Crimes against humanity, or simple black-market boot-legging?

ooh it's a corner

Three men have been jailed for 17 years for making money out of streaming live footie.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47650835

I'm sure we've all watched streams, which we know are not legitimate, which means we've created the market for this.

But 5-6 year jail terms? Statutory rape is only 8 years.

Feels a tad harsh.

And whilst it isn't a specific Saints related thread, there is a pic of JWP in the article...........

Got to protect the money of the rich.

Well given the 3 named allegedly made £5m from their steams they are the rich!

I agree penalties seem disproportionate, but guessing that as well as providing streams they would have been up to other things like laundering the proceeds, which would potentially have affected the term.

Three men have been jailed for 17 years for making money out of streaming live footie.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47650835

I'm sure we've all watched streams, which we know are not legitimate, which means we've created the market for this.

But 5-6 year jail terms? Statutory rape is only 8 years.

Feels a tad harsh.

And whilst it isn't a specific Saints related thread, there is a pic of JWP in the article...........

It was a business that sold streams to pubs and made them millions. Fair enough sorting your mates out with a stream but they're asking for it with that behaviour.

It was a business that sold streams to pubs and made them millions. Fair enough sorting your mates out with a stream but they're asking for it with that behaviour.

They were asking for it. And they did make millions.

And I am not sympathising with them, but I think it is a long jail sentence. It is one third of the time a Hampshire woman got for murdering her defenseless 3 year old daughter. Just seems harsh (the 6 years, not the 18 )

They were asking for it. And they did make millions.

And I am not sympathising with them, but I think it is a long jail sentence. It is one third of the time a Hampshire woman got for murdering her defenseless 3 year old daughter. Just seems harsh (the 6 years, not the 18 )

They will be out in 3 as long as they behave.

The main problem is that the price of watching Sky or BT has become nigh on unaffordable for many. Also these providers are so narrow in their match choice offerings usually involving the big clubs.

Obviously every single match these days is filmed so why can't Sky or PL offer Saints fans for example an affordable package for the season of all 38 Saints matches - similar for other club's fans? I for one would sign up for that even if only to see live the away game coverage. Most would pay £5/10 a match for that surely.

That would go a long way towards stopping piracy altogether.

The main problem is that the price of watching Sky or BT has become nigh on unaffordable for many. Also these providers are so narrow in their match choice offerings usually involving the big clubs.

Obviously every single match these days is filmed so why can't Sky or PL offer Saints fans for example an affordable package for the season of all 38 Saints matches - similar for other club's fans? I for one would sign up for that even if only to see live the away game coverage. Most would pay £5/10 a match for that surely.

Believe Amazon Prime have a deal to show all games live for one game week next season. Can see this becoming the norm in future TV deals.

because of the outdated view that it will damage attendances and grass-roots football.

I'd say, in some cases anyway, it's ticket pricing that would affect attendances, not because a game is aired live on TV.

I used to work with a guy who was the Treasurer of the Ex-Serviceman's Club in Archers Road.

They used to show the Sky games for years, paying a couple of hundred quid a year. Then Sky upped the price to £5k.

Not surprising that pubs went down an alternative route.

I used to work with a guy who was the Treasurer of the Ex-Serviceman's Club in Archers Road.

They used to show the Sky games for years, paying a couple of hundred quid a year. Then Sky upped the price to £5k.

Not surprising that pubs went down an alternative route.

I don't know what it costs now; but my mate used to run a pub that had Sky and BT. Around 5 or 6 years ago he decided to knock it on the head as the annual cost went over £20K. A ridiculous amount, and smaller pubs really have to consider if they are able to justify those costs, a lot won't be able to.