Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

As an over seventy year old with a relatively mild underlying health condition, I sometimes wonder if I'll see it through.

The other night I was reminded of a story my Mum told me about when my Dad was stationed at Netley Royal Victoria hospital (now the country park and Hants police HQ,),during the blitz,they lived in digs in Netley to be with each other.

Every night when the sirens went off,she and the landlady would sit under a very solid oak dining table until the all clear.

They survived, as it was thought that the massive and very distinctive hospital was a very useful landmark to the bombers lining up to attack the supermarine factory and the docks.

One night however a land mine hit the pub at the end of the road and it felt like an earthquake, next morning nothing was left of the street corner except a large hole and debris.

Needless to say they both survived the war and begat me.

I feel the same sense of helplessness, wondering whether it will pass me by.

As an over seventy year old with a relatively mild underlying health condition, I sometimes wonder if I'll see it through.

The other night I was reminded of a story my Mum told me about when my Dad was stationed at Netley Royal Victoria hospital (now the country park and Hants police HQ,),during the blitz,they lived in digs in Netley to be with each other.

Every night when the sirens went off,she and the landlady would sit under a very solid oak dining table until the all clear.

They survived, as it was thought that the massive and very distinctive hospital was a very useful landmark to the bombers lining up to attack the supermarine factory and the docks.

One night however a land mine hit the pub at the end of the road and it felt like an earthquake, next morning nothing was left of the street corner except a large hole and debris.

Hang in there mate. The numbers are on your side.

You might have already had it and recovered!

Hang in there mate. The numbers are on your side.

You might have already had it and recovered!

So, if we have already had it (& I’m not convinced we haven’t as my youngest had all the symptoms before we really knew what this thing was), can we catch it again?

I’m assuming we can still carry it on our hands etc, even if we have had it?

So, if we have already had it (& I’m not convinced we haven’t as my youngest had all the symptoms before we really knew what this thing was), can we catch it again?

Generally speaking, unless there are multiple strains (which I guess is the unknown at the moment), it’s very likely that once you’ve had it, you’ll be immune.

Keep strong, I'm in the same boat as you, I have been trying to get over prostate cancer for the last 4 years and still not in the clear so I suppose I am in the vulnerable list. It's scary that's for sure but there's plenty of saints losses in us yet to witness as long as we can keep as positive as possible. Stay safe.

If you've recovered you probably aren't contagious any more. The virus can live on hands for a while but not indefinitely.

You may now have immunity. That's certainly the hope, but the science is currently inconclusive.

If you've recovered you probably aren't contagious any more. The virus can live on hands for a while but not indefinitely.

You may now have immunity. That's certainly the hope, but the science is currently inconclusive.

The virus will not live long on your hands especially if you wash them regularly.

There must be quite a bit of immunity or a vaccine would not be much use. It may not be complete immunity but enough to prevent a serious illness.

Keep strong, I'm in the same boat as you, I have been trying to get over prostate cancer for the last 4 years and still not in the clear so I suppose I am in the vulnerable list. It's scary that's for sure but there's plenty of saints losses in us yet to witness as long as we can keep as positive as possible. Stay safe.

That's the spirit. Always look on the bright side of life.

You don't have a fair allocation of points from this season to roll over though, due to relative strength of teams played etc.
Maybe add the extra games onto next season, cancel the league Cup and no replays in fa Cup with a few midweek games. Could easily accomplish that.

6 months MOT extension given. You pleased?
Me? Why me?

I was simply giving one trivial example of why a total lockdown (for a limited section of society) can cause problems.

It's a sensible move but all this should have been thought out weeks ago.

Still no news about the business support schemes. Might be in place by May, which will be too late for many much as I applaud the provisions.

Me? Why me?

I was simply giving one trivial example of why a total lockdown (for a limited section of society) can cause problems.

Still no news about the business support schemes. Might be in place by May, which will be too late for many much as I applaud the provisions.

there is only so much money to go around. Today, I heard some MP demanding that the Government pay charities the lost revenue due to people being kept inside.

At this rate, we may as well just get paid what we normally do but direct from the government. This country (and many others) is utter screwed financially. Will probably make George Osborne's austerity package look like a bit of fun, when all is said and done.

Edited by Batman

there is only so much money to go around. Today, I heard some MP demanding that the Government pay charities the lost revenue due to people being kept inside.

At this rate, we may as well just get paid what we normally do but direct from the government. This (and many other country's) are utter screwed financially. Will probably make George Osborne's austerity package look like a bit of fun, when all is said and done.

Agreed, with the debt we will need to take on to survive and the undoubted recession that will follow i suspect we will be feeling pain for 10 years at least.

My focus is to keep my business breathing for the next 6 months and ensure i get out the other side. I dont need to lay anyone off yet but no doubt that will come. What makes that harder is there is nothing out there for people you do lay off. Tough times ahead. the pressure on business owners is immense and im feeling the pressure of ensuring my team of 12 have a job.

Me? Why me?

It does make me laugh how some self employed people are complaining. There are without doubt a lot of genuine people who are worried and thats fair enough. I know a bloke who runs a kitchen fitting business, he earns about £60k a year but every year boasts about how little tax and NI he's paid, apparently his books have shown as little as £18k some years, now he's complaining there is no help for self employed people. Of course that's just one example and i reminded him when he was whinging about it last week which he didn't like, but sadly truth hurts.

It does make me laugh how some self employed people are complaining. There are without doubt a lot of genuine people who are worried and thats fair enough. I know a bloke who runs a kitchen fitting business, he earns about £60k a year but every year boasts about how little tax and NI he's paid, apparently his books have shown as little as £18k some years, now he's complaining there is no help for self employed people. Of course that's just one example and i reminded him when he was whinging about it last week which he didn't like, but sadly truth hurts.

I very much doubt that what you think he earns is true and if it is then he is into tax avoidance big time.

Most self employed are tax dodgers. It’s too tempting.

I have a mate similar talks about how great his accountant is and then has a go at public services

Most self employed are tax dodgers. It’s too tempting.

I have a mate similar talks about how great his accountant is and then has a go at public services

If your business is small enough that you can operate as cash only, or not cross paths with anyone issuing VAT invoices or anything else that creates a paper trail, you're probably not earning enough to make a real dent by skimping on your taxes anyway.

To get back to football related discussion, I see the National League are expected to void the entire season later this week. If they do that then the rest of the leagues will almost certainly be obliged to follow suit. The only sensible course of action in my opinion.....

If your business is small enough that you can operate as cash only, or not cross paths with anyone issuing VAT invoices or anything else that creates a paper trail, you're probably not earning enough to make a real dent by skimping on your taxes anyway.

multiply that by a few thousand and it would make a difference though wouldnt it.

To get back to football related discussion, I see the National League are expected to void the entire season later this week. If they do that then the rest of the leagues will almost certainly be obliged to follow suit. The only sensible course of action in my opinion.....

Yes that gutting, my local team is Harrogate Town, i go there are fair bit now. They are having their best ever season, 2nd in the conference 3 points behind top with them to play at home in a few weeks and in the semi final of the FA Trophy. The double was most definitely on and promotion to L2 would be incredible. It is the right thing to do though.

Agreed, with the debt we will need to take on to survive and the undoubted recession that will follow i suspect we will be feeling pain for 10 years at least.

My focus is to keep my business breathing for the next 6 months and ensure i get out the other side. I dont need to lay anyone off yet but no doubt that will come. What makes that harder is there is nothing out there for people you do lay off. Tough times ahead. the pressure on business owners is immense and im feeling the pressure of ensuring my team of 12 have a job.

Serious question, genuinely curious - when you say lay them off do you mean permanently. If yes why, when you can furlough them and they get paid 80% of there wages by the Government?

Serious question, genuinely curious - when you say lay them off do you mean permanently. If yes why, when you can furlough them and they get paid 80% of there wages by the Government?
Yep. About 90 of my staff are now on furlough. Should be comfortable for at least three months with the government measures. May struggle if its extended to six

he probably means lay them off down the line. The fall out of all this will be economically horrendous, I imagine

he probably means lay them off down the line. The fall out of all this will be economically horrendous, I imagine

I thought maybe that was the case but await the answer. I'm not normally the optimistic type but as long as this doesn't drag on for months I think we can bounce back very quickly in terms of business activity. Noted though we'll be saddled with a load more debt as a Country which is massively unhelpful. Can't see those potholes getting repaired any time soon.

I thought maybe that was the case but await the answer. I'm not normally the optimistic type but as long as this doesn't drag on for months I think we can bounce back very quickly in terms of business activity. Noted though we'll be saddled with a load more debt as a Country which is massively unhelpful. Can't see those potholes getting repaired any time soon.

Hopefully, you are right.

There was an economics professor on the radio earlier, highlighting that it is wonderful that the govt are really leaning in and helping the vast majority in business and society (more then ever in our history), but this will come with a massive cost.

He went to to say that should this level of shutdown go on into the Autumn, then the the effect on our economy will be 'catastrophic' at best.

It wont go on that long will it? Probably see the lock down lifted/premier league football in May........we hope!

Serious question, genuinely curious - when you say lay them off do you mean permanently. If yes why, when you can furlough them and they get paid 80% of there wages by the Government?[/quote

Yes, you can furlough them and get 80% but that’s only 3 months. I’d only lay off staff if there was a longer term threat to my business as I have enough operational cash to keep it running through this lockdown. The problem with furloughed employees is that you keep them on but they aren’t allowed to work. Not sure if there are any conditions around any payments that I / staff receive.

My business relies on annual contracts but already I’m having conversations with clients who need / want to save money so envisage a reduction in turnover.

The thing with voiding the season is that it is all about money.

Cancelling next season (to finish off this one) would be far worse (tbf only Pool fans want this)

They will definitely try to finish the season off somehow, and then my bet is next season will be modified as much as possible without leaving a financial dent i.e. remove replays/remove league cup/single legged European ties

I think the PL will be missing out on £800m if they can’t finish the season off.

Serious question, genuinely curious - when you say lay them off do you mean permanently. If yes why, when you can furlough them and they get paid 80% of there wages by the Government?[/quote

Yes, you can furlough them and get 80% but that’s only 3 months. I’d only lay off staff if there was a longer term threat to my business as I have enough operational cash to keep it running through this lockdown. The problem with furloughed employees is that you keep them on but they aren’t allowed to work. Not sure if there are any conditions around any payments that I / staff receive.

My business relies on annual contracts but already I’m having conversations with clients who need / want to save money so envisage a reduction in turnover.

That's an issue I have. Some of the staff have said that if it comes to it in an emergency situation that they will volunteer but I'm not sure where we stand on that legally.

To compare this to flu as Le Tissier and now you have is daft.

Without any measures this virus is predicted to kill 500,000 in the UK. Without measures like social distancing etc flu does not get remotely close to that.

Please watch this...

Do you have anything even remotely coming to good evidence to support that?

If you do... post them in this thread https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?55460-Terrorist-Attacks-WARNING-CONTAINS-DISTRESSING-IMAGES&highlight=theories#.Xnj_6oj7SUk

There won't be a country in the world who gets anywhere near 500k deaths.

I believe we have to pay staff as normal and then get reimbursed by the government for 80% of wages. I was told this will be happening next month but it's all a bit wait and see at the moment.

All I can find is this,which says “aiming to get it done before the end of April”

https://www.businesssupport.gov.uk/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme/

I have questions about other aspects such as pension contributions, auto-enrolment and suchlike.

It's an absolutely massive thing to basically make up in a week or two so I'm not surprised it's light on detail. My focus is on keeping my staff in a job and keeping them healthy and safe as much as possible. Currently I have enough resources to do that for the next three months then we will see what happens after that. I assume the employer will still have to pay everything like normal and the government just reimburses you for 80%. I hope so anyway.

It's an absolutely massive thing to basically make up in a week or two so I'm not surprised it's light on detail. My focus is on keeping my staff in a job and keeping them healthy and safe as much as possible. Currently I have enough resources to do that for the next three months then we will see what happens after that. I assume the employer will still have to pay everything like normal and the government just reimburses you for 80%. I hope so anyway.

Well they’ve had several weeks to prepare but it has to be done properly.

Our problem is that we haven’t been able to ship any product so we have almost run out of liquidity. Components that we get from China still haven’t arrived because of the Chinese New Year and then lockdown. Getting transport for them is also difficult. FedEx and DHL won’t go near the factories.

I’m especially interested in this £10,000 grant we are supposed to be getting through the Business Rates system but that has to be claimed through Eastleigh Borough Council so we have to wait for a letter from them first.

I had assumed the 20% was the shortfall the employee took for not working? So your staff will receive full pay?