Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Get rid of a promising young striker to bring in one whose best days are probably over (due to two ACL injuries in two years) - doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

What? It's a brilliant plan. If we ensure that Ings and Austin schedule their injuries at different times, we'll get a full season of prolific goalscoring between the two of them.

What? It's a brilliant plan. If we ensure that Ings and Austin schedule their injuries at different times, we'll get a full season of prolific goalscoring between the two of them.

Or perhaps we are considering a reverse takeover of a retirement home

Based on exceptionally good loan spells at Blackburn and Birmingham. He looked streets ahead of Gabbi yesterday.

What do you mean by exceptionally good loan spells at Birmingham what is that based on surely not by goals scored

He was dropped by a struggling Birmingham team wasn’t he ?

Yep. Imagine the uproar if we were signing a striker from Birmingham who'd been dropped and scored 6 goals in 33 games in the previous season. Nobody would see such a player as our solution.

Yep. Imagine the uproar if we were signing a striker from Birmingham who'd been dropped and scored 6 goals in 33 games in the previous season. Nobody would see such a player as our solution.

It’s also amusing the ones who say he should be given a run of games to prove himself. Are they the same ones who lamblasted the management for giving the likes of Redmond a run of games and spent the whole time slagging him off from his first game saying he was sh*t and should be dropped?

You’d have thought given the manager and coaches, seeing as how they work with the player every day, see them in training, in training matches and know far more about the player than any one posting on an Internet forum there really isn’t a need to throw them in the team for 10 games, deliberately weakening the team in the process, so they can try and prove they are good enough when they’ve done nothing in their entire career to suggest they are going to be.

It’s also amusing the ones who say he should be given a run of games to prove himself. Are they the same ones who lamblasted the management for giving the likes of Redmond a run of games and spent the whole time slagging him off from his first game saying he was sh*t and should be dropped?

You’d have thought given the manager and coaches, seeing as how they work with the player every day, see them in training, in training matches and know far more about the player than any one posting on an Internet forum there really isn’t a need to throw them in the team for 10 games, deliberately weakening the team in the process, so they can try and prove they are good enough when they’ve done nothing in their entire career to suggest they are going to be.

Getting a run of games for any player will do them good so I wouldn’t dismiss the theory. However, Sam is not there yet. I simply meant he had decent loan spells atBlackburn and Birmingham to take him back close to the level he was at when he first broke in to our first team. He had to work quite hard for his six goals at Birmingham - working under Harry Redknapp, being dropped, played in different positions all for a crap side that gave him poor service. As a developing player he’s done well but still has a way to go. The fact that he outshone Gabbi the other day just shows how much he’s fallen way from his early form

Probably not, there isn't one Saints Web opinion. But what you can confidently say is that there will be a constituency of fans who will be on his back if he is given a run in the team.

Good mate of mine supports Birmingham City... Reckons that Cotteril was a terrible Manager, and kept playing players out of position, including Sam Gallagher whom he insisted played on the right wing.

Once Monk was appointed and Gallagher played in his proper position, his form improved markedly, along with many others in the team. Birmingham pretty much did a Southampton, in that they looked relegated but changed manager just in time and somehow managed to stay up.

I think properly managed and given a run, Gallagher could be useful but would not expect him to have a heap of game time, so he may opt to leave anyway. If the Blades or anyone else offered a decent chunk of coin, I would be fine with him leaving, as long as Saints look at another forward option (not Ings).

Good mate of mine supports Birmingham City... Reckons that Cotteril was a terrible Manager, and kept playing players out of position, including Sam Gallagher whom he insisted played on the right wing.

Once Monk was appointed and Gallagher played in his proper position, his form improved markedly, along with many others in the team. Birmingham pretty much did a Southampton, in that they looked relegated but changed manager just in time and somehow managed to stay up.

I think properly managed and given a run, Gallagher could be useful but would not expect him to have a heap of game time, so he may opt to leave anyway. If the Blades or anyone else offered a decent chunk of coin, I would be fine with him leaving, as long as Saints look at another forward option (not Ings).

Not quite sure why you have such an aversion to Ings but still...

pre ACL, would have loved Ings at Saints, but for me, a player is only ever rarely anywhere near as good as they were pre ACL, and the risk of a recurrence is always a worry.

Nothing against Ings personally, would just be gutted if we spent the 20 mill or whatever it is on him and he went down again.

Some players are just injury prone like Sturridge, Carroll, Ings, Austin and Wilshire. It's not that they aren't good players but unless they are on a free and cheap in wages a club is better off spending money on players who will make a more useful contribution to a

season other than just keeping the club physio in work.

The issue with Ings is that he seems to have had two major injuries in BOTH knees, so 4 major knee injuries in his career.

That is a worry for any player, and whether he can get back to what he was doing for Burnley is debatable. Liverpool was a bad move for him, he was what 22, had just had a very good debut PL season and then went to a club where he was always going to be on the bench. I'm sure his bank balance was decent but hardly helped his career even without the injuries.

2015 Ings I'd have had in a heartbeat, he was quick, had good movement, could dribble past people but you have to worry that his pace, acceleration and agility are going to be restricted by the injuries

We might as well have kept Jay Rod, at least he has shown signs of getting back to near his best after his injury, I haven't seen much of Ings since his return to injury so not sure how he is playing but I presume he is fit as he scored in their friendly win against Chester.

I'd like to think we'd keep Gallagher and give him a go, he's been on loan for two years to Championship clubs who have been relegation threatened and changed managers all the time so against all that has done relatively well (think he was top scorer for both Blackburn and Brum). I'd like to see how he'd do in a more settled team with better players, especially as someone who is 6' 4" and decently mobile which is something we don't really have, he can't do much worse than Long.

Like Reed, I think he's got something about him. He's hardly had a sustained run so it'd be interesting to see what he'd be like with a few games under his belt, not 10 minutes here or there.

A better assessment of his ability level would probably to ask the teams fans who he has been on loan to.

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder reveals timescale for new signings as Blades sweat it out in Portugal heat

Manager Chris Wilder expects new players to join Sheffield United "in the next week or two" as he puts his side through their paces in pre-season in Portugal.

Wilder's side, who have been put through two sessions a day in the heat after landing in the Algarve, took part in an open training session for their fans today before taking on Portuguese top flight outfit Maritimo tomorrow evening (7pm local time). And with Wilder still chasing reinforcements following David Brooks' move to Premier League side Bournemouth, he said of his side's mental strength: "It's important because there will be times throughout the season when they need each other, and we've got that in abundance.

"It needs to keep growing, and it will do - with the new players coming in and the players that will join in the next week or two. That's driven and player-led. We set the temperature of the greenhouse and off they go. They're growing."

Wilder is interested in Southampton's Sam Gallagher and Scott Hogan, of Aston Villa, while reports suggest he is monitoring Leeds United's Kemar Roofe.

"It is important that we ramp up the schedule and we have done," Wilder added. "The lads want to do their best in every session. We put a running session on on Tuesday, we've taken them out of their comfort zone and the lads have done their best. "We've had four sessions on the grass in two days and overall the first two weeks of pre-season has been excellent. The lads have come back in good nick, we are recording times, the progress is measurable and it has improved from the first week. "Our last two pre-season trips have set us up for the campaign and hopefully this will be the same."

Source: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-reveals-timescale-for-new-signings-as-blades-sweat-it-out-in-portugal-heat-1-9245915

Took his goal today really well & has impressed with limited minutes in the 2 games.

Do or die for him at sfc this year and I for one hope he gets a chance. He has many of the attributes required to be a top striker. Height & speed are a particularly rare combo at this level.

I wonder if Hughes can coach him into a real player for us?

Took his goal today really well & has impressed with limited minutes in the 2 games.

Do or die for him at sfc this year and I for one hope he gets a chance. He has many of the attributes required to be a top striker. Height & speed are a particularly rare combo at this level.

I wonder if Hughes can coach him into a real player for us?

Can't disagree with any of that. I think he's going to go though to part-fund moves for other players.

Yep joined us from Plymouth 2012 I think first game 2013 in a cup game as sub.

Sorry first league game was against Arsenal. Was highly thought of as a future prospect and now he needs to show Hughes he has what it takes

Edited by SFC Forever

No they are not being linked. They have been quoted as wanting a loan. Maybe semantics, but others can say what they like about him, unless and until Saints say so, there is no loan in the offing.

Changed "linked with loan move" to "interested in" :D

I'd rather spend the money on a winger to compete with Mo, Redmond and Sims.

Agree, at least give the lad a season to see what he can do.

Harry Kane had some pretty uninspiring loan spells, but Spurs gave him a chance and he flourished (just to note I am not for one second saying Gallagher will do a Kane, just using it as example of why loan spells aren't always a good judge of a player)

Long must be on a good £50k a week as well, ship him out to some Championship club, I am sure one of them would stump up £10 million for him.

If we aren't willing to give Gallagher a game then we should sell him.

Now is that weird sort of twilight zone where Prem sides decide who they want to keep/loan/sell.

I suppose Sam would be quite a pricey purchase for a lot of sides & who knows, maybe Hughes might like the look of him.

The lad needs to see if he can cut it in the Prem or not now, another loan would be ridiculous for him and for us... We should give him the chance.

I have seen enough of him to think that given the right Coach and a bit of belief in him he can make it with us.

Could barely get in a Birmingham side last season who were rubbish, should be loaned out or sold.

33 league games, and he was injured suggests that maybe you are talking ********. Christ on a bike I do wonder about some of the muppets on here, then I try to remember that they are (mostly) Saints supporters.

33 league games, and he was injured suggests that maybe you are talking ********. Christ on a bike I do wonder about some of the muppets on here, then I try to remember that they are (mostly) Saints supporters.

Some of the muppets that can’t take any criticism of our own players are just as bad.