Checkatrade Trophy 2019

edprice1984

It's a nice little ground, the food (despite being Vegan) is excellent and the club and fans are incredibly friendly - unless they are playing Cheltenham Town. It is an absolute a*se to get to though! Top of a hill in the middle of a small village. Away fans stand on an open terrace along the side of the pitch opposite the main stand.

It's a nice little ground, the food (despite being Vegan) is excellent and the club and fans are incredibly friendly - unless they are playing Cheltenham Town. It is an absolute a*se to get to though! Top of a hill in the middle of a small village. Away fans stand on an open terrace along the side of the pitch opposite the main stand.

Must be the smallest town/ village ever to have played in the football league.....

Indeed it is - population 5794 - but great draw for me in South Brum. Two reachable by local train and you can park next door to the ground at FGR

How long you been in Kings Heath Village Saint? I’m only down the road in Redditch nice to know there’s fellow saints in the local area.

Was there for the play-off game against Tranmere. Was a nightmare to get to and park that evening but I think I'm right in saying that was their highest ever attendance for a league game. Should be a lot easier for our visit and while the away terrace is the whole of one side, I suspect it will be like Cambridge and only open the main stand (which is the newest, all-seater and pretty decent). You certainly don't want to park in the centre and walk, it's about a mile and all uphill and pretty steep in places.

• 1 month later...
Was there for the play-off game against Tranmere. Was a nightmare to get to and park that evening but I think I'm right in saying that was their highest ever attendance for a league game. Should be a lot easier for our visit and while the away terrace is the whole of one side, I suspect it will be like Cambridge and only open the main stand (which is the newest, all-seater and pretty decent). You certainly don't want to park in the centre and walk, it's about a mile and all uphill and pretty steep in places.

Wish I had seen this earlier. At least it's all downhill after the match!

I really like the look of Dan N'Lundulu. Very strong, great shot, quick feet for a big player. He had to make his own chances though as others around him were not doing so. Some of the other Saints players looked ok in patches but, to echo a comment above I thought Klarer and O'Driscoll were not great. I have nothing really to base this comment on but Klarer looks like he thinks he is much better than he is ! However, they are all very young and I wouldn't write any of them off. FGR is also by far the friendliest ground I have ever visited in 44 years of watching Saints !

I really like the look of Dan N'Lundulu. Very strong, great shot, quick feet for a big player. He had to make his own chances though as others around him were not doing so. Some of the other Saints players looked ok in patches but, to echo a comment above I thought Klarer and O'Driscoll were not great. I have nothing really to base this comment on but Klarer looks like he thinks he is much better than he is ! However, they are all very young and I wouldn't write any of them off. FGR is also by far the friendliest ground I have ever visited in 44 years of watching Saints !

Yep, N'Lundulu looks a prospect. I'm with you on Klarer. I've seen him several times and don't see what other people claim to see. His positioning, touch and distribution aren't great. I've watched out u21/23/reserves for years and this is not a good crop sadly.

5 out of the 6 under 21 teams lost last night, we were not alone in defeat.

I have no interest in other clubs - our u23 team looks poor this season. To be fair to the lads who played last night though, they were all young (16 year olds playing) and a late defeat away to a league club is respectable.

I have no interest in other clubs - our u23 team looks poor this season. To be fair to the lads who played last night though, they were all young (16 year olds playing) and a late defeat away to a league club is respectable.

That's why they are Under 21 teams, not under 23 teams, I may be wrong, but that's how they are portrayed on the fixtures.

Yep, N'Lundulu looks a prospect. I'm with you on Klarer. I've seen him several times and don't see what other people claim to see. His positioning, touch and distribution aren't great. I've watched out u21/23/reserves for years and this is not a good crop sadly.

I'm in the same boat on Klarer too.

I actually thought for a moment N'Lundulu might get a spin out one Saturday as at some point in the second half not long before we went down to 10 I just so happened to be looking over to the bench (maybe the ball was thereabouts) and he was sent out alone to warm up and there was an eager spring in his step as he set off. Wouldn't be surprised to see him given a go this side of Christmas.

N'Lundulu impressed me last night, never seen him play before. His hold up play was strong and the way he made and took his goal was very impressive. Also gets involved and is not bullied, think he has a lot of potential. Reminds me of Tammy Abraham.

FGR is my local club, quite often go there, really nice club.

Will be some serious questions about Jaidi's ability, we can do better than this with these kids.

We really can't, they're not a good crop of players. Jaidi did well with last years group but he won't get much out of this group.

We really can't, they're not a good crop of players. Jaidi did well with last years group but he won't get much out of this group.

I don’t think it’s about bringing through a great group, more about bringing through a couple of superstars than can challenge for a first team place.

I don’t think it’s about bringing through a great group, more about bringing through a couple of superstars than can challenge for a first team place.

That's always the plan but the teams have to be competitive for the players to improve in game situations. Getting spanked 8-2 at Everton, and losing most games, is not competing and doesn't help the lads kick on.

• 2 months later...