Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

You have no idea what went on behind the scenes. Maybe he didn't want to play them. Certainly if he thought he was going to be going to Man U, he might want to keep himself available. But that is 100% conjecture, much like a lot of what others are posting.

Everything about our European campaign was just odd. Puel's tactics were baffling and the lack of passion and commitment from the entire squad was frankly insulting to those who made the trip for the away games. That was a golden opportunity to make club history and instead if fighting tooth and nail we bowed out with a whimper. Would we have played better with Jose in the squad? I'm not so sure.

I can't speak for the away games but I did all the home games and I don't remember a lack of effort or passion from the team. The last home game was disappointing but we were 15 minutes from going through.

Edited by doddisalegend

you play your best players/team if you want to progress, they were big games for the club and perhaps he may just have made the difference with his leadership in one of the games to get the right result

We let in 4 goals in 6 games. Defending was never the problem.

I can't speak for the away games but I did all the home games and I don't remember a lack of effort or passion from the team. The last hone game was disappointing but were 15 minutes from going through.

Really? I thought we looked awful for the home game against Hapoel Be'er Sheva and none of our players stepped up. The home Milan game was the only match I thought we actually looked like we wanted it, which is obviously going to be the case with players wanting headlines and scouts watching.

Despite their improvement, Yoshida and Stephens are not the answer long term.

Actually Stephens at least probably is the long term answer, that's why he is still here and being developed. He's not the short term answer, perhaps that's what you meant. Yoshida is both, though I would hope we have someone else lined up as well.

Seems a few on here will be turning up to the Leicester game in a Saints shirt with Million, 9 on the back.

Unless you adequately replace the player then the fee means absolutely nothing to a fan of a PL team. We have money, we need good players and he is a very good player so not sure how people can celebrate a transfer fee?!

Actually Stephens at least probably is the long term answer, that's why he is still here and being developed. He's not the short term answer, perhaps that's what you meant. Yoshida is both, though I would hope we have someone else lined up as well.

See what you mean. However Yoshida has always been 3rd choice for a reason, he is having a good season but not convinced he is at the standard of Fonte at his best.

Stephens has done nothing yet at senior level to suggest he is short, medium or long term answer IMO. He clearly has some potential and I hope he develops.

Seems a few on here will be turning up to the Leicester game in a Saints shirt with Million, 9 on the back.

Unless you adequately replace the player then the fee means absolutely nothing to a fan of a PL team. We have money, we need good players and he is a very good player so not sure how people can celebrate a transfer fee?!

People still think it's 2004 and clearly haven't grasped the economy of the PL in todays World. £8-9M isn't that big a deal. There not many 1-2M transfers involving anyone with top PL experience behind them anymore. I agree that the fee itself is not something to get all giddy about.

This is probably the least bothered I've been about all the players that have left. I'm not going to cry about the club moving on any player in his thirties especially if they can get a decent fee for him. I'm going to cry even less if that player put in a transfer request and made quite clear he'd rather be else where. I will be bothered if we don't get in a decent replacement.

The transfers that bother me are the young one like Oxlade Chamberlin, Luke Shaw and Calum Chambers young players with great promise that we, as fans, never really got to appreciate or see develop playing for saints. We've have had Fonte's best years and he isn't going to get any better (in fact he is more than likely to get worse) IMO, sentimentally aside, Fonte is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to move on and replace with good young players.

...of course if we aren't going to replace him then this is a bit Fubar

This is probably the least bothered I've been about all the players that have left. I'm not going to cry about the club moving on any player in his thirties especially if they can get a decent fee for him. I'm going to cry even less if that player put in a transfer request and made quite clear he'd rather be else where. I will be bothered if we don't get in a decent replacement.

The transfers that bother me are the young one like Oxlade Chamberlin, Luke Shaw and Calum Chambers young players with great promise that we, as fans, never really got to appreciate or see develop playing for saints. We've have had Fonte's best years and he isn't going to get any better (in fact he is more than likely to get worse) IMO, sentimentally aside, Fonte is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to move on and replace with good young players.

Spot on

Would you rather:

1. Replace now with a signing but not someone who is your first choice replacement as they aren't available in Jan.

2. Make do with what we have til the summer and then sign our number one target as replacement

3. Loan someone who is on par with Yoshida and then buy number one target in summer.

Would you rather:

1. Replace now with a signing but not someone who is your first choice replacement as they aren't available in Jan.

2. Make do with what we have til the summer and then sign our number one target as replacement

3. Loan someone who is on par with Yoshida and then buy number one target in summer.

4. Sign Sakho

Would you rather:

Depends how high you rate Yoshida really.

I don't believe with our resources we cannot find better.

I certainly think we should bring in a good defender this window to blood him in before VVD goes next window.

If VVD gets sent off or injured we are buggered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Sakho better than Yoshida?

Of course he is, probably better than Fonte as well. Just don't understand Klopp casting him aside like that when their defence so often looks shaky. Then again Klopp is unfathomable on occasions; like why he bought that shîte keeper who really is no better than Mignolet.

will have to take your word for it, as I've not seen that much of him and when I did there was nothing to wrote home about.

I wonder if any other clubs are looking at him? I have read a lot of desperate come get me type stuff probably put out by Liverpool, but not much saying anyone is having talks. Why are West Ham not looking at him rather than Fonte I wonder.

will have to take your word for it, as I've not seen that much of him and when I did there was nothing to wrote home about.

I wonder if any other clubs are looking at him? I have read a lot of desperate come get me type stuff probably put out by Liverpool, but not much saying anyone is having talks. Why are West Ham not looking at him rather than Fonte I wonder.

Easy one...too much money. Fonte is very cheap option for them. I'd also expect Sakho to be a bit picky where he goes.

He's 25 or 26, was a starter in the France side last WC, he's not going to take a bit part club.

Yoshida has been as good as Jose this season. Therefore he is perfectly capable of replacing this seasons Jose Fonte. What he may not replace is last seasons Jose Fonte. The big question is which Jose Fonte will West Ham get. If it's last seasons version , then they've got a good buy. If it's this season's we've mugged them off.

Yoshida has been as good as Jose this season. Therefore he is perfectly capable of replacing this seasons Jose Fonte. What he may not replace is last seasons Jose Fonte. The big question is which Jose Fonte will West Ham get. If it's last seasons version , then they've got a good buy. If it's this season's we've mugged them off.

If that was true then Yoshida would have played more in the league, but still, downgrading a player when he's set to leave is the norm on this forum.

Yoshida never really been given a fair crack and maybe an extended run would do him good. Many players (esp strikers) coming from weaker leagues are given time to adjust, even a whole season. Yoshi in his first season did struggle to adapt a bit. Then he was replaced by Toby, Lovren and VVD, and fell down the pecking order. Confidence and an extended run might prove him to be better than a lot think. Maybe being captain for the night vs Norwich will also give him a boost.

That's absolutely spot on.

I can't help feeling a little bit sorry for him as he seems to have ****ed on all of his fireworks. Missing half a season directly after winning the Euro's is a bit daft, especially if it's because he's thrown his dollies out of the pram. Also missing half a season at 33 is even more stupid as he's probably got no more than 18 months left of playing halfway decent football at the top level.

About 12 million reasons if the transfer fees in the press are correct.

If that was true then Yoshida would have played more in the league, but still, downgrading a player when he's set to leave is the norm on this forum.

Speak for yourself, I've been saying all season Yoshi is as good as Fonte right now. Several others seem to agree.

Jose has not been as good this season as other seasons. That's not me downgrading him , he's downgraded himself. Yoshida has stepped up to the plate this season and played a lot better than previous seasons. This season they're on a par. That is my opinion , and I would still have it if West Ham were buying Yoshida & Jose was staying .

if we had not let in 2 of those we would have progressed , in fact had not let in one in the last game we would be through.Fine margins

We had the second best defence in the group stage, after Shalke, and we didn't progress.

After the first group game, only Virgil managed to score in 5 games.

I think I know where the problem lies.

fonte and Yoshida being on par now is damning on how far fonte has dropped in performance.

still, Les went on record to state we would not consider a bid unless the fee was right and we had a replacement lined up.

hopefully, that replacement is good enough to keep Yoshida as 3rd choice for the remainder of the season

Easy one...too much money. Fonte is very cheap option for them. I'd also expect Sakho to be a bit picky where he goes.

He's 25 or 26, was a starter in the France side last WC, he's not going to take a bit part club.

Worth pointing out that Fonte, our record earner until Van Dijk came along, is getting a pay rise at West Ham.

I do wonder how many on here actually go to or watch Saints games that are available online. Yoshi has taken his chance this season and deservedly is playing alongside VVD.

Yoshi has the perfect temperament, he has been a model professional and his performances have been good this season. I except he has has made the odd error.....so what so has VVD and he is our outstanding player this season.

I'm sorry Fonte is going and the way he appears to be leaving.....if he was going to a bigger club i would have wished him well but he's going to West Ham who are most definitely not a step up.....they are the best of what was on offer and Fonte has cut his nose off to spite his face.

I hope we do sign another quality defender....but i'm happy we have Yoshi

You name 3 players with great promise which looks increasingly like it will never be fulfilled. Great shame

Les Reed, January 5th:

“We would not consider releasing him unless there was a decent transfer fee and secondly that we were in a position to replace him.

So there you have it - a condition on him leaving is that the club believe they can replace him.

You can interpret that in two ways of course:

1. You can technically argue that if the club felt Stephens could step up or that Gardos was fully fit they are entitled to consider that Fonte is replaced. Of course, that would be a complete horsesh*t move by the club.

2. We will buy / loan a replacement.

My expectation is firmly in 2 as anyone who thinks Fonte (even in an average season) can be replaced within would be accepting an inferior player replacing an important one.

Over to Les Reed and Ross Wilson...

I do wonder how many on here actually go to or watch Saints games that are available online. Yoshi has taken his chance this season and deservedly is playing alongside VVD.

Yoshi has the perfect temperament, he has been a model professional and his performances have been good this season. I except he has has made the odd error.....so what so has VVD and he is our outstanding player this season.

I'm sorry Fonte is going and the way he appears to be leaving.....if he was going to a bigger club i would have wished him well but he's going to West Ham who are most definitely not a step up.....they are the best of what was on offer and Fonte has cut his nose off to spite his face.

I hope we do sign another quality defender....but i'm happy we have Yoshi

I do not understand how Fonte believes he will be better off at West Ham. Maybe a couple of grand a week for 2 years but not much more. He will be playing in a back three whereas he has been used to playing alongside an excellent partner here every season. I think it will end in tears.

Jose has not been as good this season as other seasons. That's not me downgrading him , he's downgraded himself. Yoshida has stepped up to the plate this season and played a lot better than previous seasons. This season they're on a par. That is my opinion , and I would still have it if West Ham were buying Yoshida & Jose was staying .

Yup. Yoshida was always prone to making an error or two but he seems to have cut that out of his game. Perhaps playing alongside someone like VVD takes the pressure off him slightly as well.

I do however hope that we sign another centre back, because we're a bit light. Unless, of course, the club feel that Stephens can step up to the plate as and when he is required.

Les Reed, January 5th:

So there you have it - a condition on him leaving is that the club believe they can replace him.

You can interpret that in two ways of course:

1. You can technically argue that if the club felt Stephens could step up or that Gardos was fully fit they are entitled to consider that Fonte is replaced. Of course, that would be a complete horsesh*t move by the club.

2. We will buy / loan a replacement.

My expectation is firmly in 2 as anyone who thinks Fonte (even in an average season) can be replaced within would be accepting an inferior player replacing an important one.

Over to Les Reed and Ross Wilson...

Depends if you believe what comes out of Les Reed's mouth.

Yup. Yoshida was always prone to making an error or two but he seems to have cut that out of his game. Perhaps playing alongside someone like VVD takes the pressure off him slightly as well.

I do however hope that we sign another centre back, because we're a bit light. Unless, of course, the club feel that Stephens can step up to the plate as and when he is required.

I've said this before, but its worth remembering that Maya is now only 28 and coming in to his prime as a central defender. Fonte was not playing Premier League football at 28 (or maybe just), but was just as prone then to the odd error at Maya.

Yoshida has something Fonte has never had, and that is pace. If he develops as good an understanding then he is a very adequate replacement.

I still think we will bring someone in.

I've been told by someone who would know that he came back from the Europe with a big attitude and demands. Trouble is his ankles apparently need constant care by the club medics to keep him going and when you look at his performances of the last 18 months (ish), you can see he gets in trouble turning on a tight radius - hence his tendency to shirt-pull. I was also told that we were looking at signing a top name CB, but the inference was to replace VVD not Fonte. I think Les and Puel are thinking good riddance, however now we're into a whole different era of player with the last of the old guard gone. Expect to see more mercenary style performances from players who have little connection to the club or it's history - even it's recent glorious history. Times'a'changing.