Come on Real Madrid!!

Saint Billy

We all know Ramos is a dirty player - just look at the number of red cards he has got. Looking on Google, as of December 2017, he had 24 which is impressive. But for anyone to say that he deliberately hurt Salah with a judo throw is pushing it a little.

But really with the money they have spent, the size of the club and depth of squad, what they are effectively saying is that they are a one man team. I appreciate that losing your talismanic striker is a huge set back. Or when substituting Salah, maybe the manager could have used one of the forwards he brought with him, rather than putting on a midfielder? Why take Danny Ings, Dominic Solanke and Ben Woodburn if you are not going to have any intention of using them? Maybe he expected Mané to step up more than he did (inspite of his goal). It was Mané's chance to really shine, not least as he isn't hugely happy playing second fiddle to Salah.

Ramos is absolutely dirty as ****, bit of a scum player really. Would have annoyed me if he'd done the same to one of our players. But as with anything connected with Liverpool, they're going OTT about it and attributing everything that happened to this actions.

At the end of the day, you're not going to win the CL with Jordan Henderson crabbing around in midfield, Salah or no Salah. And you're also not going to win the CL if your goalkeeper throws it in the net, twice. So whilst I can understand why they are aggrieved by Ramos, that was certainly not the reason they lost and they need to forget it

Over 328k now.....

I find them a little strange, and it certainly plays into the "victim" cliché. And then on the other hand, to send death threats to their goalie and his family...classy!!

Liverpool fans in general are the worst in my experience.

From the threats to Gerrard, the love in with the cheat Suarez and the behaviour which led to English teams being banned from Europe as a very few examples.

They have no shame in cheering a dirty foul by one of their own players one minute then screaming like a victim the next when someone does it to their team or claiming tapping up for one of their players yet praising the blatant own tapping up.

A generalisation yes but I have yet to meet one Liverpool I respect with regards to their view of football...the minority set of idiots that are at every club seems to have infected them all. The media probably don't help as its the mindset shown by high profile idiots like carragher , Quinn etc.

Read some liverpool fans saying Ramos is the dirtiest player they have seen..must have forgetten about the days of Souness and McMahon running around in midfield chogging people down willy nilly........

Lawrenson and Hansen in their prime weren't averse to a spot of wrestling Danny Wallace, Austin Hayes, or whoever to the the ground.

At The Dell once I remember Lawrenson catching the ball as it was about to sail over his head into the path of one of our nippy forwards. Should have been a red card, but the ref pulled out a yellow, only for half the team to engulf him in protest.

Also recall Dalglish with arms wrestling Mick Channon in the early 80's. They were the masters of the sneaky foul (although were a bloody good team).

Credit to John McGrath and The Alehouse team though, they didn't put up with that sort of sh!t, even when Liverpool had Tommy Smith in their side, and the 'assaults' were a bit more open for all to see.

Ramos is absolutely dirty as ****, bit of a scum player really. Would have annoyed me if he'd done the same to one of our players. But as with anything connected with Liverpool, they're going OTT about it and attributing everything that happened to this actions.

This is about it for me. Looked a bit like a judo throw from where I was. But looking at their pedestrian midfield and how few passes they made in comparison to RM it's hardly surprising. More surprising is the position they managed in the league.

Liverpool fans in general are the worst in my experience .

The ones from Liverpool who go to the games are some of the most reasonable and knowledgeable I’ve met in 40 odd years of supporting Saints. There’s certainly more bias and general cluelessness at St Mary’s than there is amongst that group. Due to their success & the “history“ surrounding the club, they’ve inherited a vast number of idiots from around the country, probably the children of my generation, as we started watching the game when their success started. There’s also a lot from the surrounding areas, who aren’t really scousers at all, more woolly backs. It’s a great city with great people in, whether red or blue they’re a pleasure to talk football with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lawrenson and Hansen in their prime weren't averse to a spot of wrestling Danny Wallace, Austin Hayes, or whoever to the the ground.

At The Dell once I remember Lawrenson catching the ball as it was about to sail over his head into the path of one of our nippy forwards. Should have been a red card, but the ref pulled out a yellow, only for half the team to engulf him in protest.

Also recall Dalglish with arms wrestling Mick Channon in the early 80's. They were the masters of the sneaky foul (although were a bloody good team).

Credit to John McGrath and The Alehouse team though, they didn't put up with that sort of sh!t, even when Liverpool had Tommy Smith in their side, and the 'assaults' were a bit more open for all to see.

I think it was actually Gary Gillespie who caught the ball to stop it reaching George Lawrence. In the 79-90 season game we won 3-2 Muppet Thompson rugby tackled Steve Williams on the halfway line to stop him going clear - and of course stayed on the pitch.

harbouring an unhealthy, gnarled, malignant state of mind. No. It's a bit of fun.

Thanks for making my point for me. If holding ancient, relatively unsubstantiated grudges is "fun" for you, then you're either not right in the head or your current life is so outrageously dull that you need to dwell on the past for excitement. Take your pick. I'll happily be the "weird one" for not belonging to either camp.

Thanks for making my point for me. If holding ancient, relatively unsubstantiated grudges is "fun" for you, then you're either not right in the head or your current life is so outrageously dull that you need to dwell on the past for excitement. Take your pick. I'll happily be the "weird one" for not belonging to either camp.

It's not, dinlow. Read the post again. And have a good day, y'all.

It's not, dinlow. Read the post again. And have a good day, y'all.

I understand re-reading is something you probably find yourself doing quite often, but in this case, are you aware that I quoted you? It's right there, in your own words.

And for the record, no one says y'all in California unless they're visiting from Texas. Perhaps consider a visit yourself? Even though you maintain your life isn't dull, your 15,000 posts on this message board suggest otherwise. A little vacation might do you some good.

Later, dude.

Are you sure you’re cut out for this football supporter lark?

I understand re-reading is something you probably find yourself doing quite often, but in this case, are you aware that I quoted you? It's right there, in your own words.

And for the record, no one says y'all in California unless they're visiting from Texas. Perhaps consider a visit yourself? Even though you maintain your life isn't dull, your 15,000 posts on this message board suggest otherwise. A little vacation might do you some good.

Later, dude.

That's over 12 years, bro. About 3 a day. I totally did the math.

And I have holidays, not vacations.

The ones from Liverpool who go to the games are some of the most reasonable and knowledgeable I’ve met in 40 odd years of supporting Saints. There’s certainly more bias and general cluelessness at St Mary’s than there is amongst that group. Due to their success & the “history“ surrounding the club, they’ve inherited a vast number of idiots from around the country, probably the children of my generation, as we started watching the game when their success started. There’s also a lot from the surrounding areas, who aren’t really scousers at all, more woolly backs. It’s a great city with great people in, whether red or blue they’re a pleasure to talk football with.

well the ones I played football with were right ar-seholes. They were like a lot of Scoucers I met, they can give the banter out but if you give it back!!!

Its ironic how they are the victims but all most do on here is bleat about how 'they took all of our players....boo hoo'

Some people just wont let it go.

Maybe on the Celtic forum there is a thread crying about how we took all of their players.

Its ironic how they are the victims but all most do on here is bleat about how 'they took all of our players....boo hoo'

Some people just wont let it go.

Maybe on the Celtic forum there is a thread crying about how we took all of their players.

Unlikely especially considering that we took Forster off their hands.

well the ones I played football with were right ar-seholes. They were like a lot of Scoucers I met, they can give the banter out but if you give it back!!!

Agree,met a good few in the forces,could hand it out big time but the scally humour soon changed when a bit of stick came their way.

If you want to make that argument, you'll be arguing with a LOT of people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10595457/Schadenfreude-is-the-dominant-emotion-for-football-fans.html

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/university-study-examines-schadenfreude-in-football-fans-300012052.html

I had to block you on Twitter, please don't come on here and try and wind everyone up. We have enough trolls.

I had to block you on Twitter, please don't come on here and try and wind everyone up. We have enough trolls.

I don't know who you think I am, but I rarely use social media or online forums in general, so you're going to have to find a new bogeyman.

As for trying to wind people up, I'm not. Was merely pointing out blatant hypocrisy where I saw it. The fact that it drew such a defensive reaction tells me I hit a nerve, but fear not, I won't crash the Saintsweb pity party anymore.

I don't know who you think I am, but I rarely use social media or online forums in general, so you're going to have to find a new bogeyman.

As for trying to wind people up, I'm not. Was merely pointing out blatant hypocrisy where I saw it. The fact that it drew such a defensive reaction tells me I hit a nerve, but fear not, I won't crash the Saintsweb pity party anymore.

Pipe down Glasgow.

I think that the general reaction you got was that being in America you seem not to understand the dynamic between clubs and their supporters here in the UK. What you see as hypocrisy is actually more like pantomime. HTH

EDIT - in case you need it https://britishtheatre.com/explaining-pantomimes-to-americans/

Edited by angelman

The world’s classiest football club face a potential behind closed doors Champions League match next season as punishment for the very enthusiastic and entirely reasonable actions of their supporters before the Man City QF game at Anfield...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/30/liverpool-could-forced-play-champions-league-match-behind-closed/

I think that the general reaction you got was that being in America you seem not to understand the dynamic between clubs and their supporters here in the UK. What you see as hypocrisy is actually more like pantomime. HTH

EDIT - in case you need it https://britishtheatre.com/explaining-pantomimes-to-americans/

Given that a number of your countrymen share my view I don't think this is a lost in cultural translation moment...

I think it was actually Gary Gillespie who caught the ball to stop it reaching George Lawrence. In the 79-90 season game we won 3-2 Muppet Thompson rugby tackled Steve Williams on the halfway line to stop him going clear - and of course stayed on the pitch.

That was a long old season!

Regarding Karius, in The Times yesterday Matthew Syed had a piece about him basically saying that the empahasis on maintaing a high-press game agains Madrid contributed to his mistakes. He was so busy concentrating on keeping the game going that he failed to notice (!) Benzema closing him down on his left. Similarly for the Bale shot he was too busy thinking about what he was going to do after catching the ball that he buggered it up.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lack-of-awareness-not-focus-cost-loris-karius-against-real-madrid-jlh700b76 (paywall)

"Loris Karius was too focused to think clearly"

Loris Karius would doubtless concur with this analysis. The Liverpool goalkeeper made a critical mistake to gift Real Madrid their opening goal in the Champions League final on Saturday. Some commentators said that he was careless, others suggested (predictably) that he lacked focus. The problem, however, is that he may have been too focused. So eager was he to distribute the ball that he did not notice that Karim Benzema was in a perfect position to deflect it into his net.

In an astute analysis for ESPN, Shaka Hislop, the former Newcastle United goalkeeper, made similar claims about Karius. The ’keeper, he said, had been instructed by Jürgen Klopp to sustain pressure on Real by getting the ball upfield quickly. This was sound advice, but the 24-year-old became too preoccupied with this one objective. “Karius gets the ball in his hands, the first thing he is thinking about is get play restarted . . . without making sure Benzema clears out,” Hislop said.

Although the second mistake looked superficially different, Hislop argued that it emerged from the same loss of situational awareness. “And then the Bale goal . . . I am convinced that yet again [Karius] is thinking, ‘Let me make this save and put Real Madrid on the back foot’. When the ball arrives, his feet are in a straddle position as if he is trying to run forward with it, before making the save.”

Regarding Karius, in The Times yesterday Matthew Syed had a piece about him basically saying that the empahasis on maintaing a high-press game agains Madrid contributed to his mistakes. He was so busy concentrating on keeping the game going that he failed to notice (!) Benzema closing him down on his left. Similarly for the Bale shot he was too busy thinking about what he was going to do after catching the ball that he buggered it up.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lack-of-awareness-not-focus-cost-loris-karius-against-real-madrid-jlh700b76 (paywall)

"Loris Karius was too focused to think clearly"

Loris Karius would doubtless concur with this analysis. The Liverpool goalkeeper made a critical mistake to gift Real Madrid their opening goal in the Champions League final on Saturday. Some commentators said that he was careless, others suggested (predictably) that he lacked focus. The problem, however, is that he may have been too focused. So eager was he to distribute the ball that he did not notice that Karim Benzema was in a perfect position to deflect it into his net.

In an astute analysis for ESPN, Shaka Hislop, the former Newcastle United goalkeeper, made similar claims about Karius. The ’keeper, he said, had been instructed by Jürgen Klopp to sustain pressure on Real by getting the ball upfield quickly. This was sound advice, but the 24-year-old became too preoccupied with this one objective. “Karius gets the ball in his hands, the first thing he is thinking about is get play restarted . . . without making sure Benzema clears out,” Hislop said.

Although the second mistake looked superficially different, Hislop argued that it emerged from the same loss of situational awareness. “And then the Bale goal . . . I am convinced that yet again [Karius] is thinking, ‘Let me make this save and put Real Madrid on the back foot’. When the ball arrives, his feet are in a straddle position as if he is trying to run forward with it, before making the save.”

Blimey, that might be the most cogent and insightful analysis I've ever read from an ex-pro.

Will laugh so much if Poch does go to RM after all. Always thought he’d go when one of the big Spanish clubs came in, contract or no contract. Spurs will be in a right pickle. Might even have to make their own song...

Will laugh so much if Poch does go to RM after all. Always thought he’d go when one of the big Spanish clubs came in, contract or no contract. Spurs will be in a right pickle. Might even have to make their own song...

Perhaps Levy has known about this for a while and agreed with Poch to sign the new 5 yea deal so a hefty compensation will be required...