Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

He gives me the willies at the moment, but I think he can make it. He needs a leader next to him, and better protection than he's getting at the moment. Even DoubleVD would struggle.

Both those would make him a better defender by default, but it wouldn't eliminate the mistakes or silly fouls. I think he loses his head too much and it affects his decision making and concentration, which are both fundamental pieces to defending these days, even moreso in a struggling team. If he could strip the emotion from his game then he may be better, but right now he costs us too often.

Anyone else praying some European club are desperate for a centre back and bid for him before September? Fact is he's been so bad that he's another one we are probably stuck with on big wages for another 4 years :(

He wont sit out his contract. He is more likely to go the same route as VVD if we are in for another season of struggle. He came here to compete in europe not be happy with finishing 17th. My own opinion is he a crap defender and would not be a loss.

He wont sit out his contract. He is more likely to go the same route as VVD if we are in for another season of struggle. He came here to compete in europe not be happy with finishing 17th. My own opinion is he a crap defender and would not be a loss.

You’re comparing Hoedt with VVD? I can’t see anyone decent coming in for Hoedt regardless of how much we struggle. Let alone a top six side paying a big fee

Assume his concussion at Old Trafford is still lingering, if he genuinely thinks he belongs at European level.

You’re comparing Hoedt with VVD? I can’t see anyone decent coming in for Hoedt regardless of how much we struggle. Let alone a top six side paying a big fee

Hoedt is shyte.

Maybe he might cut it in a different league with a side that gets into Europe but here in the prem, he is crap

Christ, he'd have some front. VVD was class and if anything was selling himself short doing all that simply for a move to Liverpool.

Whilst certainly not the only one, he's one of the main reasons we are no where near european football!

But, here's hoping it comes to that anyway

A team he helped get to the Champions League final a few months after he left?

yes, because i believe he was good enough to play for the team that took them apart in that final

not that i want to get into a debate with you bout personal football opinions and bore everyone else to death

Please fkkk off you useless turd.

He’s one of he crappest CBS I’ve seen at Saints and I’ve seen a few (Jakobsson was utter toilet but this guy is another level of sh1t).

If he genuinely thinks he can do better then he’s deluded as fkkk. Bloke is crap, totally crap.

I couldn't name a single positive about him. He's slow, very poor on the ball, regularly loses the aerial battle and allows strikers to bully him all game. Watching him reminds me of the video of Neil Warnock giving a half time team talk at huddersfield where he has a go at his defenders for letting their forwards back into them constantly. Hoedt and Stephens are exactly the same. Weak physically and even weaker mentally

A dreadful defender and we should be selling him at the first opportunity

I perused a Lazio forum a few days ago to get a feel from their perspective as tbh I'd never heard of the bloke until recently. The general feeling I got was that they rate him as good cover right now, someone who will improve with more games. It was also said that he'd be more suited to the English game as he struggles playing in a 3 over there, great in the air, dangerous at set pieces but not the quickest feet. Appears some would prefer to keep him but getting £15m is a good deal for Lazio.

They're more concerned with Keita Balde's attitude and likely departure, bit of a VvD thing going on over there.

I remember reading this on their forum last year, the warning signs were there, struggled in a back 3 (struggles in a 2 as well!) - but this bit is baffling "great in the air" :)

He's not beyond hope but there are fundamental issues - equally for those lording Vest we should be careful as I remember after 2 games people saying Hoet looked class !. The bottom line is good CBs are very hard to find but vitally important to a good team (we went down to my mind as we never replaced Svensson). The issue I (and others I think) have with him is not just the silly mistakes that have increasingly come into his game - that can be resolved, but there are more fundamental issues - overplaying at the back leading to reckless tackles, little strength, not great in the air, no pace. Generally the best teams have one 'marker' and one 'coverer' - the skill set for the marker should be a big powerful lump who is always in the way and hard to get past, the cover should be good on the ball, quick with good anticipation (rarely you get both - ie Alderwereld and VVD). I just don't know where Hoet fits in this - he definately isn't cover - and seems to be poor as marker even though you would hope that would be his strength (back end of last season about 3 times a fwd powered in a header and Hoet was left doing some kind of odd chicken impression where he had been toppled over). As such I can't see any future for him (in this league) aside from emergency cover - and I think we have equally below-average (and cheaper / more likely to improve) cases in Bed and Stephens. Hope I'm wrong (also hope I don't see anymore chicken impressions). Can't comment on the attitude thing - all I can say is if in any way true at all he must have more front that Brighton given his performances to date.

He's not beyond hope but there are fundamental issues - equally for those lording Vest we should be careful as I remember after 2 games people saying Hoet looked class !. The bottom line is good CBs are very hard to find but vitally important to a good team (we went down to my mind as we never replaced Svensson). The issue I (and others I think) have with him is not just the silly mistakes that have increasingly come into his game - that can be resolved, but there are more fundamental issues - overplaying at the back leading to reckless tackles, little strength, not great in the air, no pace. Generally the best teams have one 'marker' and one 'coverer' - the skill set for the marker should be a big powerful lump who is always in the way and hard to get past, the cover should be good on the ball, quick with good anticipation (rarely you get both - ie Alderwereld and VVD). I just don't know where Hoet fits in this - he definately isn't cover - and seems to be poor as marker even though you would hope that would be his strength (back end of last season about 3 times a fwd powered in a header and Hoet was left doing some kind of odd chicken impression where he had been toppled over). As such I can't see any future for him (in this league) aside from emergency cover - and I think we have equally below-average (and cheaper / more likely to improve) cases in Bed and Stephens. Hope I'm wrong (also hope I don't see anymore chicken impressions). Can't comment on the attitude thing - all I can say is if in any way true at all he must have more front that Brighton given his performances to date.

Your description of a CB pair is why I think Yoshida and Vest would be a decent combination.

Please fkkk off you useless turd.

He’s one of he crappest CBS I’ve seen at Saints and I’ve seen a few (Jakobsson was utter toilet but this guy is another level of sh1t).

If he genuinely thinks he can do better then he’s deluded as fkkk. Bloke is crap, totally crap.

He's like a worse Hooiveld in terms of ability and personality :lol:

Either him abroad, or Stephens off to the championship is my hope. We don't need this many CB's and neither of these are good enough or probably ever will be good enough.

Stephens is needed for cover at Right back and Centre back and I have higher hopes for him than Hoedt

Would say he's an £18m Jos Hooiveld, but that would probably be very harsh on Hooiveld who came across as a decent bloke.

Beat me to it...

Spot on. Some of our supporters need to get a ****kng grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a fans forum get over it.

That assumes someone decent is going to want him. Based on what he has shown since he's been with us I can't believe that's the case at the moment. I don't think any of our players should be happy with finishing 17th but players like Hoedt need to accept it's the way they have played that's contributed to that and that they have to do better!

If he's not doing that, Hughes should take him out of the squad and play someone else. I would much rather see Yoshida or Bednarek in the first team that him personally.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Either him abroad, or Stephens off to the championship is my hope. We don't need this many CB's and neither of these are good enough or probably ever will be good enough.

So if either of these proved to be any good as we all hope they would ,then we'd be looking for at least 2 more center backs to cover the shortfall of these 2....but yes these 2 dont inspire a fans confidence

so christ knows what it must do to the rest of the professionals in the team eh?

I used to think he was like a Dutch Aaron Martin but I now think that’s harsh on AM. Clearly isn’t good enough for Prem football yet we persist with playing him - is that coming from someone above the managers head? If we persist with him and Stephens I have no doubt we will go down.

I used to think he was like a Dutch Aaron Martin but I now think that’s harsh on AM. Clearly isn’t good enough for Prem football yet we persist with playing him - is that coming from someone above the managers head? If we persist with him and Stephens I have no doubt we will go down.

Why would it be? I seriously don't see Hughes as the sort of bloke who would be happy to be told who has to play. I think it is far more simple in that Hughes rates Hoedt more than the fans.

Hoedt on his own is bad.

Spephens on his own is bad.

Combine the pair and you have a total shambles.

Yoshi and vest with bednarek next in line from now on I would be happy with. Every time I see the chuckle brothers starting my heart sinks. Hughes persisting with them is a quick way to be in the bottom 3 by next month.

Why would it be? I seriously don't see Hughes as the sort of bloke who would be happy to be told who has to play. I think it is far more simple in that Hughes rates Hoedt more than the fans.

Yes I believe you are right which is really truely staggering....

If Hughes honestly think Hoedt is good enough for the Premier League then we have a serious problem with him at the helm and I was one of his advocates to get the job full time too....

Managers who either cannot see their weakest players or are not capable of dropping players they ‘clearly’ are bias towards are doomed to fail.

• 1 year later...
He certainly knows how not to get back in favour

Yep. Comes across as a total bellend. He seems to be under the delusion that his being surplus to requirements is based solely on his fitness levels, and completely unable to grasp the fact that he's simply not good enough.