Tyreke Johnson

Bewildered

think tyreke along with obafemi look our best youngsters at the moment. some great end product on a couple of curved balls in especially the ball he played that was perfect for long.. he did more attacking wise in 45 mins then Valery has in all his games put together..

I actually think he maybe even better if used in the Redmond or Armstrong positions as back up to those two.we are short for back up in these positions so why not?

Isn't that because Valery is a defender whereas Johnson is naturally a winger?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Highlights the danger of overhyping Academy players with little evidence beyond the tepid U23 league of how good they really are.

Other recent examples: Seager, Olomola, Jones and to a lesser extent, Hesketh.

Its bloody difficult for a player to break into a PL first team. For every JWP or Shaw there are thousands of Ryan Doble's and Richard Bakary's.

Will be interesting to see whether the likes of Vokins, Slattery and Smallbone make the grade...but absolutely no guarentee they will.

Maybe this represents something of a change in approach to loaning out players? Loaning them out to Championship or League 1 teams hasn't always worked. So many of our players have ended up sitting on the bench and getting less experience instead of more. At least loaning them out at that level has a better chance if gaining them a regular starting spot which may then lead to interest at a higher level with the hope of quickly becoming a starter at that level too.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Was very raw but thought he put in a few nice balls against Derby.

Did he play left wing-back that night?

With Vokins stepping up, we don't have a huge number of left-backs for the U23's that I can think of off the top of my head.

Kameron Ledwidge is the only one I can think of.

Stumped by this move. He has always looked the part unlike Obefami yet it's the latter who has caught Ralph's eye.

Guess it's hard to know what to do with some promising young players as even younger ones push up into the U23s. We don't want to block pathways but there are only so many kids that can be in the first team squad.

Did he play left wing-back that night?

With Vokins stepping up, we don't have a huge number of left-backs for the U23's that I can think of off the top of my head.

Kameron Ledwidge is the only one I can think of.

Think so yes.

It's lower than he'll end up but it'll do him good playing at that level for 6 months. I'd be interested to see where they play him - perhaps he's gone to get game time at full back or wing back.

It's lower than he'll end up but it'll do him good playing at that level for 6 months. I'd be interested to see where they play him - perhaps he's gone to get game time at full back or wing back.

Says he’s a winger in the rather awkward club interview.

Says he’s a winger in the rather awkward club interview.

That's his natural position but it looked at times last year that we were trying to convert him. The move makes more sense if he was going there to get game time in a different role, otherwise it looks like an acceptance that this is his level and he's putting himself in the shop window. From what I've seen he's a bit above the conference.

Stumped by this move. He has always looked the part unlike Obefami yet it's the latter who has caught Ralph's eye.

Guess it's hard to know what to do with some promising young players as even younger ones push up into the U23s. We don't want to block pathways but there are only so many kids that can be in the first team squad.

In the fans evening event, RH mentioned just because a youth player had played for the first team once or twice did not mean they had made it. They had to have the right attitude that got them there and needed to maintain it, and some where not doing it and would have to start again (paraphrasing). I think TJ is one he was referring to, among others. Think you can slacken off as you have played in the first team? Think again and prove you can keep improving. BTW, no suggestion of billy big boots, just that the intense effort RH demands dropped a tad.

He made comments about Obefami not looking after himself, and maybe the lad took it on board and responded as RH wanted, so he stays and TJ is taught a valuable lesson?

Johnson looked very average yet Obafemi looked decent. If Obafemi can stay fit he will be very good. There is a reason why johnson is going to Woking.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

As others have said, Obafemi looks to have taken on board Ralph's comments and looks in good shape judging by Saturday.

I'm surprised TJ has gone this low down on loan, but it'll give him game time every week and will probably toughen the kid up a bit as he'll get kicked a lot.

He was part of the U23's who lost in the Hampshire Cup at Basingstoke towards the end of last season and, although he scored, he spent the whole night looking like he wanted to be somewhere else.

There's a Woking fan in the office so i'll try and get some updates from him as to how he's getting on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...