Saints vs Man Utd - Build Up

Lighthouse

343 for me

Gunn

Valery Yoshida Bednarek Danso Bertrand

PEH Romeu

Djenepo Adams Redmond

Boufal/Ings/Armstrong can be the attacking subs. I see little need for Vestegaard as there are no target men and Utd attack are fairly fast, as were Pool’s last week so let’s have our slightly faster CB’s on.

Usually, well 15 or more years ago we’d have said these are a Utd banker, but think we are more than in it should things go our way just like it did today.

I'd take a point but this one is winnable and we haven't done them at St Mary's since Beattie scored the winner in 2003.

Not sure about 4-2-2-2, I think we'll get overrun. I'd bring in Bertrand and Armstrong for Adams and Vest and try a 4-2-3-1.

And that was the last day of August too!

We need a striker, but Djenepo has looked insane in that left wing back position in the two times he's played it. I think the best lineup is:

Gunn

Vestergaard Danso Bednarek

Valery JWP Hoj Djenepo

Boufal Adams Redmond

I think JWP over Romeu for now as 3atb is already very defensive and having Romeu in the middle is hamstringing our offensive capabilities with his poor negative passing. If we get a goal then we swap JWP to Rom, and Djenepo to Bertrand and defend our lead and hit them on the break.

We need a striker, but Djenepo has looked insane in that left wing back position in the two times he's played it

We had a spell of playing Bertrand left side of a 3 with Targett in front of him that worked well under Koeman, interesting to see how it would work with Bertrand/Djenepo.

As good as Djenepo has looked' date=' he’s also picked up a yellow card within 10 minutes of coming on in both of his appearances. Think it’d be a big risk playing him at LWB from the start.[/quote']But he reminds me so much of Mane....I am willing to forgive...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

As good as Djenepo has looked' date=' he’s also picked up a yellow card within 10 minutes of coming on in both of his appearances. Think it’d be a big risk playing him at LWB from the start.[/quote']

This is a good point. He's not a starting wing back. If he's going to start he needs to be further forward.

Hopefully Bertrand is available.

Play fairly well, deserve something but ultimately lose 3-2 seems to be a recurring theme against this lot. I miss the days of really fancying us against the better teams but that optimism was always built on a decent defence which we no longer have

If we win, we'll go 4th, win 2-0 we'll go 3rd .....

Admittedly, it would only be for a few hours before the other games complete and we'd still have to win, but it would be nice to see our name next to Liverpool and Man City just for a temporary period.

I just can't quite work out where Man U are as a team. They lost a bit of the early Solskjaer swagger late last season, and it's too early to know this season whether it is back or not. I guess a point would be a good result...

It's not back, they look very ordinary, very poor at the back, hit and miss up front. The team is made up of very average (for Man U) players with a small sprinkling of stars, Pogba is blowing hot and cold. Defence slow and leaky. Outside of Liverpool and Citeh, all the others are there for the taking at the moment.

It's not back, they look very ordinary, very poor at the back, hit and miss up front. The team is made up of very average (for Man U) players with a small sprinkling of stars, Pogba is blowing hot and cold. Defence slow and leaky. Outside of Liverpool and Citeh, all the others are there for the taking at the moment.

Agree. If Martial is out, that is a benefit as he’s one that has performed well. They are not the force they once were and our guys should want the chance to beat United.

Utd are certainly beatable; they have a very ropey defence, but a very pacey attack. Any decent winger has a chance of making Ashley Young look silly, which we certainly have options with. Could be a very entertaining game.

Gunn

Bednarak, Danso, Vestergaard

Valery, JWP, Hoj, Bertrand

Redmond, Ings, Djenepo

I'd go with this, getting Romeu and Hojbjerg to sit and protect our back four!

Leaving our front 4 to interchange and cause havoc for Uniteds defence. I think getting at Shaw is our best bet1fa396a0ca3803fae6dc2395a0dcd04b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That works very well for me but it won't be how Ralph sees it sadly. He daren't leave out our local poster boy and of course he brought in Adams to the club. Boufal won't get a start under Hasenhütl.

Any chances we have will need to be put away against this lot. Can't afford to squander too many chances.

Utd are there for the taking and Palace showed how to play against them which suits us, sit back and hit on the break with pace. I would have the front four as above.

Any chances we have will need to be put away against this lot. Can't afford to squander too many chances.

Utd are there for the taking and Palace showed how to play against them which suits us, sit back and hit on the break with pace. I would have the front four as above.

Doubt we will see Redmond after he limped off last night.

This is a good point. He's not a starting wing back. If he's going to start he needs to be further forward.

Hopefully Bertrand is available.

Is he not a CB? Not sure why he’s played out of position so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we played 4-2-2-2 for the last 2 games and kept a clean sheets and won why would Ralph switch back to a 5 ?

The LB is obviously the big unknown so would go for something like:

Gunn

Valery Bendarek Danso Bertrand

Hoj Romeu

Boufal Redmond (or JWP if injured) Djnepo

Adams

Ralph said he’s not sure yet of how he wants to play against Man U. Formation etc. It’s Weds.
Could be due to unknown injuries, probably if bertrand is fit use a 4222 and if he isnt go 3421 with Djenepo at wing back.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Ralph said he’s not sure yet of how he wants to play against Man U. Formation etc. It’s Weds.

Well he sure ain't going to tell a hack asking him the question what his strategy is for playing Man United, got to keep some secrets in these cameras/devices up every orifice world we live in. "Well I plan to play 4-5-1 with Yoshida protecting the back line, and I will be asking the groundsman to not make his planned last cut of the grass and definitely not to water it". Be like Christmas - "you see that present under the tree in the Holly paper - that's from me to you - its a Jagsaw puzzle".

Or June 1944 "Field Marshall?! - Robert Smithers Daily Mail sir" "word is that you will be invading Europe on Monday from somewhere along the East coast landing in Calais Dunkirk and into Belgium is that correct?". "No Smithers - we shall be landing on the beaches of Normandy early Monday morning - weather permitting along a 50 mile front".

If we played 4-2-2-2 for the last 2 games and kept a clean sheets and won why would Ralph switch back to a 5 ?

The LB is obviously the big unknown so would go for something like:

Gunn

Valery Bendarek Danso Bertrand

Hoj Romeu

Boufal Redmond (or JWP if injured) Djnepo

Adams

Because those two matches were against:

- one of the worst teams in the PL, that average about half a goal per home game

and

- a rotated second division team.

Man U are a different proposition and have players like Martial and Rashford. Plus, it seems we don’t currently have a proper left back.

However, the reality is that whatever system we play, the biggest factor will be individual performance levels and composure.

On the assumption that Redmond is out for the foreseeable future and Bertrand is still on the naughty step....

---------------------------------- Gunn -------------------------------------

----------- Bednarek ----------- Danso -------------- Yoshida ------------

Valery ------------------------------------------------------------ Hojbjerg

----------------- Ward-Prowse --------------- Romeu ---------------------

---- Djnepo --------------------- Adams ---------------------- Boufal ----

Subs: McCarthy, Cedric, Vestergard, Armstrong, Long, Ings, Obefemi

On the assumption that Redmond is out for the foreseeable future and Bertrand is still on the naughty step....

---------------------------------- Gunn -------------------------------------

----------- Bednarek ----------- Danso -------------- Yoshida ------------

Valery ------------------------------------------------------------ Hojbjerg

----------------- Ward-Prowse --------------- Romeu ---------------------

---- Djnepo --------------------- Adams ---------------------- Boufal ----

Subs: McCarthy, Cedric, Vestergard, Armstrong, Long, Ings, Obefemi

Playing catch up here - Bertrand on the naughty step??