The Official Summer Transfers and HCDAJFU Thread

supersonic

Never worth anything like that

I know what you think of Antonio Stevo, so I'll ignore that comment!

It's definitely worth paying £500k for him, although if a better option made itself available, then I wouldn't be disheartened if we didn't go back for him.

Ipswich have not signed Liam Rosenior despite him being available on a free and playing 29 games for them last season. 25 now with a slightly downwards career path, but like Schneiderlin last year, he might benefit from a drop in division. A little lightweight maybe?

I agree that we are short of pace now without antonio and papa.

What about Fabien Brandy as a back-up striker-CHDAJFU?

admittibly he doesn't want to drop below the championship but i think he's still a free agent and we should be able to promise him championship football soon

Really hope he does well for them, one of my favourite ex Saints players.

:(

Why? He was dog sh1t! Couldn't pass, couldn't tackle and never won a single header whenever I saw him play.

The squad is taking shape nicely now though, there are no positions that I think need filling now, we just need to sign some cover at RB, CM, RM and ST.

Here are some of the players we've been linked with;

RB - Danny Coid, a bit-part player at Blackpool. Could do worse for cover but I think we should look younger, possibly a loan from a Prem club/promising RB from the lower leagues?

CM - Brian Stock, Donny Rovers captain but struggled with injury over the past few seasons. He's a Saints fan though, so a move could be on the cards.

RM - Michail Antonio, looks as if he's staying with Reading for the time being unless we stump up some serious cash, although Leeds are rumoured to be tabling a bid.

ST - Rory Fallon, decent striker at Plymouth, wouldn't see him as more than cover but a useful player to have at this level.

Edited by SuperMikey

Why? He was dog sh1t! Couldn't pass, couldn't tackle and never won a single header whenever I saw him play.

Maybe...just maybe that had something to do with him being about 3ft 1 ;)

The squad is taking shape nicely now though, there are no positions that I think need filling now, we just need to sign some cover at RB, CM, RM and ST.

Here are some of the players we've been linked with;

RB - Danny Coid, a bit-part player at Blackpool. Could do worse for cover but I think we should look younger, possibly a loan from a Prem club/promising RB from the lower leagues?

CM - Brian Stock, Donny Rovers captain but struggled with injury over the past few seasons. He's a Saints fan though, so a move could be on the cards.

RM - Michail Antonio, looks as if he's staying with Reading for the time being unless we stump up some serious cash, although Leeds are rumoured to be tabling a bid.

ST - Rory Fallon, decent striker at Plymouth, wouldn't see him as more than cover but a useful player to have at this level.

Coid has broken down according to the ITK guy , doesn't want to leave Blackpool.

Maybe...just maybe that had something to do with him being about 3ft 1 ;)

Coid has broken down according to the ITK guy , doesn't want to leave Blackpool.

Not sure that we would want hinm now FR has signed,and doubt he would come as a cover player.Any idea - from your source -if Coid was first choice ahead of FR ?

What news of the other suggested links from your contact ?

Sorry Andy B - but yes i am serious, are you serious?? do you honestly think we will walk a league with a team which is weaker than last year, get real!!

The best football teams are the ones which recruit better players each summer and we are no different, its called progression!!!!!!

We want to get promoted but hopefully not have to build a completely different team for the Championship.

If people can't see the holes in the team you are very short sited.

I have read some of you lot saying that cus we signed a right back, that is the right back position sorted?????

sorry but we play a minimum 46 league games and are in 3 cup competitions, so that should be at least another 10 games. You think Richardson can play for 56 straight games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Injuries, form and competition are all variables over the season and right now we dont have a balance

Appy - Sorry son but 2 league games where the season was over means nothing. They were essentially dead rubber games, so it was perfect to blood Martin. He is too inexperienced and to compare him to Fonte is crazy...

Too many years of mediocrity have obviously temprered your expectations, however we need more signings and soon.......

are you for real?

please explain to us all how we have a weaker side this year? we have got rid of players who were not up to it (James / Gillet et al) and have lost 2 loan players who were hardly regular starters! We have bought in a quality RB and a decent LB to cover the more than capable Harding and we still havent finished in the market yet. So again, weaker how?

So these holes you speak of, please enlighten us (apart from the RB cover issue that we all know about)

Original post needs updating

28. Bartosz Bialkowski - considering new contract offer

31. Ryan Doble - offered new contract

32. Andrei Pernecky - think he may have been released as his profile was removed from OS yesterday

38. It David not Davis Connolly and he has now extended contract by one year

Ben Reeves is 44 not 42

Add Frazer Richardson

Scored against us twice in the relegation season from champ including a 35 yard chip at st marys

and what a goal it was. He used to play for Carlise and Forest spent about £1m on him. Very decent player struggled to get in the Forest side last season.

are you for real?

please explain to us all how we have a weaker side this year? we have got rid of players who were not up to it (James / Gillet et al) and have lost 2 loan players who were hardly regular starters! We have bought in a quality RB and a decent LB to cover the more than capable Harding and we still havent finished in the market yet. So again, weaker how?

So these holes you speak of, please enlighten us (apart from the RB cover issue that we all know about)

We are weaker this season, because we are back to having the same type of paceless team that put in such a great showing at Swindon last season. Basically we have one player with pace in Dickson who is our left back. We still need pace in midfield and attack which were both provided for by Papa and Antonio last season, so until they are replaced we are a weaker team than last season. The way I see us being stronger is to add to that the urgently needed midfield general and some creative backup for Morgan, and i'd still like us to sign Lisbie from Ipswich as in my opinion he can play the target role instead of Lambert when needed, and also compliment Lambert with his pace.

Anyone else watch the match last night and think that Seedorf would do the midfield general job for us nicely, pie in the sky I know, but he's just what we need.

With the squad now away for ten days and unlikely to have any additions made to it during this time, Pardew is not leaving himself much time to work with any further additions before the kick off in less than four weeks.

What would people prefer, playing a little less financial hard ball and getting our transfer targets now and possibly recouping that extra outlay through better preparation leading to promotion, or sticking to our guns and not paying a penny more than Pardew and Corteses valuation of the player, leaving less preparation time for what for us fans and particularly for Pardew is a crucial season?

We are weaker this season, because we are back to having the same type of paceless team that put in such a great showing at Swindon last season. Basically we have one player with pace in Dickson who is our left back. We still need pace in midfield and attack which were both provided for by Papa and Antonio last season, so until they are replaced we are a weaker team than last season. The way I see us being stronger is to add to that the urgently needed midfield general and some creative backup for Morgan, and i'd still like us to sign Lisbie from Ipswich as in my opinion he can play the target role instead of Lambert when needed, and also compliment Lambert with his pace.

Anyone else watch the match last night and think that Seedorf would do the midfield general job for us nicely, pie in the sky I know, but he's just what we need.

With the squad now away for ten days and unlikely to have any additions made to it during this time, Pardew is not leaving himself much time to work with any further additions before the kick off in less than four weeks.

What would people prefer, playing a little less financial hard ball and getting our transfer targets now and possibly recouping that extra outlay through better preparation leading to promotion, or sticking to our guns and not paying a penny more than Pardew and Corteses valuation of the player, leaving less preparation time for what for us fans and particularly for Pardew is a crucial season?

Compare the team from that match against swindon last year to our team now. We are not weaker.

we do lack pace, no doubt about it

We do indeed which i'm sure will be look at by Pardew, but for some people to say we were alot weaker is crazy, we just need two or three tweaks.

You are right about us needing pace in the squad and I am convinced that AP knows this and is going to address it. He did last year with the acquisitions of both papa and Antonio, neither of whom had any profile before they arrived. Your argument about the team falls down as neither Papa nor Antonio were regular starters. Our starting 11 on the 7th August should be stronger (injuries permitting) than the starting 11 on the last day of last season.

With regard to playing hardball over transfers. I would rather we played as hard as possible.if this ride is going to take us to the Prem we are going to have to buy in loads more players of increasing quality and value. If we get a reputation as push overs we will get taken for a ride by agents and selling clubs time and again. I'd rather NC become a negotiator to be feared.

You are right about us needing pace in the squad and I am convinced that AP knows this and is going to address it. He did last year with the acquisitions of both papa and Antonio, neither of whom had any profile before they arrived. Your argument about the team falls down as neither Papa nor Antonio were regular starters. Our starting 11 on the 7th August should be stronger (injuries permitting) than the starting 11 on the last day of last season.

With regard to playing hardball over transfers. I would rather we played as hard as possible.if this ride is going to take us to the Prem we are going to have to buy in loads more players of increasing quality and value. If we get a reputation as push overs we will get taken for a ride by agents and selling clubs time and again. I'd rather NC become a negotiator to be feared.

Papa had no profile? You're kidding right? Just because he wasn't famous over here doesn't mean he wasn't known in Italy. Plus he was Cortese's signing, not Pardews.

i am assuming the pace you refer to is via Antonio? How many games did he start in? How many games did he go missing in? Weaker now than v Swindon last season? No way!

Team v Swindon away 09/10:

Davis, James, Thomas, Lancashire, Harding, Schneiderlin, Wotton , Mellis, Lallana, Paterson , Lambert

First Team now:

Davis , Richardson, Fonte, Jaidi, Harding , Schneiderlin, Hammond, Puncheon, Lallana, Barnard, Lambert

So...3 of the back 4 are better

....2 new and better midfielders

....Another striker who can get over 20 goals in L1.

Your'e nuts if you say that a team with James, Wotton and Paterson (very slow players) is better and has more pace than one with Richardson , Puncheon and Barnard.

Papa had no profile? You're kidding right? Just because he wasn't famous over here doesn't mean he wasn't known in Italy. Plus he was Cortese's signing, not Pardews.

Of course I meant he had no profile over here. Had the average Saints fan, or football fan even, heard of him before he signed for us last year. Sure there will be football obsessives and FM fans who will have picked up on him but i believe that 99% of saints fans had never heard of him before he signed. Cortese's or Pardews signing - can't be proven one way or the other and not overly relevant IMO.

Sorry Mike, we all know the current strongest eleven is strong, but it is severely lacking in pace.

I wouls argue that our team is weaker, as we have only got a modest upgrade at both left and right back and that is not guaranteed anyway. We also don't have any game changers from the bench.

It is all well and good harping on about the first eleven but it is a team game and subs change games. Right now, we have lost Antonio who on current form would be a starter and Papa who is a high impact player from the bench.

Connolly is too similar to Barnard and the current squad has no one to get in behind the defence. We all knew that was missing last year. We need a speedster up front and at least one on the wing.

We are also powder puff light in centre mid, i watched us get bullied by Millwall at the Den. We need a strong holding player to break up play. Wotton clearly isn't good enough.

Overall we have a good squad but teams will spot the lack of pace in the team and exploit it. It needs to be sorted out and fast

Sorry Mike, we all know the current strongest eleven is strong, but it is severely lacking in pace.

I wouls argue that our team is weaker, as we have only got a modest upgrade at both left and right back and that is not guaranteed anyway. We also don't have any game changers from the bench. Richardson was in the team of the year, that suggests he is a vast improvement on what we had at RB last season. As for Left back, I think Harding will still be there.

It is all well and good harping on about the first eleven but it is a team game and subs change games. Right now, we have lost Antonio who on current form would be a starter and Papa who is a high impact player from the bench.

I agree with you about Antonio, but I still have a feeling we will sign him. The Reading friendly just seems to random.

Connolly is too similar to Barnard and the current squad has no one to get in behind the defence. We all knew that was missing last year. We need a speedster up front and at least one on the wing.

Connolly similar to Barnard? Completely disagree.

We are also powder puff light in centre mid, i watched us get bullied by Millwall at the Den. We need a strong holding player to break up play. Wotton clearly isn't good enough.

Overall we have a good squad but teams will spot the lack of pace in the team and exploit it. It needs to be sorted out and fast

Overall I think with Harding, Dickson, Richardson, Lallana and Puncheon we have enough pace in the match day squad right now. Connolly and Barnard aren't as slow as people make out either.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Rooney to play as a trialist?

Would you sign him without a trial after the way he performed in SA?

(Yes I know they mean John Rooney...)

I am sorry if this has already been posted but there has been talk of Rooney joining us from Maccessfield

He is currently training with a League 1 side

Could it be us?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/macclesfield_town/8802154.stm

Sounded positive, until I got to this bit....."Striker Rooney, 19, has failed to cement a regular starting place, scoring just four goals in two seasons. "

Sounded positive, until I got to this bit....."Striker Rooney, 19, has failed to cement a regular starting place, scoring just four goals in two seasons. "

Yeah - think you got that right. Don't want some trumpted up Billy big shoes here thinking they're great because their name happens to be Rooney FFS....

...and Johnny can go take a hike too!!!

Seriously though, if he is anything like his big brother - no thanks.

I am sorry if this has already been posted but there has been talk of Rooney joining us from Maccessfield

He is currently training with a League 1 side

Could it be us?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/macclesfield_town/8802154.stm

I also saw that article.

So stolen hub cap alert in Southampton, and possibly Switzerland at the moment.