Southampton vs. Bournemouth build up

Pass the Dutchie

Number 10 (Saints) against number 11 (Bournemouth).

On December 18 it was a well-deserved 1-3 for us at Dean Court, with goals from Aké, Bertrand, and Rodriguez (2x), in that order.

Results from the past 10 years:

02 Oct 2010 Southampton v AFC Bournemouth W 2-0 League One

01 Nov 2015 Southampton v AFC Bournemouth W 2-0 Premier League

afc-bournemouth-v-southampton-premier-league-630194544-5856da797677b.jpg

We didn’t have Gabbiadini when we won against them before, so even if he isn’t fit we should be able to give it a good go. Time for Rodriguez to shine again?

Why? We beat them at Dean Court quite easily without him under Claude Puel.

some things have changed slightly though, but we should really win this tie tbh given that we are at home.

the two ways in my opinion we are for worse would be no vvd and in addition, id like to add the idea that jay rod has lost more confidence due to gabbiadini's introduction as he has gone further down the pecking order.

They play some good stuff and will be well up for this. We need to get back to winning ways, but the striker situation is a worry again now. Can Jay step up to the mark and get us the points again? Should be a good footballing game though - got a lot of respect for the way they play.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Barry or no Barry hope Puel plays the attacking style weve seen in 2017 rather than revert to the sideways and defensive stuff we saw in 2016.

AFCB score goals, in fact i think they are top scorers outside the top 7 (level with Man United) Thats a worry and given our 2 CBs have looked suspect in the last couple, maybe time for Cáceres even if he is on a PAYP deal.

Still cant beleive we are level with AFCB - have they done well this season or have we just been a bit up/down?

If they play like they did Sat we will beat them. They lined up 4-4-2 & were outnumbered in midfield particularly first half. Swansea were shiete and couldn't take advantage , but it'll play right into our hands. Davo will be freed up a bit more & he's really good at rotating the ball when we're dominating the middle of the park. The only issue maybe putting the ball in the net and my only worry is we'll see an early season type performance, play well but don't finish. To be fair to Long , since the new year his record in front of goal isn't too bad. He must play rather than JRod , who hasn't done a thing since the game at their place so doesn't deserve a start. Would like to see Simms feature as well, off the bench if Tadic is mincing around again . Can't be any worse than Boufal was sun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be interesting to see if Austin makes a return to the squad. He was in training last week so we could possibly see him on the bench maybe.

I'd expect the team to be....

Forster

Cedric - Stephens - Yoshida - Bertrand

Romeu - Davis

WardProwse - Redmond - Tadic

Long

Basically unchanged again apart from Long in for Gabbiadini. Although as this is the first of three games in eight days we may start to get a bit of rotation back again. So possibly a start for Caceres in this one

Would be interesting to see if Austin makes a return to the squad. He was in training last week so we could possibly see him on the bench maybe.

I'd expect the team to be....

Forster

Cedric - Stephens - Yoshida - Bertrand

Romeu - Davis

WardProwse - Redmond - Tadic

Long

Basically unchanged again apart from Long in for Gabbiadini. Although as this is the first of three games in eight days we may start to get a bit of rotation back again. So possibly a start for Caceres in this one

Is Gabby definitely out? I understand it's a groin strain so could be back by then.

I read 3-4 weeks. Hopefully that's just paper talk and wrong

That is just paper talk, based on no evidence, fake news. Indications from the Club are that it could be very minor and could be back but that they will know better after scans this week. In other words nobody knows yet.

It is a Derby but not to some arrogant supporters

Shall we put this to bed.

For anyone born in Southampton it's not and never will be a derby, for us Sotonians there's only one and most like or at worst are indifferent to Bournemouth, in fact i'd hazard a guess they sit in the top three most liked clubs in the premier league for most of our support.

To those in the Forest or Bournemouth based, there's a bit more rivalry with some thinking it is a derby but these people are in a very small minority of the general support.

For Bournemouth fans they younger generation think of it as a derby as they don't have one and have been brought up by sky to think they should, to the older generation most are indifferent and hate Leeds more, some are bitter about how some of our fans apparently acted in the 70's (i'm too young to say on that).

To the press it's a derby game because it sells TV and papers.

To most football fans it's not a derby because Saints/Pompey is so all encompassing.

There's no arrogance involved in it, it's just a general fact of how things are.

For anyone born in Southampton it's not and never will be a derby, for us Sotonians there's only one and most like or at worst are indifferent to Bournemouth, in fact i'd hazard a guess they sit in the top three most liked clubs in the premier league for most of our support.

To those in the Forest or Bournemouth based, there's a bit more rivalry with some thinking it is a derby but these people are in a very small minority of the general support.

For Bournemouth fans they younger generation think of it as a derby as they don't have one and have been brought up by sky to think they should, to the older generation most are indifferent and hate Leeds more, some are bitter about how some of our fans apparently acted in the 70's (i'm too young to say on that).

To the press it's a derby game because it sells TV and papers.

To most football fans it's not a derby because Saints/Pompey is so all encompassing.

There's no arrogance involved in it, it's just a general fact of how things are.

I could see this changing though if the current status quo continues. The longer Pompey are slumming it in the lower leagues the more and more irrelevant they become as a rival if Bournemouth (and saints) manage to make themselves into a constant features in the PL and we play each other more often the rivalry will grow especially among the younger fans....despite what people say recent saints v Bournemouth matches have an element of needle you don't get with West brom, Swansea or Crystal Palace.

I could see this changing though if the current status quo continues. The longer Pompey are slumming it in the lower leagues the more and more irrelevant they become as a rival if Bournemouth (and saints) manage to make themselves into a constant features in the PL and we play each other more often the rivalry will grow especially among the younger fans....despite what people say recent saints v Bournemouth matches have an element of needle you don't get with West brom, Swansea or Crystal Palace.

I have a different take on it personally. I think the needle actually comes from the fact it's really infuriating arguing with Cherries fans about it. It's kind of like arguing with an idiot, they're always going to win because they just repeat what they've said again and again without listening until you eventually lose your rag.

To be honest i really don't feel that it's that different to a lot of games we play who i'd never count as a derby, and in fact i'd say Liverpool, Spurs, United and to a lesser extent West Ham all have far more needle in this division.

I guess the reason for me is that Saints/Pompey isn't about the football as much as the cities, growing up there you're reminded constantly at every point what they are to us, and every school or amateur match against them in any sport has a nasty edge.

Bournemouth on the other hand isn't in the same county anymore, the divide of the New Forest makes it feel like a completely different world, the beaches are nice and there's some decent pubs and there's really very similarity between the two cities. So to most is seen as a day out in the summer more than anything else.

Whether you were born in Southampton or not it is a derby. A derby is "a sports event between teams in the same area". In this case the area is the County of Southampton or Hampshire (the ceremonial county not the political redraw of 1974) [if some of our younger readers are not aware Boscombe was in the County of Southampton until 1891 and then Hampshire until 1974]. The area can also be considered the South Coast (personally I have an issue whether Southampton is actually on the South Coast but it seems by definition it is), or the New Forest. Why people seem to have a problem with this is beyond me. It is just as much a derby as with the Skates. You could argue that it is not a local derby, but then if so the Skates would not be a local derby either, whereas Eastleigh or Totton probably would be.

It is arguable whether it is a rivalry, but it is not arguable whether it is a derby. I don't consider it much of a rivalry at present, but it could become one, especially as the other lot become less and less relevant. I like having a localish team in the same division as us, as long as we continue to be above them.

WE CAN'T LOSE THE SOUTH COAST DERBY FFS.

This is true, Portsmouth literally haven't even qualified for a competition to play us since they dragged themselves to the third round of the FA Cup in January 2016, and before that it was the last time we played in the second round of the League Cup in 2014.

This is true, Portsmouth literally haven't even qualified for a competition to play us since they dragged themselves to the third round of the FA Cup in January 2016, and before that it was the last time we played in the second round of the League Cup in 2014.

I like you as a poster so I'm going to assume you're not taking me seriously there :lol:

That is just paper talk, based on no evidence, fake news. Indications from the Club are that it could be very minor and could be back but that they will know better after scans this week. In other words nobody knows yet.

Groins are a right sod though, really difficult to rest and therefore heal, easy to re-injure and can be really painful too. The one I did left me unable to get in or out of a car, it was bloody agony when it hurt but I couldn't feel anything most of the time.

According to a simple google search..........Games between two rivals of close geographical proximity are usually called a local derby, or simply just derby ( UK: /ˈdɑːrbi/; DAR-bee or. US: /ˈdɜːrbi/; DER-bee); a sporting fixture between two teams from the same town, city or region, particularly in association football.