Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

The latest rumour is that someone very high up at our club is shall we say being economical with the truth yet again about a player he wants to sell in an attempt to push him out and that in reality Fonte has not handed in a transfer request at all.

An unsubstantiated bit of gossip that you are happy to spread. Fonte has had plenty of time to refute the transfer request story but hasn't.

Personally as in , in my opinion only .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Jeez. If it is "well known", as you said, then you are claiming it is an established fact. In which case, it is not your "opinion". It is one thing, or the other, but not both.

So—again—what is your evidence? Or do you think it is OK to call someone a bare-faced liar just because you present it as your "opinion"?

If you don't have any evidence, you should retract your "opinion".

Jeez. If it is "well known", as you said, then you are claiming it is an established fact. In which case, it is not your "opinion". It is one thing, or the other, but not both.

So—again—what is your evidence? Or do you think it is OK to call someone a bare-faced liar just because you present it as your "opinion"?

If you don't have any evidence, you should retract your "opinion".

Or not. I take it there is no freedom of speech in your part of North America. And as far as I can see it's as much to do with you as it is with me as it is with the ghost of Christmas Past i.e. nothing so I fail to see what it is that you are getting so annoyed about.

#insert players name , will not be sold . 3 days later the player has been sold .

Les Reed does it constantly

Him and every chairman of every sports team ever. The best way to get the best price for something; Step 1 - it's not for sale. He's no different from any car dealer or estate agent.

More fool you for taking statements like that seriously.

Him and every chairman of every sports team ever. The best way to get the best price for something; Step 1 - it's not for sale. He's no different from any car dealer or estate agent.

More fool you for taking statements like that seriously.

Plenty on here take his word as gospel . Does that make them fools also ?

Plenty on here take his word as gospel . Does that make them fools also ?

err duh yeah. Football clubs, footballers, every company trying to sell you something, politicians, your boss, your wife just about every ****er on the planet is spinning you line believe any of it at your own risk....

Or not. I take it there is no freedom of speech in your part of North America. And as far as I can see it's as much to do with you as it is with me as it is with the ghost of Christmas Past i.e. nothing so I fail to see what it is that you are getting so annoyed about.

My, my, my. Of course there is freedom of speech in North America, but it is not an absolute right—it is restricted by laws dealing with treason, sedition, blasphemous and defamatory libel, disruption of religious worship, hate propaganda, spreading false news, public mischief, obscenity, indecency and other forms.

In Canadian law defamatory libel is a "matter published, without lawful justification or excuse, that is likely to injure the reputation of any person by exposing him to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or that is designed to insult the person of or concerning whom it is published."

I consider it likely that there are similar laws in the UK dealing with defamatory libel.

To write on a public internet forum that a prominent figure in a widely-followed organization is "well known for lying through his teeth", and then to try to defend that statement by saying it is merely an opinion, with no apparent basis in fact, is defamation. Pure and simple. If you can't see that, well that's your problem.

HTH

My, my, my. Of course there is freedom of speech in North America, but it is not an absolute right—it is restricted by laws dealing with treason, sedition, blasphemous and defamatory libel, disruption of religious worship, hate propaganda, spreading false news, public mischief, obscenity, indecency and other forms.

In Canadian law defamatory libel is a "matter published, without lawful justification or excuse, that is likely to injure the reputation of any person by exposing him to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or that is designed to insult the person of or concerning whom it is published."

I consider it likely that there are similar laws in the UK dealing with defamatory libel.

To write on a public internet forum that a prominent figure in a widely-followed organization is "well known for lying through his teeth", and then to try to defend that statement by saying it is merely an opinion, with no apparent basis in fact, is defamation. Pure and simple. If you can't see that, well that's your problem.

HTH

This was a really good read thank you. I never thought that I would get a primer on Canadian defamation law on this forum.

Oh G's this is golden. Kermit calls King Reed a liar and the happies are now threatening him with defamation and hounding him for retractions.....

Les has told a few porkies in his time - his latest being VVD is not for sale - you then have all the he said, she said regards the timing of the Fonte transfer request and his supposide £80k a week contract which Fonte denied receiving.

We dont know all the ins and outs, but to make out Reed is whiter than white is ridiculous

You dont read many great things about Les, unless its a planted DM type Saints advert

Monk and Vman both have issues with him too and presume they know him/of him more than most on here

Reed said we had the best midfield options in the league, defend that one in court!

Pure bullsh*t thing to say by Reed, we all knew it, but it's an opinion I suppose ...

Back to topic, none of us actually know what is going in with Fonte and/or Les. The only facts appear to be a transfer request has been submitted and Jose may leave in the window after serving the club well. Like it or not or strength has, largely, came from being able to replace and recruit well (some may point to examples where replacements have not been to scratch but, speaking generally we tend to do better than most at this).

Thank you Jose. Who is next?

If Fonte no longer wants to play for Southampton it makes sense to get what fee is possible before he leaves for nothing at the end of his contract. Already, he is not the player he was a year ago which may be a combination of age and lack of commitment following the Man U rumour. Players come and go, but Saints go marching on. To me, it feels that it is time for Fonte to go.

This was a really good read thank you. I never thought that I would get a primer on Canadian defamation law on this forum.

Nor does it change the fact that when Les Reed speaks to the press about one of our players (in relation to transfer business), said player is invariably sold. :rolleyes:

If Fonte no longer wants to play for Southampton it makes sense to get what fee is possible before he leaves for nothing at the end of his contract. Already, he is not the player he was a year ago which may be a combination of age and lack of commitment following the Man U rumour. Players come and go, but Saints go marching on. To me, it feels that it is time for Fonte to go.

He was the best defender in the Euros by a mile. How anyone can see the bright side of him leaving is beyond me. He is head and shoulders above anyone in the squad who play in his position.

Well he's not head and shoulders above VvD is he. There is no debate he has been a great player for us.

Do I want Saints to extend the contract of a 33 year old beyond that, and in doing so make him our highest paid player. So during that contract he will be both our highest paid AND oldest player?

Nope. And if I owned the club and the money came from my pocket would I want to pay Jose 80+ a week? Nope.

There seem to be a number of fans that want us to extend the contract and pay him even more, for what he has done in the past as some sort of "thank you". Ridiculous. His thank you was getting paid vast sums at the time.

We should now be looking dispassionately about what he will deliver between the ages of 33 and 35. Does it justify being the highest paid at the club? I would say that he is past his best and will only decline over the next few years so personally whilst I thank him for what he's done for us, if he wants more than we offered then he can go. He's not irreplaceable.

Well he's not head and shoulders above VvD is he. There is no debate he has been a great player for us.

Do I want Saints to extend the contract of a 33 year old beyond that, and in doing so make him our highest paid player. So during that contract he will be both our highest paid AND oldest player?

Nope. And if I owned the club and the money came from my pocket would I want to pay Jose 80+ a week? Nope.

There seem to be a number of fans that want us to extend the contract and pay him even more, for what he has done in the past as some sort of "thank you". Ridiculous. His thank you was getting paid vast sums at the time.

We should now be looking dispassionately about what he will deliver between the ages of 33 and 35. Does it justify being the highest paid at the club? I would say that he is past his best and will only decline over the next few years so personally whilst I thank him for what he's done for us, if he wants more than we offered then he can go. He's not irreplaceable.

This is basically how I feel. I have very little sympathy with PL players thinking that they should be earning even more money than they are. £80k a week is 154 times more than the national average, and let's not forget that this is just his proposed wage. There are other income streams associated - image rights, advertising, bonuses etc etc. I spoke to a banker once who used to look after a lot of football players. He said that often the wage was about a quarter of the income a top player made (although not sure how accurate that is).

I can well understand him wanting to go to a Big 6 club, but the highest he is likely to go is Everton. Do they want him? Maybe West Ham, as they seem to buy anyone. But the simple fact is that he would be knocking on 35 when his contract is up, and his time would be (nearly) up. As you say, there are a lot of fans who think that he should be given a contract extension as a sign of loyalty. Well, all things come to an end, so why not at 35? The contract he signed in Oct15 to take him to June18 was the "thank you" contract wasn't it?

“I want to thank the manager, Les Reed, Ralph [Krueger], Katharina [Liebherr] – all of the staff and all of the board – for showing their trust and belief in me. I am extremely happy that they are giving me this opportunity to keep being in this great club, and I hope I can give back with good performances and by helping the club move forward. This is where I feel happy and where I’ve been very successful, so this is where I want to be and where I want to win.”

Seems to me that not a lot has changed from the club's side. By his own acknowledgement they showed their trust and belief in him, which now seems not to be reciprocated. The opportunity to stay at the club seems now to have been thrown back in their faces. It happened back in July/August, just a few months after signing. So what changed? People seem to be thinking that it was the Club (ie Les Reed). I would suspect that the Club hasn't changed its stance at all.

This is basically how I feel. I have very little sympathy with PL players thinking that they should be earning even more money than they are. £80k a week is 154 times more than the national average, and let's not forget that this is just his proposed wage. There are other income streams associated - image rights, advertising, bonuses etc etc. I spoke to a banker once who used to look after a lot of football players. He said that often the wage was about a quarter of the income a top player made (although not sure how accurate that is).

I can well understand him wanting to go to a Big 6 club, but the highest he is likely to go is Everton. Do they want him? Maybe West Ham, as they seem to buy anyone. But the simple fact is that he would be knocking on 35 when his contract is up, and his time would be (nearly) up. As you say, there are a lot of fans who think that he should be given a contract extension as a sign of loyalty. Well, all things come to an end, so why not at 35? The contract he signed in Oct15 to take him to June18 was the "thank you" contract wasn't it?

“I want to thank the manager, Les Reed, Ralph [Krueger], Katharina [Liebherr] – all of the staff and all of the board – for showing their trust and belief in me. I am extremely happy that they are giving me this opportunity to keep being in this great club, and I hope I can give back with good performances and by helping the club move forward. This is where I feel happy and where I’ve been very successful, so this is where I want to be and where I want to win.”

Seems to me that not a lot has changed from the club's side. By his own acknowledgement they showed their trust and belief in him, which now seems not to be reciprocated. The opportunity to stay at the club seems now to have been thrown back in their faces. It happened back in July/August, just a few months after signing. So what changed? People seem to be thinking that it was the Club (ie Les Reed). I would suspect that the Club hasn't changed its stance at all.

Without wishing to get into this too much the average national wage is nothing to do with how much a footballer should or should not be paid and if you look at the industry then top level footballers are actually underpaid when you look at the income that football has.

I suspect your accountant friend is correct when it comes to income but only for the very best footballers. Last year Ronaldo had more income than AC Milan did (for example).

For Saints it makes little sense to make Fonte top earner for two more years. However, whilst it would be nice for him to get a good deal for 'services rendered' if a club in China want to chuck £6m a year at him for two seasons you can't blame him for having his head turned.

Without wishing to get into this too much the average national wage is nothing to do with how much a footballer should or should not be paid and if you look at the industry then top level footballers are actually underpaid when you look at the income that football has.

I suspect your accountant friend is correct when it comes to income but only for the very best footballers. Last year Ronaldo had more income than AC Milan did (for example).

For Saints it makes little sense to make Fonte top earner for two more years. However, whilst it would be nice for him to get a good deal for 'services rendered' if a club in China want to chuck £6m a year at him for two seasons you can't blame him for having his head turned.

Fair enough - the average wage was just illustrative that their lot isn't too bad.

A good deal for "services rendered"??? Why do you consider that the contract extension that he signed in October 2015 wasn't that good deal for "services rendered"? He certainly seemed to think it was. Between then and July/August 2016, the club's stance hadn't changed, and still hasn't, yet obviously JF no longer thinks that the contract he signed is adequate. Well maybe the club's stance has changed as they might (or might not, depending on who you believe) have offered an increase in his wage. Certainly they haven't done anything negative.

Turning into a bit of a difficult situation now. Third of the way through the window and Fonte won't be in the best of moods after being outed as a supposed liar and then frozen out of the squad. Is he even still training with the rest of the team? If so, we need him gone ASAP. Not good to have a disgruntled employee moping around...

I'm afraid anyone in Reed's position can't always tell the whole truth publicly - it would undermine the club's negotiating position. My house isn't for sale but if someone knocked on my door offering twice the market price then it would be! I think the same principle applies to VVD - and any player for that matter.

Spot on.

I think it's already been pointed out that he handed in a request at the start of the season when he returned from the Euros. It has only recently been made public.

The chances of going to China seems unlikely as they only seem to be signing attacking players.

Ricardo Carvalho signed for Shanghai SIPG the other day....

I think it's already been pointed out that he handed in a request at the start of the season when he returned from the Euros. It has only recently been made public.

The chances of going to China seems unlikely as they only seem to be signing attacking players.

Seems an odd thing to do if his agent hadn't got him a new deal elsewhere or set up and ready to go or did he already have a move lined up and saints put the skids on it by demanding more than another club were willing to pay...

For all the people thinking Les Reed is lying about offering a new contract, Jose Fonte is a player who is very active on Instagram and is more than happy to confirm, deny, or clarify news regarding himself. Since this story broke he hasn't posted a single thing. His silence is deafening.

I wonder if the disagreement between Les and Jose is semantics. Fonte: I did not receive a new contract offer. Reed: we offered him a raise and an extension allowed by his existing recently-executed contract. Both can be construed as correct depending on your point of view. You could certainly argue that what Reed offered was not a new contract.

I think he was better than Pepe. Didn't mean to compare him with VVD, I regard Fonte's position as alongside Virgil.

Come off it,Pepe was superb in the Euros. They both played well but to suggest Fonte was the better of the two is real red and white glasses time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-the-truth-behind-jose-fontes-exile-at-southampton-and-that-man-united-offer-110418738.html

Interesting....

Fonte made it clear that he has been keen to leave Southampton since returning from playing a successful role in Portugal’s success at Euro 2016, with the 33-year-old defender turning down two contract offers in the last few months before he handed in an official transfer request last week.

The second of the contract offers would have guaranteed Fonte a sizeable Premier League pay packet past his 36th birthday, but Fonte and his agent Jorge Mendes have made it clear that he is keen to leave the club rather than commit to a new deal and as a result, Puel opted to head into the Liverpool game without his skipper.

So he has had 2 contract offers according to this, yet he said he hadn't had an offer. Suspect that the club provided a fair bit of info for this article.

Obviously Fonte and his agent have been playing games, presumably in an effort to either get more money from the club or get a move to a top 6 club. Unfortunately for him, it has spectacularly backfired, and there doesn't seem to be much interest from any big clubs.

So this is how I see the different options that Fonte is left with.

If he hasn't burnt all of his bridges yet, and the contract(s) we offered him are still on the table, then perhaps he might decide he'd be better off staying here.

However, it would appear both the player and the club have decided that his future lies away from Southampton.

So that leaves:

Palace, who are desperate for new signings and would probably match his demands.

Portugal, and a return to his 'spiritual home' (let's home that phrase doesn't get uttered in the press release :uhoh: ! )

China, for one last mega payday.

Or, he sacks Medes (not sure anyone has ever done that before), mans up and says he cocked up and followed poor advice, and carries on with Saints having relinquished the captaincy. Of course as you say Grapefruit, there might not be too many bridges left. Everton, WHU and Palace are about the level he might go to, but football is a funny old game and maybe Mendes can "persuade" bigger clubs to take him. Portugal would pay him peanuts. China - who knows?

So he has had 2 contract offers according to this, yet he said he hadn't had an offer. Suspect that the club provided a fair bit of info for this article.

Think its been obvious for a while, because it means both Fonte and Les can be seen as being truthful.

He has almost certainly had 2 offers. One was a pay rise and the second was an extension (it could have been the other way round that's not important).

But he hasn't been offered both together.

Man U were certainly after him in the Summer, but they aren't now, and that's why Fonte has probably shot

himself in the foot. Don't think he would go to Palace (or anyone else outside the Top 6 in England), and China

seems to be a disappearing destination. Unless Benfica are prepared to take him (or Porto or Sporting) I think he may well still be here on 1st Feb with

some egg on his face.