Ralph Hasenhuttl

SuperSAINT

With the caveat that Leipzig had finished 2nd the season before they finished 6th, so a bit of a regression. But yes, generally promising

But I think he was in charge when they finished 2nd.

I wouldn't read too much into his Leipzig success though as he had Ralf Rangnick as a DoF and worked with a nucleus of squad that Rangnick had been part of selecting, and spent £40m once he took over. All a bit different to what the Legacy of Les & the Lesbians have left him with here.

Edited by Badger

Surely if it is him, we have a DoF involved somewhere along the line? Where would we expect a left-field name like this to come from otherwise?

Paul Mitchell was at Leipzig as well. Another one who didn’t get on with Reed.

Looks like we're going back to the model of talented, youngish coaches who may get snapped up by the bigger boys in a few years time. And truth be told, I'm alright with it. Excited about a new manager for the first time since Adkins. (Poch was great but we had no idea at the time).

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/premier-league/premierleague/ex-leipzig-coach-hasenhuettl-trainer-southampton-58794494.sport.html

Maybe it loses something in translation, but it seems to suggest it's done.

Any German speakers on here able to give a more nuanced translation?

Can’t help there but apparently his surname translates to Rabbit Hutch. No joke.

Looks like we're going back to the model of talented, youngish coaches who may get snapped up by the bigger boys in a few years time. And truth be told, I'm alright with it. Excited about a new manager for the first time since Adkins. (Poch was great but we had no idea at the time).

& what we can say about Ralph is that (unlike Pellegrino), at least the theory of why we want him is logical. (High pressing, attacking football).

Nothing about Pellegrino made sense from an attacking point of view.

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/premier-league/premierleague/ex-leipzig-coach-hasenhuettl-trainer-southampton-58794494.sport.html

Maybe it loses something in translation, but it seems to suggest it's done.

Any German speakers on here able to give a more nuanced translation?

Spent an awful lot of years living and working in Germany during 70's - 2010 so I'm fluent in ordering beer, food and getting taxi's home. Other than that the only phrase I know is 'sprachenzie englisch bitte, ich niche sprachen deutsch'. :lol:

Let's not forget the in the knows have said it's Flores.

Whilst those two have always been spot on previously the fact there is £100 freely available to back him at 10/1 on Betfair suggests this may be the exception to the rule....

In this case, we were overcome by events. Sunday afternoon I was told Hughes was going Monday morning, and as RH was getting cold feet, Flores was coming in instead. I know K billy had the same source. Seems that now RH is on board, MAybe even Flores was used as a stalking horse to show him we were in a hurry to appoint. Which is great as I think RH has the potential to be so much better than Flores.

Ok, well this is a pleasant surprise. A forward thinking, long-term and highly regarded managerial appointment. After the last few we've been crying out for someone like this, he's very much in the Klopp mould and will obviously know a lot about high pressing football. Dare I say we're going back to having some sort of philosophy? As we have totally lost that through the last few appointments.

The debate is if we really have the players to do that, but then bringing in Mitchell alongside him is an interesting choice. He obviously got plaudits for the way we managed the 2015 pre-season, but he still did find his share of duds! (although nowhere near as bad as wee ross...)

In this case, we were overcome by events. Sunday afternoon I was told Hughes was going Monday morning, and as RH was getting cold feet, Flores was coming in instead. I know K billy had the same source. Seems that now RH is on board, MAybe even Flores was used as a stalking horse to show him we were in a hurry to appoint. Which is great as I think RH has the potential to be so much better than Flores.

Thanks for the update Guan

Spent an awful lot of years living and working in Germany during 70's - 2010 so I'm fluent in ordering beer, food and getting taxi's home. Other than that the only phrase I know is 'sprachenzie englisch bitte, ich niche sprachen deutsch'. :lol:

The Bild article doesn't say much, "RH on the verge of joining Saints" "Hughes had to go after 10 winless games" "RH was earlier linked to Bayern and Leverkusen and now he can fulfill his dream of working abroad"

not really in depth.

Ok, well this is a pleasant surprise. A forward thinking, long-term and highly regarded managerial appointment. After the last few we've been crying out for someone like this, he's very much in the Klopp mould and will obviously know a lot about high pressing football. Dare I say we're going back to having some sort of philosophy? As we have totally lost that through the last few appointments.

The debate is if we really have the players to do that, but then bringing in Mitchell alongside him is an interesting choice. He obviously got plaudits for the way we managed the 2015 pre-season, but he still did find his share of duds! (although nowhere near as bad as wee ross...)

Considering our current ratio of duds to gems is lots to none, anything would be an improvement. Recruitment is always going to involve a lot of guesswork and every club signs duds, but if we can find 1-2 Manes for 3-4 duds I'd imagine most of us would be happy.

Extremely happy with this, would've got on board with Quique but Hasenhuttl has had a great pedigree wherever he's been. Hopefully one of his conditions is us actually giving something to spend in January.

thats hope that the January funds were what convinced him to change his mind after getting cold feet

Wouldn't like to guess at how much all these sackings have cost us in the transfer kitty.

more than we got from Everton for Koeman, that's for sure.

more than the extra we would have had to pay Koeman, that's for sure.