Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Lovely pretty football, bless.

Then put that up against some beast of a Premier League center back or defensive midfielder, who'll rob the ball of him in the blink of an eye or leave him lying in a crumpled heap, and he looks like the lightweight show pony that he is.

I really, really, don't understand what some see in him.

Didn’t see anything exciting in that lot, just a whole bunch of dribbles that ended up being either tackled, blocked or just a wayward shot or pass.

Eh? You see him beating his man and moving the ball on over and over against arguably the best defense European football has had over the past five years or so.

Sure, a couple of moves end up in wayward shots, but what were you expecting? No one is claiming he's up there with the likes of Hazard, but in terms of his ability to create space all by himself we have absolutely no one who can do what he does.

Boufal has had his chance and isnt suited to the PL. He has no pace and little end product.

Happy to move him on and get someone RH actaslly wants who fits the style.

even though last year him and Redmond who u love were on about the same level? why does boufal not deserve the same chance?

If RH wants him back, then I'd be more than happy to see Boufal back in a Saints shirt.

Desperately frustrating player, but one who could be very special if we can get him firing on all cylinders. However I accept that might not be with us and he may well move on in the summer.

If RH wants him back, then I'd be more than happy to see Boufal back in a Saints shirt.

Desperately frustrating player, but one who could be very special if we can get him firing on all cylinders. However I accept that might not be with us and he may well move on in the summer.

this.

although is very far fetched when they compare him to Hazard as links below show.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15251064.claude-puel-sofiane-boufal-can-be-like-eden-hazard-or-lionel-messi-just-be-patient/

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2016-2017/who-is-sofiane-boufal-and-what-will-he-bring-to-southampton_sto5776942/story.shtml

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/sofiane-boufal-meet-lilles-spurs-scouted-midfielder-whos-throwback-hazard

even though last year him and Redmond who u love were on about the same level? why does boufal not deserve the same chance?
Redmond is better suited to the PL and has a better attitude.

I have always rated him and now in a better structure he is playing well. He is a better player than Boufal.

I would rather have someone else with different attributes rather than Boufal.

He has no pace and little end product.

That is nonsense, plus even if true it hasn't stopped him having more completed dribbles in La Liga than Messi this season.

The problem he has is his decision making at the end of his runs leading to the poor end product, which can be coached. His technique, pace and dribbling is very good. I've seen some question his work rate, which is also harsh as he actually tracks back well.

Redmond is better suited to the PL and has a better attitude.

I have always rated him and now in a better structure he is playing well. He is a better player than Boufal.

I would rather have someone else with different attributes rather than Boufal.

when both were getting similar game time last year, there stats were pretty much the same, I think part of Redmond's improvement is also down to him having a solid run in the side, which neither him or boufal really had last year.

think you could argue neither end product is exceptional so far, but boufal looks more capable beating a player to me.

I think personally if he had the 35 starts Redmond has had this season he would have probably contributed as much as readers myself.

either way huge improvement on elyounoussi so would be a upgrade on current squad

Didn’t see anything exciting in that lot, just a whole bunch of dribbles that ended up being either tackled, blocked or just a wayward shot or pass.

Yeah wayward shot or pass but there’s clearly ability there which a good manager should back himself to be able to develop, he’s got genuine skill that most players simply don’t. All comes down to Ralph really, if he doesn’t think he’s up to it or doesn’t fit that’s good enough for me.

Eh? You see him beating his man and moving the ball on over and over against arguably the best defense European football has had over the past five years or so.

Sure, a couple of moves end up in wayward shots, but what were you expecting? No one is claiming he's up there with the likes of Hazard, but in terms of his ability to create space all by himself we have absolutely no one who can do what he does.

No, I see him getting a couple of yards on his man with some fancy tricks and a decent burst of acceleration. After that it's head down and charge until a defender catches up and gets a tackle in or he hits a poor cross at nobody in particular.

If I am honest, Boufal was one of the more interesting aspects of the games he played in. We had so much dross on the pitch, that his individuality was quite refreshing. He lost the ball, but unlike many people's thought, I always thought that he tried hard to win the ball back (and often did). If he comes back and puts a stint in, I will look forward to watching him.

Not sure either way, he can be exciting but also incredibly frustrating. I always appreciated his tracking back and tackling though which he did very well (partly because he lost the ball so often..!)

Ralph will get a good look at him before next season and decide either way. If he doesn't fancy him I think he will be easy enough to move on, unlike the other 10+ players we need to sell.

Then put that up against some beast of a Premier League center back or defensive midfielder, who'll rob the ball of him in the blink of an eye or leave him lying in a crumpled heap, and he looks like the lightweight show pony that he is.

I bet you slagged Tadic off too

Agree with this. Boufal is a more talented attacking player than any other in our current squad. If, and it's a big if, he gets his chance to impress Ralph then I think he will win his way back and be a positive influence in and around better players and a superior Manager. That's assuming Celta Vigo don't cough up the 15k euros to keep him.

Agree with this. Boufal is a more talented attacking player than any other in our current squad. If, and it's a big if, he gets his chance to impress Ralph then I think he will win his way back and be a positive influence in and around better players and a superior Manager. That's assuming Celta Vigo don't cough up the 15k euros to keep him.

While I agree with the argument this post makes, I loathe the cliche 'in and around' especially when used in this context.

How exactly would one player improve by being 'in' any our other player? What's are they going to do, wear them as if they're a costume or something? Surely if anything that would be detrimental to both players in question's performance.

While I agree with the argument this post makes, I loathe the cliche 'in and around' especially when used in this context.

How exactly would one player improve by being 'in' any our other player? What's are they going to do, wear them as if they're a costume or something? Surely if anything that would be detrimental to both players in question's performance.

You'd probably learn a lot from boning Yoshida.

Eh? Let me substitute among for "in and around". The point, well made by Verlaine is the likelihood that if Boufal returns and plays with a better side and a better Manager he could be quite a player for Saints.

Eh? Let me substitute among for "in and around". The point, well made by Verlaine is the likelihood that if Boufal returns and plays with a better side and a better Manager he could be quite a player for Saints.

Indeed - are we really debating whether raising the overall quality of a team generally raises the performance level of individuals within it? It's not complicated - if the players around you start finding space more easily, either because they themselves have become better at it or because the team now has a strategy that increases work rate and movement - it will be easier for creative players to find open passes and create chances.

This is true even for players like Messi and Ronaldo, whose achievements over the past decade have been significantly magnified by having the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Modric alongside them.

Spot on. Because Athletic Madrid's defence is appalling and they'd fail miserably in the Premier wouldn't they?

Can’t pick on PEH anymore, you’re turning you attention to Boufal?

Hardly never been particularly impressed by Boufal said that when he was here and the fact he isn't even here now and we are doing pretty well without him doesn't really change my opinion. As for PEH he has improved this season but he still gives the ball away, cheaply, far to much said that all along to and its still true.

No, I see him getting a couple of yards on his man with some fancy tricks and a decent burst of acceleration. After that it's head down and charge until a defender catches up and gets a tackle in or he hits a poor cross at nobody in particular.

I didn’t see any “fancy tricks”.

Do you have a weekly schedule of dinners?

I didn’t see any “fancy tricks”.

Do you have a weekly schedule of dinners?

Well, whatever you call his little turns and shimmies to create a yard of space to blindly charge into. He can't be all that amazing because he's spent most of the season in and out of the team, either on the bench or being subbed off when they can't score.

Anyway, whilst I finish my dinner check out this video from some other bloke we're going to sign in summer. I can't wait!

That is nonsense, plus even if true it hasn't stopped him having more completed dribbles in La Liga than Messi this season.

The problem he has is his decision making at the end of his runs leading to the poor end product, which can be coached. His technique, pace and dribbling is very good. I've seen some question his work rate, which is also harsh as he actually tracks back well.

Its not nonsense.

He isn't a quick player. Nobody would ever describe Boufal as pacy.Hence why he ends up having to beat the same player again quite often.

He completes dribbles with skill, nobody is denying he is a good dribbler but he isn't a fast player and countless times RH has said he wants fast players.

Besides, as you acknowledge, Boufal's end product is dross.

Its not nonsense.

He isn't a quick player. Nobody would ever describe Boufal as pacy.Hence why he ends up having to beat the same player again quite often.

He completes dribbles with skill, nobody is denying he is a good dribbler but he isn't a fast player and countless times RH has said he wants fast players.

Besides, as you acknowledge, Boufal's end product is dross.

What do you regard as pace? Speed over 5 metres or speed over 30 metres.

He definately has pace to beat a player one on one over 5 metres with pace and skill, I don t think you realize he has a good acceleration

Boufal divides more opinion than any other. If he could fully get on board with RH's fitness regime and how RH expects him to play within the team, I think he could be top drawer for us. Big if though.

Not a big if for me. Look at how Ralph has transformed some of our players. He can do the same for Sofiane.

Boufal is a very gifted footballer. His dribbling skills are in no doubt, he is also good at tracking back and defending (though as others have said often it is because he has lost the ball either directly or indirectly). His issue is that he has little or no end product and that is because he does not look up when he is playing the ball. It is his style and it is how he plays (and probably always played). He does not possess the vision to bring other players into the game. It is very difficult to coach that out of him and to transform his style from a skilled footballer to a team player. Maybe Ralph can do it, I have serious doubts.

He hasn't even seen Boufal train yet. All anyone is saying is that they hope he'll be given a chance to impress in pre-season, rather than being judged prematurely surplus to requirements. Why wouldn't we?

I'm sure he will. I'm just questioning why some people seem so confident he will suddenly improve based on little more than what Redmond has achieved.

I'm sure he will. I'm just questioning why some people seem so confident he will suddenly improve based on little more than what Redmond has achieved.

I think it's because, hand on heart, I think he is a much better player than Redmond, who has many of Boufal's flaws and nowhere near the same level of natural ability.