Bombey 0 v 0 Saints match + reaction thread

Shroppie

We earned a good away point against a top six side. :lol: This is a Bournemouth side in a good run of form, noted this season for playing pacey attacking football. But on balance we were better than them in the first half and pretty level in the second half. Tactically matching their 4-4-2 suited us, as Hojbjerg and Lemina were strong together. When Lemina went off, Hughes kept us strong there with Armstrong and also did the right thing by boldly substituting both Ings and Austin for Long and Gabbiadini, who both had chances to gain all three points. Of the two keepers, McCarthy had a relatively relaxed afternoon. Begovic was the one being kept on his toes.

Hojbjerg man of the match again. He really is growing in stature and his prowess at long range shots is getting him noticed. I hope that Lemina isn't badly injured, as he is forming a good partnership with Hojbjerg. The back line was good today and must be pleased with the clean sheet. As mentioned in the first half, Elyounoussi was fairly invisible, as we favoured attacking down the left. At times though, Redmond would switch over to the right and he was as effective with Cedric as with Bertrand on the left. He still lacks consistency though, and often loses the ball in promising positions. He is a handful though, so could well improve with time.

Leaving the stadium, the Saints fans will be feeling much the happier of the two sets of fans. For all that the momentum on the South Coast favours them at the moment, they would need to be beating us at home to have bragging rights over us.

Defence wise I thought we were pretty good. Kept them well at bay. Don't think they really had a chance did they?

However the other end is where I worry. We just don't seem to attack very well. Mo and Austin haven't really done much to justify their places. Time to start Gabbi imo.

Hughes has a 17% win ratio now, needs to change and change fast.

Agree. Mo has done the square root of f'all since he arrived. Austin ditto in the league this season. One man you don't mention is Redmond - our most creative player apparently. Who has done......................the square root of f'all in the league. A couple of assists in ropey Carabaou or whatever the **** it's called don't really cut it. With those 'striking' options it's no wonder we are where we are.

We didn't lose and we had a couple of chances (though Bournemouth's chance in the opening minute and King's miss were probably as clear as any of ours) but we're still a team completely lacking in identity. Play doesn't develop - it just sort of happens randomly throughout the 90 minutes.

We earned a good away point against a top six side. :lol: This is a Bournemouth side in a good run of form, noted this season for playing pacey attacking football. But on balance we were better than them in the first half and pretty level in the second half. Tactically matching their 4-4-2 suited us, as Hojbjerg and Lemina were strong together. When Lemina went off, Hughes kept us strong there with Armstrong and also did the right thing by boldly substituting both Ings and Austin for Long and Gabbiadini, who both had chances to gain all three points. Of the two keepers, McCarthy had a relatively relaxed afternoon. Begovic was the one being kept on his toes.

Hojbjerg man of the match again. He really is growing in stature and his prowess at long range shots is getting him noticed. I hope that Lemina isn't badly injured, as he is forming a good partnership with Hojbjerg. The back line was good today and must be pleased with the clean sheet. As mentioned in the first half, Elyounoussi was fairly invisible, as we favoured attacking down the left. At times though, Redmond would switch over to the right and he was as effective with Cedric as with Bertrand on the left. He still lacks consistency though, and often loses the ball in promising positions. He is a handful though, so could well improve with time.

Leaving the stadium, the Saints fans will be feeling much the happier of the two sets of fans. For all that the momentum on the South Coast favours them at the moment, they would need to be beating us at home to have bragging rights over us.

Pretty fair summary. Armstrong should have scored near the end, and Gabbi nearly did. Won’t be popular with everyone but I thought Wes Hoedt played well.

Got to top up the suntan, but it would be nice to see another league goal soon though...

We didn't lose and we had a couple of chances (though Bournemouth's chance in the opening minute and King's miss were probably as clear as any of ours) but we're still a team completely lacking in identity. Play doesn't develop - it just sort of happens randomly throughout the 90 minutes.

Spot on.

We don’t have a style and I said it won’t take long before Ings loses his sharpness and we will stop scoring.

Ings looked very good when he first came in. Now he looks as bad as the rest of them

Frankly if we’re going to keep hoofing it, might as well play Long up top and let Ings play off him. That’s when he’s looked at his sharpest.

Edited by shurlock

Austin was a wheezing carthorse up front.... Ings' mobility and movement looks quite laboured to me.

Where are the goals coming from?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Very clearly they are not coming from anywhere as we saw today. Four useless effing strikers who can't score. How can we possibly stay up?

Very clearly they are not coming from anywhere as we saw today. Four useless effing strikers who can't score. How can we possibly stay up?
It's hard to argue that we don't have the worst strikers in the league! Which teams exactly shudder in fear at the thought of facing Austin & long or gabiadinni & ings for that matter

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I swear I’m jinxed.

Missed 2 games at home last season. Everton... I was away for a friends birthday and then Bournemouth as I was in Marbella.

Therefore the last time I saw saints win was about a year ago when boufal scored that stunner against wba.

The good news is I can’t go next week as I’m working.

Therefore nailed on 3 Pts v the toon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decent result, probably should have nicked it, but I’d have snapped your hand off for a point beforehand.

Wes excellent today, probably he’s most assured performance for a long long time. Stephens did ok as well, so fair play to Hughes for that selection. PEH stand out player for us today, defo our MoTM. Long won more headers in quarter of an hour than Austin & Ings did combined. Prior to his introduction Ake was playing in his pipe & slippers, Austin is slower than me.

I swear I’m jinxed.

Missed 2 games at home last season. Everton... I was away for a friends birthday and then Bournemouth as I was in Marbella.

Therefore the last time I saw saints win was about a year ago when boufal scored that stunner against wba.

The good news is I can’t go next week as I’m working.

Therefore nailed on 3 Pts v the toon

****ing Jonah you are :)

Other than the Bournemouth game last season which was at home I can’t remember the last time I saw us win.

Decent result, probably should have nicked it, but I’d have snapped your hand off for a point beforehand.

Wes excellent today, probably he’s most assured performance for a long long time. Stephens did ok as well, so fair play to Hughes for that selection. PEH stand out player for us today, defo our MoTM. Long won more headers in quarter of an hour than Austin & Ings did combined. Prior to his introduction Ake was playing in his pipe & slippers, Austin is slower than me.

Agree with all of that. We lacked mobility up front and wide - I haven't seen anything so far from Elyounoussi to think he will make an impact this season, seems off the pace and was slow to track back at times. Our corners and attacking set pieces generally continue to be a complete disaster.

Edited by Katalinic

Interesting listening to Hughes on why he picked Hoedt and Stephens. to para phrase he has been working with them on defending in trainning right through the international break and they had responded well to it so he picked them over other CBs who had been away...guess he was proved right as we kept a clean sheet.

Decent result - particularly considering the dire predictions in the build-up thread. Let's remember the B'mouth are still 6th and smashed Watford 4-0 away last match.
Yep, perspective. Interesting as well that the BBC made their goalkeeper MOTM as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

A fair point. Both teams had a couple of decent chances. We controlled the game for longer periods than they did but didn't create as enough clear cut chances as we should have.

Austin was awful and should have been subbed far earlier. The CB's were actually pretty decent considering most people have that down as our worst combination. Hojbjerg our man of the match (again) and thought Lerma was decent for them.

Their fans are an utter joke. That's supposed to be their BIG game and we barely heard a peep out of them. Laughable really.

A fair point. Both teams had a couple of decent chances. We controlled the game for longer periods than they did but didn't create as enough clear cut chances as we should have.

Austin was awful and should have been subbed far earlier. The CB's were actually pretty decent considering most people have that down as our worst combination. Hojbjerg our man of the match (again) and thought Lerma was decent for them.

Their fans are an utter joke. That's supposed to be their BIG game and we barely heard a peep out of them. Laughable really.

Their little fans still trying to kick off 3 hours after full time. Complete embarrassment, they really are. Little noddy club

Didn’t see the game so can’t pass judgement on anything, but re Stephens:

Could his (apparently) good game be because Bournemouth play football on the ground and use strikers more about speed and skill, as opposed to crossing it in for big centre forwards?

People say Stephens can’t tackle but I’ve often seen him stand players up well. On the other hand he has always looked atrocious dealing with anything in the air.

Decent result - particularly considering the dire predictions in the build-up thread. Let's remember the B'mouth are still 6th and smashed Watford 4-0 away last match.

This. But hearing about the chances we had, a smidgeon disappointed we didn't get three points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t see the game so can’t pass judgement on anything, but re Stephens:

Could his (apparently) good game be because Bournemouth play football on the ground and use strikers more about speed and skill, as opposed to crossing it in for big centre forwards?

People say Stephens can’t tackle but I’ve often seen him stand players up well. On the other hand he has always looked atrocious dealing with anything in the air.

I think this is exactly right. He has decent pace and I think he defends well on the ground. Against teams who are going to throw in loads of crosses and high balls, Verstergaard will be better. But Stephens is easily the better footballer.

I've never accepted that Hoedt is as bad as his manic critics on here try to say, and today he was good. And I like Maya. I just wish we could know our best CB pairing - but then maybe it will depend on the opposition.

But neither did anything today to get dropped, and I'll surprise myself by saying keep then next week.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It’s a bit sad when a point away to Bournemouth is considered a good result. I’m not saying it isn’t by the way. Just shows how far we have fallen.

Hughes seems to set his teams up to stop others playing and not set teams up to win games.

I think we have to acknowledge that B'mouth have become a really decent side, their results this season compel that.

I think this is exactly right. He has decent pace and I think he defends well on the ground. Against teams who are going to throw in loads of crosses and high balls, Verstergaard will be better. But Stephens is easily the better footballer.

I've never accepted that Hoedt is as bad as his manic critics on here try to say, and today he was good. And I like Maya. I just wish we could know our best CB pairing - but then maybe it will depend on the opposition.

But neither did anything today to get dropped, and I'll surprise myself by saying keep then next week.

His positioning and reading of the game are generally woeful.

His positioning and reading of the game are generally woeful.
But they weren't bad today. Yes, might have been caught out once or twice, but so are most CBs at some point. And I'm not arguing with a clean sheet.

It’s a bit sad when a point away to Bournemouth is considered a good result. I’m not saying it isn’t by the way. Just shows how far we have fallen.

Hughes seems to set his teams up to stop others playing and not set teams up to win games.

Instead of focusing on it being Bournemouth look it another way. It is an away point to a team in the top six, who scored 4 goals in their last game, and are full of confidence while we have been very poor most of the season.

It's hard to argue that we don't have the worst strikers in the league! Which teams exactly shudder in fear at the thought of facing Austin & long or gabiadinni & ings for that matter

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

How long is it since a Palace center forward scored?

Good point against an in form Bournemouth. Means nothing if we fail to beat Newcastle. 6 goals all season is a worry though especially considering Ings has provided the majority. An injury to him and im not sure where the goals are coming from. The likes of Redmond, Moi, Austin, Lemina, Gabbi etc need to start finding the net

When Tadic was here, we used to have a plenty of chances but no one can convert them into goals. But now we have a lot of professional strikers who if in other teams would have scored a few, but they have no chance. You cannot rely on Redmond and others who prefer shooting off the target than simply passing the ball to the strikers.

Not a massive fan of MH but thought MH got tactics spot on and the players delivered - they were coming off a good run, but stop their long balls down the channel for the pacey strikers and they are pretty crap with no midfield quality to create much.

Frustrating we miss so many simple chances, should have been 3 points today. If we don't get 3 points next game MH should really be thinking is he the man for the job - can't we trade him for Rafa?

Ings looked very good when he first came in. Now he looks as bad as the rest of them

Yes i noticed that aswell.................when we were first linked with him (as i thought panic forward buy) there was a sense of oh really,but he looked up for it sharp quick to try and find space

but now he dosent seem as sharp not finding the space and not clicking with anyone in the sense of trusting another team mate to try that tricky pass etc........Redmond and Bertrand they still seem at odds with each

other ,which in a way alters the approach of Redmond to deliver the final pass quicker and earlier for our strikers to run into. Ings was getting that service early in the season somethings not quite right atm.

but now he dosent seem as sharp not finding the space and not clicking with anyone in the sense of trusting another team mate to try that tricky pass etc....

Every game he is paired with someone different up front. No real opportunity to develop a partnership I guess.

Every game he is paired with someone different up front. No real opportunity to develop a partnership I guess.

By his own admission Ings likes to drop deep and act as link with midfield to attack, but he’s not doing that now. I suspect that’s because he is seen as the most likely goal threat and so is tasked to play forward to receive balls. This therefore suggests the coaching employed is having a negative effect on our attacking play and with the lower level of skill/pace our strikers enjoy, its little wonder we’re not scoring goals.

Good season by your normal expectations, then.

Realistic. We had a purple spell but I could see the foundations were built on sand and warned everyone of the breathtaking complacency at the club. I was lambasted and vilified for my views, but now the wolf is at the door we better hope the straw house does not blow down.

Austin trying to give a rallying call before next week pretty huge game.

Although his comments reference negativity did peeve-me somewhat.

What does he expect after a couple of seasons of crap served up culminating in 5 wins in 40 league games.

Sometimes footballers stagger me.

155341d961e098f4942983a8d98519f5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk