Jack Stephens

Bad Wolf

I'm reluctant to be too critical of Stephens because he's still very inexperienced at Premier League level and it's not his fault that he's been thrown in at the deep end, but boy does he need to learn fast.

He has been bullied by both Llorente and Carroll. Forget about the quality of Obiang's through ball, there is no way he should be letting Carroll get inside him for the first goal yesterday. He didn't cover himself in glory for the third goal either. Granted it was Romeu who gave the free kick away, but it was Stephens' initial indecision that he was trying to make up for.

I don't think he was helped by Yoshida at all yesterday, who should be stepping up to the plate as the experienced centre half. I thought their positioning was largely poor and the gap between them was too wide on several occasions, as seen by the equaliser.

Technically he looks decent on the ball and, as others have said, I like that he has the confidence to try and bring the ball out from the back at times. I can see why the club have supposedly earmarked him as a defensive midfielder, but I'm not convinced with him as a centre back in the long term.

Think he'd be ok, if he was playing alongside Cedric Bertrand and VVD at the back.

Sam Gallagher is a create example. Players need to do their apprenticeship. You can't become world class over night.

He will have learnt from playing against Carroll. He will be better equipped, but he needs a lot more experience.

Ibrahimovic will teach him a lesson in the league cup. I hope he's ready. Lady Luck may need to play a major part.

Look short of a yard of pace to me which will find him out in the Premiership.

Given that Jose Fonte has more than held his own for us for 7-8 years, I find it hard to believe anyone thinks a lack of pace is the be all and end all of a successful centre back.

In any case, Stephens moves pretty well - far better than Fonte ever did - and has shown enough mobility to do a job at right back too.

His reaction to danger might be slow - as evidenced with West Ham's first goal yesterday (not that the more experienced Yoshida reacted any better) - but I don't think Stephens' pace is going to be the attribute that makes or breaks him at this level.

I thought he did all right yesterday - certainly not the worst player in a Saints shirt, in spite of being the least experienced.

Given that Jose Fonte has more than held his own for us for 7-8 years, I find it hard to believe anyone thinks a lack of pace is the be all and end all of a successful centre back.

In any case, Stephens moves pretty well - far better than Fonte ever did - and has shown enough mobility to do a job at right back too.

His reaction to danger might be slow - as evidenced with West Ham's first goal yesterday (not that the more experienced Yoshida reacted any better) - but I don't think Stephens' pace is going to be the attribute that makes or breaks him at this level.

I thought he did all right yesterday - certainly not the worst player in a Saints shirt, in spite of being the least experienced.

Call it lack of pace or slow reactions, the net effect is the same and it cost us the first goal yesterday. He'll have to be smarter and adapt fast if he is to survive at this level,

Call it lack of pace or slow reactions, the net effect is the same and it cost us the first goal yesterday. He'll have to be smarter and adapt fast if he is to survive at this level,

I think in time he could make a decent holding midfielder he looks comfortable on the ball and do a Jack Cork type role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk