Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

It would only be 80% up to a ceiling of £2,500 a week.....

Yes, as I said I over-simplified it but the fact that the Gov will receive 45% taxation from the players wages far exceeds what they would pay SFC employees on the furlough scheme so as we are not taking advantage of it is a massive help to the Gov coffers. Albeit some of that tax might be delayed a few months.

It would only be 80% up to a ceiling of £2,500 a week.....

The government will also pay the employer’s NI and pension contributions. It may not be generally realised that no money has been handed over yet. The employer still has to pay the wages as usual and then claim them back later. ‘Hopefully’ the government website will be live during the week after next and reimbursement should follow within two or three weeks of that.

As for the £10,000 grant to business ratepayers I have been told that ‘hopefully’ EBC will be sending that out later next week too.

I believe PAYE and NIC is due on the earlier of entitlement and payment. So as long as the players have only deferred payment (and not entitlement), Saints will still pay the government (and NHS) the tax due.

That is the case for directors and certain others, but not employees. Saints will only be paying the PAYE/NIC when the players are actually paid.

The government will also pay the employer’s NI and pension contributions. It may not be generally realised that no money has been handed over yet. The employer still has to pay the wages as usual and then claim them back later. ‘Hopefully’ the government website will be live during the week after next and reimbursement should follow within two or three weeks of that.

As for the £10,000 grant to business ratepayers I have been told that ‘hopefully’ EBC will be sending that out later next week too.

For the last week and a half I have been re-deployed from my usual day job to help process the £10k and £25k grants to business ratepayers (not for EBC but for another local authority) so rest assured these payments are going to be forthcoming as soon as is possible...

Your understanding is wrong unfortunately. A friend I know (plus others) who works for saints were furloughed for an initial 3 weeks on Friday. To say I’m a more than a little disappointed at the clubs actions is an understatement.
The club have now put out a statement confirming what I was told. No staff have been or will be furloughed, at least not before June 30.

Sorry, wild-saint. Your information was wrong.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

It doesn't. I have read elsewhere it is 10%.

If so, it's hardly the great gesture people are making it out to be.

"Boss, the world's in a mess and I ain't playing or training, so I'll have just £90k a week for the next few months, you can square me up for the other £10k a week when this ****'s blown over".

Wow, the height of generosity.

"Boss, the world's in a mess and I ain't playing or training, so I'll have just £90k a week for the next few months, you can square me up for the other £10k a week when this ****'s blown over".

exactly this, it’s not a pay cut it seems.

I found a source, it's in the Grauniad. Follow up article related to West Ham.

The Guardian: West Ham hope their players will follow Southampton and defer wages.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/09/southampton-players-become-first-in-premier-league-to-defer-wages

If it's enough to keep everyone else on 100% whilst this ticks over without taking public money then that's good enough for me.

Not saying which is right and which is wrong, but would you tend to trust a long established, quality broadsheet newspaper, or Sky Sports News.

Bottom line is you don’t know but that’s seemingly not stopping you getting all bent out of shape about it.

For the last week and a half I have been re-deployed from my usual day job to help process the £10k and £25k grants to business ratepayers (not for EBC but for another local authority) so rest assured these payments are going to be forthcoming as soon as is possible...

Good to hear.

Stop picking on footballers FFS

Your understanding is wrong unfortunately. A friend I know (plus others) who works for saints were furloughed for an initial 3 weeks on Friday. To say I’m a more than a little disappointed at the clubs actions is an understatement.

Any comment from this poster, as it appears he was fed a load of bol locks or what?

Any comment from this poster, as it appears he was fed a load of bol locks or what?
Not sure whether it's just misinformed or malicious, but certainly wrong.

I was fairly sure this was the case but was waiting for confirmation from a senior person at the club which I was going to get this Saturday. But no need now. The club have acted with great integrity, been very clear about it and given a lead to the rest of the PL. Well done.

Don't know about that! Just went onto Twitter and lots of the big sources drawing attention to Saints being first to reach an agreement like this.

Just from a first look...

BBC:

Guardian:

Sky:

Just shown St Mary’s on Portuguese tv, telling us that Southampton are the first Premiership team to come to a deal with their players.

Just be honest sue. If Boris dies of the virus you're going to be one of the ones secretly happy about it. Probably not all that secretly to be honest, you'll most likely have a bottle or five to celebrate.

I'm not happy that anybody more should die from the virus, so can I suggest your vile suggestion says more about you than me.

Lol. Yeah go Trump. He’s the man to always give the gullible morons a scapegoat. Listen to this genius not WHO. Did he lower to a whisper so you thought he was being super intelligent?

hey, take a break. You don’t have to be a ***** everyday of your life.

My mum was diagnosed with it earlier this week and at 9pm today was taken to hospital and put straight on oxygen. Praying she doesn't get out on a ventilator as everything I read about that says that once you get to that stage it's 50/50...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My mum was diagnosed with it earlier this week and at 9pm today was taken to hospital and put straight on oxygen. Praying she doesn't get out on a ventilator as everything I read about that says that once you get to that stage it's 50/50...

All the best to you and your mum. Can only imagine how worried you are.

Best wishes pal, I hope she pulls through!

Sorry to hear that, wishing you and your mum all the best.

Thoughts are with you, your mum and family. Hoping it’s just a bit of oxygen support.

All the very best to your Mum. She is in good hands mate.

opinion piece on the current situation

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/ian-herbert-footballs-very-future-is-at-stake-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-so-the-stubborn-players-must-cut-the-clubs-some-slack/ar-BB12p18j?ocid=spartandhp

this bit was interesting

Enders Research last month, which showed only four Premier League clubs have more assets that can quickly be converted into cash than monthly outgoings - 'positive net current assets'.

They are Arsenal, Bournemouth, Burnley and Southampton.

but the general tact of the article is a lot of clubs are way of saints with, regards to player wages, mostly down to the PFA.

taken from this article

Southampton's management team were preparing to furlough non-playing staff on Wednesday night, risking all the reputational damage attached to that term since Liverpool brought a public relations disaster down on their own heads seven days ago.

It was this prospect which extracted a compromise of sorts from Southampton's players.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/ian-herbert-footballs-very-future-is-at-stake-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-so-the-stubborn-players-must-cut-the-clubs-some-slack/ar-BB12p18j?ocid=spartandhp

seems like the poster was right at the time but the players stepped up and did the right thing.

The important part for me is the commitment that the club are going to cover 100% of the non playing staff's wages and the deferment probably helps them do that. I'm really pleased our club are doing this.

Best wishes mate, she will be well looked after.

It wasn’t ******** at all mate. The club have u turned and decided not to use the JRS. Not really a surprise after the backlash other clubs faced. Can only tell you what Happened as I personally know the person who was furloughed in the Friday.

Not sure whether it's just misinformed or malicious, but certainly wrong.

I was fairly sure this was the case but was waiting for confirmation from a senior person at the club which I was going to get this Saturday. But no need now. The club have acted with great integrity, been very clear about it and given a lead to the rest of the PL. Well done.

Mate , 100% they furloughed staff and have since unturned due to the backlash. Feel free to go back to your senior person for confirmation but my friend was actually told on that Friday.

Best wishes to your mum. Please keep us up to date on this one.

All the best to your mum, you and your family at this difficult time.