Saints vs Newcastle Build-up

SuperSAINT

Anything other than a win in this mtach and IMO its almost inconceivable that this season will be about anything other than a survival battle.

Win and there is a slight possibility we could push upwards a bit.

Hope we try a 4-2-3-1 with Armstrong in for Austin.

Wins against Newcastle and Leicester and our season is back on track, banishing nerves and giving us a bit of confidence. Won't happen but it'd be nice, especially with winnable games against Watford and Fulham on the horizon.

Newcastle is obviously the more winnable game, but despite their league position I'd still label them as dangerous. If everyone plays a 9 out of 10 game, and we actually see some product from Elyounoussi or Redmond, we could well win. Verdict? Another point here, another poor game. Followed by a defeat to Leicester, which I think would see Hughes clinging to his job by his fingernails...

Massive game, should be a good atmosphere. Would be nice for us to have a quick start and get an early goal. Get on top early and I think their heads will go down. We have the quality in the individuals, but not quite clicking going forward at the moment.

Saints win, and a big step forward.

Massive game, should be a good atmosphere. Would be nice for us to have a quick start and get an early goal. Get on top early and I think their heads will go down. We have the quality in the individuals, but not quite clicking going forward at the moment.

Saints win, and a big step forward.

Reverse is probably true as well though, concede and we go to pieces.

Although on reflection we also tend to switch off after scoring and invite the opposition to attack us (Leicester at home springs to mind).

Perhaps the perfect plan is the game v Newcastle from the late 1980's, 0-0 injury time, Ruddock with a very last minute penalty.

Edited by Badger

I would like to see Michael Obafemi on the bench. Its about time he got a shot, can't be any worse than Long or Austin, and he has something to prove.

I think we may as well try someone from the academy or Gallagher up front. I can see how they can give a worse goal return than the players we're sticking out there now.

We simply have to win. They're bottom of the league, zero excuses if we get less than three points.

At home against teams of a similar quality to us, we have been table to take the lead (Leicester and Brighton), so if we can maintain that side of things and show our defensive capabilities as we did against Bournemouth, we should be able to get the three points.

Newcastle looking for their first win of the season, Us with our shocking home form - doesn’t bode well at all!!!

Anything less than a win and it’s Hughes out for me I’m afraid. We’ve already dropped points against very poor Leicester, Burnley and Brighton sides, we just can’t let that happen against the bottom placed team.

My prediction is that we will assume they are there for the taking and therefore will buckle, Hoedt making another of his clangers. Our insipid home support will make it even harder. 0-1

That's the spirit.

Personally I think we'll grind out a win. 1-0.

My prediction is that we will assume they are there for the taking and therefore will buckle, Hoedt making another of his clangers. Our insipid home support will make it even harder. 0-1

Our home support the last 3 games in the first half has been excellent imo, it's the second half where usually the performance and the atmosphere goes a bit flat

Anything other than a win in this mtach and IMO its almost inconceivable that this season will be about anything other than a survival battle.

Win and there is a slight possibility we could push upwards a bit.

Hope we try a 4-2-3-1 with Armstrong in for Austin.

This for me as well.

3-1 Saints

This is exactly the sort of game where Puel and Pellegrino would have set us up cautiously, being alert to the counter etc. Hughes will have a go for sure, which is why I am glad we have him instead. Newcastle are a mistake waiting to happen all over the pitch, especially Kenedy who is a massive liability for them. Have a go, and we can win this comfortably.

This is exactly the sort of game where Puel and Pellegrino would have set us up cautiously, being alert to the counter etc. Hughes will have a go for sure, which is why I am glad we have him instead. Newcastle are a mistake waiting to happen all over the pitch, especially Kenedy who is a massive liability for them. Have a go, and we can win this comfortably.

Massive liability but also a potential match winner - they have a threat there's no doubt about that, but they might be one of the only teams with less confidence than us. We should win, but who knows, could easily be another bore draw 0-0/.

Surprisingly sales for this game appear to be going very well. Hopefully the team will put on some form of performance and we'll get behind them.

Got my ticket (upload) yesterday and was really surprised that there were hardly any blue dots left anywhere - mostly singles, so should be nearly full - just like at Chelsea!

You would think we will win but I just can’t see it.

So many ****e teams that have visited St Mary’s in the last two years have avoided defeat.

This is going to be another one.

The last two managers would have avoided defeat as much as possible.

Hughes will no doubt go for it a bit more and Newcastle are clearly there for the taking. They will obviously try and keep it very tight for the first hour.

Just depends if we see a comedy show at the back.

One thing worth mentioning, Newcastle have put in loads of crosses in recent games, something Stephens is diabolical dealing with.

On the plus side Hughes has identified that our shots to conversion rate is **** poor and is going to get the strikers back to basics in trainning

https://stmarysmusings.sbnation.com/2018/10/23/18013050/mark-hughes-southamptons-chance-conversion-rate-is-poor-bournemouth-premier-league-draw-eddie-howe

Hopefully it will help and we will see a goalfest at SMS.

Shelvey will score so we'll need two at least if we're going to win.

Massive game, should be a good atmosphere Saturday 3pm kick off. It's a shame that despite selling out 2400 a couple of weeks ago Newcastle sent back block 43, now on sale to home fans but it always dilutes the atmosphere having Northam home section and fully stood away section segregated by sat down in silence block 43.

Lets hope their 2 early goals against Man U was just a one off.

But lets be honest, hey will be viewing this as a winnable game to get their season started, very much as our no show at teirs end of last season kick started their survival run.

Actually yhat was probably one of the last games they have won!!