Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Fans spend 2 seasons slagging off Boufal, now he is going, not enough money cos he is brilliant.

Honestly, don’t get our fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps the fans slashing him off aren't the ones that think he's worth more then 10 million? It's not like all Saints fans came to a consensus opinion that he is **** and now collectively have decided he's worth more then 10 million.

Why? Ralph has seen him play and can see why he will never be a team player, and why he has no end product. He is a very skilful footballer, but has a basic faulty trait that means he does not link up with other players. Ralph has presumably reckoned he cannot change Boufal's style, in the same way none of his other coaches have and requested he be transferred out. Don't think it's an attitude problem, though its possible, just a realisation that he does not have the tools to fit into Ralph's team.

We don’t know for sure what Ralph has seen of him, but anyway getting him back taking a look at him in training seeing how he’s responding to Ralph’s tactics and instructions, what we saw of him under pellegrino etc could be completely different as it was a slow tedious approach which allowed little space for attacking players.

I think this lack of end product and stuff is a myth, he was around the same statistically as redmond up until last season. He’s got better attributes then all our other attackers and wingers, why not at least give him a crack in training ?

We don’t know for sure what Ralph has seen of him, but anyway getting him back taking a look at him in training seeing how he’s responding to Ralph’s tactics and instructions, what we saw of him under pellegrino etc could be completely different as it was a slow tedious approach which allowed little space for attacking players.

I think this lack of end product and stuff is a myth, he was around the same statistically as redmond up until last season. He’s got better attributes then all our other attackers and wingers, why not at least give him a crack in training ?

We seem to be in a minority here. Unless Ralph has another attacking gem up his sleeve I can't see the case against a pre-season assessment by Ralph before the Club rushes to take 10 million.

We seem to be in a minority here. Unless Ralph has another attacking gem up his sleeve I can't see the case against a pre-season assessment by Ralph before the Club rushes to take 10 million.

In a different season there may have been a case to be made for this. But Boufal is not back yet, I don’t know but I suspect he will not be back next week either. Preseason is done, the team will be concentrating on playing the first game, transfer window will be shutting in about a week (from his return). He doesn't have the luxury of a full preseason, decisions based on the reality.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/newcastle-back-in-for-allan-saint-maximin-as-ogc-nice-drop-asking-price-from-e40m-to-e25m/

Nice looking to offload Saint-Maximin to fund deal for Boufal, with personal terms seemingly already agreed.

From the article...

manager Patrick Vieira wants rid of the player as soon as possible, falling out spectacularly with “ASM” over his lack of commitment, on-pitch selfishness

... shh!, don't tell him he'll be getting more of the same ;)

Hopefully not.. can’t we ditch moi instead :(

I love watching Boufal, but beggars can't be choosers & that £9m might be able to get us 50%* of a centre-back.

(* MLG pedantic disclaimer: I mean 50% of the value of a centre-back, not literally half of an actual human body)

I love watching Boufal, but beggars can't be choosers & that £9m might be able to get us 50%* of a centre-back.

(* MLG pedantic disclaimer: I mean 50% of the value of a centre-back, not literally half of an actual human body)

Get rid of MOI, keep Boufal. You know it makes sense Ralph. I’m just praying he comes back to pre season training in time before we sell him so he can light up Ralph s eyes and mind.

Get rid of MOI, keep Boufal. You know it makes sense Ralph. I’m just praying he comes back to pre season training in time before we sell him so he can light up Ralph s eyes and mind.

Boufal made little impact under Puel or MoPe, then immediately failed to impress Hughes and fell out with him. He went to Spain, scored 3 goals, was often subbed off first when they were in need of a goal or simply dropped from the XI. Now (IF these stories are to be believed) Ralph seems to have little interest in him either. None of our rivals, even the newly promoted sides, seem interested in poaching him at a knock down price.

What will it take to convince some people he just isn’t good enough.

I generally find people digging at MLG irritating but that made me laugh

Boufal made little impact under Puel or MoPe, then immediately failed to impress Hughes and fell out with him. He went to Spain, scored 3 goals, was often subbed off first when they were in need of a goal or simply dropped from the XI. Now (IF these stories are to be believed) Ralph seems to have little interest in him either. None of our rivals, even the newly promoted sides, seem interested in poaching him at a knock down price.

What will it take to convince some people he just isn’t good enough.

He’s had little impact in a team guided by defensive managers. I remember him complaining about it when there was a report on him on French television when he was having dinner with his agent and talking about it saying he was only doing defensive tasks in the team.

Hell even our most attacking players under Puel and Pell were not exactly thriving. We used to think it was a personnel problem well turns out we had very little problem scoring when Ralph came in.

A fit Boufal in a Ralph system this I can’t wait to see, he is clearly good enough.

Fantastic that he is in Ireland with the others, means he is not completely frozen out and might still have a future here.

He deserves a chance. He only fell out with Hughes, because Hughes doesn’t like flair players and has fallen out with these types his whole managerial career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well for balance, he also didn't have a great relationship with Pell either. The celebration after the WBA goal rather demonstrated that.

Like many, I enjoyed watching him and if he can be a team player, then I would be more than happy to see him at Saints next season.

It would be great if RH can get the best out of him, good that he is being given a chance but if it turns out well I will be more than surprised. I believe the guy is a show pony a sort of footballing Boris Johnson

Go on the Australian Saints Facebook Page they have a great photo of Boufal training in Dublin.

Ralph’s turned a couple of players around already . I’m damn sure he can with him.

Ralph’s “chat “ with Callum certainly did the trick as well.

Go on the Australian Saints Facebook Page they have a great photo of Boufal training in Dublin.

Ralph’s turned a couple of players around already . I’m damn sure he can with him.

Ralph’s “chat “ with Callum certainly did the trick as well.

67172255_3141804935845994_2847174648477515776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQlYaGBjvZfe3_w7q84gyhW8TSC4i8HTCZZ28DXzKWGYz0h4VTWEHrwFY7MozKYMoBc&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=c4f4c392a01c573adc28b65d7c0c8351&oe=5DAE043E

Arsing about in training is one thing , doing the business in a high pressure match is what counts . Mental strength determines your success as shown time and time again in any sport . Shaw had it beaten into him at Utd and is now considered a better player.

absolutely he had it beaten in to him - and arguably it worked - however if he had been well managed it could have worked an awful lot quicker! Prefer ralphs approach to the mourinho childish open calling out by a long shot and think it has more chance of reaping rewards. Whether it will have the full effect on Boufal only time will tell (and only if he's here)

It feels like some people are quick to say "well if Ralph doesn't want him, I'm happy to see him go" but a bit more reluctant to say "well if Ralph is happy to welcome him back, so am I".

Boufal has a lot to prove for sure, and maybe he would actually prefer a move away anyway, in which case if we get a decent offer it might make sense to take it. However, to sign somebody who brings the same skills as Boufal to the table, albeit with more consistency/end-product, is most likely going to cost shedloads. I mean, we spent £15m+ on Elyounoussi who looks considerably worse.

I get that some people don't rate him, but IF Hasenhuttl was able to get a tune out of Boufal, it is worth a great deal more than selling him for around £10m. So surely that's what we should be hoping for above anything else? But for some people it feels more important to be right about their dislike of him rather than the best outcome for the club.

First things first, if they were even in the same continent it might help. Ralph cannot work his magic on a player via video link. Clearly there is no intent to try to do so, if there was they would have taken Boufal to Macau (unless there were visa problems getting him into PRC, its not easy). Even Ralph with his God like status can see that it is unlikely that he can change Boufal's play into something akin to a team player, when so many others have tried and failed. We need to realise, as I think Ralph has, that Boufal is a very talented and skilful football player, with a style that makes him unsuited to a team game, where he might succeed in a slower moving league (though even that is debateable as he hardly ripped up La Liga last season). I will be shocked if Boufal is still at Saints in 2 weeks time.

First things first, if they were even in the same continent it might help. Ralph cannot work his magic on a player via video link. Clearly there is no intent to try to do so, if there was they would have taken Boufal to Macau (unless there were visa problems getting him into PRC, its not easy). Even Ralph with his God like status can see that it is unlikely that he can change Boufal's play into something akin to a team player, when so many others have tried and failed. We need to realise, as I think Ralph has, that Boufal is a very talented and skilful football player, with a style that makes him unsuited to a team game, where he might succeed in a slower moving league (though even that is debateable as he hardly ripped up La Liga last season). I will be shocked if Boufal is still at Saints in 2 weeks time.

Or perhaps Boufal has told him that he wants a move away if such an opportunity arises an therefore Hasenhuttl is assuming he will go and thinks it's better to plan without him?

(though isn't the point that he has been at AFCON and then on holiday which is why he didn't go to Macau - and there are now photos of him in training, suggesting he HAS been welcomed back with the likes of Cedric and Hoedt?)

No way would expect Boufal to fly back from African Nations, and then fly to Asia.

Boufal has his last chance when Ralph arrives. We shall see.

He is a nice chap and fits in with the other players well. It was all Hughes, that was the problem. Yes he had a little "spat" with Clownegrino, but i would, imagine telling a player like him not to play the only way he knows.

It feels like some people are quick to say "well if Ralph doesn't want him, I'm happy to see him go" but a bit more reluctant to say "well if Ralph is happy to welcome him back, so am I".

Boufal has a lot to prove for sure, and maybe he would actually prefer a move away anyway, in which case if we get a decent offer it might make sense to take it. However, to sign somebody who brings the same skills as Boufal to the table, albeit with more consistency/end-product, is most likely going to cost shedloads. I mean, we spent £15m+ on Elyounoussi who looks considerably worse.

I get that some people don't rate him, but IF Hasenhuttl was able to get a tune out of Boufal, it is worth a great deal more than selling him for around £10m. So surely that's what we should be hoping for above anything else? But for some people it feels more important to be right about their dislike of him rather than the best outcome for the club.

Eloquently expressed, sir.

It seems to me there are 3 categories of players right now. Group 1 are those Ralph wants to retain and work with this season, group 2 are those who he clearly wants rid of (Austin, Lemina, Carillo, the now departed Clasie) and group 3 are those who he may prefer to be sold so as to strengthen other areas of the team but who he is happy to utilise if they show the necessary application if a move doesn't materialise (Cedric, Hoedt, Boufal). I'm surprised to see Hoedt in that group and hope Boufal takes this chance under Ralph, if that's what it transpires to be.

Ralph has all training sessions filmed.

Once a week Ralph and all the coaches have a strict briefing from him , he then takes them for a few circuits and gets full feedback from the coaches. Didn’t you watch the fans forum ? “ If I get the right performance and attitude the players can go high but also if not there’s a long drop” or words to that affect.

Ralph has all training sessions filmed.

Once a week Ralph and all the coaches have a strict briefing from him , he then takes them for a few circuits and gets full feedback from the coaches. Didn’t you watch the fans forum ? “ If I get the right performance and attitude the players can go high but also if not there’s a long drop” or words to that affect.

So he's going to turn Boufal around by 2 weekly video links. Hmm. Not much of a plan. If he had any chance of making Boufal a team player he need to work with him intensively and for some time. It isn't going to happen. I'd be very happy if it did. We made a huge mistake with Boufal, to appease Puel, our scouting went out the window. Boufal will be playing in Spain or France next season I'm sure where his skills and style will have some chance of a modicum of success.

So he's going to turn Boufal around by 2 weekly video links. Hmm. Not much of a plan. If he had any chance of making Boufal a team player he need to work with him intensively and for some time. It isn't going to happen. I'd be very happy if it did. We made a huge mistake with Boufal, to appease Puel, our scouting went out the window. Boufal will be playing in Spain or France next season I'm sure where his skills and style will have some chance of a modicum of success.

I don't think I'd put Boufal into the "inexplicable failure" list. Of course there are aspects that mean our scouts got it wrong (I'm not sure Boufal was to please Puel btw), but you can't expect a 100% hit rate and you can surely see why we took a chance on him. Elyounoussi and Vestergaard are more recent signings who don't appear to be good enough, but are at least the TYPE of players we needed, as was Clasie. Hojbjerg and Redmond have taken a long time to come good, pretty sure there were people a year or two ago writing both of them off as never going to be good enough.

The "huge mistake" accusations should be reserved for Carillo and Forster's new contract. Jaw dropping moments for virtually everyone when they happened, not even in hindsight.