Saints one season wonders

norwaysaint

Who are the players who we still remember as being a big part of the team, but were actually only with us for about the length of a season? I feel like there have been a few. Off the top of my head:

Bale

Walcott

Alderweireld

Ekelund

Oxlade Chamberlain

Lovren (He WAS excellent for us)

Berkovic

Any others who came and gave us something to cheer about for about 45 games or fewer? Can we make a team of one season players?

Can we also include players who were great for a season but then duds after? If so I’d add:

- Saganowski

- Fox

- Sharpe

Saganowski reminds me a lot of Gabbiadini. There's clearly a decent player in there but it's no coincidence that his form dropped after the team became crap.

Frank Worthington. He was getting on but what skill. And what a season his 1 season was!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes remember after a pretty slugish start he was outstanding between January and the 8-2 win at home to Coventry.Moran & Wallace both scored hat tricks, but the largest and loudest acclaim was when he scored as he'd had a barren run in front of goal but had shown some great skill over the previous few weeks, especially during the cup run. I think he fell out with Lawrie shortly after that match though.

In an interview that season Lawrie said he was a player he'd often thought of signing but it had never come off as we always seemed to have a few flair players. Great shame he wasn't at the club with Keegan, Channon and Ball.

Terry Gennoe, for about half a season.

Looked as if we had signed a GK to rival Shilton et al in his first few months, he often looked unbeatable (Reading away in the League Cup springs to mind), but his confidence was shattered after the League Cup final and he was never the same player again.

yeah, didn’t Reading want ridiculous money for a player they didn’t really want ?

Always liked him even though the brains trust on here insisted he wasn’t very good :):rolleyes:

He was out of contract (and out of favour) at Reading at the end of his season with us - as he had done so well and were sniffing about to snap him up. Reading went “oh hang on maybe we were a bit hasty and he’s better than we thought”. So they gave him a new contract and as we were doshed up tied a £1m+ Price tag round his neck.