Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

It bugged the f**k out of me this morning. They asked the question - so who is leading at the moment? I thought Gove was pretty clear, Rabb is in charge...he is leading the cabinet.

But they still managed to throw in the most insane questions - ''So who has control over the nuclear button? we need clarity''. I mean, WTF is wrong with the media. It's plainly obvious to anyone with a brain - Rabb is deputizing for Boris, decisions are made as a group (Cabinet) and Rabb has the overall say. They've said that so many times.

Piers Morgan was still going on about it this morning. Saying we MUST KNOW who is in charge.!!!!

Comments like this highlight just how extreme the left have become in this country. It shows and utter lack of respect for freedom of speech and our democracy that people advocate serious harm on those that hold opposing views.

Sadly there are too many people like the above poster (i see it routinely in Bristol).

You Dominic scum, yet the reality is that you have already stooped lower than him simply by expressing this viewpoint.

Its a real stain on our society that we've raised intolerant cretins like yourself, and doubly so that you have a platform where you feel you are able to express them without repercussions.

There's good and bad on both wings. The left don't have a monoply on nutjobs

There's good and bad on both wings. The left don't have a monoply on nutjobs

Quite. Brm Brm comments rightly condemned as they are vile but shame on a (very) small minority on the other wing for trying to score points out of them. Hopefully Corbyn being deposed and this crisis weakening the far right will lead to an improvement in the public discourse so the extremists crawl back under their pre 2010 rocks. Also QT audiences having a far smaller presence from Momentum/UKIP/BNP or whatever Robinson’s group is called would help.

Frankly, whilst I can’t stand say Len McCluskey or Mark Francois, I would still want them to survive this virus as badly as Boris has because they are fellow humans. Not ones I like but still basic respect and care.

Piers Morgan was still going on about it this morning. Saying we MUST KNOW who is in charge.!!!!

The papers circulations are all going down the plug hole so they feel the need to shout louder. Unfortunately as with all sectors, less income reduces the calibre of the staff - journalists are no different.

I’ve stopped watching the briefings because of it - you can see the bewildering expressions of some of the politicians and experts as well at the poor Qs being asked.

Raab as Deputy PM steps in until Boris is better - as it looks as if he will eventually will be. Same as if Blair had ever got ill, Prescott would have done the same. Not sure what the journos can’t comprehend. Heard the nuclear button question - idiocy. Virtually every nation in the world, and all of those with the bombs, are either in lockdown or close to it.

Going forward, all we need is two right wing ish papers, two left and one in the middle. TV news is fully independent and has to be anyway. Quality not quantity. The Mirror Group buying out Desmond was just the start

The ministers look bewildered because they haven’t got any answers . The journos are trying hard not to criticise the Govt at this time. Don’t forget Boris has already excluded journos who asked awkward questions before the virus outbreak and refuses to appear on Various programs , radio and TV . Trying to control the media by giving Facebook “interviews “ .

Comments like this highlight just how extreme the left have become in this country. It shows and utter lack of respect for freedom of speech and our democracy that people advocate serious harm on those that hold opposing views.

Sadly there are too many people like the above poster (i see it routinely in Bristol).

You Dominic scum, yet the reality is that you have already stooped lower than him simply by expressing this viewpoint.

Its a real stain on our society that we've raised intolerant cretins like yourself, and doubly so that you have a platform where you feel you are able to express them without repercussions.

Lol, he's exercising his freedom of speech.

First lifting of restrictions will start here at the end of April. Kindergartens and primary schools planning to restart. Hairdressers and similar will be allowed to operate. They've got the infection rate down from the initial 2.5 further infections from each infected individual to 0.7, which means the pool of infectious people should be much smaller and more manageable by then. We'll see, I guess.

I was amazed to see on the BBC that they are thinking of trialling a plan to have passengers enter only at the back of the bus, to protect the driver. They cordoned off the front of the buses here right back at the start. Surely that was just common sense?

Crazy isn't it. Apparently about 15 transport for London staff have died.

Lol, he's exercising his freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech just means he wouldn't be arrested for it, and even that isn't without restriction.

It doesn't stop other people lowering their opinion of him because of it.

Well there's an upside to everything, then, it seems.

He is the leader of the "herd immunity" strategy. It's a strategy, but one with a price that no doubt (and with regret, they will say) the tories are prepared for other people to pay. That plus the long-term treatment of the NHS brings a certain ironic whiff to the events. As I said, i do not want him to die, but a chance to reflect on his world view would not go astray.

Boris has just taken power and one of the first things done was to promise more funds for hospitals. Although he was in the conservative governments previously, he has already shown a change in Tory policy. The majority of decisions, if not all, have been advised by the scientists and medics guiding us forward in the fight against covid 19.

I am afraid that people like you are so biased that you sound ridiculous and extremely low in brain power. Boris and the Chancellor have already shown that no matter the cost they will pay people without them working to protect their jobs as far as is possible. They have also said that they will keep keep doing so for as long as is necessary. Yes they may have made some errors of judgement but remember that they are supposedly being advised by the best brains in this country.

I( also wonder just how many of the people slagging him and the government off will/have applied for their share of the free pot. Or would they prefer nothing had been offered so the majority of businesses collapsed and the majority suffered loss of jobs?

As for the defenders of Johnson, I really despair that they cannot see what a narcissistic, lazy, flippant, frivolous, untrustworthy and selfish person he is. I didn't wish the virus on him but was utterly unsurprised that he got it, having shown by his mixed messages, let alone his actions over time, that he wasn't take it seriously.

The government did hardly anything for two months before panicking, which is why we are in our current situation over PPE and testing, let alone the longer term issues of not having enough ICU beds, nurses, doctors, ventilators.. and the 2016 health committee recommendations regarding potential pandemics were ignored. They may be spending money now, but years of austerity are coming home to roost.

As for going on about people wishing nasty things on Johnson, I can only observe that the reports I see on actual political violence seem to involve right wing types, so perhaps you could show an itsy bit of disapproval there too.

As for the defenders of Johnson, I really despair that they cannot see what a narcissistic, lazy, flippant, frivolous, untrustworthy and selfish person he is. I didn't wish the virus on him but was utterly unsurprised that he got it, having shown by his mixed messages, let alone his actions over time, that he wasn't take it seriously.

The government did hardly anything for two months before panicking, which is why we are in our current situation over PPE and testing, let alone the longer term issues of not having enough ICU beds, nurses, doctors, ventilators.. and the 2016 health committee recommendations regarding potential pandemics were ignored. They may be spending money now, but years of austerity are coming home to roost.

As for going on about people wishing nasty things on Johnson, I can only observe that the reports I see on actual political violence seem to involve right wing types, so perhaps you could show an itsy bit of disapproval there too.

Regarding your last paragraph as you’re the first person to resort to personal abuse, swearing and general aggressive behaviour on here when someone disagrees with you I find that very hard to believe.

Regarding your last paragraph as you’re the first person to resort to personal abuse, swearing and general aggressive behaviour on here when someone disagrees with you I find that very hard to believe.

What's swearing got to do with actual violence?

Just be honest sue. If Boris dies of the virus you're going to be one of the ones secretly happy about it. Probably not all that secretly to be honest, you'll most likely have a bottle or five to celebrate. Edited by hypochondriac

Not sure I’ve ever agreed with what Trump has said previously, but he is right in slamming the WHO.

Their role in all of this has been comical if you can even call something like this comical.

why the hell they did not issue the rest of the world with clear instructions on what to do and how serious this was going to get is mind numbing.

they should have known the consequences and strongly advised the rest of the world that they’d better bolt down immediately.

instead they told us it was just for the old and vulnerable and everyone else would be fine.

As Trump has indicated, the Chinese influence and donations have ****ed us all.

This is the organisation advising on world health, might as well been the ****ing Chuckle Brothers

Not sure I’ve ever agreed with what Trump has said previously, but he is right in slamming the WHO.

Their role in all of this has been comical if you can even call something like this comical.

why the hell they did not issue the rest of the world with clear instructions on what to do and how serious this was going to get is mind numbing.

they should have known the consequences and strongly advised the rest of the world that they’d better bolt down immediately.

instead they told us it was just for the old and vulnerable and everyone else would be fine.

This is the organisation advising on world health, might as well been the ****ing Chuckle Brothers

F-ck right off. wont get fooled again is one of the best songs ever written

WHO experts have said all along that high levels of testing and tracing are key. Funnily enough, the countries that have done that have controlled this the best.

Lol. Yeah go Trump. He’s the man to always give the gullible morons a scapegoat. Listen to this genius not WHO. Did he lower to a whisper so you thought he was being super intelligent?

the Democrats are politicising the coronavirus… this is their new hoax.”

“We’ve got 15. And soon we’ll go down to zero.”

”One day it will just go away. Just like that. It’s a miracle”.

”Hydroxychloroquine. What do you have to lose? Take it.”

Trump >>> WHO

Believing Trump ? you couldn't make it up !

Not sure any of the election promises we were given in December would have actually happened but this pandemic will totally change the economy , HS2 could be the first thing to go .

I guarantee HS2 won't go. Many people are still working on it as "key workers".

The WHO hasnt covered itself in glory, pussyfooting around China -notably ignoring Taiwan’s early warnings in December about transmission of the coronavirus between humans. At the same time, Trump dropped the ball massively -all his gloriously incriminating statements are on record. That set the context for the US response and it has been playing catch up ever since.

The WHO hasnt covered itself in glory, pussyfooting around China -notably ignoring Taiwan’s early warnings in December about transmission of the coronavirus between humans. At the same time, Trump dropped the ball massively -all his gloriously incriminating statements are on record. That set the context for the US response and it has been playing catch up ever since.
Yep. It's not an either or situation.

In summary:

- nobody at the club will be furloughed

- will continue to pay 100% of salaries through until June 30, when the situation will be reassessed

- the board, senior coaching staff and the first-team squad have all chosen to take voluntary wage deferral for three months

In doing so, Saints become the first club to reach a pay deferral agreement with their playing squad.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/...lub-statement-coronavirus-response-april-2020

In summary:

- will continue to pay 100% of salaries through until June 30, when the situation will be reassessed

- the board, senior coaching staff and the first-team squad have all chosen to take voluntary wage deferral for three months

In doing so, Saints become the first club to reach a pay deferral agreement with their playing squad.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/...lub-statement-coronavirus-response-april-2020

It's good news but would also be decent if they agreed a wage cut as well.

Southampton FC, leading from the front to put shame on “the bigger clubs”. This should make big news, but it won’t because of SFC being perceived as a smaller club.

Let’s watch the rest squirm. Proud to support my local club.

Don't know about that! Just went onto Twitter and lots of the big sources drawing attention to Saints being first to reach an agreement like this.

Just from a first look...

BBC:

Guardian:

Sky:

In summary:

played Saints :)

over to the big boys now to follow suit

Being a bit picky - the statement says deferring 'part' of their salaries but doesn't say what percentage that is

Ultimately it doesn't really matter as they're deferred - they'll be paid eventually.

As long as it's enough to keep the club going until we have an income again, ensure all the rest of the staff are paid, and means the club can avoid using the furlough scheme, it's an excellent move by the club.

They also haven't really given up anything, just agreed to be paid it at a later date.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Che Adams has posted the PlayersTogether initiative as has Romeu and others so they are doing their bit. Hopefully you are too.

Edited by Greenridge
typo

Che Adams has posted the PlayersTogether initiative as has Romeu and others so they are doing there bit. Hopefully you are too.
Still going to work at a prison every day so yeah I am. The players together initiative is fantastic, and I guess I am being harsh with these deferrals, it means staff will be fully paid and won't be taking any funds from the government's furlough pot.

Still going to work at a prison every day so yeah I am. The players together initiative is fantastic, and I guess I am being harsh with these deferrals, it means staff will be fully paid and won't be taking any funds from the government's furlough pot.

Well I guess either the Government get 45% tax from the players wages or they pay 80% of the salaries so it's a win-win either way. Yes, I've over-simplified it.