The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

It isn't publicly traded...

quiet right, i meant limited and that the accounts are publicly available.

My point was really to say it's all very well saying we've made £46million in transfer profit over the 5 years but you cant look at that in isolation, if we made a 46 million loss in the 5 years before that then transfer profit over 10 years is £0.

single figures/stats in isolation dont tell the full story. Over the last 4 games we'd be 5th in the table based on results, that doesnt mean we can discount what went before it!

I think it's been evident for a while now that both the current and previous owners are not the type to pump millions into the club, Everton, Fulham-style. I think that's been the case since Poch/Cortese left.
I think the club have been pretty upfront about it but people still seem surprised.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Leeds' Jack Clarke interesting Tottenham and Southampton among host of Premier League clubs

Tottenham and Southampton are among multiple Premier League clubs monitoring exciting Leeds winger Jack Clarke, Sky Sports News understands.

Clarke, who is only 18, has been one of the stand-out young performers in the Sky Bet Championship this season, impressing a host of scouts with the maturity of his performances.

The talented forward only made his Leeds debut off the bench in October, scoring his first senior goal for the Whites in their 3-2 win over Aston Villa just before Christmas.

Clarke also scored against Nottingham Forest on New Year's Day before making his first Leeds starts, against QPR in the FA Cup and then Derby in the Championship, earlier this month.

Sky Sports News has been told, despite the level of interest in Clarke, Leeds have received no firm offers for him and are adamant he is not for sale.

Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa is understood to be determined to keep all of his key players this month as they look to return to the Premier League for the first time since they were relegated at the end of 2003-04.

Bielsa's side sit top of the table on 54 points from 28 games, a single point ahead of Norwich City and four points above third-placed West Brom.

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11615269/leeds-jack-clarke-interesting-tottenham-and-southampton-among-host-of-premier-league-clubs

Leeds' Jack Clarke interesting Tottenham and Southampton among host of Premier League clubs

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11615269/leeds-jack-clarke-interesting-tottenham-and-southampton-among-host-of-premier-league-clubs

Not sure why this is a story to be honest... Leeds are never going to sell him now and quite rightly so. If (which looks likely) they get promoted, his value will skyrocket anyway, plus if you were him why would you want to leave now.

Smacks of filling column inches, in a period where there is little to no transfer activity going on.

Not sure why this is a story to be honest... Leeds are never going to sell him now and quite rightly so. If (which looks likely) they get promoted, his value will skyrocket anyway, plus if you were him why would you want to leave now.

Smacks of filling column inches, in a period where there is little to no transfer activity going on.

The story doesn't say Leeds will sell. In fact, it says the opposite.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer it when businesses are profitable and financially secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree but according to RK we have over 400 people in the building now and they all have to be paid and lots of them are fiercely ambitious and looking all the time for wage increases. Why on earth we need 400 people to run a modest sized football club is beyond me.

Sounds like the classic empire building that goes on in all organisations that do not have sufficient external over-sight into what is going on. Very Civil Service like, free money (i.e. Taxpayers or Sky/BT) always seems to bring with it corporate irresponsibility until reigned in by external factors. Bet we could be run well enough with half that number.

Wonder what our Corporate Governance performance is like, assuming we have a CG Policy in the first place. There is some evidence of money being needlessly squandered by this e costly and ridiculous pre-match high shows that serve no purpose whatsoever after the first time other than damage the environment and keep a few front row folk warm on a nippy day!

Why on earth we need 400 people to run a modest sized football club is beyond me.

Not sure where this 400 figure comes from, but total number of employees of the club would include casual and part time match day staff. Those workers certainly will not be earning £25k a year, mentioned earlier on this thread.

I suspect the non playing parts of the club are run very efficiently indeed.

Not sure where this 400 figure comes from, but total number of employees of the club would include casual and part time match day staff. Those workers certainly will not be earning £25k a year, mentioned earlier on this thread.

I suspect the non playing parts of the club are run very efficiently indeed.

If anything, I expect the non-footballing operations at the club are relatively undersized for a business of such a size and profile.

It's such an odd business model because the majority of turnover is contingent on being in the Premier League. There aren't many other businesses where the amount of "customers" can remain pretty constant but where your turnover can suddenly be cut in two.

If anything, I expect the non-footballing operations at the club are relatively undersized for a business of such a size and profile.

It's such an odd business model because the majority of turnover is contingent on being in the Premier League. There aren't many other businesses where the amount of "customers" can remain pretty constant but where your turnover can suddenly be cut in two.

Well as we have discovered with the whole sorry Pompey saga over recent years, football clubs are pretty much exempt from the normal rules of business.

People who watch on TV are essentially customers and that is where the money comes from, they just aren't specific customers of Southampton FC, they are customers of PL football.

Everytime I've seen him play for Argentina he's been awful! Don't really follow Italian football so can't comment how good he's been over there.

Argentina players go through some kind of vortex & become rubbish for their country.

31 goals in 75 games isn't too shabby though.

Pretty decent. He is good striker. For some reason Argentina are not a team, just a collection of good players and 1 incredible one.

I almost think they'd be better if they were like Portugal, with just Ronaldo and 10 Cedrics, playing as a team.

Also, any excuse to post this again.

He's not a bad player, but not sure whether he's still good enough, strong enough and fit enough to be a hit for Chelsea. Only time will tell, but wouldn't be a surprise to me if he's a bit of a flop. Sounds like Milan getting Piatek to replace him for £30m, not sure why Chelsea didn't just buy him.

Everytime I've seen him play for Argentina he's been awful! Don't really follow Italian football so can't comment how good he's been over there.

He's pretty much been a 1 in 2 man wherever he's been at the highest level, maybe a little on the wane physically but I reckon he'll score goals.

Chelsea have a lot of the ball and a lot of play round the box, plus top quality attacking wide players in Hazard/Willian/Pedro but they just don't get enough people and movement in the box which is what Higuain is all about, he's a proper finisher, both feet and in the air and makes good runs.

Would love Clyne and Wanyama back if at all possible. Crazy they'd be available given they have the talent and plenty of years left. both would be major improvements on what we have in those positions.

Would take Lallana too even if some fans didn't like it.

One that many would think is ridiculous, but Janssen at Spurs needs a move. Would be at a reduced price but like Ings think a clean start would do him good. Seen him be decent at times and he just had a rough start at Spurs he never recovered from. There is a goalscorer in there, and he's the high energy hard working striker who'd suit this system. Still young and would want to prove himself.

I agree Janssen would suit Ralph's system very well. He's got pace, energy and can score (apart from in a Spurs shirt). He's only 24. Dutch papers are reporting Burnley are after him for 15 mln which is not bad for a striker.

It's not worked for him at Spurs but I'd try him on loan. Not sure if that's feasible with Kane's injury.

Poch has openly said he’s not in his, or indeed the clubs, plans. Probably similar wages to Austin so if we can ship him out wouldn’t mind Vincent until the end of the season at least.

I agree Janssen would suit Ralph's system very well. He's got pace, energy and can score (apart from in a Spurs shirt). He's only 24. Dutch papers are reporting Burnley are after him for 15 mln which is not bad for a striker.

Surely Mopo n Ralph's styles are similar? So if Mopo can't use him, doubt Ralph could?

No actual rumours then?

- Marcus Bettinelli

- Omar Elabdellaoui

- Joakim Maehle

- Gary Cahill

- Martin Skrtel

- Chris Mepham

- Willi Orban

- Joe Aribo

- Thiago Mendes

- Shoya Nakajima

- Patrick Herrmann

- Ademola Lookman

- Ollie Watkins

- Jack Clarke

- Rabbi Matondo

- Mbaye Diagne

- Odion Ighalo

- Jean-Kévin Augustin

Poch has openly said he’s not in his, or indeed the clubs, plans. Probably similar wages to Austin so if we can ship him out wouldn’t mind Vincent until the end of the season at least.

Ralph has said that he is only interested in players with a long term view. I doubt we are considering loans for anyone this window.

Ralph speaks: 'Saints will only enter the market if it helps us'

'SAINTS WILL ONLY ENTER MARKET IF IT HELPS US'

Despite their position in the Premier League, Ralph Hasenhuttl says Southampton have no need to enter the January market.

"The team have shown that they have more potential in them than people thought," he told Sky Sports. "We didn't have to immediately bring new players in.

"We tried to create potential and quality, and I think we did that. That doesn't mean we are not looking, because we are looking, but we'll only do a transfer if it helps us immediately and also for the future.

"It's a package. If you find a young player who has potential and quality then we'll think about a transfer. The more important thing in this transfer period is to give players away, to have a committed group that is not too big.

"If it is too big, I cannot give every player the feeling that he is important for me. That is what I want to do.

"If a new player comes in now, it will take time to get used to our philosophy, so I think the most successful way to work is in the summer [transfer window] where we have a full pre-season and can work six weeks with new players."

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11615639/ralph-hasenhuttl-on-southampton8217s-transfer-plans-new-rules-and-playing-piano

Edited by SuperSAINT

"If a new player comes in now, it will take time to get used to our philosophy, so I think the most successful way to work is in the summer [transfer window] where we have a full pre-season and can work six weeks with new players."

Explains why it’s all gone quiet then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk