Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

Nice little swipe at Luke "Nandos" Shaw.

He does come across as arrogant, and his being best buddies with Ronaldo doesn't help. Unfortunately (for him) he isn't doing it on the pitch where it really matters, until it does all his talk is just that.

Perhaps you should read the article. There's nothing arrogant in it - in fact the opposite. But hey, don't let that get in the way of any agenda now that he's no longer playing for us.

I have no agenda and it's certainly not because he's left us. I've been saying all season that he needs to go.

He's become to big for his boots (always had an ego before the EC win anyway, but it's only got worse).

He really has turned into a bit of a rent-a -gob since leaving, giving needless interviews with nothing particular to say,perhaps only saying things to justify his move to himself.

This is the latest crap to be spouted to justify a move:

Stability at home was a major part of his decision to sign for West Ham. He often felt isolated with his young family — he and Cassie have a daughter Luna, one, and a son Luca, three — in Southampton, three hours from Cassie's relatives in Kent and a flight away from his own in Portugal.

Did he have any other option than to sign for West Ham ? And did it really take him nigh on six years to feel isolated and away from his or his wife's family ?

I have no agenda and it's certainly not because he's left us. I've been saying all season that he needs to go.

He's become to big for his boots (always had an ego before the EC win anyway, but it's only got worse).

We would have a bigger chance of winning the cup final if Fonte was still here. I don't know about his "big ego" but he seems like a decent guy to me. He has never said anything bad about the club and always showed passion on the pitch, so I will def always have fond memories of Fonte. It's sad some of the fans feel the need to talk him down.

We would have a bigger chance of winning the cup final if Fonte was still here. I don't know about his "big ego" but he seems like a decent guy to me. He has never said anything bad about the club and always showed passion on the pitch, so I will def always have fond memories of Fonte. It's sad some of the fans feel the need to talk him down.

I agree with your post apart from the first sentence. Ibra bullied Fonte and VVD in August at OT in the league. Reality is that player and club grew apart and we got at least 50% of his replacement cost (Ake or maybe less than 50% for Semedo) when he was on the wane. He hasn't pulled up any trees so far but may do better as he beds in. Wouldn't boo him as bought for £1.2m and sold for £8-9m at 33. Did great for us but we move on.

All this talk about loyalty and being a great servant. He was asked by a friend of mine recently who's not interested in football why he never left Southampton when many other players did, his answer was that no one came in for him. The first offers he got were this summer gone, and low and behold, he asked the club to leave.

He was a great player for us, but make no mistakes, he was not loyal, and the first sniff of a move, he tried to take it.

At least I'm told that he's actually unhappy at West Ham because he hates the way they play and thinks that the management don't know what they are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would have had a bigger chance of winning the cup if we had Bourc instead of Forster, it's all what if's. FWIW I don't agree as Ibra was all over Fonte when we played united at the start of the season and Fonte's been a bit of a liability for us and west ham this year.

Actions speak louder than words, and the way he conducted himself behind the scenes (some of which I have been told about, some of which is speculation) has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

A good servant, who was very lucky to play next to 3 top class CB's who brought the best out of him.

Edited by SKD

I think it's obvious to everyone that the move wasn't for beneficial footballing reasons. It's a backwards career move. He knows that and it hurts him, hence all the attempts at justification going on. The real reason as obviously long-term earnings because we didn't want to offer an even more lucrative deal to an old player. He had someone willing to better it and they were willing to pay us a high fee. So it's good for everyone on that basis and I don't see any need for recriminations.

I think he's just a bit gutted that he's gone from playing for a progressive club and winning the European Championships to playing for a club on the wane. What he really wanted was a lucrative move to a "top" club.

I think it's obvious to everyone that the move wasn't for beneficial footballing reasons. It's a backwards career move. He knows that and it hurts him, hence all the attempts at justification going on. The real reason as obviously long-term earnings because we didn't want to offer an even more lucrative deal to an old player. He had someone willing to better it and they were willing to pay us a high fee. So it's good for everyone.

I think he's just a bit gutted that he's gone from playing for a progressive club and winning the European Championships to playing for a club on the wane. What he really wanted was a lucrative move to a "top" club.

This.

After how he acted this season, he had no choice but to leave us and the only choices he had were West Ham, Palace and Everton (it is true he chose West Ham for family reasons).

There was talk of United coming in over the summer which promoted him to act like he has to try and force a move (hence why he didn't play in EL) when he finally realised that united weren't coming in for him he had no choice but to pick from one of the 3 above as from what I have been told, he had lost the dressing room.

This.

After how he acted this season, he had no choice but to leave us and the only choices he had were West Ham, Palace and Everton (it is true he chose West Ham for family reasons).

There was talk of United coming in over the summer which promoted him to act like he has to try and force a move (hence why he didn't play in EL) when he finally realised that united weren't coming in for him he had no choice but to pick from one of the 3 above as from what I have been told, he had lost the dressing room.

Absolutely spot on that, though if i understand it right Everton would've been his choice but pulled out for some reason.

Dunno why everyone's so angry, or why they're talking about him trying to 'justify' the move. He's already said money was a big factor, but that doesn't mean the stuff about his family is untrue. The bits about West Ham's ambition are press lines, but so what? Our guys do it too.

PS - Fonte won't have been running around demanding to be put up for interview. The club will have offered him up because he's a new signing, good bloke, good media performer, interesting career story etc.

Edited by DuncanRG

You think it's a coincidence we've look more coherent & more of a team since he's left. Puel looks more assured & things are looking up. It was VvD being injured that cost us the final , not Fonte

Can a mod lock this thread please. Fonte has moved on and so should this forum.

No. There is little other football to talk about, and if I want to discuss Fonte, why can't I? If you want to move on, just do it rather than trying to impose your thoughts on us.

Can every please just talk about stuff Mr Biscuits wants to talk about, thank you.

The Forum should move on, Mr Biscuits knows what's best...

I for one will continue to enjoy holding a grudge - schadenfreude being one of my main footballing pleasures.

I had to see what the fuss was about Mrs Fonte. I see that she went out with Russel Brand - now that's a fairly damning indictment. And then I read she was a "glamour model", so expanded the google search to see what was so "glamorous". Not a shy girl.

I had to see what the fuss was about Mrs Fonte. I see that she went out with Russel Brand - now that's a fairly damning indictment. And then I read she was a "glamour model", so expanded the google search to see what was so "glamorous". Not a shy girl.

Link ? Haha

Got to give this another airing not that long ago and he couldnt be happier

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2015-10-16/fonte-signs-new-deal-until-2018

Seen in the context of his recent interviews though you can now see the pain behind the smile.

While he was saying all that stuff about being happy he was really wrestling with isolation of him and his family from Kent and the fear of 50 years of enforced retirement as a a pauper....

If he'd stayed I think we'd have won the cup. We were so desperate for a CB, but that's the club's fault over Fonte's. I don't know how he acted but whatever the reasons it's a shame. He did drop a league to join us so that was likely for the money. Still, he was brilliant for us, a great captain for years and many great memories so criticising now seems a bit over the top. Say no loyalty etc if someone leaves quickly but he was with us a long time and repaid the transfer fee a a dozen times over.

We secured clean sheets all the way through to the final, without Fonte for a few of them I'm sure. I think to say "we would have won the cup" is completely unfounded and something you cannot say. Luck played a massive role in that cup final. If I decided to have chicken for dinner the evening prior, we would have won! Silly comment.

On to Fonte. Great player for us throughout League One, the Championship and the PL. Has not been as good this season, partly due to his head being turned, partly because his legs are going.

He moved for his family, because of money and security. Can't blame him. Can't blame Saints for not wanting to give him a long contract.

The situation turned out to be the best for all concerned.

Didn't Prince Harry give her one?

Didn't Prince Harry give her one?

No idea. but came across quite a saucy photo set with her and a certain Louise Glover. Wonder whether José had a knock about with the two of them?

Poor José must be absolutely knackered keeping up with that.

I have nothing against Jose Fonte

I appreciate his contribution to the club's progress and was disappointed at his departure.

However a mate of mine who is a Hammers fan told me he was sh*te again today.

He is also disappointed in their keeper (Randolph - shades of our own keeper criticism) as well as Snodgrass who I thought was a decent (if ageing) buy for them

I have nothing against Jose Fonte

I appreciate his contribution to the club's progress and was disappointed at his departure.

However a mate of mine who is a Hammers fan told me he was sh*te again today.

He is also disappointed in their keeper (Randolph - shades of our own keeper criticism) as well as Snodgrass who I thought was a decent (if ageing) buy for them

Bilic could well get the boot because West Ham can't seem to defend. Got worse since Fonte joined so you can see why they are not happy.

Searching "Fonte" on twitter is a delight. They effing hate him.

7 games before Jose joined WHU: 10 goals conceded.

7 games he's played: 16 conceded.

Hammers legend in the making.

Can't be right we would have won the cup final if Fonte had played.....

Edited by doddisalegend

he is probably better than stephens still

No doubt. Having said that, his form has dipped alarmingly. I saw only last night's highlights but his defending against Leicester was hilariously bad. He was jumping around like a jack in the box. It was like he didn't know where he was supposed to stand.

Worth noting how much difference Sakho has made to Palace. Would we have won the cup with him?

They have kept three clean sheets with him playing granted BUT two of those games were Middlesbro and Watford at home, niether renowned for scoring away from home.

Lets see him up against a decent team first.

Fonte did well for Saints and although his leaving was not the best he still had to put his family first IMO and if he just fades away we should not forget the good times !

Don't fall for that spin. It makes it sound as if they were going to be destitute and lining up at the soup kitchen had he stayed.

• 2 weeks later...