Spurs 2 Saints 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

Played ourselves right into it, officials the difference in the end.

Draw would have been a more than fair result.

This completely. Thought we played ok. Defence frail but without vvd it will be. Forster did well. Boufal needs to get back to basics. Need to give hoj another go next to Rom. Officials were so biased. 2 of longs offsides were on plus the penalties debacle. Should have been 2-2. Still this was spurs at whl. Thought we did well. We are not going to dominate the top sides away from home

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

A reasonable result, could have easily been a draw. I honestly wonder why I bother with the match thread for for technically related posts these days, given the standard of many of the posters on there regarding actual footy knowledge.

Couldn't agree more, most of the comments are frankly embarrassing, I sometimes wonder if the likes of Batman have ever actually been to a match in their life. Yes we were 2 nil down, but you could see from the body language that our heads hadn't dropped, and unlike our resident experts, believed we could still get something.

We played OK first half and very well in the second, should have had a penalty and at least a point. Spurs at home are a tough nut to crack, no shame in that performance whatsoever.

Onwards and upwards boys, well done.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more, most of the comments are frankly embarrassing, I sometimes wonder if the likes of Batman have ever actually been to a match in their life. Yes we were 2 nil down, but you could see from the body language that our heads hadn't dropped, and unlike our resident experts, believed we could still get something.

We played OK first half and very well in the second, should have had a penalty and at least a point. Spurs at home are a tough nut to crack, no shame in that performance whatsoever.

Onwards and upwards boys, well done.

You what?

How we didn't get a penalty for Tadic being taken out was pretty amazing but he does flounce and dive a bit. He should have buried the chance he had from three yards out though. Profligate again upfront now Gabb is out. Changes everything unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How we didn't get a penalty for Tadic being taken out was pretty amazing but he does flounce and dive a bit. He should have buried the chance he had from three yards out though. Profligate again upfront now Gabb is out. Changes everything unfortunately

Even if he had buried it, it wouldn't have counted as the lino had flagged that it had gone out of play (incorrectly), so perhaps best he blazed it over otherwise we would all of been gutted.

And as for Boufal... well he was quite horrific. All he thinks about is how he can pull of a trick or skill to beat his man. Sometimes it's good for him to do it, but not every time. I knew that he was looking for the nutmeg on Vertonghen in the corner at one point, so I daresay Vertonghen did too. And then we finally build an attack, get the overload and he shoots. Ok, not a dreadful effort, but again it's all about him... knock it through to Cedric, ball across the face, good chance of a goal. But no. He has ability, he can be a great player, but not playing like he did today.

Yep, can't argue with that. Boufal needs to learn that he doesn't have to do it all on his own and it's not all about him, otherwise he won't start many games for us. As you say he definitely has the technique and ability to do well in premier league, but he needs to use it in the right way. Yes, use skill to get away from a defender, but then use your ability to pick out a team-mate with a pass or cross, that's what the best players do. Chances will come for him if he does this and then gets in position for a return pass - he doesn't need to try and score a "worldie" every time he gets it! Save the tricks and party pieces for when we are 4 up.

Thought we played pretty well overall. The Tadic sitter people are debating was offside in the build up wasn't it? Looked from my angle that the lino on the far side raised his flag for it.

Romeu was excellent, Ward Prowse had a good game too. He's been getting stuck in to tackles a lot more recently and looks stronger. Davis grew into the game after a poor first half when he gave the ball away too cheaply. Stephens looks like he could be a very decent CB, it's great to see him getting games against top class players. These experiences can only help his development.

what drives me crazy is the wrap up commentary...

comments in regards to the non-call on Tadic..

"Spurs probably got lucky there" and then concludes with "Good win for Spurs. Now, let's look at the top of the table..."

It's completely casual when it comes to the Top teams. They get all the calls and it just gets brushed off in the analysis .. like, well it's Spurs; they are supposed to win. Honestly, no one cares if Southampton, West Brom, Stoke, Watford, etc. get done. It's just another day in the Premier League.

That's what makes the Premier league, the best league in the world don't you know !

What uave I said that is so embarrassing?

Most of the stuff you post is pretty embarrassing to be honest. Everything is totally negative, and you really don't seem to have any real understanding of top flight football. Don't get me wrong, you're not the only one that is guilty on the match thread, there are plenty of others, but when you post as much rubbish as often as you do, you tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

Wrong. He was definitely onside for the last chance.

I too thought Trippier was keeping him on, from the pattern on the grass.

Also, check this out (not you specifically, shurlock, this is for everyone!):

First of all, anyone who tries the test will find it bl00dy difficult! But secondly, go to 6:55 and look at the result of Clip 16. Pretty sure all pundits would say he was at the very least "just offside there" but they'd be wrong. I don't know what the exact ruling/definition is but I'm guessing this training video is correct.

Slowly, but surely, Puel is building a team with great potential. Spurs have been really solid at home this season, but we put them under pressure for long periods. Some of our build up play was excellent, and there is good variety in the way we move the ball. Injuries and poor decisions from officials have undone us in recent weeks, but fortune can turn. I'm quite excited about what this team could achieve, if we can keep it together.

They're a good side at home, haven't been beat since we did it last season,so I don't know what people expect.

First half, pretty average. Better second. Bertrand had a funny game, looked a bit out of sorts as was Davo. Cedric played well, Redmond ok before fading & OR looked his normal self second half after a shocking first half . Tadic & JWP anonymous 90% of the time. Don't get the criticism of long, he was just long. He affected the game after coming on , unlike Boufal who was woeful. He's trying too hard .

I think that Spurs have 10 league wins in a row at home, and we almost nicked a draw (probably should have with competent officiating). We looked great in the second half. Long and Boufal both had very difficult appearances as subs though. All in all a decent performance against a really strong team with a particularly strong midfield. I enjoyed the battle between Romeu and Wanyama. 6 points from 9 in the last three away games is pretty decent. Here's hoping Gabbiadini is ready to go after the international break.

If it wasnt for these dodgy referees and linesman we'd be top of the league....

5 defeats in the last 7.... But everything will be ok next season (its like reading Ramirez threads from 2012)

0.9 / 10. Possibly being too generous

5 defeats in the last 7.... But everything will be ok next season (its like reading Ramirez threads from 2012)

Or 6 away points from 9. Could you help by briefly outlining a list of teams to have won or drawn at Spurs this season please, and also confirm whether or not when Tadic's leg was kicked in the penalty area you thought it should have been a penalty?

Look forward to reading the update, and in the meantime hope you are getting over the defeat at Stevenage yesterday

what drives me crazy is the wrap up commentary...

comments in regards to the non-call on Tadic..

"Spurs probably got lucky there" and then concludes with "Good win for Spurs. Now, let's look at the top of the table..."

It's completely casual when it comes to the Top teams. They get all the calls and it just gets brushed off in the analysis .. like, well it's Spurs; they are supposed to win. Honestly, no one cares if Southampton, West Brom, Stoke, Watford, etc. get done. It's just another day in the Premier League.

So frustrating. If the two penalty decisions had been reversed, no doubt they would spend 5-10 minutes on motd2 tonight talking about how a poor refereeing decision has cost Spurs slim title chances. Because it was us, nobody cares

So you couldn't find any positive from that performance, and would prefer to offer nothing but your usual negative, flippant dross. Well done you.

So you couldn't find any positive from that performance, and would prefer to offer nothing but your usual negative, flippant dross. Well done you.

did you manage to find a post from me about this game was that was embarrassing for you?

Fair scoreline. Much better second half in terms of controlling the game but probably looked more dangerous first half.

Thought Redmond and JWP were the only positives.

Davis utterly atrocious. Forster not good enough again. Hopefully won't have to see Stephens play again.

Fair scoreline. Much better second half in terms of controlling the game but probably looked more dangerous first half.

Davis utterly atrocious. Forster not good enough again. Hopefully won't have to see Stephens play again.

What did Forster do wrong?

With 15 days to plan and prepare i expected more.

Spurs outplayed us in the 1st half and 2nd half they allowed us to have more of the ball in our own half.

We got a goal and should have kicked on, we didn't. Lots of huff and puff but didnt test Lloris again. Simply no threat or ideas going forward. Classic Saints in 2016

Last 15 mins when we should have been going for it, spurs looked more likely. Even when the 5 minutes added on came up - we didnt even manage to get in the Spurs half and the game whimpers out.

Postives: FF made 3 top saves in 1st half, Romeu looked good in 2nd half.... Have i missed any others?

Just expected a bit more zip and a clear game plan after 15 days of preparation.

Weve lost 5 of the last 7 but mentioning any negatives is "trolling"

Edited by Heisenberg

Seriously? I was thinking today that he's not getting the credit he deserves. He came in sooner than any expected or planned yet he has done pretty well and even held his place against a very talented Caceres. Not unhappy with current centre back pairing at all. The two goals today were down to a stroke of genius and a con on the ref. Cant see either involved defensive mistakes. Having said that, the scoreline could have been far more convincing for Spurs but for 3 fantastic saves from Forster. Really enjoyed watching the game today. Disappointed with the loss obviously but the standard of football is getting back to the level we want.

Have no idea what game some of you were watching. I don't think we played well at all. First half we were all at sea defence wise. Could of gone in at half time 4 down. Second half we had hardly any chances. I don't remember their keeper making a save. Spurs are a decent team but we were second best and how people think we deserved something is just baffling.

Any one of those statements totally discredits you as a serious analyst of a game and players' performances.

All three together are a laughable embarrassment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

did you manage to find a post from me about this game was that was embarrassing for you?

Mate, as I said the first time most of the dross you posted on the match thread was embarrassing. I've had to suffer it once already, do you really think I want to trawl through reams of your dog turd comments again - I'll pass thanks.

Tell you what, try and look at players and games with a bit of perspective, they are professional sportsmen, they are not going to give up on the game after fifteen minutes - even if you do.

Feel free to go back and read if again if you like, take your mate Glasgow with you - should be fun.

Have no idea what game some of you were watching. I don't think we played well at all. First half we were all at sea defence wise. Could of gone in at half time 4 down. Second half we had hardly any chances. I don't remember their keeper making a save. Spurs are a decent team but we were second best and how people think we deserved something is just baffling.

This

Assume you are conveniently ignoring the fact that we were playing away to 2nd in the table Spurs - that'll be the same Spurs who are unbeaten at home this season. Throw in the fact that they were granted a soft penalty and we were denied a stonewall one plus the fact that Gabbi got injured. Spurs were holding on for most of the second half but don't let that cloud your judgement.