Owen The Saints Blog

OwenTheSaints

Evening guys,

This is my first time posting after years of browsing. I just thought I'd share my Saints blog with you that I started in August 2017. I made it as my Creative Writing lecturers at uni suggested making a blog to help with writing craft, and there is always something to write about with Saints...

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/

After making this blog, (and affiliate Twitter - @Owen_TheSaints) I was very fortunate to be approached by 90Min Football, and have subsequently been vlogging matches for their YouTube channel. The most recent of which is here (if you really want to relive the Palace game [emoji6])

Feel free to have a read/watch and if you enjoy my work then I'm happy to share new uploads on here. My SaintsWeb account was activated last night so I also look forward to contributing with discussions.

All the best, and let's hope for a better second half to the season.

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening guys,

This is my first time posting after years of browsing. I just thought I'd share my Saints blog with you that I started in August 2017. I made it as my Creative Writing lecturers at uni suggested making a blog to help with writing craft, and there is always something to write about with Saints...

After making this blog, (and affiliate Twitter - @Owen_TheSaints) I was very fortunate to be approached by 90Min Football, and have subsequently been vlogging matches for their YouTube channel. The most recent of which is here (if you really want to relive the Palace game [emoji6])

Feel free to have a read/watch and if you enjoy my work then I'm happy to share new uploads on here. My SaintsWeb account was activated last night so I also look forward to contributing with discussions.

Owen

I always thought creative writing was, well, ... creative, a bit like stories and things. At least this explains where the press now get their stories from.

Have you applied to SFC to get into their media/PR set-up?

I always thought creative writing was, well, ... creative, a bit like stories and things. At least this explains where the press now get their stories from.

Have you applied to SFC to get into their media/PR set-up?

My main interest is script writing, but a blog was suggested to simply get us writing regularly. Any type of writing is practice I guess. It also encourages writing to deadlines which will help in the future etc.

I haven't as I'm not even sure I could be creative enough to put a positive spin on this season. [emoji6]

Welcome to the forum.

Can you come up with a creative story about how we escape relegation?

Thank you!

Once upon a time, a Director of Football named Les Reed had to swallow his pride. And that is how Saints avoided relegation.

Simple story, and yet quite implausible.

Evening guys,

Owen

The blog was a good read and expressed the frustrations that most of us feel. Well done.

I enjoyed the read and the YouTube commentary. I think you capture the fans concensus of opinion excellently.

Les Reed have a read.

Of course with all the analysis at Southampton they will know exactly the problems. The biggest concern is why they continue to the same mistakes, without ever having a plan A, B, C.....

Dave Merrington for Manager.

Thank you for all your support, I really appreciate it and am glad you're enjoying my work.

Thought I might as well share something I made in November. I was proud of it but it received mixed reviews due to people taking it seriously; it's clearly tongue in cheek.

As Saints continue to persist with the 'Our Way' song, I decided to update the lyrics...

https://twitter.com/owen_thesaints/status/933048285555757057

Enjoy! [emoji4]

Did people really think it was real? :lol:

Got a tweet back from a woman who subsequently blocked me that was along the lines of 'I would never think as a fan to disrespect the club like this.' While I can understand, the whole point of it was just to bring a bit of light to the depressing situation we were (and still are) in.

Does Pellegrino instruct us to sit back in the second half, or are the fitness levels of the players not high enough to sustain the press?

New post on the blog:

Watford 2-2 Saints: Difficult Second Half Syndrome

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/15/watford-2-2-saints-difficult-second-half-syndrome/

It feels like fans and players vs coaching staff and the board. Unfortunately, one side holds all the power.

Saints 1-1 Brighton: The Draw That Breaks The Camel's Back?

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/01/saints-1-1-brighton-the-draw-that-breaks-the-camels-back/

90Min FanVoice of the game:

How have we gone from celebrating Gabbiadini's equaliser at Wembley, to celebrating Gabbiadini's equaliser in the 90th minute at Burnley to lift us out of the relegation zone...?

Burnley 1-1 Saints: Moor of the Same

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/26/burnley-1-1-saints-moor-of-the-same/

Pellegrino: This Is Your Strife. The club had no choice after Saturday's defeat, though nor did they after Leicester, Spurs, Palace... A look back on Pellegrino's tenure, and where we go from here.

Pell-vis Has Left The Building:

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/pell-vis-has-left-the-building/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The result and performance didn't stop me having a great day out at Wembley with my dad. That's what it's all about. The fans are the club and always will be; football matches are just there to bring them together.

90Min FanVoice of today's game here:

Right read the first paragraph and if I’m to be a critic it seems a bit Puel loving, my opinion is he should never been appointed and he should have been sacked however Pellegrino is definitely as bad a replacement we could have asked for.

From the off we needed a positive attacking manager. Hughes is not it either. Get Adkins back

Right read the first paragraph and if I’m to be a critic it seems a bit Puel loving, my opinion is he should never been appointed and he should have been sacked however Pellegrino is definitely as bad a replacement we could have asked for.

From the off we needed a positive attacking manager. Hughes is not it either. Get Adkins back

I probably agree that Puel should never have been appointed, he definitely wasn't the successor we needed after Koeman. Tbh I'll make up my mind after he's had a summer transfer window at Leicester to see how they play when he has the squad he wants. In all honesty it's got to a point where I'm not sure any manger could get our squad really performing consistently...

I probably agree that Puel should never have been appointed, he definitely wasn't the successor we needed after Koeman. Tbh I'll make up my mind after he's had a summer transfer window at Leicester to see how they play when he has the squad he wants. In all honesty it's got to a point where I'm not sure any manger could get our squad really performing consistently...

Our present squad is unbalanced but unfortunately it’s not going to get a drastic overhaul very quickly. Too many long term contracts (Thanks, Les) and selling and buying in a short summer window will not change more than a few. Don’t forget that not much happens until after the World Cup finishes.

Our present squad is unbalanced but unfortunately it’s not going to get a drastic overhaul very quickly. Too many long term contracts (Thanks, Les) and selling and buying in a short summer window will not change more than a few. Don’t forget that not much happens until after the World Cup finishes.

Agreed, the squad is lacking quality in key areas, and the quality we do have seem to have their heads elsewhere already. Ultimately we have talented players but no core team, they don't gel at all and I'm sure most are looking for exit (and maybe see relegation as the way to most likely achieve this). I can see it getting messy in the short time frame over summer as demand for players, relegation clauses and trying to keep wages manageable in a lower division all come to the fore.

Agreed, the squad is lacking quality in key areas, and the quality we do have seem to have their heads elsewhere already. Ultimately we have talented players but no core team, they don't gel at all and I'm sure most are looking for exit (and maybe see relegation as the way to most likely achieve this). I can see it getting messy in the short time frame over summer as demand for players, relegation clauses and trying to keep wages manageable in a lower division all come to the fore.

Hmm, that’s a thought. Some players might see relegation as their main chance of escape.

It dawned on me years ago in one o& our previous relegation fights that the best players, such as Alan Shearer, were never going to get relegated because they would be straight off to another club.

Yesterday was an amazing experience, and I'm determined to not let the performance or result ruin that.

Chelsea 2-0 Saints: Chelsea Sour Show Part II?

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/23/chelsea-2-0-saints-chelsea-sour-show-part-ii/

Have also started an affiliate YouTube channel with me editing my own vlogs.

https://youtu.be/HN9IdYChYcU

Cheers mate, I very much appreciate the support, especially given the lambasting in the match thread for it...

Wouldn’t worry mate, an anonymous football forum full of ‘real men’ who suggest the only way to enjoy football is to ‘get ****ed and watch the game’ is probably not an easy audience to engage. The vlog wasn’t my kind of thing but I think a lot showed that they don’t understand Youtube and its current opportunities, so fair play to you for trying to seize upon them in a fresh and creative way. Good luck!

Wouldn’t worry mate, an anonymous football forum full of ‘real men’ who suggest the only way to enjoy football is to ‘get ****ed and watch the game’ is probably not an easy audience to engage. The vlog wasn’t my kind of thing but I think a lot showed that they don’t understand Youtube and its current opportunities, so fair play to you for trying to seize upon them in a fresh and creative way. Good luck!

Agree with you, and add that I get more annoyed by those 'real men' who stay in the pub til kick off and stagger to the ground, getting to the ground 10 mins late, blocking our view while trying to find their seats through the alco haze, then get up again on 41 mins to go to the bar, come back on 52 mins, blocking our view again. And don't get me started on the swearers and abusers ....

I'm not into vlogging and selfie takers, but each to his own. They're not the worst type of fan, despite the abuse you were given on the match thread.

Saints win, riot police across the city, I get destroyed on SaintsWeb, and feature on Match of the Day. This one will be lively.

Saints 2-1 Bournemouth: Saints Reborn-mouth?

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/30/saints-2-1-bournemouth-saints-reborn-mouth/

Also, as my vlogs are so well loved on here, here's my 90Min FanVoice of the game.

Many thanks to the above posters for the support as well, wish I had more posts available to respond personally. And thanks to anyone that has stuck up for me or even offered an opposing view point fairly, have appreciated it.

Cheers mate, I very much appreciate the support, especially given the lambasting in the match thread for it...

Just watched it! Very good. I wouldn’t pay attention to all the Uber fans. There’s always someone wanting to tell you how to support your team.

Just watched it! Very good. I wouldn’t pay attention to all the Uber fans. There’s always someone wanting to tell you how to support your team.

Thank you, that means a lot, appreciate that. Yeah exactly, I respect everyone's opinions and can see where they're coming from, but there's no right or wrong way to support the team, in fact it's the diversity of ways different fans do that makes it a whole encompassing culture.

Saints win, riot police across the city, I get destroyed on SaintsWeb, and feature on Match of the Day. This one will be lively.

Saints 2-1 Bournemouth: Saints Reborn-mouth?

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/30/saints-2-1-bournemouth-saints-reborn-mouth/

Also, as my vlogs are so well loved on here, here's my 90Min FanVoice of the game.

Many thanks to the above posters for the support as well, wish I had more posts available to respond personally. And thanks to anyone that has stuck up for me or even offered an opposing view point fairly, have appreciated it.

You're also on the OS official highlights too, presumably the same footage from MOTD.

I'm glad you know that many of us appreciate the stuff you put up. :)

Are you going to be doing anything in terms of blogging and vlogging for the World Cup?