• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

So now Liam Fox has confirmed that a continuity trade deal with Japan will not be ready for March 29th as promised. ( But he has managed to get one with the Palestinian Authority sorted out ).

The Japanese said he was arrogant and high handed. I can't imagine where they got that idea from. They must have met him.

So now Liam Fox has confirmed that a continuity trade deal with Japan will not be ready for March 29th as promised. ( But he has managed to get one with the Palestinian Authority sorted out ).

Don't forget the Faroe Islands. We will need those big jumpers when it gets cold.

He did say that he would have 40 trade deals in place as soon as we left the EU. Yet another Brexiteer who is finding that unicorns don't exist.

We know that Brexit voters were broadly in the intellectually-challenged category.

Now you can see how you score:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/where-are-you-on-the-brexit-thickness-scale-20190222182770

Thickness level 5 is summed up nicely by Jihadi John's constant prophecies of doom for Europe.

I am slightly surprised. I would have thought that he would have got 6 out of 6 in the thickness levels.

We know that Brexit voters were broadly in the intellectually-challenged category.

Now you can see how you score:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/where-are-you-on-the-brexit-thickness-scale-20190222182770

You’d have to be careful which friends you shared that with on Facebook. Lols. My FB friends are a broad church and I’ve got to thinking how funny it would be to arrange for some of the Brexit voting “characters” to meet in a pub, touting it as a gathering of like minded individuals. A fight would be the absolute minimum outcome, with walking out in disgust as the hot favourite. Not that as individuals, they aren’t mostly very nice people.

"Former World Trade Organisation boss Pascal Lamy slams 'nonsense' plans for no deal trade. He dismissed claims from Brexiteers suggesting the UK would enjoy better trade regulations with international partners without a Brexit divorce deal with the European Union.

The former World Trade Organisation (WTO) chief insisted the British Government should strike an arrangement securing continuity past March 29 because of the deep connection British and European business have built over the past 40 years. Speaking to Euronews, Mr Lamy said: "I know there’s a view on the Brexit side that they become independent, they regain control. "In a world which is globalising, integrating, I think it makes absolutely no sense. "What would be the sense of having a regulation for 60 million people when the world is moving to zones who have regulations for 500 million or 600 million people?"

A no deal scenario in March 2019 would effectively annul all trade deals the UK has benefited from as a member of the EU unless rolled back into British legislation. Britain would then have to revert to WTO rules and apply a set list of tariffs - a tax on imports of goods – and quotas – limits on the number of goods - on other countries seeking to do business with the UK."

Fancy that.

Does anybody - anybody - actually support May and her approach? Does anyone think she is doing a good job? I haven’t met or spoken to anyone, on either side of the debate, who feel anything she is doing is worthy of support.

The only support she appears to have is from the outsider MP’s she has been forced to elevate into cabinet positions. How long can she possibly continue like this?

A second refurendum has been the obvious way forward ever since May first tried to get her deal through Parliament in December. All the ****ing about since has just been embarrassing.

I can see it happening now. The Labour backbench amendment to get May' s deal passed through Parliament on condition that the deal is then put to a People's Vote is the way out of this mess.

I can see it happening now. The Labour backbench amendment to get May' s deal passed through Parliament on condition that the deal is then put to a People's Vote is the way out of this mess.
I still stick to my prediction from a few weeks back. The ERG/swivels will vote through a Brexit deal - any Brexit deal - rather than risk anything that stops coming out on March 29th. Enough of Parliament will also back it (respecting democracy etc etc) and that will be that. May knows this and in that regard her current strategy is fair enough.

On the morning of March 30th the ERG will then disown said deal, say it wouldn't be how they'd have done it and proceed to blame the EU for every bad thing that ever happens to our country for the next decade, just like Brexit never happened. Everyone a winner.

Edited by CB Fry

I still stick to my prediction from a few weeks back. The ERG/swivels will vote through a Brexit deal - any Brexit deal - rather than risk anything that stops coming out on March 29th. Enough of Parliament will also back it (respecting democracy etc etc) and that will be that. May knows this and in that regard her current strategy is fair enough.

On the morning of March 30th the ERG will then disown said deal, say it wouldn't be how they'd have done it and proceed to blame the EU for every bad thing that ever happens to our country for the next decade, just like Brexit never happened. Everyone a winner.

Everyone's a winner, but in fact we're all just losers.

I think the ERG's heartfelt desire for a Jihadist outcome means they won't support May's deal. They still believe their own lies that GATT Article 24 will save the British economy from their own cultism (sorry for the misspelling).

It's also clear that the EU is not going to budge on the backstop language in the withdrawal agreement. May and her allies know this, which is why they haven't even tried to negotiate it in the last few days. (Much to the bewilderment of the EU, Geoffrey Cox came to Brussels last week with no new proposals at all on the 'alternative arrangements'. It's all a pantomime to run down the clock.)

If May's deal is voted down, an awful lot will turn on the Letwin-Cooper amendment. If that also fails, you're likely to see a severe market reaction - which may do for delaying Brexit what the amendment will have failed to do.

Much to the bewilderment of the EU, Geoffrey Cox came to Brussels last week with no new proposals at all on the 'alternative arrangements'.

That’s because Cox isn’t there to present proposals on alternative arrangements. He’s presenting legal text that if accepted will enable him to adjust his legal advise over the chances of remaining in the back stop permanently. James Forsyth said so on yesterday’s Spectator podcast. Still, what does he know. He’s just the bloke Theresa May said is the most informed journalist on cabinet leaks, rather than a bloke who posts on a football forum.

And this is what the Labour party wants so they can then blame everything on the disastrous Tory Brexit (a saying they are starting to roll out now). It's all ideologues clashing trying to get maximum payback for themselves, none of this is about what is good for the country.

That’s because Cox isn’t there to present proposals on alternative arrangements. He’s presenting legal text that if accepted will enable him to adjust his legal advise over the chances of remaining in the back stop permanently. James Forsyth said so on yesterday’s Spectator podcast. Still, what does he know. He’s just the bloke Theresa May said is the most informed journalist on cabinet leaks, rather than a bloke who posts on a football forum.

The alternative arrangements have to be written into a 'codicil', which is a legal document. That's why the EU were expecting the pompous ass to turn up with a formula for doing it. Instead he just turned up and stared moodily at the ceiling.

James Forsyth is by some distance NOT the most informed inside-track journalist on Cabinet deliberations. He's not even a proper reporting journalist, but part of the commentariat. The most informed journalist, by a country mile, is Tim Shipman. His contacts inside the Cabinet have leaked vast quantities of stuff exclusively to him, enough to fill dozens of exclusives for the Sunday Times and two very large books.

So my advice, Lord Crap: don't take the word of a prime minister on who her idea of 'best' is in journalism. Apart from anything else, it's a spectacularly Uriah Heap, ever-so-'umble, way of thinking.

The alternative arrangements have to be written into a 'codicil', which is a legal document. That's why the EU were expecting the pompous ass to turn up with a formula for doing it. Instead he just turned up and stared moodily at the ceiling.

What a load of pony. “ Stared moodily at the ceiling”. Lol you got that from Shipmans twitter feed in Dec.

He’s not over there to seek or propose alternative arrangements to replace the backstop. He’s over there to try and get something on the permanence of it. Forsyth, who despite what you say, has got the inside track, claimed that he arrived with legal texts of various options (sunset clause etc) and that this was the first time in the whole process that the UK were proposing, rather than reacting to legal text. Do you really believe an eminent lawyer and legal mind like Cox’s just sat there staring at the ceiling. Brexit has puddled your brain man.

Forsyth is all over the cabinet meeting again today already,no wonder May states they don’t use What’s App but Forsyth App.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The betrayal is complete:

And ultimately it will be the judgement of the British people in the referendum that I promised and that I will deliver. You will have to judge what is best for you and your family, for your children and grandchildren, for our country, for our future. It will be your decision whether to remain in the EU on the basis of the reforms we secure, or whether we leave. Your decision. Nobody else’s. Not politicians’. Not Parliament’s. Not lobby groups’. Not mine. Just you. You, the British people, will decide. At that moment, you will hold this country’s destiny in your hands. This is a huge decision for our country, perhaps the biggest we will make in our lifetimes. And it will be the final decision. So to those who suggest that a decision in the referendum to leave… …would merely produce another stronger renegotiation and then a second referendum in which Britain would stay… …I say think again. The renegotiation is happening right now. And the referendum that follows will be a once in a generation choice. An in or out referendum. When the British people speak, their voice will be respected – not ignored. If we vote to leave, then we will leave.

There will not be another renegotiation and another referendum.

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it:

The world’s largest sovereign wealth fund has said it will expand its investment in Britain as it claimed confidence in the country remains undiminished by Brexit. In a move cheered by Brexiteers, Norway’s £740bn wealth fund has confirmed that it will plough billions of pounds of additional investment in the UK over the next three decades. The Norwegian fund, which is one of the country’s biggest foreign investors, said that the current uncertainty over Brexit had not altered its view of the UK. In a statement, its chief executive, Yngve Slyngstad, said the fund would “continue to be significant investors in Britain” and “ we foresee that over time our investments in the UK will increase.”

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it:

Morning John.

Changing tack after your latest flop on here - remember you had a meltdown because I claimed that the Parliament would block or force May to take no deal off the table. You know when you've been tangoed pal :lol:

So, billions of pounds, so shall we assume £10b? Otherwise they'd have said 10's of billions. So, £10b over 30 years, approx £300m per year.

That will cover 2/3rds of the cost of sorting our potholes every year then - SCORE!

They largely invest in large cap equities and bonds with only a bit in property and infrastructure. Of course, most of the UK's largest listed companies e.g. HSBC and BP are basically global entitites with pretty limited exposure to the UK economy.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's the government study published about the implications of a no deal

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._Trade_of_a_No_Deal_Exit_on_29_March_2019.pdf

Some takeaways for those who can't be arsed to go through it all (haven't added any opinion just summarised).

1. Paragraph one, according to this document no deal doesn't have any mandate as a result of the referendum.

2. Paragraph three outlines a siginificant (sic) impact on business, trade and the economy.

3. Paragraph six outlines that the government is preparing for as much "continuity" as possible in a no deal scenario including unilateral action, whether reciprocated or not by the EU.

4. Paragraph six also outlines how EU hauliers with be favoured (in the immediate aftermath) over UK hauliers.

5. Paragraph eight highlights that almost a third of the most critical projects (to accommodate a no deal) are behind schedule.

6. Paragraph nine shows that to date (of publish of the document) the government has spent £4bn of the public purse on Brexit planning.

7. Paragraph fourteen outlines that any continuity of business is at the mercy of the EU, and that it's unlikely that the EU27 will support such a thing (even if we are within the confines of WTO law).

8. Paragraph 12 outlines that agreements will "clearly not be in place" with a number of countries that amount to 11% of our current trade.

9. Paragraph 19 alludes to potential loss of citizen's rights, at least in the short term.

10. Paragraph 17 talks about the fact that UK are not prepared for the outcomes of a no deal scenario, including passport renewals, driving licences renewals, car insurance in relation to travel within Europe.

11. Paragraph 21 outlines that the UK economy will be 6-9% smaller in the event of a no deal brexit, with a "significant difference between regions" (Wales -8.1%, Scotland -8.0%, Northern Ireland -9.1% and the North East of England -10.5%)

11. Paragraph 25 outlines the cross border impact on goods, including taxation and slow down in crossing goods over the borders.

12. Paragraph 26 explicitly states that businesses with supply chains will have additional costs and burdens (sic).

13. Paragraph 29 outlines our reliance on the EU for food (30% of our food comes from there)

14. Paragraph 32 outlines what potential tariffs on goods could look like "EU would introduce tariffs of around 70% on beef and 45% on lamb exports, and 10% on finished automotive vehicles" and how it's impossible to predict how businesses would cope with this.

15. Paragraph 35 says that no deal would have severe impact on NI and last longer than the UK

16. Paragraph 39 outlines the impact on the service industry (80% of our economy) and highlights the difficulty we'll have in employing trained staff from the EU.

17. Paragraph 51 basically says that the government are not prepared for a no deal scenario and cannot mitigate the damage that it'll do to the UK.

All in all it makes pretty grim reading, and i'm sure there's things in there that'll speak more directly to areas other people here are interested in.

They largely invest in large cap equities and bonds with only a bit in property and infrastructure. Of course, most of the UK's largest listed companies e.g. HSBC and BP are basically global entitites with pretty limited exposure to the UK economy.

Their investments will be purchasing undervalued UK companies due to our weak exchange rate.

Vultures picking at the carcass.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's the government study published about the implications of a no deal

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._Trade_of_a_No_Deal_Exit_on_29_March_2019.pdf

Some takeaways for those who can't be arsed to go through it all (haven't added any opinion just summarised).

1. Paragraph one, according to this document no deal doesn't have any mandate as a result of the referendum.

2. Paragraph three outlines a siginificant (sic) impact on business, trade and the economy.

3. Paragraph six outlines that the government is preparing for as much "continuity" as possible in a no deal scenario including unilateral action, whether reciprocated or not by the EU.

4. Paragraph six also outlines how EU hauliers with be favoured (in the immediate aftermath) over UK hauliers.

5. Paragraph eight highlights that almost a third of the most critical projects (to accommodate a no deal) are behind schedule.

6. Paragraph nine shows that to date (of publish of the document) the government has spent £4bn of the public purse on Brexit planning.

7. Paragraph fourteen outlines that any continuity of business is at the mercy of the EU, and that it's unlikely that the EU27 will support such a thing (even if we are within the confines of WTO law).

8. Paragraph 12 outlines that agreements will "clearly not be in place" with a number of countries that amount to 11% of our current trade.

9. Paragraph 19 alludes to potential loss of citizen's rights, at least in the short term.

10. Paragraph 17 talks about the fact that UK are not prepared for the outcomes of a no deal scenario, including passport renewals, driving licences renewals, car insurance in relation to travel within Europe.

11. Paragraph 21 outlines that the UK economy will be 6-9% smaller in the event of a no deal brexit, with a "significant difference between regions" (Wales -8.1%, Scotland -8.0%, Northern Ireland -9.1% and the North East of England -10.5%)

11. Paragraph 25 outlines the cross border impact on goods, including taxation and slow down in crossing goods over the borders.

12. Paragraph 26 explicitly states that businesses with supply chains will have additional costs and burdens (sic).

13. Paragraph 29 outlines our reliance on the EU for food (30% of our food comes from there)

14. Paragraph 32 outlines what potential tariffs on goods could look like "EU would introduce tariffs of around 70% on beef and 45% on lamb exports, and 10% on finished automotive vehicles" and how it's impossible to predict how businesses would cope with this.

15. Paragraph 35 says that no deal would have severe impact on NI and last longer than the UK

16. Paragraph 39 outlines the impact on the service industry (80% of our economy) and highlights the difficulty we'll have in employing trained staff from the EU.

17. Paragraph 51 basically says that the government are not prepared for a no deal scenario and cannot mitigate the damage that it'll do to the UK.

All in all it makes pretty grim reading, and i'm sure there's things in there that'll speak more directly to areas other people here are interested in.

... but ...but.... " we got our country back" by voting to leave.

The fact that the country is horribly damaged by the vote doesn't seem to matter.

The document is also absolutely scathing of the snake oil salesmen and halfwits (hello John) who've been peddling the idea that GATT Article XXIV is some kind of secret weapon.

I love the Beeb, reporting on the Norway investment:

Norway's giant state investment fund has said it will increase its investment in the UK. The sovereign wealth fund, which has $1tn (£750bn) to invest from Norway's oil and gas income, is already one of the biggest investors in UK assets. Its chief executive has said that it will continue to be a "significant" investor in the UK, despite Brexit.

Pony.

Most Brexiters just want brown people treated the same as Europeans.

Of course they do pal and Jack Stephens is better than Harry Maguire :lol:

Here in the real world...

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/non-eu-migration-is-what-uk-voters-care-most-about/

#brownpeople

Edited by shurlock

Of course they do pal and Jack Stephens is better than Harry Maguire :lol:

Here in the real world...

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/non-eu-migration-is-what-uk-voters-care-most-about/

#brownpeople

How ironic for those who voted out to reduce immigration that net non EU migration to Sept 2018 has increased to >250,000

#becarefulwhatyouwishfor

I love the Beeb, reporting on the Norway investment:

Yes I mean how dare the BBC actually report the words that the chief executive of Norges Investment Bank actually used. How dare the Norwegians not believe in the Brexit unicorns.

You really are a prize chump …. and apparently you cannot retaliate to what I write as you have me on ignore . You are like the nutter sticking his fingers in his ears,shouting "la la la" at the top of his voice to ignore reality..

How ironic for those who voted out to reduce immigration that net non EU migration to Sept 2018 has increased to >250,000

#becarefulwhatyouwishfor

If the people are unhappy with the number of Non EU migrants arriving, they can kick the Government out.

What redress have they if they’re unhappy with the numbers arriving from the EU?

#becarefulwhatyouwishfor

Even more ironic in that Theresa May was charge of immigration in her years as Home Secretary and this was where she had the power to bring the numbers down, but she did absolutely nothing.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction