• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Had a fun conversation over Christmas with some of the other half's Brexit voting family, complaining that they can't afford to go on holiday next year as the prices have increased over the last few years. Found it very amusing to point out the reasons for that, and that they only have themselves to blame.

It most definitely did - last night in fact.

So they’re complaining about the price going up “over the last few years”. Few is clearly more than 2, otherwise you’d have said “last couple of years”. So how on Earth is Brexit to blame for the “last few years”.I go away 4 times a year, and have done so for the past 6 or 7 years and have noticed no particular increase other than inflation. Some places are more expensive because of certain factors but others, Greece in particular, are cheaper in relative terms than they were. Have these people heard of the internet and shopping around.

My moneys still on #didnthappen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am nice to most people, as most people I know voted remain. I reserve my nastiness to this that most deserve it, the low life scum that voted to make my children worse off in life. Those are the people that I will reserve my ire for, and for whom I wish nothing more than pestilence, grief and poverty.

Or something along those lines.

You really need to go and see a shrink. You have a screw loose. Tell your children to emigrate to the EU, the land of milk and honey, as their chances are ruined in the UK and they won't have to put up with the 52% of their fellow countrymen that have ruined their futures. Or something like that.

I am nice to most people, as most people I know voted remain. I reserve my nastiness to this that most deserve it, the low life scum that voted to make my children worse off in life. Those are the people that I will reserve my ire for, and for whom I wish nothing more than pestilence, grief and poverty.

You vote to remain in a Union that wants to bring in Article 13.

Its that kind of protectionist rubbish, proposed by an unelected commission, that will make your children worse off.

Wow, you need help. There is something wrong with you for wishing that on someone just for having a different political opinion.

So they’re complaining about the price going up “over the last few years”. Few is clearly more than 2, otherwise you’d have said “last couple of years”. So how on Earth is Brexit to blame for the “last few years”.I go away 4 times a year, and have done so for the past 6 or 7 years and have noticed no particular increase other than inflation. Some places are more expensive because of certain factors but others, Greece in particular, are cheaper in relative terms than they were. Have these people heard of the internet and shopping around.

My moneys still on #didnthappen.

The exchange rate has been dreadful since Brexit vote as lack of confidence in the pound.

Not notice or just an all inclusive sort who doesn’t leave the hotel?

He wrote “ last few years” , not “last two years”.

He probably meant the last 2 and a half years since the day of the Brexit vote when the pound rapidly fell by 20 % against the a dollar and the euro and has never recovered.

Mind you current exchange rates will look unbelievably good if we crash out of the eu with no deal.

It was 1.08 in 2009 and nobody wet their pants and stopped going abroad. It’s swings and roundabouts. Try Greece, because of their membership of the EU the country’s ****ed and you can eat and drink dirt cheap, a lot cheaper than a decade ago.

Bloody soft arsed remoaners should grow a backbone and stop being little Europeans. There is a big wide world out there, embrace it. Leaving The EU is not the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Mind you current exchange rates will look unbelievably good if we crash out of the eu with no deal.

"crash"

You've even gone for the dodgy terminology. Constructed because "leaving" didn't sound bad enough.

We simply leave and start trading on different terms.

"crash"

You've even gone for the dodgy terminology. Constructed because "leaving" didn't sound bad enough.

Do you agree that there are better or worse, more orderly or disorderly ways to leave the EU or are they all just different ways to start trading with the EU?

"crash"

Just as shooting someone dead is allowing them to live on different terms.

Jihadists trying to control the use of the English language to prevent the plain truth of their economic suicide mission is hilariously futile.

The way to have left would have been to competely disconnect and negotiate back into things both parties wanted us involved in.

By trying to faff around with the wires still connected is how There's May has let Olly Robbins get us into this mess.

And still it is those who still want to remain under any circumstances use the strongest language they can.

Its obviously because their arguments, on normal terms using standard language, would be competely ineffectual.

The way to have left would have been to competely disconnect and negotiate back into things both parties wanted us involved in.

By trying to faff around with the wires still connected is how There's May has let Olly Robbins get us into this mess.

And still it is those who still want to remain under any circumstances use the strongest language they can.

Its obviously because their arguments, on normal terms using standard language, would be competely ineffectual.

No only a complete halfwit would choose to weaken their negotiating hand and then think they would be able to negotiate better terms :lol:

No only a complete halfwit would choose to weaken their negotiating hand and then think they would be able to negotiate better terms [emoji38]
The better bit comes from being out side the EU not beholden to their ludicrous rules.

Other than that we negotiate for mutually beneficial deals on a case by case nature.

If its not mutually beneficial, you don't bother with the deals.

Just as shooting someone dead is allowing them to live on different terms.

Jihadists trying to control the use of the English language to prevent the plain truth of their economic suicide mission is hilariously futile.

You get the prize for the crap analogy again. You surpass yourself once more. I'm in awe of your ability to come out with ever more bizarre ripostes, I take my cap off to you, you're truly the master of it.

No-deal Brexit ferry contract sparks concerns http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46714984

Anyone else losing faith that the people in charge? Don’t seem to have the faintest idea what they are doing.

We're taking back control by paying millions of pounds to French and Dutch ferry companies and the one British company involved doesn't have any ships and have never operated a ferry service.

Looks like another wizard wheeze by Failing Grayling.

The better bit comes from being out side the EU not beholden to their ludicrous rules.

Other than that we negotiate for mutually beneficial deals on a case by case nature.

If its not mutually beneficial, you don't bother with the deals.

You mean we blithely ignore 40 years of economic and regulatory interdependence and get to have our cake and eat it.

Good lad.

No only a complete halfwit would choose to weaken their negotiating hand and then think they would be able to negotiate better terms :lol:

I agree with you completely. May is a halfwit. She has indeed weakened her negotiating hand at every turn and deludes herself that she will be able still to negotiate reasonable terms. She started out well enough by talking the talk, that no deal is better than a bad deal. The implied threat that one would be prepared to walk away from a deal if it was not satisfactory is basic negotiating stuff. But she had already made the catastrophic error of allowing the EU to set the agenda. We should have insisted that a trade deal should be discussed first, not after the Irish border, the payment into the EU slush fund and the settlement of the immigration question of EU and UK citizens.

Whether she ended up in the situation of trying to push through quite the worst possible deal in preference to no deal by incompetence, by accident, or by design, is debatable. She further backed herself into a corner by stating that no other deal was on the table, when what she was proposing was not even a deal anyway, but merely a pretext to a potential deal a couple of years down the road, for which a payment of £39 billion would be required to begin the process with no guarantee that anything would come of it.

From a negotiating perspective, Nolan is entirely correct, that we would have had a far stronger hand from demonstrating our willingness to leave under WTO terms right from the start. It is ironic though that the default position of leaving under WTO terms will take place on 29th March 2019 unless we reach agreement with the EU on a transition period towards a trade deal with them before then. May's "deal" won't get through Parliament, so unless we ask for an extension to Article 50, or drop Brexit altogether, both of which would trigger widespread civil unrest, we are out on that date.

Under the current circumstances with all of the hassle over the transition period and the probability that even then we will not emerge with a good deal, the WTO option is the most attractive outcome for our future prosperity, unless a Canada +++ deal can be agreed at the last minute, which is extremely unlikely. It is comforting to believe that there is a good chance that if the remoaners in the UK are sh*tting themselves as the clock runs down, that the EU is also doing the same. I suspect that most Brexiteers are quite sanguine about it all, and see leaving under WTO terms to be the preferred and proper Brexit option anyway.

I agree with you completely. May is a halfwit. She has indeed weakened her negotiating hand at every turn and deludes herself that she will be able still to negotiate reasonable terms. She started out well enough by talking the talk, that no deal is better than a bad deal. The implied threat that one would be prepared to walk away from a deal if it was not satisfactory is basic negotiating stuff. But she had already made the catastrophic error of allowing the EU to set the agenda. We should have insisted that a trade deal should be discussed first, not after the Irish border, the payment into the EU slush fund and the settlement of the immigration question of EU and UK citizens.

Whether she ended up in the situation of trying to push through quite the worst possible deal in preference to no deal by incompetence, by accident, or by design, is debatable. She further backed herself into a corner by stating that no other deal was on the table, when what she was proposing was not even a deal anyway, but merely a pretext to a potential deal a couple of years down the road, for which a payment of £39 billion would be required to begin the process with no guarantee that anything would come of it.

From a negotiating perspective, Nolan is entirely correct, that we would have had a far stronger hand from demonstrating our willingness to leave under WTO terms right from the start. It is ironic though that the default position of leaving under WTO terms will take place on 29th March 2019 unless we reach agreement with the EU on a transition period towards a trade deal with them before then. May's "deal" won't get through Parliament, so unless we ask for an extension to Article 50, or drop Brexit altogether, both of which would trigger widespread civil unrest, we are out on that date.

Under the current circumstances with all of the hassle over the transition period and the probability that even then we will not emerge with a good deal, the WTO option is the most attractive outcome for our future prosperity, unless a Canada +++ deal can be agreed at the last minute, which is extremely unlikely. It is comforting to believe that there is a good chance that if the remoaners in the UK are sh*tting themselves as the clock runs down, that the EU is also doing the same. I suspect that most Brexiteers are quite sanguine about it all, and see leaving under WTO terms to be the preferred and proper Brexit option anyway.

Jesus wept.

So, we jump off the cliff, then having hit, ( crashed into ? ), the shingle at the bottom we start to work out how far back up we want to climb ?

Yes, but as I said, only 8% of businesses trade with the EU, but 100% of them have to obey all their rules.

No, they only have to comply with the rules that affect them. And amongst your 92% of businesses, how many are people selling trinkets on EBay, or running stalls at car boot sales ?

Edited by badgerx16

No, they only have to comply with the rules that affect them. And amongst your 92% of businesses, how many are people selling trinkets on EBay, or running stalls at car boot sales ?

Of course they only have to comply with the rules that affect them. You don't have to obey parking rules if you don't have a caror any other form of transport, or to have a TV license if you don't have a TV. Regarding your examples, I have no idea. Do you? Are they a great business presence in the scheme of things?

"crash"

If the phrase is goof enough to be used by members of Her Majesty's government it is good enough to be used by "even" me.

Jesus wept.

Do you think that May's "deal" will go through? Will there be any other "deal" proposed? Will there be an extension of Article 50, or will it be rescinded? Or will we leave on WTO terms on 29th March?

What exactly do you think will happen? I don't believe that you have ever told us, but as we are getting close to the deadline, perhaps it is time to hear from you.

Regarding your examples, I have no idea. Do you? Are they a great business presence in the scheme of things?

They probably aren't a 'great presence in the scheme of things', but they help to swell the numbers of your 92% of businesses. When, ( if ), we leave the EU, they won't be trading within any of our new trade agreements either, but will probably be bound by any UK legislative changes brought in to satisfy these agreements.

Canada deal would mean a hard border in Ireland are you happy with that?

By the way May's red lines no hard border in Ireland no free movement means the only deal possible is May's deal and is that acceptable to you especially as it is bad for trade and investment and there has to be a backstop in the island of Ireland.

No deal is not acceptable to Parliament as it will cause so much economic meltdown unemployment and ultimately social unrest

Canada deal would mean a hard border in Ireland are you happy with that?

By the way May's red lines no hard border in Ireland no free movement means the only deal possible is May's deal and is that acceptable to you especially as it is bad for trade and investment and there has to be a backstop in the island of Ireland.

No deal is not acceptable to Parliament as it will cause so much economic meltdown unemployment and ultimately social unrest

Why would the Canada plus deal mean a hard border? There will be a free trade agreement between the UK and the EU. We have stated that we don't want a hard border there, the Irish don't want one, nor do the EU. Who is therefore going to put one in place? Of course there is already a border in place there now. There is no reason why Max Facs modern technology could not be employed to overcome any problems that have mostly been manufactured purely to prevent Brexit.

Your second paragraph is a load of cobblers. What exactly is May's deal? Chequers isn't acceptable to the EU, but they have offered us Canada plus. Why would they do that if it wasn't feasible with the Irish border question?

I realise that no deal is unacceptable to Parliament, which comprises a majority of remoaner MPs intent on ignoring the wishes of the electorate. If they do that, then that will be the cause of massive civil unrest. You don't seem to realise that. A WTO Brexit will not cause anywhere near the economic meltdown and unemployment that you think it will. This sort of scaremongering was predicted just if we voted to leave and look how they got that massively wrong.

The hard border that Leo Varadker has said that Ireland will never ever put up.

Didn't he say that the Irish Government were not planning for a hard border, as in that case it would become a self-fulfilling prophesy ? Has he not also said that in the case of a 'no deal' Brexit, a hard border was inevitable ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/21/ireland-has-no-plans-in-place-for-hard-border-after-brexit-varadkar

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/leo-varadkar-hard-border-very-likely-with-no-deal-brexit-h5v6w2w5p

Why would the Canada plus deal mean a hard border? There will be a free trade agreement between the UK and the EU. We have stated that we don't want a hard border there, the Irish don't want one, nor do the EU. Who is therefore going to put one in place? Of course there is already a border in place there now. There is no reason why Max Facs modern technology could not be employed to overcome any problems that have mostly been manufactured purely to prevent Brexit.

Your second paragraph is a load of cobblers. What exactly is May's deal? Chequers isn't acceptable to the EU, but they have offered us Canada plus. Why would they do that if it wasn't feasible with the Irish border question?

I realise that no deal is unacceptable to Parliament, which comprises a majority of remoaner MPs intent on ignoring the wishes of the electorate. If they do that, then that will be the cause of massive civil unrest. You don't seem to realise that. A WTO Brexit will not cause anywhere near the economic meltdown and unemployment that you think it will. This sort of scaremongering was predicted just if we voted to leave and look how they got that massively wrong.

Max facs :lol:

Do you think that May's "deal" will go through? Will there be any other "deal" proposed? Will there be an extension of Article 50, or will it be rescinded? Or will we leave on WTO terms on 29th March?

What exactly do you think will happen? I don't believe that you have ever told us, but as we are getting close to the deadline, perhaps it is time to hear from you.

Shurlock declines to answer the invitation to express his opinion on what the Brexit outcome will be. It is far easier to just post Jesus wept when somebody else does, isn't it?

Come on, give us your pearls of wisdom answers to the questions I asked.

2019 Political odds(Ladbrokes):

1/2 Theresa May replaced as PM

5/4 New EU Referendum

6/4 General Election

2/1 Corbyn replaced as Labour leader

3/1 UK leaves EU with NO DEAL before 1st April

3/1 Trump replaced as POTUS

4/1 Corbyn becomes PM

33/1 Two or more general elections

2019 Political odds(Ladbrokes):

1/2 Theresa May replaced as PM

5/4 New EU Referendum

6/4 General Election

2/1 Corbyn replaced as Labour leader

3/1 UK leaves EU with NO DEAL before 1st April

3/1 Trump replaced as POTUS

4/1 Corbyn becomes PM

33/1 Two or more general elections

None of that will happen

He said the same thing in multiple ways over the last 18 months.

There will be no hard border.

It was/is obvious there would be no hard border. It was a clear bit of leverage the EU tried to used (amongst others)

Only have to go back a handful of pages on here for people harping on about the inevitable hard border being put up and a some saying a return to the troubles

‘Jesus wept’

As for 2019...

We will leave the EU

May will remain PM

Corbyn will remain labour leader

Trump will remain president

The world will keep on turning

Shurlock declines to answer the invitation to express his opinion on what the Brexit outcome will be. It is far easier to just post Jesus wept when somebody else does, isn't it?

Come on, give us your pearls of wisdom answers to the questions I asked.

Will you tell us the answer to a question I've asked that you've ignored. How many jobs lost would make you change your mind about Brexit? 10,000...100,000...1,000,000? More?

A true Jihadist can't respond, or put a number on it, because their deontological fundamentalism leads them to think that any number of people's livelihoods can be sacrificed for the goal.

It was/is obvious there would be no hard border. It was a clear bit of leverage the EU tried to used (amongst others)

Only have to go back a handful of pages on here for people harping on about the inevitable hard border being put up and a some saying a return to the troubles

‘Jesus wept’

As for 2019...

We will leave the EU

May will remain PM

Corbyn will remain labour leader

Trump will remain president

The world will keep on turning

How could trump possibly remain president in the face of the global earthquake caused by brexit? It's inconceivable.

There will be no survivors.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction