Saints vs Liverpool - Build Up

Lighthouse

Would it be too drastic to change to something like this? I want to go back to a back four, as right now it just seems to be three CBs all staring at each other.

Gunn

Valery - Bednarek - Yoshi - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu - Hojbjerg

Adams - Ings - Redmond

Would it be too drastic to change to something like this? I want to go back to a back four, as right now it just seems to be three CBs all staring at each other.

Gunn

Valery - Bednarek - Yoshi - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu - Hojbjerg

Adams - Ings - Redmond

That's what's I would do. Vestergard is too slow, Stephens utter sh1te, so don't play either. I'd rather sit 3 in front of a back 4 which has to include Yoshida.

I'd just throw Danso straight in, get Vestergard and Stephens out of that squad. Poor players, wouldn't be able to handle their pace.

We're up against it even before the first whistle. We're limited and this is going to be a case of damage limitation, keep the score low and keep our GD respectable. No other outcome feasible really.

Go defensive with this one and protect that awful defence

That's basically just sitting very deep and waiting for the inevitable howler from one of the back three to gift them a goal. They will just play it around for fun in front of our penalty box and wait for the gap. We need to win it in the middle and not give them time to pick a decent pass through, that's the best defence IMO.

Long trip to Turkey midweek should mean they’ll be tired. So they will ease up on us on 60 mins with the game already won.

Although contrary to any rational reasoning still live in hope that we may, just may, click and do them.

I'd be surprised if LFC don't score at least 2, anything more than a defeat is a dream given what they achieved last season and the enormous gulf in class. The days when we could upset a big club at home (I mean the Dell) are a distant memory. The team clearly aren't up to speed yet to play a pressing game which may disrupt their flow, and with BHA and UTD to follow moral could fall off quite rapidly if we end up with nothing from 4 games.

Our error prone defense needs addressing ASAP, else it's gonna be another long depressing season.

I fully expect us to be on nil poi after two games.

In some ways its better to get the hard matches out of the way early. Think its probably better to keep Ings on the bench for this one and play our fastest possible front three.

Not seen enough of Danso to work out if its worth starting him in this one. Might shatter his confidence if we get completely thumped on his debut and he might turn into another shell shocked defensive casualty. Might be better to keep him on the bench.

I'd probably go:

----------------------Gunn---------------------

-------Bednarek-----Yoshida--Vestergaard-------

Valery--------Romeu------Hojbjerg------Bertrand

------Redmond--------------------Djenepo------

---------------------Adams---------------------

Bench: McCarthy, Danso, Cedric, JWP, Boufal, Ings, Obafemi

I fully expect us to be on nil poi after two games.

In some ways its better to get the hard matches out of the way early. Think its probably better to keep Ings on the bench for this one and play our fastest possible front three.

Not seen enough of Danso to work out if its worth starting him in this one. Might shatter his confidence if we get completely thumped on his debut and he might turn into another shell shocked defensive casualty. Might be better to keep him on the bench.

I'd probably go:

----------------------Gunn---------------------

-------Bednarek-----Yoshida--Vestergaard-------

------Redmond--------------------Djenepo------

---------------------Adams---------------------

Bench: McCarthy, Danso, Cedric, JWP, Boufal, Ings, Obafemi

Yep, exactly this, though might chuck Long on the bench

Not really looking forward to this one. It’ll be a case of how long can we keep them off the scoresheet (probably about 90 seconds)

After that, how many goals will Liverpool get. I reckon they’ll try for as many as possible. (Thinking 7). Then it’ll be just watching to see if we can somehow score (don’t think we will).

Can’t do any worse than Norwich. Maybe.

Norwich actually gave them quite a bit of trouble, more than deserved their goal and should have scored more.

But their defending was terrible, easy clearance under no pressure sliced into the goal, some midget marks Van Dijk at a corner, free header from a cross and probably only Salah's goal was not from bad defending.

------------------------Gunn------------------------

-------Bednarek-----Yoshida---Vestergaard------

--------------------Redmond-----------------------

--------------Long------------Adams---------------

McCarthy

Stephens

Cedric

JWP

Djenepo

Boufal

Obafemi

Maybe stick Ings in there somewhere but I think Long would be a better bet at getting a goal on a counterattack (and when Long gets tired sub Obafemi on).

Doubt Danso will be integrated enough for this game.

FWIW:

———————————Gunn————————————

——Valery——Bednarek——Yoshida——Bertrand——

——————Romeu—————Hojbjerg———————

————JWP—————Boufal———Redmond————

———————————Adams———————————

Result: 1-2 heroic defeat (Shane Long last minute equaliser followed by Liverpool getting a lucky winner in injury time)

Easy win for Liverpool sadly. No way our defence is keeping them out when they need to score. They will get two or three up and then manage the game. This ones a write off so might as well have a good look at Danso and Boufal from the start.

I agree, not looking forward to it, losing to a club i hate, St Marys will have plenty of day trippers there to see the European champions, £50 behind the goal, £65 on the side , crazy prices , we'll probably score early and have it ruled out by VAR