalite.

What nervous tic? As I keep on having to tell you, Gavyn, I'm perfectly happy with everything since the glorious 12th. I'm just really enjoying the discomfort of the likes of you and Soggy having your little bleats about how unfair it all is. What really gets your goat, is that the political compass of people like me is far more closely aligned to that of the majority of the electorate than yours is, therefore if you don't mind, I'll ignore the usual arrogance of your little suggestion, Gavyn.

The huge outcry about democracy was because the establishment elite were attempting to overturn the referendum decision. Now that they have failed comprehensively to achieve that, the arguments against Brexit being implemented are just p*ssing in the wind. This lurch to the right of the Tory Party is purely a figment of your febrile imagination, Soggy. It might appear to you that if one Party lurches to the left, then the other main party must have lurched to the right, but that is only by comparison between the two. But then again, you've never been capable of understanding that people do not suddenly become small minded racist bigots just because they voted to leave the EU, so that probably explains why you believe that the Tories have become more right wing. They haven't.

Priti Patel.

What nervous tic? As I keep on having to tell you, Gavyn, I'm perfectly happy with everything since the glorious 12th. I'm just really enjoying the discomfort of the likes of you and Soggy having your little bleats about how unfair it all is. What really gets your goat, is that the political compass of people like me is far more closely aligned to that of the majority of the electorate than yours is, therefore if you don't mind, I'll ignore the usual arrogance of your little suggestion, Gavyn.

So you’re comfortable with -or embarrassed by- Britain First supporters feeling at home in the current Conservative Party (which is an objective fact and the original point that your irrelevant little digression has been trying to distract from)? Let me know which in your own time pal.

Edited by shurlock

And yet the majority of the electorate voted against your moral compass.

Are people like Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg not part of the establishment elite? I would have thought they were the definition of it. Can someone tell me what exactly it is if it's not the super wealthy old school tie crowd who have been part of the establishment for years?

What a load of old pony.

The establishment is now the metropolitan liberal elite. The old school tie pony is so last century. Did New Labour pass you by?

#draintheswamp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you’re comfortable with -or embarrassed by- Britain First supporters feeling at home in the current Conservative Party (which is an objective fact and the original point that your irrelevant little digression has been trying to distract from)? Let me know which in your own time pal.

As the articles said, and you attempt to ignore, supporters of extremist parties will not be welcome in the Conservative Party. What a pity the same doesn't apply to the Labour Party and those who have joined it from the extreme left. It obviously went right over your head that my attitude towards the stories was to try to stifle a yawn towards them and to suggest that it must have been a slow news day for the lefty press to bother with it. They are non-stories. Unsavoury people latch on to all sorts of political organisations. Isn't it shocking? :rolleyes:

As the article says, it's an attempt to highjack the conservatives on the same way Momentum have highjacked Labour. It will be concerning if they succeed in getting control of party mechanisms and influencing policy but its going to be futile isn't it and they've already said they reserve the right to cancel memberships where extremists have slipped through the cracks.

Priti Patel.
A first generation immigrant female with East African heritage, getting a good education and becoming a prominent member of the government. What great proof that you can achieve something in this country regardless of race or skin colour or where your family are from. Let's not also forget that she had prominent roles under Cameron so she is hardly an example of a sudden lurch to an "extremist right" like the left like to claim.

The point is the majority of the country did not vote Conservative.

The point is also that the majority of the country have never voted for the government that formed after an election.

But hey, those are the rules that we have in place. If people like you had bothered to notice the referendum that was held, the voting system could have been changed ;)

The point is also that the majority of the country have never voted for the government that formed after an election.

But hey, those are the rules that we have in place. If people like you had bothered to notice the referendum that was held, the voting system could have been changed ;)

It was a very watered down and weak version of PR and not what we needed.

So one of the first acts of the new government is a stonking increase in the minimum wage - a grand a year or so pro-rata.

A lovely little social democratic move to build on a New Labour policy of old. Instant rebuttal against anyone saying the Tories don't support the poorest. And targeted against those who work.

Very strong, One Nation Toryism.

So one of the first acts of the new government is a stonking increase in the minimum wage - a grand a year or so pro-rata.

A lovely little social democratic move to build on a New Labour policy of old. Instant rebuttal against anyone saying the Tories don't support the poorest. And targeted against those who work.

Very strong, One Nation Toryism.

It’s good to see the Tories carry on a good Labour policy, especially considering they voted against the minimum wage when Labour introduced it, say it would cost 2 million jobs. Hopefully it will keep rising.

John Smith on Rail Privatisation:

"Tories think the only thing that can possibly motivate people is greed, and if not greed, then fear. The concept of pride in public service for its own sake is utterly beyond their understanding. But we know there is a different set of values"

Still stands

• 2 weeks later...
John Smith on Rail Privatisation:

"Tories think the only thing that can possibly motivate people is greed, and if not greed, then fear. The concept of pride in public service for its own sake is utterly beyond their understanding. But we know there is a different set of values"

Still stands

That is a broad brush to say all tories. IMO my experience of the nationalised industries years ago was that the workers didn't have much pride in public services.

• 3 weeks later...