Reed Gone - Official

Lighthouse

Were the club right to remove Reed?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Were the club right to remove Reed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I have been moaning for over 2 years on TUI about getting rid of that pointless rubbish big edd. Now it's happened, I can look forward to something interesting happening, like Hughes not being told to play pointless footballer,

teachers pet, Prowsey. My opinion, Ross Wilson has not been allowed to do his job, but now he can.

I have been moaning for over 2 years on TUI about getting rid of that pointless rubbish big edd. Now it's happened, I can look forward to something interesting happening, like Hughes not being told to play pointless footballer,

teachers pet, Prowsey. My opinion, Ross Wilson has not been allowed to do his job, but now he can.

Fair play to your persistence pal - TUI has been the inner sanctum for the leslieites over the past few years.

Doesn't seem likely given the club statement

The search for the right replacement, along with a thorough review into the club’s football operations, has begun.

or the fact this has come right of the blue without any ITK leaks would suggest this wasn't planned to me.

Given our recent track record no doubt we will replace Les and Ross just after the Jan transfer window.....

It's precisely what it does suggest, that the search has 'begun'.

Could be a few months of serious turmoil ahead as we try to adapt and combat the issues that are going to arise from this, like what do we do with the Gabbi song now?!?!?

It's still relevant because he was bought under Les' reign, but are we allowed to still sing his name? Maybe there could be a poll on this too!?

My opinion, Ross Wilson has not been allowed to do his job, but now he can.

Seems unlikely that LR was running a private scouting operation through Europe while steadfastly ignoring the minor-league gems being served by by Wilson. Far more likely is that the job was too big for RW, so he tried to shortcut by scouting the fringes of bigger clubs like Bayern, Juventus and Lazio for prospects. That way, at least he could say that someone else with clout had already passed a positive judgment on the players he was suggesting.

Someone needs to be held to account for the decline in the club over the last 2.5 seasons and the 3 managerial appointments which haven't worked out. As well as the £20m signing of a player who was quickly deemed not good enough and shipped out on loan. And another new CB and AM who can't even get in the starting team.

If it was Les that made those decisions, yes he had to go.

Someone needs to be held to account for the decline in the club over the last 2.5 seasons and the 3 managerial appointments which haven't worked out. As well as the £20m signing of a player who was quickly deemed not good enough and shipped out on loan. And another new CB and AM who can't even get in the starting team.

If it was Les that made those decisions, yes he had to go.

And the decline of the academy, and the contract extension for Forster.

At first I thought it was a wind up but when I saw the Club statement I accepted their decision as genuine. However (isn't there always an however) Hughes won't be sacked win or lose on Saturday. GAO is not going to fork out millions in compensation any more than Sparky will resign. Reed going won't change much until Ralphy baby slings his hook too. Some suggestions for Reeds replacement are questionable because the very same Board Members who kept Les here so long after his sell by date haven't changed. Perhaps we have set our hopes too high again.

At long last, thanks for the initial years Les but after the last 2-3 seasons you just had to go. Maybe Gao does have some balls after all.

Sparky's position is looking very tenuous now, not completely his fault TBH but when these things happen they tend to clear everything out.

Time to get some energy and ambition back into proceedings - what's Cortese's number?

Great news.

Obviously easy to look back etc but it makes you think why he didn't just give Koeman the contract/backing he wanted. We must have wasted well over £100m since then on players and paying managers off.

For me that sums Reed up. Believed his own hype.

Personally I think it is one step in the right direction but Ralph and the rest of the failed muppets need to go too.

As others have mentioned I think Hughes must know now he is on even thinner ice than he was before. They should just fire the bullet and get it over with now.

I didn't expect that, but this has given me a bit of renewed belief that there are people who can see what's going on beyond Reed and co.

Without question he did contribute here and for elements of what he did we will always have to be thankful, but over the last couple of years his increased power and involvement has made him look increasingly out of his depth. For me, Reed and Wilson are the two main characters culpable for the disastrous transfer windows over the last couple of years - so whilst this is progress, we need to also see the back of Wilson as well.

Reed delivered well for his paymasters over the course of time...Hughes is irrelevant...The whole Southampton Way mantra/ethos will now be under scrutiny and liable to change. Owners were probably expecting a myriad of Talent coming through the Academy when it looks like the Academy is completely devoid of anything likely to come through? Academy performance and Managerial selection his downfall...will likely replace Emenalo at Chelsea.

I get the impression this was Kruger's decision.

Would like to see Hughes given the boot too, might make it a little more appealing to a potential DoF if they have the chance to appoint their own man from day 1 and don't have to put up with Hughes.

No chance - Krueger is just a figurehead; this was decision by Gao or one of his advisors. He owns the club and it is his money at stake. Any decision like this would have been made by him

I suspect Hughes will get a bit longer now as well though

I voted "undecided".

The Koeman years were the best that we have had. I still think that he, like the rest of the club, had one hand tied behind his back due to the owners' wishes. But Pellegrino - WTF was that appointment? One that has taken us hugely backwards and we haven't recovered from. Not least as he spunked £20m away on Carillo, when instead he should have sacked the manager.

Potentially big news depending upon what other decisions the club make, but...

I was under the impression from his lower profile lately, that Reed was on gardening leave anyway.

I’m not sure how meaningful this will be if Ross Wilson remains as is his successor. How responsible is Wilson for some of the club’s more recent debatable decisions? Watch this space, I suppose.

Where does this leave Hughes?

Anyway Reed deserved the boot for the Pellegrino fiasco alone. Best of luck to him and all that, but I’m not sad to see him go.

Could we have a vote on bringing back Nicola Cortese?

Why?

Les Reed was DOF, Cortese was the CEO

Martin Hunter was a technical director (largely in charge of the academy), Cortese was the CEO

Aside from the facts of the damage he did he's not coming back to replace either one of those two people who's job he couldn't do (and both of whom he hired).

No chance - Krueger is just a figurehead; this was decision by Gao or one of his advisors. He owns the club and it is his money at stake. Any decision like this would have been made by him

Nah, I reckon Nelly and Kat decided it at a coffee morning, or at a Costa after a shopping spree together.

Thing is, there's nobody on the board who know anything about football (other than Wilson) & even that is certainly questionable!

Pretty sure I read somewhere not that long ago that about Wilson. That he basically tripped and fell into football whilst en route into another field of life entirely.

Could be very likely that Wilson et al could all be going.

If they get someone in to shake up the football side, which Reed was basically head of, then that person could basically clear out most of the people down, or at least the key ones like Reed, Hughes, Hale etc. to achieve this new direction and review, they might want to bring in their own people and have a fresh start.

It's pretty clear that first team management/coaching/fitness has been poor recently and over the last two seasons (you only have to look at how less sharp Ings is now, compared to coming off the back of a Liverpool pre-season, plus our consistent ability to give away late goals which is a fitness/concentration issue).

Then the academy, at least on the face of it seems pretty poor, not many players coming through, not great performance of the U18 and U23 teams for a while.

And of course the scouting team has struggled to find any gems and doesn't seem to have recruited the right players. (though management and use of these players might also have contributed).

I am genuinely shocked at this to be honest, didn't think the club had this in them any more.