Non-Saints Games

whelk

Amazing how many can’t seem to enjoy it.

Didn’t want Liverpool or Spurs but two superb games. Some seem so angry but you have to respect what they have achieved

Sums it up well for me. If you can't admire the skill, drama and sporting magic of those two games then I feel sorry for you. Hoping for a great final and a Spurs win - really like Poch; seems like a genuine person; great Manager and Football mind and has a great loyalty/bond with his assistants who have been with him at Espanyol, Saints and now Tottenham. The number of ex-Saints players on show is another sub-text to look forward to.

The Les Reed Final

Could be a an all England Europa final too. Dominating Europe again

If Arsenal win the Europa it will mean 5 English teams in the CL next season.

Great, that’s all we need, the rich clubs getting even richer.

These type of games also show why its impossible to stop players moving to CL teams, its the pinnacle and where they all want a chance to play.

Our lads probably gutted that an Awards Night and open training session interupted their viewing of it!

These type of games also show why its impossible to stop players moving to CL teams, its the pinnacle and where they all want a chance to play.

Our lads probably gutted that an Awards Night and open training session interupted their viewing of it!

Well if they worked and played bloody better both this season and in the last then they can have their dream ‘CL move’!!!

Amazing how many can’t seem to enjoy it.

Didn’t want Liverpool or Spurs but two superb games. Some seem so angry but you have to respect what they have achieved

I think you'll find respect and enjoy are two very different concepts. The latter does not necessarily follow the former.

Great two teams with the biggest set of ******s for fans in the final who ever wins they are going to insufferable next season.

Pompey, Liverpool and spurs the three teams I hate the most can't stand seeing any of them doing well.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Not my favourite two teams but celebrated both winners as much as I would a saints goal. Football is incredible isn't it.

Can never understand statements like this, if you don't support either team why would you do that?

Can't stand Spurs or Liverpool, seeing them succeed gives me no enjoyment.

Can never understand statements like this, if you don't support either team why would you do that?

Can't stand Spurs or Liverpool, seeing them succeed gives me no enjoyment.

Be interesting to see the ages of folks who said they enjoyed that. As I posted yesterday once upon a time you would have been hating them with a passion in the league on Saturday, then cheering them on mid week in Europe as they were a British team against the foreign foe. Especially when you use to see the stunts pulled by the oppos when playing away both as England and a UK team in Europe. Like in the days of photographers massed behind the goal line, before digital camera photography, there would be 2-3 actual newspaper photographers the rest had cameras with no film in but pockets bulging with flashbulbs, every time a British team attacked their goal they would be snapping away in an attempt to dazzle the attack. That’s just not very British.

On the flip side - World cups of 74 and 78 no England, but Scotland were there, most England fans would have been rooting for the Scots, but like the odd comment coming up on here if England were the sole UK representation the Scots would have been cheering for whoever England would be playing.

These last 2 nights if you like Football for the game it is - it was very hard not to get caught up in the bizarre events that unfolded, then the fact that whilst the teams are peppered with foriegn players, the teams are English that won through.

Strangley in our house last night we cheered all the goals and groaned at all the misses with equal measure.

I think Spurs have a much better chance of beating Liverpool compared to Ajax.

Liverpool would have completely overwhelmed Ajax had they got through IMO

I'd have thought so as well. Ajax cracked pretty easily once Spurs rattled their bars a bit. Vastly overated by some because they have weaknesses that can be exploited by experienced players.

I'd have thought so as well. Ajax cracked pretty easily once Spurs rattled their bars a bit. Vastly overated by some because they have weaknesses that can be exploited by experienced players.

And Juventus, Real and Bayern aren’t some of the most experienced, cynical and wily teams around? :facepalm:

And Juventus, Real and Bayern aren’t some of the most experienced, cynical and wily teams around?

They surely are but with Blind at CB and Schone as a DM they are fragile if the opposition have the right kind of players. Llorente is kind of an old fashioned CF, he's a bit past it but he stood on Blind and let the rest of the Spurs side surge forward. In short he used his experience.

Didn't Ajax come from behind to beat Juventus ? Maybe Real as well. Perhaps they've not yet learnt to handle being ahead.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Sums it up well for me. If you can't admire the skill, drama and sporting magic of those two games then I feel sorry for you. Hoping for a great final and a Spurs win - really like Poch; seems like a genuine person; great Manager and Football mind and has a great loyalty/bond with his assistants who have been with him at Espanyol, Saints and now Tottenham. The number of ex-Saints players on show is another sub-text to look forward to.

I actually do feel a bit sorry for myself to be honest. These last two days have been sickening for me, and instead of being able to revel in the drama of 'football' (even though I don't BT, surprised at how many do!), I've been trying to take my mind off it because I cannot bear either of the teams playing.

On a slightly more rationale note though, I don't see how the big clubs doing well in Europe is helpful for the English game at all. The Premier League is already the richest and arguably best in the world, so it's not like their success is going to have any positive effects for the rest of the pyramid - no additional coefficients for lesser teams, no increased money and exposure for the rest of the league to help sign players etc. As aintforever says, the only thing it achieves is driving an even bigger wedge between the big clubs and the rest.

With the exception of Portsmouth, this is my worst nightmare of a final, and to rub salt in the wounds it's taking place on my birthday! Fortunately I'll be on holiday so can turn the phone off and try to forget it's even happening. But when it comes to picking a winner, I'll have to go with Spurs - quite an unthinkable scenario really. Reason is that for all their whining, I do find Tottenham fans to be a bit more self deprecating and likely to appreciate the occasion as a once in a lifetime moment. Maybe that will change afterwards, but for now at least you'll probably find their fans are more in the vein of "wow, we got to the final, can't believe it! We'll probably find a way to lose it in the last minute or something now though" rather than Liverpool fans who will be thinking "we are the greatest, this is the start of our dominance - and we so deserve it, everyone in the country is rooting for us!" Oh and also Pochettino might leave if they win it. Every cloud.

They surely are but with Blind at CB and Schone as a DM they are fragile if the opposition have the right kind of players. Llorente is kind of an old fashioned CF, he's a bit past it but he stood on Blind and let the rest of the Spurs side surge forward. In short he used his experience.

Didn't Ajax come from behind to beat Juventus ? Maybe Real as well. Perhaps they've not yet learnt to handle being ahead.

I think in both matches it was the big leads that affected the mindsets of the losing teams. When you know that the other team needs to score three goals you change the way that you approach the game. You tend to become more defensive and less aggressive and then when the opposition get a couple of goals back you end up dropping back on your own penalty area.

Remember February 2001, Saints away at Tranmere? I was at a referees meeting and the young chap in front of me received three texts during the first half as Saints went three ahead. Before I left the meeting Tranmere scored one. When I reached my car they had scored another. Before I got home they had equalised. I was just home in time to see the. Score their winner.

I think in both matches it was the big leads that affected the mindsets of the losing teams. When you know that the other team needs to score three goals you change the way that you approach the game. You tend to become more defensive and less aggressive and then when the opposition get a couple of goals back you end up dropping back on your own penalty area.

Remember February 2001, Saints away at Tranmere? I was at a referees meeting and the young chap in front of me received three texts during the first half as Saints went three ahead. Before I left the meeting Tranmere scored one. When I reached my car they had scored another. Before I got home they had equalised. I was just home in time to see the. Score their winner.

Now I'd say that Ajax didn't know how to defend a 3 goal lead against a side full of good players that had nothing left to lose.

Spurs came at them and they just didn't know what to do. Looked like they were still trying to score more goals. Barca just cracked from the start, played rough and got done at their own game.

Now I'd say that Ajax didn't know how to defend a 3 goal lead against a side full of good players that had nothing left to lose.

Spurs came at them and they just didn't know what to do. Looked like they were still trying to score more goals. Barca just cracked from the start, played rough and got done at their own game.

Yeah. 3-0 is a dangerous lead ;) Llorente made a big difference and gave Spurs an outlet ball that they didn’t have in the first half.

Barca just weren’t up to the intensity that they faced.

I actually do feel a bit sorry for myself to be honest. These last two days have been sickening for me, and instead of being able to revel in the drama of 'football' (even though I don't BT, surprised at how many do!), I've been trying to take my mind off it because I cannot bear either of the teams playing.

On a slightly more rationale note though, I don't see how the big clubs doing well in Europe is helpful for the English game at all. The Premier League is already the richest and arguably best in the world, so it's not like their success is going to have any positive effects for the rest of the pyramid - no additional coefficients for lesser teams, no increased money and exposure for the rest of the league to help sign players etc. As aintforever says, the only thing it achieves is driving an even bigger wedge between the big clubs and the rest.

With the exception of Portsmouth, this is my worst nightmare of a final, and to rub salt in the wounds it's taking place on my birthday! Fortunately I'll be on holiday so can turn the phone off and try to forget it's even happening. But when it comes to picking a winner, I'll have to go with Spurs - quite an unthinkable scenario really. Reason is that for all their whining, I do find Tottenham fans to be a bit more self deprecating and likely to appreciate the occasion as a once in a lifetime moment. Maybe that will change afterwards, but for now at least you'll probably find their fans are more in the vein of "wow, we got to the final, can't believe it! We'll probably find a way to lose it in the last minute or something now though" rather than Liverpool fans who will be thinking "we are the greatest, this is the start of our dominance - and we so deserve it, everyone in the country is rooting for us!" Oh and also Pochettino might leave if they win it. Every cloud.

Absolutely spot on and completely sums up my feelings too.

To be honest i actually want English clubs to go out of Europe as early as possible, the perfect thing would be to lose a Champions League spot (or two) as it means less money pouring into the league at the top and more competition for the league as their "star players" move to places that do have Champions League football.

I also find it deeply, deeply strange how you have Saints fans on social media (and to a lesser extent here) congratulating players that have left, or worse still trying act like it's in someway something positive for Saints.

Modern football fans are f*cking strange to be honest.

I am just proud that the Champions League final will be contested by so many players and managers with Saints connections. It was the same last year. An incredible achievement for us.
Not really an achievement is it? :lol:

An achievement would have been keeping hold of them and being there ourselves.

I am just proud that the Champions League final will be contested by so many players and managers with Saints connections. It was the same last year. An incredible achievement for us.

It doesn't really benefit us though does it these days, we're down in the doldrums losing most weeks and battling relegation consecutive years.

All it confirms is that we used to be well run and used to have a really good scouting setup, now days though it’s just a horror show with Ross running the show (it has been since he’s come in to be fair)

To be honest i actually want English clubs to go out of Europe as early as possible, the perfect thing would be to lose a Champions League spot (or two) as it means less money pouring into the league at the top and more competition for the league as their "star players" move to places that do have Champions League football.

I also find it deeply, deeply strange how you have Saints fans on social media (and to a lesser extent here) congratulating players that have left, or worse still trying act like it's in someway something positive for Saints.

Same, one fewer spot means one of the big clubs missing out. It was pretty close to happening a few years ago but last couple of years have turned around again. Shame.

The best thing is that they all bugger off to their European Super League Utopia and leave the rest of us to it (with caveats of how the league should respond to such a breakaway of course).

this will no longer happen for the next 3-5 years I think.

UEFA now guarantee a Champions League Group Stage Spot to the top 4 teams in Germany, England and Spain and Italy.

(Even 4th place no longer have to go through qualifying)

All part of UEFAs plan really to make the CL a closed shop it seems.

I'm kind of hoping this new Europa League 2 takes off though and gives clubs like us a chance to play in Europe- for all the gloss of the Champions League and what not, it is the same 8 teams basically in the latter stages every year, bar the odd exception such as Ajax this season, Roma last and Monaco the year before.

This. I always support foreign sides in the CL apart from the odd occasion a team like Leicester get there.

As Saints fans the last thing we need is the big 6 getting even richer, it just makes the PL more of a pointless competition for clubs like us.

The only incredible achievement for us was how we managed to sell them, spend the money and end up with such a sh!te team.

So, since it will be two ‘English’ teams in the final which way will the commentators be biased?

Liverpool. although there is this concept of london press being spurs biased, i think it is outweighed by the love for Liverpool's fans and european history, the fact they have done it with hardly spending anything compared to Man city blah blah bleugh.

Was really hoping Ajax would go through, nothing against Spurs to be honest, they are out of the big 6 IMO the ones that are there more on merit and effort, not just raw spending. But Ajax winning a Champions League would have shown there is some soul left in modern football, not just a corporate entity that is very little about sport but about money these days. A team full of young players, many home grown, some 'rejects' from bigger leagues and on a budget that I think is smaller than Cardiffs would have been this year, would have been something quite remarkable. It would have been akin to Leicesters league win.

I also think they had more chance of beating Liverpool, Spurs are too familiar for Liverpool and I expect pool to brush them aside.

Sadly not to be.

Hope Spurs win it, like I said, less 'bought', I like more of their players, their fans are less annoying, the media loves them less and of course Poch, but can't see it, Liverpool are just a lot better than them.

God forbid City eff up at the weekend, the summer would be unbearable if Liverpool won both.

I'm plumping for Spurs, prefer them to Pool but it's a 50:50 game though.

TBH I don't really have a grudge against either.

If it was PFC, Everton or Leeds then that would be a different matter.........

I am torn now, as I dislike Liverpool and Spurs equally. Liverpool win and we get some more payment (I think). Spurs win and Pochettino leaves them (schadenfreude) - can't work out which I want. Both will be equally obnoxious winning it, and will bang on for years and years and years about it. So maybe on balance Liverpool.

Well, I particularly dislike Alli and Rose from Spurs, and Van D1ck, Lallana, and Lovren from Liverpool. I quite like Poch while the media's worship of Klopp annoys me.

On balance, I hope that a quantum vortex opens up in the middle of the stadium during the match and sucks both teams and all of their supporters into a different dimension.

Well, I particularly dislike Alli and Rose from Spurs, and Van D1ck, Lallana, and Lovren from Liverpool. I quite like Poch while the media's worship of Klopp annoys me.

On balance, I hope that a quantum vortex opens up in the middle of the stadium during the match and sucks both teams and all of their supporters into a different dimension.

Think most of their fans think thats happened to them already.................................................................along with a few of us along the way!

Was really hoping Ajax would go through, nothing against Spurs to be honest, they are out of the big 6 IMO the ones that are there more on merit and effort, not just raw spending. But Ajax winning a Champions League would have shown there is some soul left in modern football, not just a corporate entity that is very little about sport but about money these days. A team full of young players, many home grown, some 'rejects' from bigger leagues and on a budget that I think is smaller than Cardiffs would have been this year, would have been something quite remarkable. It would have been akin to Leicesters league win.

I also think they had more chance of beating Liverpool, Spurs are too familiar for Liverpool and I expect pool to brush them aside.

Sadly not to be.

Hope Spurs win it, like I said, less 'bought', I like more of their players, their fans are less annoying, the media loves them less and of course Poch, but can't see it, Liverpool are just a lot better than them.

God forbid City eff up at the weekend, the summer would be unbearable if Liverpool won both.

Technically Spurs's budget for new players this season has been £0

Technically Spurs's budget for new players this season has been £0
Think, spurs do not have the squad depth compared to liverpool and had more players deep into the world Cup compared to Liverpool.

Let alone not buying anyone this year

Same, one fewer spot means one of the big clubs missing out. It was pretty close to happening a few years ago but last couple of years have turned around again. Shame.

The best thing is that they all bugger off to their European Super League Utopia and leave the rest of us to it (with caveats of how the league should respond to such a breakaway of course).

You realise UEFA have locked down 4 places so no risk whatever the coefficient may reduce to?

This. I always support foreign sides in the CL apart from the odd occasion a team like Leicester get there.

As Saints fans the last thing we need is the big 6 getting even richer, it just makes the PL more of a pointless competition for clubs like us.

Love that someone thinks that if Utd don’t beat PSG little old Saints are going to close the gap.

I think it same miserable angry Brexit cnts who have no joy and just hatred and aggression so they are unable to enjoy great games. But Saints but Saints

Love that someone thinks that if Utd don’t beat PSG little old Saints are going to close the gap.

I think it same miserable angry Brexit cnts who have no joy and just hatred and aggression so they are unable to enjoy great games. But Saints but Saints

Of course each game is not going to make much difference but every million that gets thrown their way makes the gap a bit bigger, that is obvious.

I enjoy the great games, just enjoy them more when one of the big 6 are on the end of a stuffing.

Actually on reflection i did really enjoy the champions league escapades of our fellow Premier league teams, wonderful watching plucky Liverpool claiming glory against the odds, might stay at home sunday to follow the all important title decider games rather than our dead rubber v Huddersfield Town

Actually on reflection i did really enjoy the champions league escapades of our fellow Premier league teams, wonderful watching plucky Liverpool claiming glory against the odds, might stay at home sunday to follow the all important title decider games rather than our dead rubber v Huddersfield Town

Don’t forget to hate the World Cup too cos that isn’t Saints either.

I'm a saints fan but I'm also a football fan. The two champions league games were highly entertaining examples of football so I enjoyed watching them. I'd rather Liverpool didn't win anything so I definitely want spurs to win the final but I find it weird that someone would be so fixated on saints that they couldn't ever appreciate good games of football.