Arsenal EFL Cup - Match Thread

St Chalet

F*cking go for it. We can beat them if our strongest team turns up.

Never thought I would care about the League Cup this season but we're here now, thanks to some excellent rotation/ squad management by Claude. Go for it, perfectly winnable.

Edited by CB Fry

I think this team selection is very important and one of the most important Puel has had to make all season.

I personally would go for bust and put out a very strong team

Forster

Soares

Fonte

Yoshida

McQueen

Romeu

Classie

Davis

Tadic

Long

Redmond

and hope for the best against Palace I think it is next weekend

Never thought I would care about the League Cup this season but we're here now, thanks to some excellent rotation/ squad management by Claude. Go for it, perfectly winnable.

It really might be winnable - and beating that sour puss Wenger would be nearly as satisfying as putting one over Ronald.

Should be no reason Cedric and Bertrand can't play on Wednesday and then again on Saturday at Palace. Both have had large rest periods already this season and both are substantially better than their respective backups (although McQueen looks good).

But fully expect Martina, Yoshida and McQueen to play with Austin also being rested.

Hard to tell what sort of team Arsenal will pick but whatever it is its obviously a tough game, especially as we won't play our best XI.

100% agree with VfTT......please don't play Martina (ever again). How he is a pro footballer when he can't defend and can't cross a ball under no pressure is beyond me.

I would much rather have Yoshi at RB than Martina. Would hope that Cedric can play 2 games a week as he had a lengthy spell out.

Be interesting to see who he goes up top with - Long/Rodriguez (who are both in woeful form) or Olamula?

Tadic will not be fit for this game unfortunately. I saw him at the ground and spoke to him very briefly after the game today and he is still in bandages and said he will probably be back for the Palace game.

If his face was bandaged up, how can you be sure it was him? Were his earlobes sticking out?

Puel's gamble appears to have paid off today leaving him the chance to play a strong side Wednesday. I'd expect to see something like:

Forster

Martina

Fonte

Yoshida

McQueen

Romeu

Classie

Davis

Tadic

Long

Boufal

Not Clasie or Davies please... these guys are becoming reserves very rapidly...

why so we can finish 9th, I would take 17th and get through to last 32 of el and league cup semi final

He has to write that to save face. He's in too deep. It's like that neighbour who calls me Paul. I never corrected him the first few times and now we're past that, it'd be too awkward now.

I'd like to see van dijk start personally either alongside yoshi or Jose.

Expect the fullbacks to rotate. Hopefully Martina will play like he did in early part of season and late last rather than last couple of outings. People are far too quick to write players off imo.

Expect Davis and clasie to come in hopefully alongside Romeu. Reed off the bench if needed.

Up front you'd think long would start, with hopefully boufal and redmond if tadic is still out.

It's a very tough game but I'd guess arsenal will be rotating too.

So many choices all over the pitch, which is nice when we're fighting in three fronts I guess. I'd rest VVD but otherwise keep it fairly strong.

Forster

Cedric - Yoshida - Fonte - McQ

Davis - Clasie - JWP

Boufal - J Rod - Tadic

That midfield would be picked apart; and J-Rod would be a risky pick.

That midfield would be picked apart; and J-Rod would be a risky pick.

J Rod needs game time and confidence from somewhere. Arsenal midfielders aren't exactly know for being bruisers, so the work rate of Clasie, Davis and JWP is perhaps more important than having Rom's physical presence.

J Rod needs game time and confidence from somewhere. Arsenal midfielders aren't exactly know for being bruisers, so the work rate of Clasie, Davis and JWP is perhaps more important than having Rom's physical presence.

I suppose if there is any truth in the rumour of J-Rod to Hull or WBA, he needs to be kept in the shop window. Maybe Long up front; it looks like Tadic may not be ready yet. Looking ahead to the Palace game you'd think young Sims would start again with Chaz.

Martina's had some good and bad games for us and Cedric has had some good and bad games for us. These past weeks it's been good for Cedric and bad for Martina. It happens. I'm very pleased that Cedric seems to have found his feet lately, and I hope Martina will soon again as well.

Stop it Dutchie, sensible posts aren't allowed here.

First team, no messing about. Rest a few at Palace so we are ready for Hapoel. The two cup games are massive. We are safely mid table in the league and well positioned for a run after Christmas. Advancing to the knock out stages of the EL would be great, and there is no reason we can't get to the League Cup Final, and even win it. Don't bugger about Claude.

Not Clasie or Davies please... these guys are becoming reserves very rapidly...

We have two midfield pairs. Up to now Claude has regarded Davis/Clasie as the league pair and JWP/Hojbjerg in the cups.

That may be changing as JWP especially, and Hojbjerg had good games yesterday, but Davis and Clasie aren't reserves, just a different rotation.

Personally, I think Davis is still better than JWP and Clasie is the weakest link.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

First team, no messing about. Rest a few at Palace so we are ready for Hapoel. The two cup games are massive. We are safely mid table in the league and well positioned for a run after Christmas. Advancing to the knock out stages of the EL would be great, and there is no reason we can't get to the League Cup Final, and even win it. Don't bugger about Claude.

It won't be the "first team", if by that you mean the usual Prem starters.

Be'er Sheva may be slightly stronger as it's critical for qualification, but we'll still see about 18 players involved in the next 4 games.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Rotation is about managing cumulative fatigue. We don't need to rotate just because there is a Sun / Weds pair of matches.

Out of the next three games, Palace should be the one where anyone is rested.

The win today has given everyone a lift. We need to concentrate on the league, not worry about the Cups and

Europe.

lets concentrate on the league to qualify for Europe.......what's the point next season you`ll be saying lets throw the cups and concentrate on the league

The win yesterday proves that we need to do the exact opposite of what you say.

there is no way in the world that we are going to get relegated this season so lets go for all the cups and see what it brings.

I would play my strongest side on Wednesday and really take the game to Arsenal

this is a rare chance for Saints to do something ..........lets make the most of it

Just for reference:

Arsenal: Martinez, Jenkinson, Holding, Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny, Maitland-Niles, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Reine-Adelaide, Iwobi, Lucas Perez.

Subs: Giroud, Bielik, Zelalem, Macey, Sheaf, Willock, Bola.

This competition is the best opportunity we have to win a trophy, especially if Arsenal play mostly reserves, so I'm hoping CP gives it some priority in team selection.

Martina's had some good and bad games for us and Cedric has had some good and bad games for us. These past weeks it's been good for Cedric and bad for Martina. It happens. I'm very pleased that Cedric seems to have found his feet lately, and I hope Martina will soon again as well.

In addition, we should remember that Martina is technically our third choice right back. Is it any wonder that there are times he doesn't play well?!