• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

The piece is full of holes - hard to believe it’s written by an acting civil servant who are usually more tempered in their language and rarely single out political sides. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s written by a spad.

Worth pointing out that it’s Brexiters who’ve primarily attacked the civil service ‘deep state’. In their twisted little universe, the civil service has done everything it can to frustrate Brexit -from cooking the numbers to stalling preparation for a no deal so as to weaken the UK’s negotiating hand.

I’ve no seen ‘remainers’ attack the civil service in nearly as vicious terms. Quite the opposite.

There is, however, an acknowledgment that WTO terms provide little continuity for the UK economy, so whatever precautions are taken will be inherently limited and that the effectiveness of the UK’s contingency planning depends to a large extent on others’ actions out of its control and this simple reality could make no deal very messy regardless of the civil service’s best efforts.

Edited by shurlock

Not sure what your point is Les. There are more or less orderly ways to leave the EU. Reverting to the WTO terms without a transitional deal; uncertainty around bilateral agreements that underpin even the most bareboned trading relationships and ad hoc, necessarily imperfect preparations are pretty much the definition of crashing out pal.

I can quite understand why the use of the phrase "crashing out" didn't register in your brain as being shrill and biased, Shurlock. But it seems that many others must have complained to the BBC about it, because when I listened to the Radio2 news later on, they simply referred to it as leaving without a deal.

It seems to have gone right over your and Shurlock's head that these are independent newspapers, whereas the BBC is our national broadcaster whose news items are supposed to be neutral.

Did I say that they weren't? I said independent, not impartial, which is what the BBC is supposed to be and isn't.

What do you think of John Humphrys Les? I know you were berating him for his disgusting anti-Brexit bias the other week but wonder if you still hold that view?

It seems to have gone right over your and Shurlock's head that these are independent newspapers, whereas the BBC is our national broadcaster whose news items are supposed to be neutral.

Not the point. If the pro-Brexit press is freely using the phrase that undermines your assertion that it implies a bias against Brexit.

Not the point. If the pro-Brexit press is freely using the phrase that undermines your assertion that it implies a bias against Brexit.
Not that I want to get involved in this dispute but I'm not sure pro brexit is the best label to give the Mail since their change of editor. Its more pro Theresa May than anything else.

Exactly the point. What you idiots don't seem to acknowledge is the difference between articles written by journalists as opinion pieces in independent newspapers and news items in a supposedly politically neutral national media organ. But if you lot are not bright enough to recognise that difference, then more fool you. Anyway, as I already pointed out, when I heard the news later in the day, they had dropped the "crashing out" bias, probably because many others had picked it up and complained, as I did.

Exactly the point. What you idiots don't seem to acknowledge is the difference between articles written by journalists as opinion pieces in independent newspapers and news items in a supposedly politically neutral national media organ. But if you lot are not bright enough to recognise that difference, then more fool you. Anyway, as I already pointed out, when I heard the news later in the day, they had dropped the "crashing out" bias, probably because many others had picked it up and complained, as I did.

Power to the people. Did you get many letters published on ‘Points of View’?

Had a fun conversation over Christmas with some of the other half's Brexit voting family, complaining that they can't afford to go on holiday next year as the prices have increased over the last few years. Found it very amusing to point out the reasons for that, and that they only have themselves to blame.

Why would they dare to want to go abroad ?

Don't they know that "They got their country back " ???

Had a fun conversation over Christmas with some of the other half's Brexit voting family, complaining that they can't afford to go on holiday next year as the prices have increased over the last few years. Found it very amusing to point out the reasons for that, and that they only have themselves to blame.

#didnthappen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they didn't invite you back next year then you couldn't really blame them. I have had to deal with my fair share of ignorant, intolerant and insufferable relatives over the holiday period so I know how they feel. Let them know they have my sympathy.

It most definitely did - last night in fact.

Last night wasn’t “over Christmas”.

D’oh!

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution

Take a bow for the new revolution

Smile and grin at the change all around

Pick up my guitar and play

Just like yesterday

Then I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again

And what is the last line ?

"Meet the new boss,

same as the old boss".

Pete Townshend said of the song "it screams defiance at those who feel any cause is better than no cause", and it's lyrics criticise both revolution and power.

Edited by badgerx16

You probably offend them quite a lot. It's your nature to be offensive.

We try not to see them TBH, they're racist xenophobes. Last nights quote was along the lines of "You should go to Krakow, it's really nice and the people are surprisingly nice - not like the filth you get over here."

It's why they got relegated to after Christmas.

So here's something else for Jihadist f u cknuts to kvetch about. The Guardian has spoken to sectoral experts and come up with an overall picture of the huge amount of damage that will be done by crashing out of the EU with no deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/30/food-prices-to-finance-what-a-no-deal-brexit-could-mean-for-britain

This is far from a complete list. The impact on universities, scientific and technological research and climate change are absent, for example - as are the impacts on cultural activities (remember that the culture industries in the UK are the second largest sector behind finance).

Even so, it's going to be a real memory-lane experience for the majority of Brexiters who remember post-war rationing. And it's a lovely illustration of how EU states are cherry-picking some of the best bits of our economy, as British firms move large lumps of their operations across the border.

What's not to like?

So here's something else for Jihadist f u cknuts to kvetch about. The Guardian has spoken to sectoral experts and come up with an overall picture of the huge amount of damage that will be done by crashing out of the EU with no deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/30/food-prices-to-finance-what-a-no-deal-brexit-could-mean-for-britain

This is far from a complete list. The impact on universities, scientific and technological research and climate change are absent, for example - as are the impacts on cultural activities (remember that the culture industries in the UK are the second largest sector behind finance).

Even so, it's going to be a real memory-lane experience for the majority of Brexiters who remember post-war rationing. And it's a lovely illustration of how EU states are cherry-picking some of the best bits of our economy, as British firms move large lumps of their operations across the border.

What's not to like?

More Project Fear fairy tales from a biased source. ( Did I get that right Wes ? ).

More Project Fear fairy tales from a biased source. ( Did I get that right Wes ? ).

No doubt. The whining is beyond predictable now. If it's not having a full-on snowflake freak-out about the entirely justifiable phrase 'crashing out', then it's what counts or does not count as Christmas. Christ, the Brexit cultists are weird.

But I think remoaners should own Project Fear. In the fairly normal course of my work I do a lot of project fear, aka risk assessments. It's what you do to try to avoid the worst outcome. And it's why the predictions about risk often don't come to fruition - because your awareness of them has shown ways of mitigating the worst effects.

Brexit cultists, however, do the opposite of what's rational. They refuse even to look at projections of bad outcomes. They sneer at experts. The consequences are that bad outcomes aren't mitigated, and the Brexit cultists are digging their own - and others' graves even deeper than would be necessary if they only just, for once, listened.

It's why, objectively, they are so execrable.

No doubt. The whining is beyond predictable now. If it's not having a full-on snowflake freak-out about the entirely justifiable phrase 'crashing out', then it's what counts or does not count as Christmas. Christ, the Brexit cultists are weird.

But I think remoaners should own Project Fear. In the fairly normal course of my work I do a lot of project fear, aka risk assessments. It's what you do to try to avoid the worst outcome. And it's why the predictions about risk often don't come to fruition - because your awareness of them has shown ways of mitigating the worst effects.

Brexit cultists, however, do the opposite of what's rational. They refuse even to look at projections of bad outcomes. They sneer at experts. The consequences are that bad outcomes aren't mitigated, and the Brexit cultists are digging their own - and others' graves even deeper than would be necessary if they only just, for once, listened.

It's why, objectively, they are so execrable.

As we all know with risk, it's the planning and mitigation of that risk that defines the outcome.

At the moment it seems like there is very little in the way of either.

Why don't you get your fun and amusement at Christmas watching Morecambe and Wise and being nice at Christmas like everyone else.

Why don't you get your fun and amusement at Christmas watching Morecambe and Wise and being nice at Christmas like everyone else.

I am nice to most people, as most people I know voted remain. I reserve my nastiness to this that most deserve it, the low life scum that voted to make my children worse off in life. Those are the people that I will reserve my ire for, and for whom I wish nothing more than pestilence, grief and poverty.

Or something along those lines.

Anyone else losing faith that the people in charge don’t seem to have the faintest idea what they are doing.

LOSING faith ? It's been a cast iron certainty that those in charge haven't had a scooby, since Cameron tabled the proposal for the referendum in the first place.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction