Wolves 1-1 Saints - Reaction

PaulSaint

I presume your belief we're going down is based on having lost the previous 3 matches. If this had been the first match of the season I bet most here would've been pretty happy with today's performance and looking forward to a decent season.

Welcome to the new season my friend. Clearly you have only just arrived to the 19/20 season. Let me fill you in, nothing has changed, we still can't defend. Also we are not clinical up front. We should have been 3-0 up today before they scored. Its going to be a long season. But i for one is looking forward to the Championship next season

The fact that you can equate a result against Bompey with those against Liverpool, Man Utd, and Chelsea, shows how far we have fallen.
Yeah before the season starts I'd have looked at three of those teams and figured 2 points if we were lucky. I would have expected 3 against Bournemouth at home.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Welcome to the new season my friend. Clearly you have only just arrived to the 19/20 season. Let me fill you in, nothing has changed, we still can't defend. Also we are not clinical up front. We should have been 3-0 up today before they scored. Its going to be a long season. But i for one is looking forward to the Championship next season

Which means apart from finishing we were playing well! Chin up, we're not great but not that bad. If we start losing at home to the likes of Norwich and Sheff Utd you can sharpen the razor blades!

To be totally boring, draw was a fair result. Both teams had chances. Our defence was better, but still had dodgy moments, playing three CBs means we lack one attacking player, but we looked better.

Yes, I was at the game.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Can still only score when there's a defensive **** up, Ings has been very lucky with goalkeeping/centre back mistakes, doesn't actually create much for himself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Churlish. A goal is a goal, and he can keep on doing this IMO

Can still only score when there's a defensive **** up, Ings has been very lucky with goalkeeping/centre back mistakes, doesn't actually create much for himself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Let's be fair you make your own luck you have to be in the right place at the right time to score from the oppstion **** ups.

Personally, thought it was a good away performance against a decent side today. We gave as good as we got and could have won it with a little more composure. Thought Ings and Redmond caused them problems at the back and Rom in midfield was strong all over the park. Can't say that for all the players though, we lost a lot of 50 : 50's today because of some pretty lame tackling at times. Hoj generally kept it simple today, win it and give it, which is what his job is, so thought he did ok. As for the penalty, I was probably the closest Saints fan to it (JL9 end of the row) and I couldn't see what happened. What I did think was that there was no need to make any kind of challenge because we had the guy well marshalled - but hey ho. After they scored thought we showed a good reaction and were still well in the game, even into injury time we were getting corners. Yoshi and Bed's looked good at the back and although Vest is slow, he made some great clearances with his head as balls came into the box. Ralphs subs, ummm strange one for me was Rom for Danso, didn't make any sense as Danso looked like a fish out of water, luckily he was only there for 10 minutes, but he was so unaware of what was behind him, it was frightening. At the end of the day a decent point methinks.

On another note, have to say that Wolves have got it spot on with how they have parked the away fans at the bottom of the SB Stand, really difficult to generate any real atmosphere. If we are serious about relocating them at SMS we could learn a lot of lessons from Molinuex. Decent away day really, have to give a big shout out to the parking attendant right outside the ground who let me park in their secure car park free of charge, I was lost and was just turning around in the car park, but police closed the road before I could get back out... bonus!

I was there today and really don't get the hatred for JWP. He looked awful at RB, but I thought actually played best as CM for the last few minutes. He didn't have his best game today, but doesn't deserve the flak he gets.

Boufal has a lot of skills, but was a liability when he was on. He drifted away from the right side and left us really vulnerable to attacks, especially when JWP was there, but he also lost the ball far too easily quite a few times considering how little he was on the pitch. If he's started instead of JWP, we could well have lost.

The one I really don't understand is why Gunn is still starting. What has McCarthy done to not get in ahead of him? Heart in the mouth whenever the ball goes near Angus at the moment.

VAR should have ruled out the pen, but was right about the other two. The ref was truly awful and we could easily have won today. We need to score more than one goal to do that, though. We need someone else to take chances.

I was there today and really don't get the hatred for JWP. He looked awful at RB, but I thought actually played best as CM for the last few minutes. He didn't have his best game today, but doesn't deserve the flak he gets.

Boufal has a lot of skills, but was a liability when he was on. He drifted away from the right side and left us really vulnerable to attacks, especially when JWP was there, but he also lost the ball far too easily quite a few times considering how little he was on the pitch. If he's started instead of JWP, we could well have lost.

The one I really don't understand is why Gunn is still starting. What has McCarthy done to not get in ahead of him? Heart in the mouth whenever the ball goes near Angus at the moment.

VAR should have ruled out the pen, but was right about the other two. The ref was truly awful and we could easily have won today. We need to score more than one goal to do that, though. We need someone else to take chances.

My issue is less with jwp but with this current situation where he must always be fitted into the xi somehow and must be moved around rather than subbed if we need to change it. Moving him to right back when the right back Valery had negated their threat completely was bizarre.

I don't think VAR has overturned a single qualitative decision in the entire league this season - only offsides (black and white) and attacking handballs (black and white (in theory - Spurs proving that wrong today)).

It's a shame, I was a big fan of the idea of VAR and thought it worked well in the world cup. When they didn't change refereeing decisions in the first couple of weeks it was clear it was only going to be an offside corrector.

Don't forget it also - quite crucially - has been used to rule out goals when the ball has accidentally brushed off the hand of an attacking player in the build up. As long as those goals plus offside goals which need a microscope to establish an offside offence has been committed are ruled out then that's good enough for me. Who cares if penalties resulting from blatant dives not spotted by the ref are not cancelled out as long as there is the slightest conceivable contact between defender and attacker even if said contact was clearly manufactured by the attacker?

Churlish. A goal is a goal, and he can keep on doing this IMO

It's not sustainable, that's my point. You can't rely on him as a goalscorer as he's only scoring when there's a major f*ck up in the opposition back line. It's not like when we had Pelle, Rickie, Mane and could rely on them to create something for themselves.

The fact that you can equate a result against Bompey with those against Liverpool, Man Utd, and Chelsea, shows how far we have fallen.

Not really, we've been capable of clangers at home to average teams since time immemorial. We lost at home to Cardiff under Poch, Swansea under Koeman and Bristol City when we got promoted under Adkins.

All four of those teams are better than Sheff U, Brighton, Burnley and probably Wolves.

It's not sustainable, that's my point. You can't rely on him as a goalscorer as he's only scoring when there's a major f*ck up in the opposition back line. It's not like when we had Pelle, Rickie, Mane and could rely on them to create something for themselves.

The point is the ****ups are caused by pressing the opposition into mistakes where he has the presence of mind to be in the right place at the right time to benefit from the mistakes. Its not like he hasn't scored other types of goals for us is it?

Three things need to happen! Gunn needs benching he is making to many mistakes. JWP needs dropping because he has reverted to being pony again, he weakens the midfield has no pace and he was blowing out of his arse for the last 15mins, he has no bite to his tackling. His free kicks and corners have been very poor, especially his corners not even getting passed the first man.

I also think we would be better playing 541 as we get over run in midfield. We play at our best on the counter or when we are pinging quick balls from midfield to a front man. Playing out from the back to build up play sh!ts the life out of me. Today we nearly could caught out on a few occasions.

The point is the ****ups are caused by pressing the opposition into mistakes where he has the presence of mind to be in the right place at the right time to benefit from the mistakes. Its not like he hasn't scored other types of goals for us is it?

Some people like to whinge. He scores goals -oh I don't like the types of goal he is scoring. :rolleyes:

Not a bad away performance. We look more secure with a back 3.

Enjoyed Rom's performance. Always makes me worry to see him near the edge of their box though: our midfield is so slow!

Not sure what JWP really offers us. Would like to see Armstrong given a run instead. At least that would bring some pace to the middle of the park.

Bank the point, move on. We played okay, by and large. Their penalty was a terrible decision, but we rode our luck on the two disallowed goals - Gunn made a poor misjudgement for the first and Cutrone's offside was by accident not design after a real defensive mess.

Seems like we're reverting back to last season's grimly pragmatic 5-3-1-1 for the foreseeable future. A bit more solidarity, but not much going forward.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Good away day, looked so much more solid at the back with three centre backs. Yoshi and Bednarek are out and out defenders and find it easier in possession when they always have a lateral pass option to one of the other two. Positives today for me were season best performance from Bertrand and Hoj, Redmond looking like he is returning to form and Ings on a hot streak. To keep Wolves down to one shot on target shows how well marshalled we looked today. Encouraging ahead of more tough fixtures before we get to end of November when things look a bit easier.

Having said that it was a fantastic second touch to take it across the defender, taking him completely out of the game.

Some people like to whinge. He scores goals -oh I don't like the types of goal he is scoring. :rolleyes:

I think the point he was making is that we seemingly only manage to score these days when Ings pounces on a bad error at the back. If we have to actually create our own chances through good attacking team play, we are woefully inept at it.

Bank the point, move on. We played okay, by and large. Their penalty was a terrible decision, but we rode our luck on the two disallowed goals - Gunn made a poor misjudgement for the first and Cutrone's offside was by accident not design after a real defensive mess.

Seems like we're reverting back to last season's grimly pragmatic 5-3-1-1 for the foreseeable future. A bit more solidarity, but not much going forward.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Not sure how we rode our luck on the first one, without using his hand Jimenez is not controlling that ball, he basically used his hand to control it and go round Gunn, even their players recognised that was obvious.

The 2nd one is close but its pretty clear offside , their pen is bought, and I don't see the point of using VAR on pens, its just a giant waste of time if they are not going to overturn clear dives where the player literally throws his body into the defender.

A good performance against a poor team we should have won

Our problem is that the team had 8 defensive players and only 2 attackers , they try hard but have no support from midfield they are not good in the air so have limited chance of scoring against even a poor defence.

RH is a limited coach who does not seem capable of seizing the opportunities that present themselves in the game. Poor and late substitutions more often having no impact on the game in reality making us poorer rather than better. Maybe our players are not up to much but give them a chance of winning with decent tactics . Our defence will always leak goals so the priority of the team should be to score to negate our poor defence, I do not think RH is capable of putting out an attacking team thats why our home form is so poor and we play better away from home until this is sorted we will always be a team in fear of relegation. I believe we have average players that are mid table at best but please give them a fighting chance by putting out a balnced team.

I think the point he was making is that we seemingly only manage to score these days when Ings pounces on a bad error at the back. If we have to actually create our own chances through good attacking team play, we are woefully inept at it.

Aren't most goals like that though, most can be traced down to some sort of error, like City's first goal yesterday was terrible marking leaving Jesus free in the middle to head in. Yes it was poor from Coady but the team's pressing forced the error, forcing the first defender to play it long poorly under pressure and then Ings was quickly closing down Coady who made the error. We'll get goals like that because we close defenders down and don't give them an easy way out.

I thought we created some ok chances and were the ones making most of the play, which is not bad against a decent team, and I think with Djenepo back we'll create more

From the BBC

Man of the match - Danny Ings (Southampton)

Ings carved out six chances of his own in front of goal, and his strike to put Southampton ahead saw him score in three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since January 2015.

From the BBC

Man of the match - Danny Ings (Southampton)

Ings carved out six chances of his own in front of goal, and his strike to put Southampton ahead saw him score in three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since January 2015.

Not like it makes any difference but didn’t Ings initially miss Valery’s cross against Chelsea and it only went in after Zouma’s clearance deflected off Ings?

Not like it makes any difference but didn’t Ings initially miss Valery’s cross against Chelsea and it only went in after Zouma’s clearance deflected off Ings?
Sounds about right but I've tried to scrub that game from my mind and the details are already hazy [emoji6]

In the end though, however he is doing it, Ings is our main goal scorer right now.

Maybe it's just a purple patch of luck, maybe the confidence of a few lucky goals will set him off on a good run and his goals will get better or maybe he will break a toe nail and bit out for six months. Whatever right now he is getting goals and we need that.

Which means apart from finishing we were playing well! Chin up, we're not great but not that bad. If we start losing at home to the likes of Norwich and Sheff Utd you can sharpen the razor blades!

Well, under Ralph we've lost at home to Cardiff, drawn with Huddersfield, failed to beat Bournemouth twice etc.. It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we lost to "the likes of" those teams. We've only won 5 out of 16 home league games under him and we've lost 7.

well, i feared the worst when i first saw the line up before the match. but we surprisingly kept it tight, apart from gunn's designated howler which almost resulted in yet another goal, and a few loose marking from the CBs. hoj still offered very little and isn't delivering whats expected from him. JWP wasn't as bad as previous games, but i still think armstrong would've offerd more with his mobility and better runs into the box.

I know this is a view from an armchair but we played a top 8 team away from home - they had 4 chances with 1 on target (which i presume was the dodgy penalty) - ignoring the VAR decisions because they didn't count anyway - i would have thought apart from scoring more than 1 goal we had a pretty good day

Just watched the analysis of the Everton game on MOTD. They were talking about their 2 midfielders and how they were passing the ball forward rather than square/backwards. Exactly what we should be doing.

Yep I watched that, "not passing backwards or square" was the exact phrase...then literally as he finished saying that the clip in the background showed a backwards pass followed by a square pass. The trick is having the guts to play the forward pass when the opportunity is there, not ALWAYS passing forward.

The result was ok but this whole Jwp obsession Ralph seems to have is really starting to make me think ralph isnt the answer..Ward prouse is shoe horned into the side at any cost, we dont have any creativity so we need two of redmond boufal or djenepo starting as the midfield trio aint gonna create much service, yet ralph seems to love jwp playing the ball sideways and basically being to slow to the ball defensively and offensively. and to make it worse now ward prouse gets put at right back,defensive midfield or whatever other position when we make subs just to keep him on. we will be subbing gunn next and putting prouse in goal. Bizzare

Exactly, and actually the fact that so many of his goals ARE like this suggests it’s not just luck. One of our main strategies is pressing when the opposition are in a tight spot defensively. The whole team press, force them into a mistake and Ings - who is also good at his part in the press - is often the beneficiary.

Agree that you can’t rely on mistakes, but you can plan to cause them.

Good point against a team on form and that had beaten City on their turf last time out. Less stressful to watch us away from home generally. Ings took his goal well, thought he was going to shoot first time once receiving the ball but cut across the defender to make the finish easier.

More worried about our home form tbh and Leicester up next is a tough game.

yup, ward mouse, its a mind boggler that one. i know there's a case for non glamourous players, esp. midfielders to play even for big teams as they offer something to the way the teams play, and although these players won't stand out for their incredibly weighted 30 yard passes or through balls or standing ovation worthy crunching tackles, but they remain a vital albeit small cog in the machine. i tried to look at JWP from that prespective these past few games, but he just isn't that kind of player. hes purely included in the XI because of his arguably half decent set pieces and NOTHING else.

steven davis for example was one of those players for us. although he didn't do anything to stand out, he did the basics extremely well. his passing long and short, was good. intercepted opposition passes and read the play really well, covered a lot of ground and pressed really well. also occasionally popped up with a goal or two when we needed it. overall despite not being physically and technically gifted, you could see he was an intelligent player who used what abilities he had to help the team, but ward prowse, he isn't as such, very good passer of the ball, he is a timid and weak tackler, does cover a lot of ground but doesn't play with the intelligence davis did so him running around a lot isn't too useful. also despite being younger and of a similar build to davis, he's massively slower. these are just an amateur observation of a "pro" so i maybe wrong, but he is just a passenger who offers nothing, and we are wasting a spot in the team which could be used to for example give a chance to more promising and hungry players such as slattery or smallbone or someone else.

From the Guardian's 10 talking points hard to argue with really.

9) Southampton seem to have same old problems

Is this season going to be any different for Southampton? A team who have flirted with relegation for the past two seasons occupy 17th after a draw at Wolves (they are above the bottom three on goal difference). Ralph Hasenhüttl insists the result was a step forward and the performance a platform they can build on but there is little evidence that Saints will avoid another fight for survival. Defensively they appear feeble, with Angus Gunn again unconvincing in goal and the 6ft 6in Jannik Vestergaard walked all over by Raúl Jiménez. “We can be critical with a few moments in the second half but we can also be positive about a lot of good habits,” said Hasenhüttl. Danny Ings scored in a fourth consecutive appearance for the first time in his career but Southampton must raise their game if they are to beat Leicester at St Mary’s on Friday. Ben Fisher

Exactly, and actually the fact that so many of his goals ARE like this suggests it’s not just luck. One of our main strategies is pressing when the opposition are in a tight spot defensively. The whole team press, force them into a mistake and Ings - who is also good at his part in the press - is often the beneficiary.

Agree that you can’t rely on mistakes, but you can plan to cause them.

Eh, it's generous calling his Liverpool, Spurs and Wolves goals the result of pressing. None of those were a concerted team press that turned over possession - the first two were plain old charge-the-goalie and hope moments, while the Wolves goal was the result of a nothing clearance played under zero pressure and a hopeful header forward from Hoj that the defender unaccountably missed. He didn't miss his clearance because of our pressing - it was just a plain, unforced error.

If we're going to rely on the sum total of gifts and worldies from Djenepo to get us over the line this year, then were f*cked.

Eh, it's generous calling his Liverpool, Spurs and Wolves goals the result of pressing. None of those were a concerted team press that turned over possession - the first two were plain old charge-the-goalie and hope moments, while the Wolves goal was the result of a nothing clearance played under zero pressure and a hopeful header forward from Hoj that the defender unaccountably missed. He didn't miss his clearance because of our pressing - it was just a plain, unforced error.

If we're going to rely on the sum total of gifts and worldies from Djenepo to get us over the line this year, then were f*cked.

perhaps but when we played structured football that created lots of chances under Puel that was not entertaining enough. We now play structured football without the chances. We have regressed for more than 3 seasons and I hope that Ralph can change our plodders into Desert Orchid. At least toa large degree the fans are behind him and it will take only a little improvement in our game to start getting some decent results.

Watching the championship and L1 games on TV yesterday and saw the massive gulf between those leagues and the PL

perhaps but when we played structured football that created lots of chances under Puel that was not entertaining enough. We now play structured football without the chances. We have regressed for more than 3 seasons and I hope that Ralph can change our plodders into Desert Orchid. At least toa large degree the fans are behind him and it will take only a little improvement in our game to start getting some decent results.

Watching the championship and L1 games on TV yesterday and saw the massive gulf between those leagues and the PL

Created all those chances under Puel....yeah I loved the going for a 0-0 at home in a European game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk