Saints fan banned

doddisalegend

Because big brother, the thought police, and the snowflake melting world of twitter have taken over the asylum.

Liberal of the old 'snowflake' term there! Know what it means? Use it much more and you'll be up there with the Duckhunter in its use. At least he talks sense about football.

No chance with the current make up of "hate crime" drive from the authorities. No chance whatsoever of someone like him getting a not guilty, its an easy win for them.

Quite right. What is the world coming to when you can’t ridicule the likes of gays and Muslims? All will be well when Tommy becomes PM.

Even if it wasn't against the law, Why would you even want to sing these songs about stereotypes?

For example the feed the scousers song against Everton was just embarrassing...do people really think it winds up the opposition fans?

If we were arguing about witty songs which pushed the boundaries a bit fair enough (maybe the park song United sang is an example) but the Brighton song has no wit, it's generic, been heard a million times before and is frankly just cringeworthy. I am all for banning those singing them whether it's against the law or not.

Even if it wasn't against the law, Why would you even want to sing these songs about stereotypes?

For example the feed the scousers song against Everton was just embarrassing...do people really think it winds up the opposition fans?

If we were arguing about witty songs which pushed the boundaries a bit fair enough (maybe the park song United sang is an example) but the Brighton song has no wit, it's generic, been heard a million times before and is frankly just cringeworthy. I am all for banning those singing them whether it's against the law or not.

So now we are going to ban people because fans think their songs are unoriginal and cringeworthy?!?! Seriously what is wrong with the current social climate. Genuinely fear for the fabled british "sense of humour" if causing even mild offense = censorship.

To be clear, we can sing about shooting pompey scum? but we can't mentioned the word boyfriend in a chant?

Edited by Saint86

So now we are going to ban people because fans think their songs are unoriginal and cringeworthy?!?! Seriously what is wrong with the current social climate. Genuinely fear for the fabled british "sense of humour" if causing even mild offense = censorship.

To be clear, we can sing about shooting pompey scum? but we can't mentioned the word boyfriend in a chant?

Lol if you think these songs are humourous then you are easily made to laugh!

If they were humourous and original then I might even have a chuckle.. But this isn't even funny on any level irrelevant of the meaning or content...

Do you really find it funny? If that's British humour then it's fallen a long way IMO..

Nowt wrong with the Pompey scum song..it's not meant to be funny!

PS I am not really advocating banning people for unoriginal songs..that was tongue in cheek!

Edited by Saint-Fred

Seriously, does this chant ("does your boyfriend know you're here") actually offend anyone!? Does that mean "we can see you holding hands" is up there as an arrestable offence? I find it hard to believe that these chants are likely to upset anyone, apart from the super-sensitive.

I am good friends with quite a few "gay" people and they wouldn't give two hoots about this, it really wouldn't even cross their minds to get upset by it.

There are far worse chants out there than those, and they aren't even being derogatory about "gay" people. If the songs were along the lines of "you're gay and we f***ing hate you" then that's different.....isn't it?!

Seriously, does this chant ("does your boyfriend know you're here") actually offend anyone!? Does that mean "we can see you holding hands" is up there as an arrestable offence? I find it hard to believe that these chants are likely to upset anyone, apart from the super-sensitive.

I am good friends with quite a few "gay" people and they wouldn't give two hoots about this, it really wouldn't even cross their minds to get upset by it.

There are far worse chants out there than those, and they aren't even being derogatory about "gay" people. If the songs were along the lines of "you're gay and we f***ing hate you" then that's different.....isn't it?!

Left wing, being offended for others clap trap

Very much this.

"Does your boyfriend know you're here" is extremely different to "**** off you bunch of gay *****s" or words to that effect. The first is an awful, unoriginal song, the second is disgusting. Unfortunately, it appears you'd get the same outcome from singing either of them, which actually undermines real instances of 'hate crime'.

Nobody is actually offended by the song, not even gay people themselves. It's just people getting offended on other peoples behalf again.

Very much this.

"Does your boyfriend know you're here" is extremely different to "**** off you bunch of gay *****s" or words to that effect. The first is an awful, unoriginal song, the second is disgusting. Unfortunately, it appears you'd get the same outcome from singing either of them, which actually undermines real instances of 'hate crime'.

Nobody is actually offended by the song, not even gay people themselves. It's just people getting offended on other peoples behalf again.

just the tip of the iceberg. We are now in an age where people must actively demonstrate how offended they are over the slightest indiscretion

i mean, how far away are we from the word 'gay' being offensive to the millennials?

Edited by Batman

Very much this.

There is a difference which is presumably why this one individual was picked out rather than about 1,000 other Saints fans.

Lots of people seem to think he was banned for singing "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" which isn't really what the Echo and Argus articles suggest.

There is a difference which is presumably why this one individual was picked out rather than about 1,000 other Saints fans.

Lots of people seem to think he was banned for singing "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" which isn't really what the Echo and Argus articles suggest.

Where is the evidence that what he sang was more offensive than that? I can't see any. Again, if the echo knew what was chanted then they would have said so or at least written an approximation of it.

Why are you putting the word "Gay" in quotes?

Where is the evidence that what he sang was more offensive than that? I can't see any. Again, if the echo knew what was chanted then they would have said so or at least written an approximation of it.
The main articles worded it like this:

Former*Southampton*FC retail worker Jonathan Coombs, 28, shouted "does your boyfriend know you’re here" and other foul-mouthed abuse at Brighton and Hove Albion fans, as he watched his team play away at at the American Express Community Stadium.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/district/southampton/15695114.Saints_club_shop_worker_banned_from_football_matches/

Former Southampton FC club shop worker Jonathan Coombs, 28, shouted “does your boyfriend know you’re here” and “f*** off you c***s” at Brighton and Hove Albion fans, as he watched his team play away at at the American Express Community Stadium.*

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15694659.Southampton_FC_fan_given_football_banning_order_after_shouting_homophobic_abuse_at_Albion_fans/

They aren't going to print every chant but it appears there is more than just that one, which lots more fans were joining in with so why was this one person singled out?

Similarly read this about the Leicester fans - again seemed to go beyond the generic chants hence the action taken on a couple of individuals:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/leicester-city-brighton-homophobia-abuse-arrests-home-fans-match-football-police-lgbt-anti-gay-a7904236.html

If chants are homophobic and aggressive in nature then thats not fair game whatsoever.

Very much this.

What tune is "**** off you bunch of gay ****s" to? Don't think I've heard that one.

Edited by benjii

“f*** off you c***s” at Brighton and Hove Albion fans

****ing hell, that changes everything. Lock him up and throw away the key, there is no place in society for animals like this and certainly not at football.

I hope the throw the book at him and set an example to other fans who may consider displaying such disgusting behiaviour.

Hopefully next they go for those who persistently stand (even though it says on the ticket and they’ve been asked to sit down a number of times). What a world we live in, animals.

Thank you Lebizzier, this is what I have been trying to say. A bit of common sense is needed. Not a case of people being offended for other people, and then exercising that "offence" to dish out punishments and shame people. I'm not even talking specifically about football tbh, this mindset is starting to infect every walk of life.

What tune is "**** off you bunch of gay ****s" too? Don't think I've heard that one.

Have you not? It’s a good one. I think he’s got the words slightly wrong though.

It’s same tune as the Gaston Ramirez one and it goes “ooohhhh f**k off you gay c***s”

You should start it the next time we play them, I’m sure the Northam will shortly join you.

(Disclaimer For those snowflakes here that are easily offended this is clearly a joke and I do not condone homopbic chants in any way shape or form)

Edited by SKD

The main articles worded it like this:

Former*Southampton*FC retail worker Jonathan Coombs, 28, shouted "does your boyfriend know you’re here" and other foul-mouthed abuse at Brighton and Hove Albion fans, as he watched his team play away at at the American Express Community Stadium.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/district/southampton/15695114.Saints_club_shop_worker_banned_from_football_matches/

Former Southampton FC club shop worker Jonathan Coombs, 28, shouted “does your boyfriend know you’re here” and “f*** off you c***s” at Brighton and Hove Albion fans, as he watched his team play away at at the American Express Community Stadium.*

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15694659.Southampton_FC_fan_given_football_banning_order_after_shouting_homophobic_abuse_at_Albion_fans/

They aren't going to print every chant but it appears there is more than just that one, which lots more fans were joining in with so why was this one person singled out?

Similarly read this about the Leicester fans - again seemed to go beyond the generic chants hence the action taken on a couple of individuals:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/leicester-city-brighton-homophobia-abuse-arrests-home-fans-match-football-police-lgbt-anti-gay-a7904236.html

If chants are homophobic and aggressive in nature then thats not fair game whatsoever.

So from those articles we know that he reportedly chanted f*ck off you c*nts- aggressive certainly and maybe not advisable in the current climate but not homophobic. We then have the Echo who says that they consider "does your boyfriend know you're here" to be tantamount to foul mouthed abuse. I'd love to see what the other example is in to form a proper judgement, but given that this is the level that the Echo considers to be "foul mouthed abuse" then the suspicion is that it is extremely mild and not homophobic at all. Happy to be proven wrong should more facts come to light but as the Echo either didn't bother to print what else he said or- most likely- didn't know what else he had chanted it seems unlikely that we will find out.

Edited by hypochondriac

Very much this.

I think a number of Brighton fans are offended but I suspect they are all heterosexual male Brighton fans offended because the song implies they might be gay and they think there is something wrong with that... so ironically Brighton fans offense at this song could be just highlighting their own homophobia.

I think we can all agree this what homophobic hate crime looks like, and no one will defend this sort of behaviour, it will be interesting to see what punishment the attackers get if they are caught.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/teenager-strangled-and-forced-to-apologise-for-being-gay-in-sick-homophobic-attack-on-tube/ar-BBGbqUd?li=AA59G2&ocid=spartandhp

I think we can all agree this what homophobic hate crime looks like, and no one will defend this sort of behaviour, it will be interesting to see what punishment the attackers get if they are caught.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/teenager-strangled-and-forced-to-apologise-for-being-gay-in-sick-homophobic-attack-on-tube/ar-BBGbqUd?li=AA59G2&ocid=spartandhp

Yes, that is appalling. But is the victim even gay? Obviously it's a hate crime whether he is or not, but the first reports i said it looked like some thugs randomly starting on someone and using "Gay" as a an excuse.

Yes, that is appalling. But is the victim even gay? Obviously it's a hate crime whether he is or not, but the first reports i said it looked like some thugs randomly starting on someone and using "Gay" as a an excuse.

Puts it in perspective though. Boyfriend chant, or physical assault and being strangled / threatened with a knife.

It seems that the consensus here is that there is a sliding scale of offensiveness of Homophobic Chants 'i.e. 'Boyfriend' not seen as too bad, while chanting 'F*ck Off you gay C*****s' it appears to deemed too much. Is there a similar sliding scale for racism? If England pay an African team are there mild 'Racist' chants that people feel were not to offensive compared to say monkey chants or flinging banana skins which I think we all agree would rightly be deemed offensive?

It seems that the consensus here is that there is a sliding scale of offensiveness of Homophobic Chants 'i.e. 'Boyfriend' not seen as too bad, while chanting 'F*ck Off you gay C*****s' it appears to deemed too much. Is there a similar sliding scale for racism? If England pay an African team are there mild 'Racist' chants that people feel were not to offensive compared to say monkey chants or flinging banana skins which I think we all agree would rightly be deemed offensive?

is 'you're a fat spanish vvanker' ok to sing to Rafa?

For reference, the halfwits have deemed money and foreskin jokes to be inoffensive when playing Spurs.

what's the mildly racist version of "Does your boyfriend" for an African nation sound like? "Does your Dictator know your here?"

what's the mildly racist version of "Does your boyfriend" for an African nation sound like? "Does your Dictator know your here?"

good point. I'd imagine the song would be,

"Does your master know your here?"

Interestingly and often forgotten is that this "racist" song could also apply to any player who was born In what was once the Roman empire as slavery there lasted for over 1,000 years with an estimate of 10m slaves, many of us direct descendants of it.. The song "does your master know you're here?" Could in fact be sung to any European or North African such was the scale of the Roman Empire. It'd be interesting to see an entire stand chanting "Does your master know you're here?" To Cese Febregas perhaps, a Spaniard, when an entire Hollywood film was based on a white, Spanish slave. Would this make the chant racist as its against a white person rather than black? Surely if anything this is more racist than to a black person as Roman slavery was far more widespread and lasted far longer than the black slave trade.

If we were to sing "does your master know your here?"

Have you not? It’s a good one. I think he’s got the words slightly wrong though.

It’s same tune as the Gaston Ramirez one and it goes “ooohhhh f**k off you gay c***s”

You should start it the next time we play them, I’m sure the Northam will shortly join you.

(Disclaimer For those snowflakes here that are easily offended this is clearly a joke and I do not condone homopbic chants in any way shape or form)

The Northam will hate it as it doesn't involve clapping at 200mph.