Saints introduced football to Brazil

CB Saint

It is pretty well-known, there are statues of him around Brazil and pretty much every Brazillian knows who Carlos Miller is. Southampton, for a long time were invited down to Brazil for a founders tourny.

Like it's said above, how didn't you know?

I am feeling a bit silly now :(. There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.

I am feeling a bit silly now :(. There must be someone else on here that didn't know. Please tell I m not the only one.

Oh dear. Perhaps the :mcinnes: needs to be replaced with just your user name.

FFS many of the #globalsfc lads on tour in Brazil have taken books/souvenirs etc. I suppose you haven't bothered to follow any of them either? You know the guys actually recording the tour as Saints fans?

I'll give you a hug CB Saint. Feel a bit bad you are getting so much stick. I do know the Charles Miller story so can't help you on that front but pretty sure my Dad - a lifelong Saints fan - wouldn't know it either. He is chronically forgetful, mind.

I read a story on this once, which stated that Miller went to Brasil and after a time wrote home to his wife and asked her to join him, and to "Bring a football and the children." I was very pleased to see that he had his priorities right!

Myth. He returned to Brazil in 1894 and married in 1906 (in Brazil)

By the way when did Brazil suddenly become Brasil? I know it is Brasil in Portuguese but in English it has always been Brazil. Are we suddenly going to start calling Germany Deutschland or Spain Espana?

By the way when did Brazil suddenly become Brasil? I know it is Brasil in Portuguese but in English it has always been Brazil?

Remember being mocked by my PE teacher in the early 80's for having a training top spelt Brasil. Allowing him to indulge in his stupidity wasn't the best course of action - Detention for arrogance

Myth. He returned to Brazil in 1894 and married in 1906 (in Brazil)

By the way when did Brazil suddenly become Brasil? I know it is Brasil in Portuguese but in English it has always been Brazil. Are we suddenly going to start calling Germany Deutschland or Spain Espana?

Right you are. I'm getting my names mixed up. Was thinking of this article (which to save me a little bit of credibility here does mention Miller!) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24537173 and the quote was about Thomas Donohoe : "So Donohoe wrote to his wife, Elizabeth, asking her to join him, and to bring a football, as well as their children."

And as far as the spelling goes, I'm not sure there's too much in it really. Many words can be and are spelt differently at times, or colloquially - but as long as the reader can see that Brazil and Brasil are the same place there is no mass confusion at the substitution of one letter, then I'm not sure what the bother is!

Screen+Shot+2013-10-16+at+23.49.03.png

Oh dear. Perhaps the :mcinnes: needs to be replaced with just your user name.

FFS many of the #globalsfc lads on tour in Brazil have taken books/souvenirs etc. I suppose you haven't bothered to follow any of them either? You know the guys actually recording the tour as Saints fans?

If that's the right hashtag then no one is following them.

That hashtag is for people who want to follow "Globalsfc - Proud DoD contractor in Somerset, PA. UNREP, Accumulators and Navy Valves."

HTH.

If that's the right hashtag then no one is following them.

That hashtag is for people who want to follow "Globalsfc - Proud DoD contractor in Somerset, PA. UNREP, Accumulators and Navy Valves."

HTH.

Think you have confused # with @ there my man.

It is pretty well-known, there are statues of him around Brazil and pretty much every Brazillian knows who Carlos Miller is. Southampton, for a long time were invited down to Brazil for a founders tourny.

Like it's said above, how didn't you know?

Was in Brazil having a chat with some Fluminense fans asked me "what have Southampton done for football" in a sarcastic way. I told them about Charles Miller and they had never heard of him. I may as well have said James Milner for all they cared.

Was in Brazil having a chat with some Fluminense fans asked me "what have Southampton done for football" in a sarcastic way. I told them about Charles Miller and they had never heard of him. I may as well have said James Milner for all they cared.

To be fair most of our fans still aren't able to say or spell our last managers name. Not sure this chat constitutes a cross section of the populace Tokyo and I say this because you're spoiling my fantasy that all Brazilians believe they owe Southampton Fc for all their success and rightly so.

Odd because I once spent Brazillian Independence day in New York with tons of Brazillian soccer fans and they all knew who Charles (Carlos) Miller was...there is a statue of him outside the corinthians stadium.

I was in Argentina for Christmas in 2002 at my friends wives (she was beautiful) house. About 20.people around the table for the Xmas eve meal and as always in South America the onversation turned to football. The dad asked me who I supported and so I proudly declared Southampton, 'who' he said and I repeated it and they all looked at each other saying 'Suehamton' and shaking his head. I was so disappointed.

I was in Argentina for Christmas in 2002 at my friends wives (she was beautiful) house. About 20.people around the table for the Xmas eve meal and as always in South America the onversation turned to football. The dad asked me who I supported and so I proudly declared Southampton, 'who' he said and I repeated it and they all looked at each other saying 'Suehamton' and shaking his head. I was so disappointed.

Should have mentioned the first ruler of Argentina buried in the old cemetery on the Suehampton common ;p

I think the mods should do a poll just for South Americans to say if they know they know him or not. Let's face it, a number of our fans have never heard of him. To be fair, the main Fluminense fan looked like Turks if he had loads of Darth Maul tattoos allover his head. I don't think he was much of a historian despite his question.

I think the mods should do a poll just for South Americans to say if they know they know him or not. Let's face it, a number of our fans have never heard of him. To be fair, the main Fluminense fan looked like Turks if he had loads of Darth Maul tattoos allover his head. I don't think he was much of a historian despite his question.

Having said what I have, I have been to Casa Brasil on the high street and the Brazilian manager (although, the cavat being that most of the staff are from Portugal) had never heard of him even though he's from down the road...although I would suggest if they reply "I haven't the foggiest" perhaps direct them to that ever-so-reliable (lol) source, wikipedia, they've got it all there.

Only according to the curator of the Scottish football museum. Generally accepted in Brazil that Miller was responsible for introducing the game.

Agreed that might be the general thought, but not in Bangu, Rio, he isn't that's for sure. They have erected a statue of Donahoe there. As I understand it Donahoe brought the ball to Rio and 8 months later Miller brought the rule book to São Paulo.

That story was also in the program of Saints vs Exeter a few years ago.

When I was working* I met several people of different ages from Brazil and they

all knew who Mr Miller was.

*I have now been retired for a year and never ever want to go to work again :D

If I could "favourite" a post :D.......

But what a game though, the founder's club vs the first team to play in Brazil.

Having worked out there late last year, working with a Brazilian company, they all knew about Charles miller,but only a few knew of Southampton, and those who did knew about MLT. Watched some of the football being played on the beaches, they were better on the uneven sand than some of the player I've seen on a nice flat pitch

In your defence, I was kind of aware of it, but not in great detail. The previously posted link:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/documents/sfc-v-exeter-p37-46148-1632761.pdf

gives a lot of detail and also highlights the role of George Reader Saint who I'd never heard of.

Also, it is no shame to display ignorance, it is a brave act, in this way you enlighten other people who are not so brave.

• 5 months later...

For those interested - our Brazilian supporter group just hit 8,000: Southampton FC Brasil There's quite a lot of knowledge and love for the Saints on there. I'm in the process of trying to set up their first ever live events for the Villa game in both Rio and São Paulo - definitely keeping my iTranslate App busy! I think South America, and Brasil specifically, is an area Saints should certainly focus on. We have a unique connection between club and country and it's one area that Liverpool are yet to really expand their global tentacles to: LFC Official Supporter Groups.

One of my absolute highlights of the last 5 months of travelling the world was setting up a Southampton day at an academy in Brasil (Cuiaba) and handing out all sorts of Saints gear that I'd taken over from Oz. The kids absolutely loved it and from my contact with the coaches since, it appears they're pretty much all Southampton fans now and still talk about 'that Saints day'. Who knows, I might have even inspired the next GDP..After the penalty comp I was also able, with the help of a translator, to relay the story of Charles Miller to 25 of the Under-14 lads. They loved the story and I spent the next 10 minutes trying to answer various questions about the Saints and Charles Miller.

Some pictures and my report (in Portuguese) from the day: Saints day in Cuiaba