The Sunday Times - Southampton put up for sale at £250m

The Odd Guy

For who? Every player in our squad would be wanted by someone. Lots of players you left out would fetch big fees. Even someone like Adams who hasn't done particularly well was attracting reported £20m bids in January.

So why couldn’t we find permanent buyers for Hoedt, Elyanoussi, Forster, Carrillo and Lemina last summer then?

For who? Every player in our squad would be wanted by someone. Lots of players you left out would fetch big fees. Even someone like Adams who hasn't done particularly well was attracting reported £20m bids in January.
Watch us sell the players I mentioned in my previous post in the summer now. No one is going to buy Stephens, long vestergaard with the wages they are on and what we would wasn't for them.

Great so trying to lower the wage bill through sales. Only people really worth buying is hojbjerg, ings, Bertrand and maybe redmond.
I read that as we have employed agents to get shot of the players mentioned: Carillo, Hoedt, Elyounoussi etc.

Not that we are going to sell a load of the players that we want.

I doubt RH would be signing a new contract if that were the case.

The limits of Goa’s commitment are absolutely clear. As soon as we stop being profitable, he gets itchy feet. So much for our brilliant self-sustaining business model that depends disproportionately on acumen in the transfer market and academy but instead has been overseen by fools (I see Uncle Les comes out of the article smelling of roses).

There’s absolutely no chance anyone will buy the club for £250m in this climate. Goa has to be willing to sell at a significant discount if he wants to exit his investment. Through a combination of stubbornness and naivety, my fear is that it’s going to take an inefficiently long time for that penny to drop. In the meantime, I suspect there will be greater pressure to sell valuable players like JWP and Redmond, even if they’re not clamouring for a transfer as Goa grows more impatient.

Edited by shurlock

Few points from me.

Gao will not get 250 mill for his stake. Not even close, so I can only assume that this includes Kat's 20% as well. If not then we aren't getting sold. Also, the Chinese economy is taking an absolute battering atm because of this virus, so i'm not shocked to see the bank calling in some assets, although I know Gao wanted to sell before all this kicked off. Problem is, the world economy is about to tank as well, so it would be a stupid idea to spend big on a company right now with such economic uncertainty.

Kat sold us up a river selling us to him, myself and many others said it wouldn't be good and we aren't businessmen/women. She was extremely naive to buy his sob story about wanting to grow us. He wanted to move money out of China and it hasn't worked out for him.

Lastly, be careful what you wish for. Red Bull would change our name and our badge plus a lot more. I'm ok with most of it but the badge is a huge no no from me. I'd take red bull over the current owners if they are the only option.

Red Bull would change our name and our badge plus a lot more. I'm ok with most of it but the badge is a huge no no from me.

I'm onboard with everything you say but this bit, that's the least of my concerns with any such takeover. Never really liked the current one, if it was something that included the old 3-roses badge that's displayed throughout the city, I'd be happier.

But that's me and certainly the least of our concerns right now.

Few points from me.

Gao will not get 250 mill for his stake. Not even close, so I can only assume that this includes Kat's 20% as well. If not then we aren't getting sold. Also, the Chinese economy is taking an absolute battering atm because of this virus, so i'm not shocked to see the bank calling in some assets, although I know Gao wanted to sell before all this kicked off. Problem is, the world economy is about to tank as well, so it would be a stupid idea to spend big on a company right now with such economic uncertainty.

Kat sold us up a river selling us to him, myself and many others said it wouldn't be good and we aren't businessmen/women. She was extremely naive to buy his sob story about wanting to grow us. He wanted to move money out of China and it hasn't worked out for him.

Lastly, be careful what you wish for. Red Bull would change our name and our badge plus a lot more. I'm ok with most of it but the badge is a huge no no from me. I'd take red bull over the current owners if they are the only option.

I doubt it, the FA would be unlikely to allow it...

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/mar/16/fa-statement-hull-city-proposed-name-change

Is it just me who'd really enjoy this?

Bring on other fans hating us. We'd be a bigger club for it.

Football is already all dodgy ownership, sponsorship, gambling anyway. I'd welcome fans criticising ownership by a drinks brand and media company while defending their oil barrons and arms dealers.

I imagine plenty would, myself included. There doesn't seem to be much in it other than wishful thinking though. Reminds me of years ago when rumours of Richard Branson would crop up with about the same amount of substance behind them.

Red Bull could probably have purchased us at any point during our recent history and I'd be surprised if they weren't approached by Kat prior to selling to Gao. Can't think why they would have changed their minds.

Hopefully it will appeal to a certain billionaire who lives locally.

I doubt it though.

A Man U fan who lives in the New Forest who's already involved with a couple of other clubs. Dead rubber.

Thought he was now resident in Monaco or somewhere, so unless he fancies this as a bit of a retirement project in a few years (presumably after his luxury pad on stilts is built having now obtained planning agreememt) I can't see this happening.

We might be a cheaper option thanChelsea at £2bn, but sadly the skates at a fraction of the cost Gao is looking for might represent a better return.

This looks fairly clear in ruling it out, but things can change.

Hopefully it will appeal to a certain billionaire who lives locally.

I doubt it though.

A Man U fan who lives in the New Forest who's already involved with a couple of other clubs. Dead rubber.

Is it just me who'd really enjoy this?

Bring on other fans hating us. We'd be a bigger club for it.

Football is already all dodgy ownership, sponsorship, gambling anyway. I'd welcome fans criticising ownership by a drinks brand and media company while defending their oil barrons and arms dealers.

Sponsorship aside I expect the FA would put more restrictions on RB re naming etc.

Personally I think they'd be a massive upgrade on Gao, but certainly don't fancy the name change and what appears their standard white shirts/red shorts kit, although I think RB SAlzburg are r/w stripes this season.

As for the concept of cororate ownership, having seen the stagnation under a penniless individual, I'm more relaxed about this now. Don't see any Wolves fans protesting about Fosun.

RB Southampton

Natasha Patel was head of Saints Performance Analysis . She is considered a genius in her field. We let her go to New York Red Bulls. We let her go with our goodwill. She is still in touch with Saints.

I was told a few months ago she was going to be in charge of all Red Bull teams at the end of the season which if my contact is correct will include us.

Red Bull could probably have purchased us at any point during our recent history and I'd be surprised if they weren't approached by Kat prior to selling to Gao. Can't think why they would have changed their minds.

It does give them a club with good infrastructure in the the largest football product on the planet. Beyond Formula 1 the Premier League does offer them a huge billboard to the world..............and just for a bit more silliness they would have an Austrian manager in place who understands the Red Bull football management from Leipzig....................Even more bonkers maybe they have placed him as their spy on the inside!! :smug:

The Southampton FC soap opera continues to amble on.......

Supporting Saints (and most other clubs) is a succession of highs and lows 0 the highs inc (1896-1904)(1920-27)(1946-53)(1959-66)(1976-85) and the most recent 2010-2017. I have a feeling we are entering a bit of a trough period. Like someone said, no one buys a PL team like us for 300m, much better off picking up a middling Championship club for a sixth of the price. Better go an batten the hatches

given the current climate across the world and things getting worse by the day who in their right mind would purchase a football club right now. At present who knows if there will be a premiership next season. I'm not one for panicking and i'm not one of those rushing out and stock piling but i'm also unable to recall anything during my lifetime that has already affected Europe (Italy in particular) the way the current virus has. Most Football clubs need the revenue from match days to survive, especially those outside the Premiership. What happens if all sporting events have to be played behind closed doors? How long could clubs survive?.........I think we are stuck with our Chinese owner at least until this current scare has passed, however long that may be!

given the current climate across the world and things getting worse by the day who in their right mind would purchase a football club right now. At present who knows if there will be a premiership next season. I'm not one for panicking and i'm not one of those rushing out and stock piling but i'm also unable to recall anything during my lifetime that has already affected Europe (Italy in particular) the way the current virus has. Most Football clubs need the revenue from match days to survive, especially those outside the Premiership. What happens if all sporting events have to be played behind closed doors? How long could clubs survive?.........I think we are stuck with our Chinese owner at least until this current scare has passed, however long that may be!

I do for starters, even if it’s behind closed doors.

We’re doomed!

My point being, if that were to be the case, how do clubs survive?.......and more to the point, who would be mad enough to then buy a football club?

I think the major leagues would be fine, it's the smaller ones that rely on matchday revenue streams that will suffer if there is a ban on spectators.

Natasha Patel was head of Saints Performance Analysis . She is considered a genius in her field. We let her go to New York Red Bulls. We let her go with our goodwill. She is still in touch with Saints.

I was told a few months ago she was going to be in charge of all Red Bull teams at the end of the season which if my contact is correct will include us.

Just wondering why "more than one broker has been invited to source a buyer for Southampton" if a deal had been agreed with, or was looking likely with, Red Bull?

If you had the money would you pay 300m for Saints or 300m for Newcastle?

Ashley has been trying to flog Newcastle at that price for years and they are a much more attractive option (at that price) than us.

I think Ashley has been leading potential buyers on a merry dance for years and maybe trying to to get £400m, which is why he's still at the helm. The shape of our squad and finances doesn't make us the most attractive club to buy at the moment, but there is always a buyer somewhere if the price is right.

But your contact is seldom correct, is he/she?

I don't think any of our squad except Ings and JWP would fetch 20m or more.

Redmond --> more than 20m

Hojbjerg --> more than 20m

Vestergaard was the subject of around 20m in January.

Bednarek would also command more than 20m

Che Adams was also around that when Leeds made a bid in January

Djenepo too would be 20m plus.

You re a bit of a pessimist aren t you?

Financially were are not that attractive at the moment, as we still have another season of paying, Lemina, Carrillo and Hoedt, as well as Hughes and his posse ( Thanks Les Reed) .

Forster and Elyonousi have done enough to attract buyers hopefully, so that will reduce the wage bill a bit, but our wage percentage is still too high.

I'm onboard with everything you say but this bit, that's the least of my concerns with any such takeover. Never really liked the current one, if it was something that included the old 3-roses badge that's displayed throughout the city, I'd be happier.

But that's me and certainly the least of our concerns right now.

It would have the red bull logo in it.

Imagine taking the **** out of teams like Cardiff for changing their colours and badge and being happy for red bull to **** over our heritage changing our badge just because you don't like it. :lol:

The colours wouldn't change and a majority of clubs have modernised theirs badges in the last decade or so.

Team name would be more of the concern. Won't happen anyway. We will get another chancer in.

Someone who has some connection with the city/county/country would be nice but seems unrealistic these days. Failing that an set-up that has some experience owning and developing big sporting organisations.

Jim Ratcliffe Ineos has a box at Chelsea. Tried to buy it a while back as he's a fan. In a newspaper article some time ago.

We who heard about were mocked, and those senior board members denied this too! LIARS. Now we see why little to no money has been spent on players! And why Hojberg will not sign a new contract! Gao never had 2 pennies to rub together. So getting out while he still can!! FAT KAT sold us a pup. We all knew, something was not right. But hoped it was not true!!

We who heard about this were mocked, and those senior board members denied this too! LIARS. Now we see why little to no money has been spent on players! And why Hojberg will not sign a new contract! Gao never had 2 pennies to rub together. So getting out while he still can!! FAT KAT sold us a pup. We all knew, something was not right. But hoped it was not true!! How wrong we were!!

Mohammed Bin Salman

Isn't this the bloke linked with Newcastle ? A bigger and better proposition I'd have thought.

According to Wikipedia his full name is :

Mohammad bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bin Abdul Rahman bin Faisal bin Turki bin Abdullah bin Mohammed bin Saud

Not easy to fit in to a song, but as an old terrace chant " Give us an "M"... " might be a challenge

Edited by Badger

If Red Bull buy us fine. If we become RB Southampton they can shove it up their Austrian arse. I would rather watch Saints in the National league South playing Waterlooville than support a corporate franchise club.

If Red Bull buy us fine. If we become RB Southampton they can shove it up their Austrian arse. I would rather watch Saints in the National league South playing Waterlooville than support a corporate franchise club.

Personally I think the majority viewing a successful club wouldn't care.

As opposed to the Chinese investment banker club, the arms dealing Sheikh club, or the American sports conglomerate club?

Exciting times. Hopefully we get a new owner before the noose tied by Reed and KL drags us to the depths.

Dark dark day in the club's history when those two ousted NC. Lets hope a throw on owner roulette saves our club and take us back to the top of our momentum curve challenging for Europe!

Sadly, it looks like we're skint, with terrible finances (thanks to Kat and Reed), and have an owner with no dosh... if we aren't taken over we're on an accelerated course for 2009 all over again... and without the great academy and shiny new stadium that Lowe left us.