Glover as new head of recruitment?

Saint86

More or less confirmed by the Daily Echo this afternoon.

Ross Wilson to become head of football operations which he was more or less was doing anyway for the last 18months.

A reminder that at least three staff are involved in choosing players to buy.

More or less confirmed by the Daily Echo this afternoon.

Ross Wilson to become head of football operations which he was more or less was doing anyway for the last 18months.

A reminder that at least three staff are involved in choosing players to buy.

So that's Wilson and Glover, two without a track record between them.

What has Ross achieved to get a promotion like this? He should have been out of the door with Les, he's half the problem. His record is atrocious, he should not be making these sorts of calls or building a team around 'him'. He has wasted a fortune of money, which for a club like us, is like gold dust. He's flittered nearly £100m away on the likes of Elyounoussi, Boufal, Hoedt, Carrillo, Ings, Armstrong - and half of those have been shipped out on loan anyway.

Seemingly he's going to continue making the calls, so I doubt our recruitment is going to improve a great deal – unless Ralph puts his contacts into the hat and we bypass as much of Ross as we can, that's what I hope will happen!

What has Ross achieved to get a promotion like this? He should have been out of the door with Les, he's half the problem. His record is atrocious, he should not be making these sorts of calls or building a team around 'him'. He has wasted a fortune of money, which for a club like us, is like gold dust. He's flittered nearly £100m away on the likes of Elyounoussi, Boufal, Hoedt, Carrillo, Ings, Armstrong - and half of those have been shipped out on loan anyway.

Seemingly he's going to continue making the calls, so I doubt our recruitment is going to improve a great deal – unless Ralph puts his contacts into the hat and we bypass as much of Ross as we can, that's what I hope will happen!

I don’t see the reason he is so highly rated by the club - either he was equally culpable in making insane decisions under the old duffer now at the FA or what else was he actually doing? Les’s carer?

The one glimmer of hope here is that RH isn’t a weak yes man like the previous three, although I reckon Puel was only sacked when he challenged Les about Forster and other Les stalwarts he wanted to move on (allegedly according to some on this forum) and Les had a lucrative extension in mind instead for the big lump. I think everything we’ve seen - including Hoedt shipped out straight away - suggests that if Ross brings him a player he doesn’t want, they will be straight out on loan and RH will use the press in a way that Puel and Pellegrino weren’t able to make that abundantly clear. Good upwards management at that level and will keep the club on its toes. RH holds the aces, Ross has no leverage in the situation, new title or not.

What has Ross achieved ......to get a promotion like this? He should have been out of the door with Les, he's half the problem. His record is atrocious, he should not be making these sorts of calls or building a team around 'him'. He has wasted a fortune of money, which for a club like us, is like gold dust. He's flittered nearly £100m away on the likes of Elyounoussi, Boufal, Hoedt, Carrillo, Ings, Armstrong - and half of those have been shipped out on loan anyway.

I think the question could be left at the bit I've highlighted. I'm unaware and would welcome anyone identifying his achievements/track record for being brought to the club under Les's guidance in the first place. We were linked with the bloke at Norwich, and on reading about him he was involved in clubs who made progress under his watch. Ross Wilson was at Huddersfield and was linked with us in the press for about 18 months before he arrived. Interestingly their rise seemed to take off after he left.I don't think he was involved in bringing David Wagner to the club for example.

So what have either Wilson or this other character done to merit their roles at Saints? Genuinely interested.

Yes - hope Ralph can identify the players we need, and that we now have someone capable of securing the deals. Lets not have another summer of dither and bumbling.

It remains a massive worry, as a ‘break even’ club our entire business is basically at the hands of this at best unproven bloke. We know he didn’t get Ralph in, we do know his job was to recruit Hughes, Puel, Pelligrino, Carrillo, Moi, Boufal, Hoet etc. His responsibilities were also contract negotiations - so those thinking we have players on undeserving contracts should also worry, or if you think the Ings deal isn’t great. That said you would say that Redmond, Hoijberg, Gunn and maybe Armstrong have looked solid buys.

Personally I simply can’t see how he has ended up in charge here - sadly I think we’ll see a few more questionable buys and wasted tens of millions before he’s replaced, just hope it doesn’t do too much damage. Also after last window fiasco I can’t see Ralph putting up with another poor window - he’s too ambitious to allow that to tarnish his reputation, so hopefully he’ll do Ross’s job for him and leave him to sort the paperwork and make the tea.

• 3 years later...

Leaving for Leicester according to Ornstein.

Not determined if before or after the summer.

Plausible that Sport Republic aren't overly bothered as want their own people working to their recruitment models.

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Leaving for Leicester according to Ornstein.

Not determined if before or after the summer.

Plausible that Sport Republic aren't overly bothered as want their own people working to their recruitment models.

From the article:

It is unclear when Glover can begin his new role, with Leicester determined for the Englishman to oversee their summer business and Southampton wanting him to do the same before departing.

If Southampton demand Glover’s notice period be served — he is currently involved in planning their activity and the hierarchy expect this to continue — they will utilise him until the autumn and Leicester will have to proceed with their existing structure, led by director of football Jon Rudkin.

But should an agreement be found for his release, Leicester would be able to take advantage of Glover’s expertise for a key stretch of trading and Southampton would need to adapt accordingly.

Would be a good opportunity for the new owners to have one of their own in a key position. No idea if Glover is doing a good job or not but just adds to the importance of getting the summer trading right. 

1 hour ago, Saint Troy said:

Odd situation here. If he goes before the summer he takes our list of targets with him. Leicester are a better proposition for most I would think. Long term no problem, short term could be a real pain

Interesting that this crops up today, as his name was mentioned on a thread yesterday.

Don’t think there is a great track record (see first post, and consider our recruitment since his arrival) to be concerned over his departure.

Only issue is the timing. If he was going to Man Utd it probably wouldn’t matter as they’ll be recruiting at a different level. Leicester, although ahead of us in the attractions stakes, still look at the ‘bargain’ market that we operate in. Would hope we defer any releasing until the next window closes, depending on his contract of course.

Saints though will probably release him early to save on his salary

On 25/04/2019 at 19:52, saint1977 said:

I don’t see the reason he is so highly rated by the club - either he was equally culpable in making insane decisions under the old duffer now at the FA or what else was he actually doing? Les’s carer?

The one glimmer of hope here is that RH isn’t a weak yes man like the previous three, although I reckon Puel was only sacked when he challenged Les about Forster and other Les stalwarts he wanted to move on (allegedly according to some on this forum) and Les had a lucrative extension in mind instead for the big lump. I think everything we’ve seen - including Hoedt shipped out straight away - suggests that if Ross brings him a player he doesn’t want, they will be straight out on loan and RH will use the press in a way that Puel and Pellegrino weren’t able to make that abundantly clear. Good upwards management at that level and will keep the club on its toes. RH holds the aces, Ross has no leverage in the situation, new title or not.

I think it's pretty clear Ralph is not likely to rock the boat and is not much more than a yes man.

• Like 1

Never good, after seeing just how smart we have to be over the summer, and how many in the squad are replaceable, to hear that your head of scouting and recruitment is going. Can only hope moves for a lot of key targets are well under way.

Leicester may be shopping at a different store from us, and have a different set of criteria/ targets.

Hopefully, the club's sucession planning also extends to Glvoer and that we have a replacment in mind, if it's not going to be an internal switch.  

If we're really lucky, Glover will convince Leicester hat the players they need are all our deadwood, and they can join up with Vesty and Bertrand.

• Like 1

Interesting comment from 2019:

On 26/04/2019 at 15:38, OldNick said:

I would have thought the scout at Brentford would have been a decent choice as they do seem to find some decent young players

Wonder if that is now closer …

On 25/04/2019 at 21:42, Badger said:

- hope Ralph can identify the players we need, and that we now have someone capable of securing the deals. Lets not have another summer of dither and bumbling.

Hopefully this no longer applies with Bunsen now long gone.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Athletic has done a piece on Leicester’s lack of signings:

Interesting that they note he’s on gardening leave until his contract is up after the window.

Yeah, I think we were pretty steadfast on keeping him out of Leicester until after the window shut.

But Leicesters lack of signings is more around their lack of money, they're in the same situation as we were/are. They had 1 or 2 bad transfer windows and it's killed them. Shows how quickly it can change, as their scouting was absolutely spot on 3 years ago and they were selling big/reinvesting that money well. But it's all gone wrong.

19 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Athletic has done a piece on Leicester’s lack of signings:

Interesting that they note he’s on gardening leave until his contract is up after the window.

Does gardening leave really stop Glover telling Leicester to buy a certain player before he joins them?

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

50 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I think we were pretty steadfast on keeping him out of Leicester until after the window shut.

But Leicesters lack of signings is more around their lack of money, they're in the same situation as we were/are. They had 1 or 2 bad transfer windows and it's killed them. Shows how quickly it can change, as their scouting was absolutely spot on 3 years ago and they were selling big/reinvesting that money well. But it's all gone wrong.

Yeah, the Glover thing was just one of the things listed.  It's an interesting article.

41 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Does gardening leave really stop Glover telling Leicester to buy a certain player before he joins them?

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Conversely, Shields being at a different club seemingly didn't stop him having input into our signings.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How would anyone know?

No idea, very hard to prove but i did know someone who was director of a company in my industry who was taken to court by his existing company whilst on garden leave because he had spoken to a customer of theirs so there are ways and means. I expect in a lot of cases it's not worth the hassle of following it up but you are still offically employed whilst on garden leave so should not do any work for anyone. I guess if we missed out of a target that went to Leciester then it might be some form of evidence but like i say, very hard to prove.