Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Yep the general feeling from the masses of Liverpool fans is they are not happy about the signing. But I feel they need to look at the doors this will open and the bigger picture.

All of the Liverpool fans i've heard from are delighted at picking up Rickie for a bargain fee. Saints have acted criminally in selling him at such a knockdown price.

4 million+ for a player of RL's ability, age and standing is decent money there are very very few players like him who fetch that sort of money.

You're right it's decent money. But if we are going to sell our ****ing talisman just before he represents England in the world cup, just after he's finished joint 6th in the combined goals & assists stats, I want a bit more than "decent money".

Cannavaro

Given

Carvallho

Sensini

Laudrup

Weah

Lucarelli

Lima

Demichalles

Forlan

Mackaay

etc etc

Give it up mate you are having a mare

You think Lambert is comparable to those players? :lol:

Cannavaro went to Real Madrid having just captained Italy to World Cup victory for crying out loud.

Given is a keeper

Carvallho had just won the League with Chelsea

Sensini went to Lazio when they were spending silly money

Weah - Former World player of the year

Laudrup - won titles in about 4 different countries

You're comparing Lambert to some of the best players the world has ever seen.

£4 million is a joke. Double figures for goals and assists, how much will it cost to get a player in who is capable of that sort of contribution. Lose Lallana and we will lack any sort of attacking threat except for J Rod.

J Rod cost us £7m...and I think he's as important, especially last season.

Doesn't matter if Lambert is 25 or 50. He's still a massively important player for us. £4M is no compensation for his departure. How many games have we won without him? We still can't win without him and haven't been able to replace him.

Can you name players of Lamberts ability or less then please?

its got little to do with that. It is his worth to us

we have to replace him as well as getting the additional striker we needed anyway

with rodriguez out till october and ossie probably having no future. we have done a huge disservice to the team IMO

Can you name players of Lamberts ability or less then please?

Depends on what you consider his ability level? Some on here seem to be implying he is past it when in reality he is coming off having 13 goals and 10 assists putting him in the top 5 in combination points. Plus he is going to the world cup.

So in my opinion he is better then all those I listed because scoring goals and creating them is the hardest thing to do in this league. So if say Parker went for £4m to Fulham at the same age who was recently also an international it sort of puts it into a perspective that he would be worth more no?

Doesn't matter if Lambert is 25 or 50. He's still a massively important player for us. £4M is no compensation for his departure. How many games have we won without him? We still can't win without him and haven't been able to replace him.

This

its got little to do with that. It is his worth to us

we have to replace him as well as getting the additional striker we needed anyway

with rodriguez out till october and ossie probably having no future. we have done a huge disservice to the team IMO

It's not even June yet? You don't think we'll bring in 2 strikers in the next 3 months??!

You think Lambert is comparable to those players? :lol:

Cannavaro went to Real Madrid having just captained Italy to World Cup victory for crying out loud.

Given is a keeper

Carvallho had just won the League with Chelsea

Sensini went to Lazio when they were spending silly money

Weah - Former World player of the year

Laudrup - won titles in about 4 different countries

You're comparing Lambert to some of the best players the world has ever seen.

So someone who is top 5 in regards to combination points (Assists and goals) in the hardest league in professional football is not world class? Even though he plays for a world team?

It's not even June yet? You don't think we'll bring in 2 strikers in the next 2 and a half months??!

worth their salt?

no.

we needed a striker cover in january and we never got it

not only will we need two strikers, one of which to replace what lambert brings (which will cost north of £15m)

we will probably need another top LB and wide player

not forgetting the additional CB, GK we also need without anyone else leaving

cant see us 'strengthening' at all

Depends on what you consider his ability level? Some on here seem to be implying he is past it when in reality he is coming off having 13 goals and 10 assists putting him in the top 5 in combination points. Plus he is going to the world cup.

So in my opinion he is better then all those I listed because scoring goals and creating them is the hardest thing to do in this league. So if say Parker went for £4m to Fulham at the same age who was recently also an international it sort of puts it into a perspective that he would be worth more no?

You think that he is better than the players on that list? Wow, I'm just going to let that sink, in with you, because that is one of THE most ridiculous things I have EVER heard.

Too true, the contribution he has made every season is worth so much more to us than a figure like that. I can understand why the fee is that low, but it makes no sense whatsoever to let him go. This board are a soft touch, there can be no doubt about that.Any player who can provide a similar contribution is likely to cost in excess of £20 million. Most of us would take Bony or Benteke, but I can't see it happening as we aren't in any better a position than their respective clubs

You think that he is better than the players on that list? Wow, I'm just going to let that sink, in with you, because that is one of THE most ridiculous things I have EVER heard.

for us, right now. he is better

I have no idea of the circumstances of why silenzi left his club. but lambert leaving when we already needed another striker with one out for 6 months is utter madness

So someone who is top 5 in regards to combination points (Assists and goals) in the hardest league in professional football is not world class? Even though he plays for a world team?

Lambert is NOT world class, no, he is not up with Zidane, Cannavaro, Ronaldo (Fat), Ronaldo (thin) etc. Are you SERIOUSLY trying to say he is?

What is it to do with us how much money we got for him, if the owners are happy with the deal then so be it. Doesn't matter whether it is £1m or £20m it's what replacements we get. The main thing is whether this will affect ticket sales and some fans becoming disillusioned.

So the 5th best striker in the Pl playing backup for 11th best country in the world is world class? Gotcha. That makes Rodriguez a Galactico.

I don't find that ridiculous at all. He is better then them at those periods, he has a better strike rate then of Eto at Anhzi. Carvallo after his 1st season went on to play a huge 17 games in the next 2 seasons. Laudrup would be the only one I would say was better.

If he was not good then why would the team who finished second want to buy him?

Sorry mate, I've had to blog all that.

It does matter and £4m is compensation. It buys us half a J Rod or Lovren, someone who CDAJFU for the best part of 10 years, as opposed to Lambert who will need replacing in the next year or two whether we sell him or not.

No, Lambert is not world class. He is a good player in a mid table Premier League team. Eric Djemba Djemba played for a 'World Team'

It does matter and £4m is compensation. It buys us half a J Rod or Lovren, someone who CDAJFU for the best part of 10 years, as opposed to Lambert who will need replacing in the next year or two whether we sell him or not.

No, Lambert is not world class. He is a good player in a mid table Premier League team. Eric Djemba Djemba played for a 'World Team'

So we can't afford half a Lovren without selling Lambert?

I don't find that ridiculous at all. He is better then them at those periods, he has a better strike rate then of Eto at Anhzi. Carvallo after his 1st season went on to play a huge 17 games in the next 2 seasons. Laudrup would be the only one I would say was better.

If he was not good then why would the team who finished second want to buy him?

So what you're saying is that these players then went down hill, suffered injury problems and were generally less effective than they had been at the peak of their career.

On what basis do you believe Lambert will be different?

so then DPS

you think we will emerge come 2359 on 31 Aug stronger up front than we are right now?

yes or no

Hopefully our academy will have produced a few world class players by 2359, if man is still alive, if woman can survive..

This is not merely about a price tag. It is about broken promises, a weak board which will encourage big clubs to steal our players and mainly a lost belief among fans and players. Lambert was the first signing showing we were going places and the first sale showing we are in decline.

Yes, as we are pretty weak there at the moment with just Lambert there.

so, with rodriguez injured then (17 goals)

lambert sold (14 goals and 10 assists)

you think we will be stronger when the transfer window SLAMS shut???

Actually, he's a top class striker playing for a team that almost won the Premier League last season... from next week. Its frightening how many posters like you don't understand the overall contribution Lambert brings to a team... fortunately or unfortunately Gerrard, Rodgers and Hodgson do.

Lambert is NOT world class, no, he is not up with Zidane, Cannavaro, Ronaldo (Fat), Ronaldo (thin) etc. Are you SERIOUSLY trying to say he is?

Where did I mention Zidane or the Ronaldo bros?

I believe he is world class. Not Ronaldo or Messi type World Class because very few are. Torres for example has won everything would you consider him world class? RL has 75 PL games and 28 goals. That's a 37% strike rate.

You will struggle to find English strikers with the same rate.

Where did I mention Zidane or the Ronaldo bros?

I believe he is world class. Not Ronaldo or Messi type World Class because very few are. Torres for example has won everything would you consider him world class? RL has 75 PL games and 28 goals. That's a 37% strike rate.

You will struggle to find English strikers with the same rate.

No, I don't consider Torres World Class. I would say there are probably 15 players worldwide who are world class, and he's not one of them (neither is Lambert).

Whether he's world class or not is utterly irrelevant. The only thing that counts is his specific importance to the team in the here and now -much of which is probably discounted in the transfer market. In short, his value to us is greater than the value market puts on him. In those circumstances, one party would normally say thanks but no thanks and walk away from a deal.

Whether he's world class or not is irrelevant - the only thing that counts is his specific importance to the team -much of which can't just be bought on the open market. In short, his value to us is greater than the value market puts on him. In those circumstances, one party would normally say thanks but no thanks and walk away from a deal.

I don't disagree with what your saying there, apart from the fact that I think this would have been pushed through by Lambert if we didn't agree to it, souring our feelings towards him. I just disagree with the ridiculous statements being made above by St Mongo and Brett from Camden.

At the moment we don't have Rodriguez. So do I think we will be stronger than just have Lambert. Yes, yes I do.

that is my point. with Jrod out, ossie with seemingly no future

lamberts value to the squad is far greater than £4m IMO

as it stands, we needed ANOTHER to replace ossie had lambert stayed and jrod fully fit.

now, we will need 2. so there is little chance we will be stronger for selling lambert

I would imagine the Lambert fee gets loaded to keep the Lallana fee, and therefore the Bournemouth sell-on figure, down.

No no no no

Bristol Rovers @Official_BRFC • 23m

The club can confirm that the transfer agreement of Lambert to Southampton did include a sell on clause #BristolRovers

Would Chelsea flog Torres for 4m, Arsenal flog Giroud for 4m, spurs sell Adeboyor for 4m, City flog Dzecko for 4m???

No so why are we selling Lambert for 4m???

A replacement of his ilk would cost double that so how does that make financial sense????? My guess is they won't replace him and will trsut the younger players to bail us out. There may be a token signing but maybe a loan or free but I can't imagine us spending over £5 on anybody. We will sell Adam and Luke and this crap about us not needing to sell is crap and don't believe it, why else are we selling? I can't imagine Rickie is that unhappy after we had the finish we had.

So what you're saying is that these players then went down hill, suffered injury problems and were generally less effective than they had been at the peak of their career.

On what basis do you believe Lambert will be different?

Other then a few I believe they did go down hill. Some (Eto) went purely for the money. Some however continued to progress Laudrup, Cannavaro. Some however couldn't repeat the feats they had at their new clubs i.e Forlan.

Lambert has shown he can stay fit, he has a good mentality and keeps himself healthy. I think he will get better at Liverpool due to the players around him. But he won't be playing 37 of the 38 PL games for Liverpool, far from it. But he won't be one of those players to go downhill. I put him in the same bracket as players like Gerrard and Lampard. They can play for a long time because they have that desire to play football and look after themselves. People are saying he will be there for a year or two. I bet you he will still be playing at 35. And still banging in the goals.