West Ham 3-0 Saints reactions

Bad Wolf

Today highlighted what Ralph has added in terms of the performances that Redmond, JWP and Romeu have put in since his arrival. They all play with an energy that those who came in today just don’t have. Lemina was far too deep and would have been more effective as one of the advanced midfielders like he was against Newcastle. And for those slagging Valery, he’s still young, and at times can be electrifying.

Have to laugh really at the comments about the team sele tion. Other than the crass stupidity of playing Forster the team was only 2 players short of our best available team, 3 at most, and some on here think Romeu should be shipped out. Redmond on at HT and arguably that was the best team. Elyounoussi is clearly total garbage and needs to go but it was the performance of the team that was disappointing, can only think they were capping themselves knowing Desparate Dan was between the sticks.

Predictably there has been a bit of a meltdown on here over yesterday's performance !

There are times when taking one step backwards in order to move forward is a worthwhile move and clearly that's what was in Ralph's mind !

Seems that today's 'social media driven' immediacy does not allow for this and his judgement is questioned !

A win next week and the mood will no doubt change again but I am confident that Ralph has his eye on the bigger picture and will restructure accordingly !!

COYS

Predictably there has been a bit of a meltdown on here over yesterday's performance !

There are times when taking one step backwards in order to move forward is a worthwhile move and clearly that's what was in Ralph's mind !

Seems that today's 'social media driven' immediacy does not allow for this and his judgement is questioned !

A win next week and the mood will no doubt change again but I am confident that Ralph has his eye on the bigger picture and will restructure accordingly !!

COYS

Yeah exactly.

Ralph warned us there would be changes to give squad players the chance to impress. Not a big surprise that by and large they didnt.

Ralph had to look at Forster if only to see if he is good enough to be No. 2 next season, that gives the club the option of shifting either him or McCarthy.

I would hope he has made up his mind about Stephens. A few quotes in the Echo today about Yoshida and Vestergaard being unavailable and resrticting choice kind of reads to me like he knows Jack is not a long term solution.

I would hope the club will try to cut its losses on Moi, hes not up to it clearly.

If they could get rid of Moi, Stephens, Austin, Gallagher, Boufal, Hoedt, Cedric, Forster or McCarthy and possibly Reed that would be some great work but I fear the takers wont be queueing around St Marys for any of them.

Edited by beatlesaint

Yeah exactly.

Ralph warned us there would be changes to give squad players the chance to impress. Not a big surprise that by and large they didnt.

Ralph had to look at Forster if only to see if he is good enough to be No. 2 next season, that gives the club the option of shifting either him or McCarthy.

I would hope he has made up his mind about Stephens. A few quotes in the Echo today about Yoshida and Vestergaard being unavailable and resrticting choice kind of reads to me like he knows Jack is not a log term solution.

I would hope the club will try to cut its losses on Moi, hes not up to it clearly.

If they could get rid of Moi, Stephens, Austin, Gallagher, Boufal, Hoedt, Cedric, Forster or McCarthy and possibly Reed that would be some great work but I fear the takers wont be queueing around St Marys for any of them.

“log term solution”? ;)

A log has more positional sense and is more mobile.

That’s true up to a point, but if you’re a fan who’s spent hundreds of quid traveling around the country to away games all season then I think you have a right to expect a bit more. Last away game of the season is supposed to be a party not a damp squib. West Ham were actually there for the taking, but our players couldn’t summon the desire or the energy to put in a performance. Pointing that out isn’t a meltdown.

COYS

COYS

3 points could have meant the difference in prize money, a league game is not the time to work out who's capable and who's not.

3 points could have meant the difference in prize money, a league game is not the time to work out who's capable and who's not.

Exactly this. One assumes Ralph is aware of the prize money structure. We need every penny we can get to fund his summer rebuild.

Exactly this. One assumes Ralph is aware of the prize money structure. We need every penny we can get to fund his summer rebuild.

Would you rather have £2m extra from prize money, or £5m extra from selling Elyounoussi?

Of course it's fair to argue that we all knew he would play badly and it won't make anyone more likely to sign him, but I can at least see the rationale of giving these fringe (or unwanted) players a run out, even if it's not great for the travelling support.

Would you rather have £2m extra from prize money, or £5m extra from selling Elyounoussi?

Of course it's fair to argue that we all knew he would play badly and it won't make anyone more likely to sign him, but I can at least see the rationale of giving these fringe (or unwanted) players a run out, even if it's not great for the travelling support.

As I said elsewhere, if that's the case, at least, play them in a formation that gives them the best chance to succeed. Our strongest XI has struggled with a 4-2-2-2. Why would it be any different for our fringe players?

As I said, he is looking at the ‘bigger picture’ and if a single league loss (with nothing at stake) helps him formulate a better plan for next season then we could easily reap further rewards !

You can only see so much in training, matchdays are more relevant !

Sure, I have sympathy with our travelling support but equally I can understand why RH did what he did !!

As I said, he is looking at the ‘bigger picture’ and if a single league loss (with nothing at stake) helps him formulate a better plan for next season then we could easily reap further rewards !

You can only see so much in training, matchdays are more relevant !

Sure, I have sympathy with our travelling support but equally I can understand why RH did what he did !!

Finishing higher up the league is the bigger picture what is at stake was possibly another league place, or two higher, which could have been worth another 3-6 million quid to the club (pretty important given our seeming lack of funds). I really doubt Ralph didn't know the likes of Forster and Moi aren't up to it and if he didn't how does yesterdays match help him? He wasn't playing them normally which suggests he didn't rate them and very much doubt he rates them anymore today. If it was, as suggested by posters on here, an attempt to put unwanted players in the "shop window" then after yesterday performances they are even less likely to be on anyone's summer shopping list. There really was no upside to playing a weakened team against West Ham yesterday.

Totally agree with almost everybody that Forster, Stephens and Elyonoussi hasn't shown anything over the season to make me want to keep them next season. And i have been a supporter of keeping Ely.

I do however not agree that Elyonoussi was the worst player on the field yesterday. Valery, Stephens, Forster and Ings were all worse. Armstrong and Elyonoussi were equally bad.

Bednarek, Lemina, Höjbjerg, Bertrand and Long were better but not good.

Valery has been really good all season sence Hassenhyttel took over. Do not mind that he made a mistake, better now than in a game that meens something. He'll learn from it and become a better player.

i'd vote for Bednarek or Long as yesterdays least worst player.

As I said elsewhere, if that's the case, at least, play them in a formation that gives them the best chance to succeed. Our strongest XI has struggled with a 4-2-2-2. Why would it be any different for our fringe players?

Fair point, but the two can be exclusive events can't they? Playing the wrong formation doesn't mean players weren't being advertised. As I have said, I didn't see the game, but could it be a case that Hasenhuttl used this game to try out multiple things (shop window, last chances, new formations)? Trying to experiment with so many things at once tends to lead to failure.

Apparently putting him in the shop window for potential buyers I imagine we've been overwhelmed with offers after his display...

Amazing, I mean who among the club's administrators actually thought that that would actually produce any sort of result. An act of the purest stupidity if that was the only reason. Plenty of good keepers knocking about available at about a fifth of Forster's salary. Bloke hasn't been the same since his knee injury, should have written him off then and got whatever we could from the insurance.

Apparently putting him in the shop window for potential buyers I imagine we've been overwhelmed with offers after his display...

I actually imagine it was the opposite ... And it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

We have 2 back up keepers, one good enough (McCarhy) and one who used to be but became a major liability, and we wanted to test if he's recovered. And the reason is very simple. McCarthy could command a fee of the best part of £10m, is sellable, and wouldn't need to take a pay cut to move so would be happy to go. Forster isn't sellable because he's on a fortune.

So if Forster has recovered enough to be a viable number two we get McCarthys wages off our books and up to £10m to reinvest elsewhere in the team. If not, we don't. So checking it out in a largely meaningless game to see if we could add £10m to our budget, plus free up McCarthys wages is an entirely sensible move. It's worth risking the couple of million for an extra league place we probably wouldn't have got with the other results anyway.

Why people fail to get this is a bit beyond me.

Amazing, I mean who among the club's administrators actually thought that that would actually produce any sort of result. An act of the purest stupidity if that was the only reason. Plenty of good keepers knocking about available at about a fifth of Forster's salary. Bloke hasn't been the same since his knee injury, should have written him off then and got whatever we could from the insurance.

Do you think the insurance would have paid out without proof that his injury was so bad that he couldn’t play again?

That’s always assuming that we have insurance for this sort of thing.

I actually imagine it was the opposite ... And it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

We have 2 back up keepers, one good enough (McCarhy) and one who used to be but became a major liability, and we wanted to test if he's recovered. And the reason is very simple. McCarthy could command a fee of the best part of £10m, is sellable, and wouldn't need to take a pay cut to move so would be happy to go. Forster isn't sellable because he's on a fortune.

So if Forster has recovered enough to be a viable number two we get McCarthys wages off our books and up to £10m to reinvest elsewhere in the team. If not, we don't. So checking it out in a largely meaningless game to see if we could add £10m to our budget, plus free up McCarthys wages is an entirely sensible move. It's worth risking the couple of million for an extra league place we probably wouldn't have got with the other results anyway.

A very sensible post. To be honest, from what I saw on MOTD I didn’t think he looked too bad.

Do you think the insurance would have paid out without proof that his injury was so bad that he couldn’t play again?

That’s always assuming that we have insurance for this sort of thing.

Not a question of playing again really, a question of returning to the same pre-injury level. Doubt that we insure anyway, costs a fortune apparently. Forster used to be a really good keeper so seeing him as he now is is a bit sad.

Nice theory though it seems highly unlikely the club would like to sell a competent keeper on lower wages and keep a liability keeper on high wages that they've been happy to off load for a while...

A very sensible post. To be honest, from what I saw on MOTD I didn’t think he looked too bad.

He was pretty poor. I assume you weren’t at the game but from behind the goal, you could see that his first half saves (which have impressed some people) were routine and papered over some poor technique. Who the f**k parries or claws a shot away that is a foot or so to the side of them? His footwork is shot to pieces - one reason he’s so late moving off and getting down.

Nice theory though it seems highly unlikely the club would like to sell a competent keeper on lower wages and keep a liability keeper on high wages that they've been happy to off load for a while...

You're completely missing the point, in that we were obviously testing him to see if he's improved from liability to being a competent backup once more, because if so it gives us a lot of extra cash to reinvest via McCarthy (who incidentally may want to leave being unhappy at getting dropped); One would assume based on the fact he's improved in training and that he's mentally recovered somewhat.

Of course, you could be right and we purposefully chose him because hes not improved at all and is rubbish, throwing a game while risking his fragile mental state for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It's possible I guess ...

Adam Leitch says on the new Total Saints podcast that Forster is seen as by far our best keeper in training. If that's the case then it's only sensible to give him some games and try to get him over that psychological hurdle.

Adam Leitch says on the new Total Saints podcast that Forster is seen as by far our best keeper in training. If that's the case then it's only sensible to give him some games and try to get him over that psychological hurdle.

Well then he sounds like a used car salesman trying to pass off an old banger as a "good little runner, one careful owner" to some poor mug.

Sounds like crap to me both McCarthy and Gunn have proved to be better keepers than Forster. Even at his best under Koeman there was a distinct feeling it was our defensive quality and organisation that made him look good rather than any ability of his own.

He was pretty poor. I assume you weren’t at the game but from behind the goal, you could see that his first half saves (which have impressed some people) were routine and papered over some poor technique. Who the f**k parries or claws a shot away that is a foot or so to the side of them? His footwork is shot to pieces - one reason he’s so late moving off and getting down.

No, I wasn’t at the game of course.

For what it’s worth I thought that Gunn might have done better with the shot that he parried for Bournemouth’s second goal but that hasn’t been mentioned.

The only person who thinks hes any good is Dave Watson most likely.

"Yeah, Ralf, he's amazing mate" *brushes hair to one side*

Heard that Watson tried to follow Koeman to Everton and applied for the GK Coach job there but didn't get it. Just goes to show what his former boss thought of him.

I truly hope we stop this ridiculous club rule where the new manager can't bring his own GK coach because by all accounts Watson isn't up to it at all. Let Ralph bring in his own man before Gunn ends up ruined.

By all accounts there's plenty of truth in what Crab Lungs says about Watson's training regime.

"Today we're practicing diving to the left". Smash a load of shots to the left. "You saved them all, well done. Let's go and have a breather. Tomorrow we're practicing diving to the right."

Goalkeeping is pretty easy if you know exactly where the shots are going. Sadly those pesky strikers during games don't tell you where they are going to put the ball.

Better off just sticking a traffic cone on the goal line.

Having Shane long and co mi****ting everything he's likely to look best because he's probably diving the wrong way.

McCarthy is on the same wages as Forster.