Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

The fact that it's United, Arsenal and Leicester enquiring for him is probably an indication that it could be a reflection on the poor players he's been surrounded with, kind of similar to Tadic. Would be happy if we could get anything upwards of £22m for him though, but would definitely be disappointed if it's the £15m being initially rumoured.

Simon Peach on Twitter confirming contact has been made. It's both a shame that he will go as we know how talented he can be, but also we've coped without him so for large chunks that he's not going to be a big miss and his good games are far too apart. He may well thrive at a big club but he needs to be more consistent. Hopefully we get upwards of £25m and re-invest.

I like Lemina I think there is a good player in there but he was poor last season (acknowledging that he had injury problems) to the point where I'd be surprised the likes of Man U where even vaguely intrested.

If they are I might suggest we have a number of saints players available who played to a similar level last season they can have [emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Seems odd that Man Utd would be interested and we're barely asking for what we paid for him, let alone any sort of mark up. Should be looking for at least £25m IMO.

agreed

If Tielemans went for £40m I would like at least £30m for him- some Championship players are now going for £15-20m

Seems odd that Man Utd would be interested and we're barely asking for what we paid for him, let alone any sort of mark up. Should be looking for at least £25m IMO.

That is less than the £26.5m Bournemouth got for selling a backup centre back to a newly promoted side! Plus Mings is also older than Lemina.

In a market where Man Utd pay £50m for a right back with one Premier League season Saints should be looking for a lot more than merely breaking even for a player of Lemina's quality. I know he hasn't been consistent at Saints but in terms of ability he is one of our best players even if not currently 1st choice. He is exactly what Man Utd and Arsenal need in central midfielder and should warrant a huge price.

That is less than the £26.5m Bournemouth got for selling a backup centre back to a newly promoted side! Plus Mings is also older than Lemina.

In a market where Man Utd pay £50m for a right back with one Premier League season Saints should be looking for a lot more than merely breaking even for a player of Lemina's quality. I know he hasn't been consistent at Saints but in terms of ability he is one of our best players even if not currently 1st choice. He is exactly what Man Utd and Arsenal need in central midfielder and should warrant a huge price.

In terms of ability surely our best player - he is the one player we have who can single-handedly dominate a match. Yes, he was injured a lot of last season / was even playing when it was known he was not 100%, but if he can keep fit I'd much rather him than our other midfield options. With the silly prices now he's got to be worth at least 30 mill too.

Perhaps we just desperately want the money in and don't want to drag it out until the end of the window, or jeopardise losing the transfer altogether.

I agree though, £15m would be robbery in the current market and we should be looking at least £25m.

Have to say though, I'm surprised Man Utd are interested, I can't see Arsenal spending a chunk of their 'alleged' small budget on him, plus Leicester have just signed Tielemans so can't see them getting him as well.

Bonkers price here, there has to be more to it than meets the eye. When on form hes our best midfielder, and while he can be inconsistent I'm surprised he won't be given a chance under Hasenhuttl. I can only assume we rate our chances so grim of giving rid of some of the other nonsense in the squad that we're selling wanted assets to fund improving other parts of the team.

In terms of ability surely our best player - he is the one player we have who can single-handedly dominate a match. Yes, he was injured a lot of last season / was even playing when it was known he was not 100%, but if he can keep fit I'd much rather him than our other midfield options. With the silly prices now he's got to be worth at least 30 mill too.

He had a lot of off field problems, police, drink, driving and maybe he is not the type we are trying to develop. And clearly we'll get more for him than others, so lets go for it

Let him go to Utd, he doesn't always turn up for games and has made some big errors. Has undoubtedly got the ability but if we can get £25m then take it. If he had the same attitude and desire as Hoj then it would be different

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

/QUOTE]

I don't think you can really use Mings as a yardstick on transfer fees, Bournemouth only got that fee for him because Villa were desperate to keep him, it's not an indication of player value at all.

If Villa had lost the play off final and other premier league sides decided they wanted him, this is no way that any of them would have paid that fee regardless of how well he played on loan at Villa.

I don't think you can really use Mings as a yardstick on transfer fees, Bournemouth only got that fee for him because Villa were desperate to keep him, it's not an indication of player value at all.

If Villa had lost the play off final and other premier league sides decided they wanted him, this is no way that any of them would have paid that fee regardless of how well he played on loan at Villa.

Plus - it was £20m not, £26m as reported.

Edited by Saint Garrett

How weird. Utd are a club without any sort of clue transfer wise, aren't they?

He's certainly not what they need or want. I have no idea why they are even interested. Baffling club that is right now.

They probably see him as 'Pogba-lite'.

One social media Midfielder to another for United

THat is one egotistical bellend for another.

He is a good player, but has been in and out of the team since he joined. If we can recoup or even better the fee and re-invest then that is the best outcome for all concerned. This may not need to be a direct replacement either, rather using the fee towards higher wages for a better CB (for example).

Who says he won’t be replaced? I’d rather a consistent, fit, pretty good defensive midfielder that wants to be here than an excellent enigma that performs once in a blue moon, is injured a lot and doesn’t want to be here.

Let him go if the price is right. It seems crazy that we could make a profit on a player that’s not exactly excelled in his time here, but, similar to Mings transfer, that’s the current market for you. With Lemina leaving and Austin, Gallagher, Boufal, Clasie and the keepers incoming transfer fees, we’d have quite the transfer kitty and a huge saving on wages. Not to mention what we’d do with Hoedt, Carillo, Cedric, Reed etc. It will be an exciting end to the transfer window.

Don't hold your breath sunshine.

I like Lemina I think there is a good player in there but he was poor last season (acknowledging that he had injury problems) to the point where I'd be surprised the likes of Man U where even vaguely intrested.

If they are I might suggest we have a number of saints players available who played to a similar level last season they can have [emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yes but sadly still no interest or bids for Ward Prowse

Really!, he looked great when he first arrived but went off the boil and has stayed there. I certainly have never seen anything to suggest he could single handedly dominate a match. Agree he has ability but he has fallen well short of his potential, best to ofload whilst there is interest.

Really!, he looked great when he first arrived but went off the boil and has stayed there. I certainly have never seen anything to suggest he could single handedly dominate a match. Agree he has ability but he has fallen well short of his potential, best to ofload whilst there is interest.

Funny enough he made a monkey outta Pogba when united came to st marys

According to tonight’s Standard Arsenal and Leicester are interested as well as ManU, with a figure of £18m quoted. If all of those really are interested, 18m seems a tad light for a 25 year old......
Leicester and Arsenal could get Lemina for nothing if they offered in return Choudhury or Maitland-Niles respectively.

Kills two birds with one stone: offloads a high earner who doesn't want to be here, and upgrades on Romeu.

I'm sure it's not likely, but their first team chances at their current clubs will be lessened with the arrival of Super (in his head) Mario.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Leicester and Arsenal could get Lemina for nothing if they offered in return Choudhury or Maitland-Niles respectively.

Kills two birds with one stone: offloads a high earner who doesn't want to be here, and upgrades on Romeu.

I'm sure it's not likely, but their first team chances at their current clubs will be lessened with the arrival of Super (in his head) Mario.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Trouble with doing deals like that (not that they ever happen anyway) is that you get a player who isn't motivated and looks at Southampton as a step down (or at least sideways). Much like Lemina would have when he arrived from Juventus.....

We really do get bitter when a player wants out.

Why do we do this with so many departing players? Even poor Fonte couldn't escape the bitterness.

Lemina is quality. If he wants to play for a bigger club then fair play. If he stays - brilliant.

Either way all the nonsense and non substantial BS posted about him is just pure bitterness and makes us look a proper muggy bunch

Why do we do this with so many departing players? Even poor Fonte couldn't escape the bitterness.

Lemina is quality. If he wants to play for a bigger club then fair play. If he stays - brilliant.

Either way all the nonsense and non substantial BS posted about him is just pure bitterness and makes us look a proper muggy bunch

Trying to, but cannot disagree with the above.

This

Ok, apart from Palace and WBA away under the nervous wreck, and cameos v Man U and Newcastle last season, how many times have you seen genuine ‘quality’ performances from Lemina? Not a lot for 50-odd appearances is it? Also one of the highest earners.

We’ve also seen some dreadful displays such as W Ham away. Granted, he joined a mess with the nervous wreck and the past it 80s star, but RH has sound judgement, no mug at all, and reckons we can do better. Most of the fans would agree with RH.

The guy does have flashes of quality as evidenced by being at Juventus but then so did Augustin Delgado. His track record of stringing long spells of playing together is not good. Man U can afford a one game in and three games out type with a nice trick, we can’t, we need players with pace and energy who can sustain 30+ games a season.

If Lemina goes there, and the only quibble is the lower fee, and can be bothered, it is unlikely the player would have put that level of focus in here. Personally I think RH may have a CM target he wants and any shortfall on the fee might be compensated for a few times over if RH gets a hungry replacement who does well. Plus their wages will be lower so adding that into the equation. Anyone that plays frankly is an improvement. Any chance to bin off a post 2016 Les Reed signing without losing money is well worth taking anyway.

You obviously didn't watch Crystal Palace away or West Brom away then because that's exactly what he did in those matches.

When a player is capable of that level I am always disappointed to see them move on, knowing that they will probably produce it more often somewhere else (like Mane did, even though he was good more often than Lemina has been).

That being said, if we get a decent fee (i.e. not £15m, he is much better than Targett...), have identified a quality centre back and a decent CM (i.e. good enough to be in rotation or back up) to spend the money on, Hasenhuttl doesn't see Lemina in his plans and Lemina doesn't want to be here, then it makes sense to sell him.

If he wants to go so be it. But why on earth are Southampton happy to just recoup the £15m outlay from 2 years a go? What about his £m in wages? And why sell so cheap when Tyrone Mings is £25-30m

Ming’s was worth 25m to villa because he did so well for them. Nobody else was going to pay near that.

Same way saints got stitched up for saganowski back in the day

There’s a good article on foo5ball365 about exactly this.

You obviously didn't watch Crystal Palace away or West Brom away then because that's exactly what he did in those matches.

When a player is capable of that level I am always disappointed to see them move on, knowing that they will probably produce it more often somewhere else (like Mane did, even though he was good more often than Lemina has been).

That being said, if we get a decent fee (i.e. not £15m, he is much better than Targett...), have identified a quality centre back and a decent CM (i.e. good enough to be in rotation or back up) to spend the money on, Hasenhuttl doesn't see Lemina in his plans and Lemina doesn't want to be here, then it makes sense to sell him.

Palace AND West Brom? Those are some credentials. Let’s face it, he’s done zilch in RH’s tenure to date and it appears he’s happy for him to depart.

its strange. He has done very little at saints but clearly has the tools to do it at the top.

Wont be missed, but will be at the same time.

If we get £25m+, can't complain really

He’s obviously a really good player. The truth is he’s only really shown it on a few occasions for saints. You look at his history and he’s only played more than 25 games twice in a season one of those was for us. He’s 26 in a few weeks some coming into his prime. He could go on to a bigger club like arsenal or united and be a real success and all the helmets on here will be bemoaning our lack of ambition for not keeping him or equally he could carry on like the last 6 years of his career where he plays 50% of matches a season and plays at the top of his ability in 5% of those. Either way he isn’t what we need and we aren’t what he needs, good luck to him at his next club, I hope he fulfills his undoubted ability but I have a feeling he won’t.

Sad he never worked out here.

Has the ability but also thinks he is a fashion designer and influencer and not a footballer.

It’s probably the worst thing about modern football.

Clowns like Pogba, Neymar etc that have one great game against a bunch of clowns and think they are Kim Kardashian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s obviously a really good player. The truth is he’s only really shown it on a few occasions for saints. You look at his history and he’s only played more than 25 games twice in a season one of those was for us. He’s 26 in a few weeks some coming into his prime. He could go on to a bigger club like arsenal or united and be a real success and all the helmets on here will be bemoaning our lack of ambition for not keeping him or equally he could carry on like the last 6 years of his career where he plays 50% of matches a season and plays at the top of his ability in 5% of those. Either way he isn’t what we need and we aren’t what he needs, good luck to him at his next club, I hope he fulfills his undoubted ability but I have a feeling he won’t.

agree. but deffo worth 20-25 mill (and i've suspected he's wanted out for over a year, as many of you know...)

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice