Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

Unquestionably the worst signing based on his fee and contribution to date. But that could change if he comes back and breaks into the first team again.

As for the worst player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt, I'd probably to go for Kanchelskis. Think he did actually manage two substitute appearances, but the one game I saw him in he did nothing other than spoon a cross into the crowd. Well and truly past his best days for United and Everton. Even Ali Dia got a shot on target!

If you take Hoedt out of the equation for a minute, as that is a problem area all of its own, I think Carillo probably cost more than the others combined. Plus in his defence we had a couple of seasons from Forster where he appeared a reasoanble option and signing.

As you say, personal opinion.

Feel a bit sorry for Carillo though as he was embarrassingly out of his depth but did show a willingness and desire to play for us, and at least was making the effort. Can't say the same for several others over the years, Speedie, Quashie (after he lost interest), and going back twenty years, Mark Hughes just went through the motions.

Forster has never been much cop, just blessed with an incredible back 4 infront of him, soon as that vanished, he was exposed.

Elynoussi for me. I haven’t seen enough of Carrillo to get annoyed but Ely just looks all round terrible and baffling

Agreed. Hands down the worst player I've seen 'perform' for us since we came back up. That would be bad enough if he was free, but we paid circa £15m for this goon.

If you are going back that far, there are a number of contenders. I saw all of them play and if you mention Kerry Dixon, you have to include David Speedie, who didn’t want to come here (a make weight in selling Shearer to Blackburn) and caused trouble with players, management and fans.

I would also throw the name of Lew Chatterley in. A mate of Lawrie, he became one of his first signings. But even LM realised that Chatterley was out of his depth and sold him on quickly.

Came back as a coach a few seasons later and did a good job.

Funnily enough, just reading about worst ever signings and Lew Chatterley immediately came to mind for me too, as you say, totally out of his depth. Best remembered as a good loyal coach in later years.

Agreed. Hands down the worst player I've seen 'perform' for us since we came back up. That would be bad enough if he was free, but we paid circa £15m for this goon.

Whenever I see Moi play I think to myself that no one can be that bad. He came with a good track record - surely he can't be that bad - can he?

I don't understand why we're not trying to offload him - he is an international, and with his wages subsidized there would surely be takers. He should have absolutely no future here as he's way way below the required standard.

Whenever I see Moi play I think to myself that no one can be that bad. He came with a good track record - surely he can't be that bad - can he?

Normally even with an average player there is some positive attributes, but honestly with Moi I just can't think of one thing he is actually good at.

Normally even with an average player there is some positive attributes, but honestly with Moi I just can't think of one thing he is actually good at.

He's good at crossing, he can control a football, and his off the ball movement is pretty good.

Unfortunately, because he's so slow he rarely gets clear of a defender to get a cross in.

It also seems that after he scuffed his first couple of chances early on, all his confidence left him and now he just looks like he doesn't trust himself.

Even if he does get his confidence back, his lack of pace will always be a problem. I can't think of many effective slow wide players in the Premier League over the past decade.

He's like an Olympic sprinter compared to Moi.

It wasn’t so much pace as acceleration/deceleration over two yards. The ability to change pace and direction quickly, put a defender on his back foot and make a space in the right area for just long enough to put a decent ball in. It’s a fine skill which Moi just doesn’t have.

And to think of the abuse I took for criticizing Big Leslie.

If you consider wages, league finishes, sacked manager, (crap) player purchases... Les free reign could easily cost us £100m

He had his defenders right till the end.

If you promise to stop posting irritating animated gifs I'll take you off my ignore list.

Unquestionably the worst signing based on his fee and contribution to date. But that could change if he comes back and breaks into the first team again.

As for the worst player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt, I'd probably to go for Kanchelskis. Think he did actually manage two substitute appearances, but the one game I saw him in he did nothing other than spoon a cross into the crowd. Well and truly past his best days for United and Everton. Even Ali Dia got a shot on target!

Kanckelskis made one appearance as sub in a game we actually won - home v Everton. Don't think it very fair to include him in this debate.

Kanckelskis made one appearance as sub in a game we actually won - home v Everton. Don't think it very fair to include him in this debate.

Plus there have been many other equally anonymous, low risk signings/loans. Falque, O’Halloran, Forren, Taider

Southampton player ‘in limbo’, Saints ignoring his existence, transfer will take time:

Throughout this summer we’ve brought you various updates on the future of Southampton striker Guido Carrillo.

The Argentine spent last season on loan with Leganes and looks extremely likely to leave the club again this summer.

AS provided the last update on his future, stating that Leganes were chasing another loan deal but Southampton were playing hardball and wanted to get rid of him permanently.

They update the story today and say that Carrillo currently finds himself ‘in limbo’ and is waiting for his future to be sorted out.

Their report says he recently returned to Southampton for the start of pre-season but hasn’t travelled with the squad for a training camp in Austria.

Likewise, the club have deleted all mentions of him from their website. He doesn’t appear in the squad list and attempts to find him via a search engine produce nothing.

That shows Southampton’s stance but so far a transfer deal is proving hard to get done. Leganes remain keen on signing him again but it’s not a move that can be resolved quickly.

Carrillo remains ‘a priority’ for the La Liga club and asked for a second loan deal but Southampton are determined to secure a permanent sale. They want to recoup ‘a good part’ of their €20m investment. That’s presumably something Leganes wouldn’t be able to match given they’re chasing a loan deal.

If they can’t get a deal done, AS report he has several other options in La Liga, specifically naming Getafe as another interested party.

Southampton’s asking price is likely to push other potential suitors away as well, though, and until they lower it or consider a loan move for him, Carrillo is likely to remain stuck in limbo for the foreseeable future.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-striker-limbo-saints-ignoring-existence-transfer-will-take-time/

And to think of the abuse I took for criticizing Big Leslie.

If you consider wages, league finishes, sacked manager, (crap) player purchases... Les free reign could easily cost us £100m

He had his defenders right till the end.

It was shocking. Regular abuse on here from the reedists, even following his sacking.

It was shocking. Regular abuse on here from the reedists, even following his sacking.

Seriously though, all transfers are either fantastic/success/decent/OK/fair/poor/failures/disasters. I really don't think SFC are much different from most other cubs, arguably better.

You guys seem to be saying "any failure means the whole system/people/infrastructure is a failure". If you are right you are really in the wrong business.

But i don't think you are, and i don't think you are.

Club ‘would now enter fully to negotiate’ and sign Southampton player:

While Southampton have been focused on adding forwards to their squad this summer, there’s also a need to move some on and Guido Carrillo is one such player.

The Argentine striker is the club’s record signing but his time at Saint Mary’s has not been a happy one and they are keen to end the relationship.

Last season saw him out on loan at Leganes where he scored six goals in 33 games and made a good impression on the La Liga club.

They’re keen to get him back next season but Southampton weren’t keen on a loan and wanted a sale, with their demands leaving the deal ‘in limbo’ according to the last reports on the move.

Now it seems Carrillo may have a different option in the form of Boca Juniors, with Toda Pasión reporting their interest in the striker.

They say the Argentinian club ‘would now enter fully to negotiate’ with Southampton for the striker as they look to sign a replacement for Darío Benedetto, as he’s off to Marseille.

Boca manager Gustavo Alfaro has already spoken with Carrillo to express his interest in bringing him to the club and there is an ‘open door’ for him to do so, should negotiations with Southampton go well. Carrillo is waiting to see how things go.

As has been reported, Southampton are keen to get rid but they’ve been trying to recoup most of the £19.8m they paid for him in January last year and that’s what was preventing a return to Leganés.

Boca will likely have more to spend than the Spanish side, particularly with the sale of Benedetto, but whether they’ll be willing to match Southampton’s price is debatable.

The player’s father, Marcelo, is quoted as saying: “I do not want to talk much because I don’t know what will happen. Initially the idea was to continue in Spain, but the decision will be made by Guido.”

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/new-option-southampton-flop-club-ready-enter-negotiations-already-spoken-player/

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17795712.boca-juniors-expected-make-offer-southampton-striker-guido-carrillo/

Tomorrow: Boca Juniors offer £800k for Guido Carrillo, which is significantly under Saints £15m valuation.

who remembers the loons on here trying to make out he had a good goal record at the time we signed him.

probably the most bizarre signing in our history

who remembers the loons on here trying to make out he had a good goal record at the time we signed him.

It’s exactly as Ross said at the forum - they wrongly supported Pellegrino with that deal.. then sacked him soon after.

Central to the argument was that he was being kept out of the Monaco first team by Falcao who was brilliant therefore Carillo must also be brilliant just only slightly less brilliant than Falcao.

See that Boca have just signed de Rossi (obviously on a free but would imagine big wages, especially for a South American team's budget) so wonder if that will put a dent in this idea.

They sold a striker for big money recently (so hopefully still need a striker!)

Why we trying to get 20m...get rid for 10m or so just and call it a day.

Not sure how you take "However, the Saints were only looking for a permanent transfer as they wanted to recoup part of the £20m they paid Monaco" to us trying to get £20m.

SSN reports 3 other clubs interested in addition to Boca Juniors

They probably are interested, but they will only pay £0.

We want to try and recoup the quite simply offensive amount we paid Monaco. The chances of that happening I'd say are between none and none.

I imagine he's also on a stupid wage which these clubs can't meet either. Absolute mess.

Maybe we could ask Pellegrino to pay us back for him?