Paddy Ashdown

saint1977

Sad news. Another politician who was worth a million of today’s rabble across parties and truly cared about the fortunes of the country from lived experiences not led by a single textbook perspective and ideology.

Great tribute from Sir John Major.

Sad that we are losing these vastly experienced figures who operated in a highly competitive but more sensible and less partisan and extremist era. Similar comparison between George Bush Snr and Trump - class v trailer trash. Wasn’t so keen on George W Bush but still like Mary Poppins compared to the current lunatic and Putin’s puppet in the White House.

If any of our current crop,in any party, were half the person Paddy was, we would not be in the mess we are .

Pass the sick bag.

He was just like the rest of them, no different. Sad for his family and friends, but he was a pompous ass like most politicians are. Why does dying elevate people to a status above their achievements. He was an average politician no more no less .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass the sick bag.

He was just like the rest of them, no different. Sad for his family and friends, but he was a pompous ass like most politicians are. Why does dying elevate people to a status above their achievements. He was an average politician no more no less .

Charming. Just like Ray Wilkins eh. Unless perfect in your eyes then don’t say anything nice.

Remember if you ever do a eulogy for a friend to highlight all their faults. People will appreciate you being such an honest guy.

Charming. Just like Ray Wilkins eh. Unless perfect in your eyes then don’t say anything nice.

Remember if you ever do a eulogy for a friend to highlight all their faults. People will appreciate you being such an honest guy.

It wasn't a eulogy for a friend though, was it? It was an opinion on football forum.

When people start posting that he’s twice the guy of modern politicians as if he’s some sort of Saint, surely it’s reasonable to point out that he wasn’t . In fact he was just like any other politician, plus he could bore for England. The way it’s going everyone who dies was a wonderful brilliant writer/musician/politician/entertainer and all round great guy, it’s as if there’s no ordinary people or flawed people that ever die.

I’ve no doubt if JRM or Nigel Farage passed away you’d be responding to posts claiming they were twice the person other politicians were and posts claiming we needed more people like them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When people start posting that he’s twice the guy of modern politicians as if he’s some sort of Saint, surely it’s reasonable to point out that he wasn’t . In fact he was just like any other politician, plus he could bore for England. The way it’s going everyone who dies was a wonderful brilliant writer/musician/politician/entertainer and all round great guy, it’s as if there’s no ordinary people or flawed people that ever die.

I’ve no doubt if JRM or Nigel Farage passed away you’d be responding to posts claiming they were twice the person other politicians were and posts claiming we needed more people like them.

Why was he like any other politician? For starters, he had a pretty distinguished career before going into politics.

In other words, you’re talking pony as usual pal.

You have my word that if Rees Mogg or Garage died tomorrow I will guarantee I will not say they are twice the person other politicians are. They are both utter cu nts.

The current standard of politicians is woeful on all sides and are governed by the dregs and the opposition are the dregs. From Corbyn and May to Abbott and Grayling they are all, to a man absolutely appalling.

Ashdown genuinely looks like a collossus compared to the shower we are stuck with on both sides now.

And, quite frankly it doesn't take much to be twice the man that Farage and Mogg are.

Why was he like any other politician? For starters, he had a pretty distinguished career before going into politics.

In other words, you’re talking pony as usual pal.

He had a pretty distinguished career after going into politics too, with his four years as high representative in Bosnia. His achievements there, in the face of paralytic 'realism' from the international community, were exceptional.

So we can comfortably ignore our two wizened kippers raging against the dying of the light.

Some older politicians who have been around the block and not like the recent shockers who stand for fck all other than what the focus groups tell them will naturally move to elder statesman status.

Hearing people who knew him well speak highly of him. But hey that seems to annoy you.

And JRM might make that status if he kicks around for another 20 years. Farage definitely will not.

Grocer Heath was a distinguished war hero, he was still a useless PM. Serving your country in combat shouldn’t be a free pass when you enter politics. He was an European extremist who was wrong about most things. Like most Lib Dem’s his principles were pretty flexible.

Grocer Heath was a distinguished war hero, he was still a useless PM. Serving your country in combat shouldn’t be a free pass when you enter politics. He was an European extremist who was wrong about most things. Like most Lib Dem’s his principles were pretty flexible.

Unless you are right of Attila The Hun you aren't going to get a good word from Duckhunter. You dont expect any respect from someone who still calls women "chicks" in 2018.

Some older politicians who have been around the block and not like the recent shockers who stand for fck all other than what the focus groups tell them will naturally move to elder statesman status.

Hearing people who knew him well speak highly of him. But hey that seems to annoy you.

And JRM might make that status if he kicks around for another 20 years. Farage definitely will not.

Well said.

JRM has got no chance. A mediocre fund manager who spent his career playing politics and once in politics never held a serious government post. He failed in his bid to chair the Treasury Select Committee and has made blunder after blunder leading the fringe ERG.

There’s probably a cameo role in a as yet unspecified Wes Anderson movie and bumpkins like Les and LD will always swoon over a patrician drawl (however contrived and confected); but frankly I could make a better case for the virtues of root canal without anaesthesia than JRM becoming an elder statesman.

Im didnt like jrm but I saw him on youtube answering some questions from students. He came over quite well and his explanation to them why they should pay back their Student loans was pretty good.

Watched that just now. That was a good explanation tbf

G

Pass the sick bag.

I was ignoring you and your arrogance, however your inability to acknowledge a man who gave great service to his country, as a Royal Marine, MI6 intelligence officer, fearless politician and internationally respected diplomat says so much about your self appointed sense of superiority and does nothing to detract from the life of a good man. How will your obituary compare?

Whether you like it or not, Farage will certainly have his place in history assured for being instrumental in getting us to vote in the referendum to leave the EU. Farage's job should have been finished in mainstream British politics following the vote to leave, but if Brexit is fudged in any way, he still has a role to play. J R-M's political future at the top of Conservative politics is also well under way, as much as Shurlock proves by his subsequent idiotic and usual snide post, that he has really has not the faintest idea of the internal politics of the Conservative Party.

Whether you like it or not, Farage will certainly have his place in history assured for being instrumental in getting us to vote in the referendum to leave the EU. Farage's job should have been finished in mainstream British politics following the vote to leave, but if Brexit is fudged in any way, he still has a role to play. J R-M's political future at the top of Conservative politics is also well under way, as much as Shurlock proves by his subsequent idiotic and usual snide post, that he has really has not the faintest idea of the internal politics of the Conservative Party.

Or to summarise:

JIIIIIHHHHAAAAAAADDDDD!!!!!

J R-M's political future at the top of Conservative politics is also well under way, as much as Shurlock proves by his subsequent idiotic and usual snide post, that he has really has not the faintest idea of the internal politics of the Conservative Party.

Well he is a hypocritical bigot so he's well qualified for high office.

He will certainly go down in history, not for any achievement but for his destructive, regressive version of politics. A sel promotionalist who takes responsibility for nothing and gives nothing.

You have my word that if Rees Mogg or Garage died tomorrow I will guarantee I will not say they are twice the person other politicians are. They are both utter cu nts.

The current standard of politicians is woeful on all sides and are governed by the dregs and the opposition are the dregs. From Corbyn and May to Abbott and Grayling they are all, to a man absolutely appalling.

Ashdown genuinely looks like a collossus compared to the shower we are stuck with on both sides now.

And, quite frankly it doesn't take much to be twice the man that Farage and Mogg are.

Excellent post.

He will certainly go down in history, not for any achievement but for his destructive, regressive version of politics. A sel promotionalist who takes responsibility for nothing and gives nothing.

We'll see. It certainly won't be you writing the history, judging by your assessments of other politicians

Too right CB and agree with Whelk as well. It’s about the respect cross-party Ashdown has, none of the current crop have it. May has been determined but she still bears a huge responsibility for the Windrush debacle and very limited by comparison.

Wes rather misses the point - the inner workings of the Conservative or any party are irrelevant, it should always be about the national interest. Corbyn too - thousand of £3 Trots sing their pathetic White Stripes song but most of the country and parliament think he is a selfish and weak tosser.

We'll see. It certainly won't be you writing the history, judging by your assessments of other politicians

Not sure it's you who gets to decide.

Besides, the degree to which your view of the world is pathologically warped is that you think Farage - a poundshop Oswald Mosley - is worth mentioning in the same breath as Ashdown.

Nor will it be you. Of course the history of recent times will be written a few more years down the line by proper historians who are able to provide the perspective and context of the period of time. You demonstrate a complete lack of historical perspective and objectivity if you believe that there will be more written about Askdown than Farage. Making it a sort of contest between their personalities shows how utterly naive you are. It is about the effect that they have on the country by their actions. Fromthat perspective, Ashdown can be as well respected, decent, moral, whatever adjectives you care to throw at him, but what exactly has he done during his political career, apart from leading a rather poor Lib Dem Party?

The history of this period when it comes to be written will already have much more to say about Farage than it will about Ashdown, whether it be written by some leftie like you painting him as a pound shop Mosley, or by somebody who credits him more accurately with forcing the Conservative Party to hold the referendum which changed the path of our history from 23rd June 2016.

Nor will it be you. Of course the history of recent times will be written a few more years down the line by proper historians who are able to provide the perspective and context of the period of time. You demonstrate a complete lack of historical perspective and objectivity if you believe that there will be more written about Askdown than Farage. Making it a sort of contest between their personalities shows how utterly naive you are. It is about the effect that they have on the country by their actions. Fromthat perspective, Ashdown can be as well respected, decent, moral, whatever adjectives you care to throw at him, but what exactly has he done during his political career, apart from leading a rather poor Lib Dem Party?

The history of this period when it comes to be written will already have much more to say about Farage than it will about Ashdown, whether it be written by some leftie like you painting him as a pound shop Mosley, or by somebody who credits him more accurately with forcing the Conservative Party to hold the referendum which changed the path of our history from 23rd June 2016.

I agree a lot will be written about him, however it will not in the main show him a good light. As you say it will be written by proper historians, experts even.

Nor will it be you.

You sure about that? Damn the Rothschild-funded MSM...

Of course the history of recent times will be written a few more years down the line by proper historians who are able to provide the perspective and context of the period of time. You demonstrate a complete lack of historical perspective and objectivity if you believe that there will be more written about Askdown than Farage. Making it a sort of contest between their personalities shows how utterly naive you are. It is about the effect that they have on the country by their actions. Fromthat perspective, Ashdown can be as well respected, decent, moral, whatever adjectives you care to throw at him, but what exactly has he done during his political career, apart from leading a rather poor Lib Dem Party?

No finished history of Farage can be written until all of the criminal and civil investigations, both here and in the US, are over. It's hard to believe that he will emerge unscathed, and among those with a modicum of honesty who've supported him I expect some mea culpas (don't worry, you're exempted, even though you disingenuously claim to have never voted UKIP).

No one - unless you can persuade David Irving to write his official biography - will write approvingly of Farage, whose poisonous politics have infected those, like you, who have been susceptible to dog-whistle racist messages. I know how much it will have meant to you that Farage proudly unveiled that swamp-of-brown-faces ad on the day that Jo Cox was murdered. I know you'll have some pathetic excuse for why Farage repeatedly failed to win a parliamentary seat. And why his party lurches ever more towards making its vile racism explicit where he had tried to kept it under the carpet.

Ashdown, on the other hand, did some good in the world. His four years in Bosnia alone will stand him in good stead among historians. But as a human being he's likely to be judged a thousand miles ahead of the little scumbag you've hitched your wagon to.

Mazel tov, Al.

You sure about that? Damn the Rothschild-funded MSM...

No finished history of Farage can be written until all of the criminal and civil investigations, both here and in the US, are over. It's hard to believe that he will emerge unscathed, and among those with a modicum of honesty who've supported him I expect some mea culpas (don't worry, you're exempted, even though you disingenuously claim to have never voted UKIP).

No one - unless you can persuade David Irving to write his official biography - will write approvingly of Farage, whose poisonous politics have infected those, like you, who have been susceptible to dog-whistle racist messages. I know how much it will have meant to you that Farage proudly unveiled that swamp-of-brown-faces ad on the day that Jo Cox was murdered. I know you'll have some pathetic excuse for why Farage repeatedly failed to win a parliamentary seat. And why his party lurches ever more towards making its vile racism explicit where he had tried to kept it under the carpet.

Ashdown, on the other hand, did some good in the world. His four years in Bosnia alone will stand him in good stead among historians. But as a human being he's likely to be judged a thousand miles ahead of the little scumbag you've hitched your wagon to.

Mazel tov, Al.

You really are in a tizzy, aren't you? I advise that you calm down before you burst a blood vessel.

And wrong about me too and what I vote for, but you just go along and think what you like, as usual. The main reason I voted to leave wasn't the immigration issue. That was only a part of several reasons. You loser remoaners like to tar everybody with that brush, so carry on deluding yourself. And I did vote UKIP once in the European Parliamentary Elections. So wrong again.

As I've already stated, history will judge him on what becomes of Brexit. If it is a success like declining to join the ERM was, then it will laud him as being instrumental in the part he played in bringing that about. If it is a failure, then he will be blamed.

But it will be a success.

I know how much it will have meant to you that Farage proudly unveiled that swamp-of-brown-faces ad on the day that Jo Cox was murdered.

It was unveiled 2 hours before Cox was murdered. So unless you’re saying Nigel knew what was going to happen, don’t know why you’ve even linked the 2 events. Actually, I do know why you did, you’re trying to make out that the poster was still realised despite her murder.

Ashamed?

It is a Southampton Football Club message board ffs

There is already a thread where character assasinations and political slurs can be flung willy-nilly. Saintsweb seems to be developing it's own version of Godwin's Law, where any thread will end up in a peurile, Brexit related, school playground brawl.

(edit)

FFS !