Over 70's Isolation

spyinthesky

It’s not just about them though is it. It’s passing it on to others, partners, kids, grandkids, other vulnerable ones. It’s selfish and irresponsible to ignore advice given which is potentially a matter of life or death. If you’re prepared to gamble your own life fun, but don’t put others at risk because your MOT is more important.

What? It’s not only over 70s who can pass the disease on.... if that’s your attitude every single one of us should go into isolation

Where did I say it’s unfair? People know the risks, they can make their own choice. The only objection I have to your view is that you state they shouldn’t be allowed to have treatment if they decide that they’d rather live normally rather than shut themselves away. And I think you know that by negatively impacted I mean those actually being asked to go into isolation. We all know someone who would be affected by this

P.s. I’m not even 40 yet, but nice assumption of my age.

I didn’t say they shouldn’t get treatment, I said back of the queue

What? It’s not only over 70s who can pass the disease on.... if that’s your attitude every single one of us should go into isolation

Obviously, but There is a reason why the over 70s are the ones being talked about self isolating.

There are many more reasons than these. It’s impractical.

Besides, what’s the point? Who are we trying to protect? Why lock yourself away when you might only have a few years left to live?

Might as well kill your self now.

Blimey.

It's not just about you.

There is a slightly more niche issue. My dad is 79 with heart and lung problems galore so is ripe for this viruses picking. However he also has cognitive issues, can't get to grips with complex ideas easily, can't remember much of what you tell him. He is however able to get out and about (just).

So despite sitting him down and telling him he needs to stay in as much as possible, that I can do everything he needs in regards of going to town or the bank, he is still insisting on going out tomorrow to the supermarket and the bank.

He's not being selfish, he just doesn't understand what's going on. What the hell am I supposed to do? Been tearing my hair out thinking about him using the cash machine after someone's coughed the virus up all over it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Genuinely didn't realise there were so many old selfish people. I'm always told that the greatest generation were selfless. Maybe not. Prepared to not only get themselves killed but kill others as well. Awful.

You really don’t get it do you?

You won’t get infected by an old person. You will get infected by someone you work with or someone you live with. Old people are not a threat to you. If an older person gets infected it will most probably be from a youngster.

Getting this virus is not a death sentence, far from it.

There are nowhere near enough ICU beds for the numbers that will need them, something like 3,700 out of tens of thousands. It won’t make any difference if those over 70 self-isolate. Most of them never go anywhere near a youngster anyway.

Genuinely didn't realise there were so many old selfish people. I'm always told that the greatest generation were selfless. Maybe not. Prepared to not only get themselves killed but kill others as well. Awful.

They are more resilient. Younger generations seem to be more scared and judgemental. These threads show how many sanctimonious fckers there are who love to sign off with ‘saving lives is more important’.

There is a slightly more niche issue. My dad is 79 with heart and lung problems galore so is ripe for this viruses picking. However he also has cognitive issues, can't get to grips with complex ideas easily, can't remember much of what you tell him. He is however able to get out and about (just).

So despite sitting him down and telling him he needs to stay in as much as possible, that I can do everything he needs in regards of going to town or the bank, he is still insisting on going out tomorrow to the supermarket and the bank.

He's not being selfish, he just doesn't understand what's going on. What the hell am I supposed to do? Been tearing my hair out thinking about him using the cash machine after someone's coughed the virus up all over it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

As you say, a niche scenario. Completely different to what those on here are saying.

Perhaps offer yourself to get his essentials, money etc? Take him out for a drive yourself?

Appreciate you’re still at risk of catching it, but better than leaving him to his own accord

They are more resilient. Younger generations seem to be more scared and judgemental. These threads show how many sanctimonious fckers there are who love to sign off with ‘saving lives is more important’.

They’re not more resilient, they’re more at risk but well done for trying to act cleaver and funny.

If the comparison is going out for half hour a day to saving a life, and you don’t think that’s more important then you need to take a look at yourself buddy.

You won’t get infected by an old person. You will get infected by someone you work with or someone you live with. Old people are not a threat to you. If an older person gets infected it will most probably be from a youngster.

There are nowhere near enough ICU beds for the numbers that will need them, something like 3,700 out of tens of thousands. It won’t make any difference if those over 70 self-isolate. Most of them never go anywhere near a youngster anyway.

its not about you infecting someone, it is about you being by far the most likely needing a hospital bed if infected. If by taking a break from society for a few months gives the NHS a fighting chance, why wouldn't you when asked?

incredible attitude

I think it’s you that doesn’t get it.

It’s not about a young person catching it from an over 70, it’s about an over 70 catching it from a young person. Yes some are fit and healthy, fitter than some 30 year olds but a lot aren’t.

If you’re fine with getting it so you can get your MOT done fine, but it’s not about you, it’s about the other people you might infect who are over 70 and don’t want to catch it.

its not about you infecting someone, it is about you being by far the most likely needing a hospital bed if infected. If by taking a break from society for a few months gives the NHS a fighting chance, why wouldn't you when asked?

incredible attitude

Because it’s my NHS too.

Don’t you realise that the NHS is not going to cope at all. It is going to be overwhelmed by a factor of ten or twenty. Whatever older people do is going to make no difference. Tens of millions of people isolating themselves from society is not going to make a blind bit of difference. It won’t ‘give the NHS a fighting chance’.

It’s not just about them though is it. It’s passing it on to others, partners, kids, grandkids, other vulnerable ones. It’s selfish and irresponsible to ignore advice given which is potentially a matter of life or death. If you’re prepared to gamble your own life fun, but don’t put others at risk because your MOT is more important.

This. As an addendum, it's the sheer selfishness of knowing that they could be taking a hospital bed / respirator / doctors from someone else that I can't get over.

Car mot though, ffs. Get a mate to take it. Get the garage to collect it. Just don't be selfish.

They’re not more resilient, they’re more at risk but well done for trying to act cleaver and funny.

If the comparison is going out for half hour a day to saving a life, and you don’t think that’s more important then you need to take a look at yourself buddy.

If you have lived all your live and have independence to be told stay in doors is not an easy thing. As well as being resigned to not living forever and making most of your few years left - they can’t be extended forever, You have no empathy by not understanding and then calling them selfish.

You really don’t get it either, do you? What threat is anybody over 70 to you?

Why are they more of a threat than a thirty year old? Answer - they aren’t.

Smokers are also more at risk. Should we tell every smoker to stay at home?

It's a threat to me if my father dies because a load of people increase their chances of getting critically ill and taking a bed he could need by ignoring government advice and doing whatever they want because they couldn't care less about their own wellbeing.

Because it’s my NHS too.

Don’t you realise that the NHS is not going to cope at all. It is going to be overwhelmed by a factor of ten or twenty. Whatever older people do is going to make no difference. Tens of millions of people isolating themselves from society is not going to make a blind bit of difference. It won’t ‘give the NHS a fighting chance’.

You’re clearly thick as fuc k so I’d stop posting mate.

Because it’s my NHS too.

Don’t you realise that the NHS is not going to cope at all. It is going to be overwhelmed by a factor of ten or twenty. Whatever older people do is going to make no difference. Tens of millions of people isolating themselves from society is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

shall we all just give up because people like you need an MOT?

Believe it or not, if the vast majority of people do what is required, the NHS has a fighting chance of helping huge swathes of the country.

After seeing the utter morons destroying Tesco's (on the news) and attitudes like this. What is the point?

I think it’s you that doesn’t get it.

It’s not about a young person catching it from an over 70, it’s about an over 70 catching it from a young person. Yes some are fit and healthy, fitter than some 30 year olds but a lot aren’t.

If you’re fine with getting it so you can get your MOT done fine, but it’s not about you, it’s about the other people you might infect who are over 70 and don’t want to catch it.

As I said, it’s not all about MOTs but if that’s all that you can understand then fair enough. Try thinking about all the other aspects of life that need dealing with.

This. As an addendum, it's the sheer selfishness of knowing that they could be taking a hospital bed / respirator / doctors from someone else that I can't get over.

Car mot though, ffs. Get a mate to take it. Get the garage to collect it. Just don't be selfish.

Such selflessness displayed by everyone else in the shops this weekend. The oldies could learn from our lovely community spirit.

If you have lived all your live and have independence to be told stay in doors is not an easy thing. As well as being resigned to not living forever and making most of your few years left - they can’t be extended forever, You have no empathy by not understanding and then calling them selfish.
No it's not easy at all. I think most have acknowledged that.

If you decide to ignore A clear message of stay in (for a few months) or you significantly increase your chances of death or even worse taking up a bed and killing someone else is selfish. I don’t care how you put it.

I'll answer your first point. The other two are daft.

Anyone that takes a hospital bed through their own selfish stupidity is a threat. That bed could have gone to someone else who hadn't been selfish. That bed could have been for me or someone I know. We all have a responsibility in this situation - being selfish/stubborn and prejudicing others is downright irresponsible.

I'll answer your first point. The other two are daft.

Anyone that takes a hospital bed through their own selfish stupidity is a threat. That bed could have gone to someone else who hadn't been selfish. That bed could have been for me or someone I know. We all have a responsibility in this situation - being selfish/stubborn and prejudicing others is downright irresponsible.

100% correct

If you decide to ignore A clear message of stay in (for a few months) or you significantly increase your chances of death or even worse taking up a bed and killing someone else is selfish. I don’t care how you put it.

The few months is unlikely to have an end point.

People have different appetite for risk hence why the behaviours need to be factored in.

So if you were told to stay in for 3 years to save some lives you’d suck it up because you see the sense?

Because it’s my NHS too.

Well what if every old person did this and it stopped the NHS from being swamped for an extra day or an extra week? That could potentially save quite a few lives. Clearly those in charge think its worth attempting and I think most sensible people would go through with it even if there's a chance to save a handful of lives. But if the MOT needs doing then f*ck let's all just give up and ignore the advice. Who cares because that immunosupressed cancer survivor and mother of two was going to die anyway.

The few months is unlikely to have an end point.

People have different appetite for risk hence why the behaviours need to be factored in.

So if you were told to stay in for 3 years to save some lives you’d suck it up because you see the sense?

That’s a different argument all together, isn’t it.

As I said, it’s not all about MOTs but if that’s all that you can understand then fair enough. Try thinking about all the other aspects of life that need dealing with.
What aspect of life needs dealing with so urgently that you would put your life and more importantly the lives of other vulnerable people in danger?

Such selflessness displayed by everyone else in the shops this weekend. The oldies could learn from our lovely community spirit.

Completely different issue Whelk, but I agree, the panic buying and stockpiling is outrageous. But I won't die if someone buys too many loo rolls and I have to use a rag. I will if someone ignores sage advice and catches it cos they "need" to take their car for an mot and take the bed I could have had if they weren't so selfish.

Smokers and fat fckers with asthma should be quarantined. Nation is in such a state of unhealthiness and much of their own making.

I swear the average Costco shopper is about 18 stone.

Such a lovely human. Sure you’d give up a respirator dir those more in need. Your kindness shines through.
If I'd ignored government advice and went and got myself infected then I would hope I wouldn't be given the option of a bed if other more deserving cases needed it.

You’re clearly thick as fuc k so I’d stop posting mate.

That’s harsh. Look, many of us oldies will find it difficult to lock ourselves away for weeks or maybe months. We are the most at risk group and less likely to get a hospital bed and a respirated when the **** hits the fan, so cut us some slack please. We are all trying to get our heads around what it means to us and our loved ones. It is entirely possible that some of us won’t be here to slag off Gao, Long, JWP etc next season. I don’t see any of the general public giving a flying gig about others given that they are hoovering up supplies before the oldies can get out. As ever, when there are periods of great stress on society, we see the best and the worst of human behaviour. There will a lot worse than people breaking the isolating advice. Just wait until a black market appears and low life’s look to make money out of the situation.

That’s harsh. Look, many of us oldies will find it difficult to lock ourselves away for weeks or maybe months. We are the most at risk group and less likely to get a hospital bed and a respirated when the **** hits the fan, so cut us some slack please. We are all trying to get our heads around what it means to us and our loved ones. It is entirely possible that some of us won’t be here to slag off Gao, Long, JWP etc next season. I don’t see any of the general public giving a flying gig about others given that they are hoovering up supplies before the oldies can get out. As ever, when there are periods of great stress on society, we see the best and the worst of human behaviour. There will a lot worse than people breaking the isolating advice. Just wait until a black market appears and low life’s look to make money out of the situation.

It’s not harsh at all. If he can’t see that limiting exposure for people who are considered ‘high risk’ and most likely to use hospital beds, isn’t going to give the NHS a fighting chance, then he clearly isn’t very intelligent.

That and his attitude is staggering.

SOG, I get that. As I've said, I have folks in their mid 70's, both with respiratory issues, one of them acute. I hate the idea of them being caged in for months, but I'd hate them to die on a trolley through their own inability to do as requested.

I don't like this deflection from the issue by referring to other issues. This is a single, and bloody important, issue.

It’s not harsh at all. If he can’t see that limiting exposure for people who are considered ‘high risk’ and most likely to use hospital beds, isn’t going to give the NHS a fighting chance, then he clearly isn’t very intelligent.

That and his attitude is staggering.

This is the thing though. They will prioritise hospital beds and respirators to those with the best chance of survival, which rules out many of us OAPs. Also if it was so vital that the over 70’s were to lock themselves away, why not do it now? What is to stop them getting infected in the next week or so?

This is the thing though. They will prioritise hospital beds and respirators to those with the best chance of survival, which rules out many of us OAPs. Also if it was so vital that the over 70’s were to lock themselves away, why not do it now? What is to stop them getting infected in the next week or so?

We can cope at the moment as numbers are low.

Smokers and fat fckers with asthma should be quarantined. Nation is in such a state of unhealthiness and much of their own making.

I swear the average Costco shopper is about 18 stone.

There is a very good GP who has written a few books and does a podcast, Dr Rajad Chatterlee, he says 80% of the patients he sees don’t need a prescription they need a lifestyle change, more exercise, better diet, less booze, more fresh air. I completely agree with him.

Cant think of too many day to day activities that the majority of people need to do that I couldn’t put off or ask for assistance for so I would not give or get a potentially life threatening condition too. Everyone has a responsibility but it seems like for others they’re own selfish means are more important. Bet they’re also be the first to moan the government hasn’t done enough too.

You do realise this is about protecting the most vulnerable group of people from the virus, and not that they will pass it on to younger people who have a greater chance of surviving it don't you? Nobody is trying to deny over 70's anything - just trying to keep them as safe as possible. My mother is 85 and if staying indoors for a few weeks increases her chances of staying safe then I'm all for it (well aware it's not a guarantee).

You do realise this is about protecting the most vulnerable group of people from the virus, and not that they will pass it on to younger people who have a greater chance of surviving it don't you? Nobody is trying to deny over 70's anything - just trying to keep them as safe as possible. My mother is 85 and if staying indoors for a few weeks increases her chances of staying safe then I'm all for it (well aware it's not a guarantee).

The thing is once you give people a choice some will chose not to. If it really is that crucial then the Government have to make it mandatory.

If we believe half of what the Daily Mail is saying (ie Coronavirus will run through to Spring 2021 and 80% of us will be affected with millions dying) then the affect on our society will be similar to a major war.

The virus is escalating in other European countries and will undoubtedly spread across the US and rest of the world.

By common consent the worst is yet to come

This puts our obsession with football into sharp contrast.