Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

I don't think I'd put Boufal into the "inexplicable failure" list. Of course there are aspects that mean our scouts got it wrong (I'm not sure Boufal was to please Puel btw), but you can't expect a 100% hit rate and you can surely see why we took a chance on him. Elyounoussi and Vestergaard are more recent signings who don't appear to be good enough, but are at least the TYPE of players we needed, as was Clasie. Hojbjerg and Redmond have taken a long time to come good, pretty sure there were people a year or two ago writing both of them off as never going to be good enough.

The "huge mistake" accusations should be reserved for Carillo and Forster's new contract. Jaw dropping moments for virtually everyone when they happened, not even in hindsight.

Nor would I, he was a decent punt doing a good job at Lille young a little raw still he probably ticked enough of the Black Box - boxes.

That said if you look at Fonte, who went off the boil with us then was a bit of car crash at West Ham, he has just ended a successful season with Lille. Which probably highlights the gap between Ligue 1 and the Premier League. Having gone from enjoying his football with rave reviews, Sofiane finds himself looking forward to the bright lights of the EPL, but find himself playing in an empty SMS with the under 23’s (anyone seeing his sending off can’t have failed to notice the sheer frustration in his action to have first go at the hot water). One thing that was noticeable under MoPe when Boufal did play his defensive play was much better, under Puel he played like it was not his job to defend, under MoPe to stand any chance of a game he knew he had to take defensive responsibilities seriously. So he is capable of adapting.

If Ralph thinks he will be receptive to his methods and can do a job for us then fair enough. If he Ends up going elsewhere it will be less of a failure of a signing more a failure of Saints to manage him and nurture a young talent. The lad obviously has ability, we have never seen, or saw, the merest potential of the goal he scored v WBA or the one v Sunderland from Juanmi, Moi, or Carrillo. (The latter even all us armchair experts went “what?!, who?!, how much???!!!”. So far he is a failure big enough to eclipse Ali Dia).

He’s more likely in the Cédric / Hoedt camp.

Reinforced by the fact that whie Cédric, Hoedt, Boufal and Reed were all added back to the OS first team profiles yesterday, Carillo (along with McQueen and Hesketh) was not. Lemina and Austin were already there, of course.

Boufal added in under his old squad number of 19 and Reed (who was 19 last season before he left on loan) at 20 - at least for now.

I have said a number of times, why do people think he's anything but that? Because he fell out with Hughes? Hughes is one of the most disliked people in football.

Pretty sure K Billy also said something similar a while ago. I've often thought his 'attitude' problem is more about wanting to impress, and often doing too much, rather than not being bothered (like Lemina). It frustrates me when people say he is lazy because - ironically - that is just a lazy stereotype of a flair player. I'm sure there are times where he doesn't, but more often than not he works to win the ball back, albeit sometimes a bit too hotheadedly!

Personally I hope he stays, of course it's up to him. The side he left was a losing side, with an absolute dinosaur of a manager with a track record of falling out with flair players. The side he has come back to is completely re-vitalised with a manager worlds apart from Hughes.

He has real quality, we all know that. With him, Redmond and Djenepo we have three very good wingers. If he wants to stay, I'm all for it.

I have said a number of times, why do people think he's anything but that? Because he fell out with Hughes? Hughes is one of the most disliked people in football.

I don't think it's ever been claimed that he is unpopular in the dressing room. The problems with his attitude tend to arise when things aren't going his way.

The acid test will be when he has a few poor games and is dropped or subbed off and how he responds to that. If he reacts like he did to MoPe, after his WBA goal, he will likely end up in A&E with a Ralph sized footprint in his forehead.

Big assumption which I don't think is right.

He was one of celta's better players last season as they fought for survival.

He was also on the bench for most of morrocco's games and came on and impressed.

His issue with MoPo was that everyone else played **** for ages but stayed in the team, but he had maybe 1 chance and if he didnt do something amazing was dropped next game.

It was 100% the manager.

Edited by Convict Colony

That's true, CiCi.

Boufal was raring to go, desperate to get back into the team to show the manager his skills. He finally got his chances, scored a wonder-goal. I loved his celebration myself. All that pent-up frustration released in one minute.

Pellegrino was a fool to drop him for that celebration.

He didn't. After that goal Boufal started 5 of the next 6 (and was only dropped for City away) and did absolutely bugger all.

The celebration was arrogant and disrespectful. Made worse by the fact that he had done nothing for about a year leading up to it and had no right to be demanding a starting spot.

He didn't. After that goal Boufal started 5 of the next 6 (and was only dropped for City away) and did absolutely bugger all.

The celebration was arrogant and disrespectful. Made worse by the fact that he had done nothing for about a year leading up to it and had no right to be demanding a starting spot.

Hadn't done anything? Other than score a couple of worldies, play better than most other players in his position, including Redmond at that point. Don't worry, you'll get a side of "one of our own" very soon.

Big assumption which I don't think is right.

He was one of celta's better players last season as they fought for survival.

He was also on the bench for most of morrocco's games and came on and impressed.

His issue with MoPo was that everyone else played **** for ages but stayed in the team, but he had maybe 1 chance and if he didnt do something amazing was dropped next game.

It was 100% the manager.

Yeh agree you can understand his frustration, its hardly like the rest of the team were setting a high bar.

It frustrates me when people say he is lazy because - ironically - that is just a lazy stereotype of a flair player. I'm sure there are times where he doesn't, but more often than not he works to win the ball back, albeit sometimes a bit too hotheadedly!

That I'd agree with. I never had cause to doubt his work ethic, although you could see the frustration in his body language, and decision making at times was a bit awry, but look at Redmond in the latter regard.

With Djenepo as well we could tire the defenders with one of them and then bring on the other. Hey, let's be optimistic!

I wonder what RH thinks of Harrison Reed now he's getting a close up look of him in Ireland?

That I'd agree with. I never had cause to doubt his work ethic, although you could see the frustration in his body language, and decision making at times was a bit awry, but look at Redmond in the latter regard.

With Djenepo as well we could tire the defenders with one of them and then bring on the other. Hey, let's be optimistic!

I wonder what RH thinks of Harrison Reed now he's getting a close up look of him in Ireland?

I suppose if Lemina goes & we don’t buy a replacement, Reed / Slattery / Smallbone can all fight for the spot.

The thing I'm edgy about is Ralph investing a lot of time in him rather than others (time is finite, although my old boss thought it wasn't when it came to doing more work), he then has a half decent season (not exceptional but decent) and then he walks away on a free to another club.

How would people feel if the club say to him, 'If you want back in to the fold then sign a one year extension on the same terms so we can work with you for a year and then review (sell or new contract), or go now'

?????

The thing I'm edgy about is Ralph investing a lot of time in him rather than others (time is finite, although my old boss thought it wasn't when it came to doing more work), he then has a half decent season (not exceptional but decent) and then he walks away on a free to another club.

How would people feel if the club say to him, 'If you want back in to the fold then sign a one year extension on the same terms so we can work with you for a year and then review (sell or new contract), or go now'

?????

He's contracted until 2021 so that's not really an issue at this stage.

Weird fascination with Boufal on here. He’s getting the ‘optimism’ treatment that Ramirez got. It’s weird. People are quick to make excuses and find reasons why he hasn’t performed. This is all based on feelings. People ‘feel’ there’s a player in there somewhere. Sell him. Quickly. He doesn’t deserved to get loads of chances.

Weird fascination with Boufal on here. He’s getting the ‘optimism’ treatment that Ramirez got. It’s weird. People are quick to make excuses and find reasons why he hasn’t performed. This is all based on feelings. People ‘feel’ there’s a player in there somewhere. Sell him. Quickly. He doesn’t deserved to get loads of chances.

The other argument is why take a haircut by selling him cheap and subsidizing his wages only to get in another Moi?

Yes he’s disappointed us, but it makes more sense for Ralph to take a look at him first and see if he can get him playing more like the player we thought we were getting.

Weird that some people clearly didn't see what he offered us. Are you in a position to have actually seen him play in the flesh??

Can we realistically get a player of Boufal's ability for £9m this late in the window?

No.

We've got a perfectly good player who has underperformed for us but now might do so under the right tutelage. Worth a shot IMO.

We're better putting our resources into finding a commanding CB, or we'll be leaking goals as fast as we score them. Again.

Weird that some people clearly didn't see what he offered us. Are you in a position to have actually seen him play in the flesh??
I've seen him and witnessed occasional moments of brilliance interspersed with hours of disappointing failure and lack of awareness of any other team members.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've seen him and witnessed occasional moments of brilliance interspersed with hours of disappointing failure and lack of awareness of any other team members.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You’d think that could be coached - it’s often no more than playing the simpler, earlier and more direct ball.

There is a player in there, anyone who's watched him has seen it. The goals he's scored, and his technical ability, are evidence of its needed. He's not been consistent though, but he's arguably not had a fair crack of the whip.

Personally I'd give him a go rather than sell him cheap or sending him out on loan. If he gets chances and doesn't step up then reassess in the Jan window. We've got nothing to lose in my opinion.

I recall times last season where we had Moi as pretty much our only 'creative' option on the bench. Its obvious to me that even a vaguely functioning Boufal would be a significant upgrade, so am basically in favour of keeping. Ok, we've already increased our options but we're a long way from having an embarrassment of riches.

That said, he's not a critical member of the squad and if selling him is the best way to raise the funds (and create squad space and wages in the budget) needed to fund a centre back then I'd happily sacrifice him.

I think Ralph could get a lot more out of him, but a first choice centre back is a far bigger priority imho.

I feel pretty much the same about Lemina.

Edited by Chewy
Typos and Lemina comment

I have seen him play yes. I’ve been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. My point is the fact that he gets such an easy ride just like Ramirez for no apparent reason. Saints fans latch on to a player every now and then and defend them for no clear reason. Why does he get an easier time of it than others? Some people were posting comments that made it seem like he was Ronaldo quality, completely over the top. I just don’t get it.

I have seen him play yes. I’ve been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. My point is the fact that he gets such an easy ride just like Ramirez for no apparent reason. Saints fans latch on to a player every now and then and defend them for no clear reason. Why does he get an easier time of it than others? Some people were posting comments that made it seem like he was Ronaldo quality, completely over the top. I just don’t get it.

I'm not sure why you think a 30 page thread, most of which is people saying he's **** and should leave is 'an easy ride'. Likewise, the only reason people were defending Ramirez is that so many others were writing him off. This in itself should be instructive. In the hierarchy of football, you have those players who are self-evidently great enough to receive universal admiration; next down you have the players who are inconsistent, who attract both admirers and detractors; finally you have the great mass of cloggers whose careers are measured in a handful of moments, either positive or negative, but seldom enough to actually have a long argument over.

Boufal, Ramirez and plenty of other polarising players at other clubs are all in the second category. If they were in the first, they almost certainly wouldn't be playing for us.

I get the impression that Boufal needs to be wanted/loved/appreciated. Hughes isn't the sort to do that and not sure Pellegrino was either.

Ralph is a MAN manager, the others were football managers, probably a ship pole as that. All the crap about controlling the controllables and so on with. no ideas about how to motivate and gel a team ethic.

Ralph is a MAN manager, the others were football managers, probably a ship pole as that. All the crap about controlling the controllables and so on with. no ideas about how to motivate and gel a team ethic.

This has probably been said but Pellegrino and Hughes were dreadful managers and wouldn't have got a tune out of many talented players. Ralph is obviously different (see already how Redmond and JWP have come on) so if anyone can get his attitude and performances right he's in the right place

Having said that clearly its up to the lad himself how much much he wants to work ....

30 pages or so of people writing him off. You do realise there are other online platforms don’t you? He’s getting a lot of support elsewhere.

This summer's exciting signings (Djenepo /Adams) will be the forum rejects ( Boufal) in two years time. It's always been that way.

He gets both an easier time and a hard time, because he's a flair player. They're rare and in this country, we like to coach it out of players... Make them into boring, zero personality, physical hard working machines. God forbid a player with a bit of attitude and skill comes along. Boufal has had ****e managers. An inexperienced one and a dinosaur. He needs a manager who gives him an idea of team play, puts an arm around him and let's him do his thing. Oh we have that now... There's also obsession with comparing players to others and that every player has to be in the first 11. Having a weapon like boufal either on the bench or starting...doesnt matter as long as he performs well when he does.

Other flair players who weren't allowed to express themselves....

Gaston

Guly

Redmond

Osvaldo (bit of a nutter granted)

Apart from Le Tiss, Zola, Cantona, David Silva, Joe Cole, Robben, Bergkamp, Ginola, Ronaldo, Pahars, Salah, Di Canio, Hazard, Pires, Ljunberg, Okocha, Van Der Vaart, Scholes, Juninho, Eriksen, De Bruyne and several dosen others.

I don't get your point with those four players not being 'allowed to express themselves'. If Poch could get a tune out of Gaston/Osvaldo I don't know who you think can. Likewise Guly, who played in the most goal happy dominant team we've ever had under Adkins. If he isn't expressing himself when we're basically winning two leagues back to back, I don't know when he's supposed to. Redmond's problem was confidence more than anything and never having a decent striker to work with.

Haha! You've just named most of the best players in world football...2 of which we were lucky to have a saints.

My point is that as soon as a flair player has a dip in form or maybe a few things don't come off on a match day, fans are quick to get on their backs. Players like Boufal are entertainers. They are few and far between now. To have a player like that, at our level, can be a great thing... With a manager like RH at the helm.

Redmond wasn't allowed to express himself - just ask him or Pep.

Tadic lost confidence because of it.

Boufal did.

I stand by my point.

That's my point though, there have been countless successful flair players in England and we don't try and coach it out of them. If they all came here and we told to "get back and defend, let him know you're there, stick it in the mixer FFS!" I'd agree with you but we don't. Every team needs a flare player, it's just that some are a lot better than others.

Maybe some fans do get on their backs but that's a different point. I'll bet 99% of fans want these players to create chances, some just don't have the patience that comes with it. Managers don't drag them back into the dressing room at half time and show them videos of Lee Cattermole.

Pep told Redmond he had to believe in himself more, not that the manager was stopping him from playing.

Tadic said himself he didn't like the physicality and fixture intensity of the Premier League. We never told him to stop trying to create, Premier League defenses were just much better at stopping him than Willem II and Gronigen.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Ramirez was pretty good under Adkins as a central attacking midfielder (3 goals and 3 assists in 15 games), he just wasn't physically or mentally capable of adapting to Poch's pressing game or to playing out wide.

Redmond was terrible under Pellegrino. He seemed to only be allowed to stay wide and recycle the ball infield for shots taken around the edge of the penalty area. It was as if he was told not to commit forward or risk the ball by taking anyone on.

Boufal has great skill with the football and he works hard, but he tries to do too much by himself and has an annoying habit of beating the same player 2-3 times then losing the ball.

I'm fine with him staying if Ralph wants him and believes he can improve him in that respect as I do enjoy watching him play, but I wouldn't be that upset if he left if Ralph wants to strengthen the squad in other areas.