Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

Nope... We thought we had a watertight deal to take Alderweireld, but the paperwork wasn't done properly, hence the threat of legal Action against athletics then no subsequent legal action.

The bloke who sorted out the paper work left Saints within two months of that farce.

Hence 'shenanigans'.

Nah. You can't contract your way into forcing a player to sign for you when he doesn't want to.

He was never our player and he was well within his rights to see what his options were at the end of the season.

Nah. You can't contract your way into forcing a player to sign for you when he doesn't want to.

He was never our player and he was well within his rights to see what his options were at the end of the season.

Agreed.However,he did initially want to stay with us until Levi flew over to see his Dad and the rest is history.

From Uruguayan journalist Martin Charquero on Twitter:

"ATTENTION. Martin Caceres is in Paris processing his work visa. Tomorrow will be officially presented by Southampton."

Havn't we got apply for his work permit ? That's how it works according to this

https://www.eurojobs.com/blog/2012/02/14/how-to-get-a-eu-work-permit/

"the company will then have to apply for a work permit through their local government department, which is a long winded procedure and can take months. Most companies won’t want to waste time doing this, so they settle for someone else who could potentially do the job."

perhaps I MISUNDERSTOOD IT !

Havn't we got apply for his work permit ? That's how it works according to this

https://www.eurojobs.com/blog/2012/02/14/how-to-get-a-eu-work-permit/

"the company will then have to apply for a work permit through their local government department, which is a long winded procedure and can take months. Most companies won’t want to waste time doing this, so they settle for someone else who could potentially do the job."

perhaps I MISUNDERSTOOD IT !

I believe it's a different process for sports people.

From Uruguayan journalist Martin Charquero on Twitter:

"ATTENTION. Martin Caceres is in Paris processing his work visa. Tomorrow will be officially presented by Southampton."

I could be missing something blindingly obvious here, but why would a Uruguayan citizen wishing to work in the United Kingdom be sorting out a work visa in France?

Unless it's quicker/easier to do it in France and he then gets into the UK because of our (current) relationship with the EU?

I could be missing something blindingly obvious here, but why would a Uruguayan citizen wishing to work in the United Kingdom be sorting out a work visa in France?

Unless it's quicker/easier to do it in France and he then gets into the UK because of our (current) relationship with the EU?

I think you have to be outside of the UK to apply. Not sure why Paris in particular.

It makes sense. All around the world you have to be out of the county in question when your gets granted, and it then starts when you pass immigration when you arrive. Paris would make sense as it's about as close as you can get to Southampton while still being abroad.

I think you have to be outside of the UK to apply

Ah, ok. I've been thinking that he might have been able to get around the work permit rules in the short term by coming over here on a tourist visa and 'coincidentally' pitching up at Staplewood to do some fitness work 'on his own'. i.e. not employed by the club at that point, but just some random geezer who happens to like keeping fit whilst 'on holiday'. I guess the powers that be have got that potential loophole covered though :)

You do yes, another impact of brexit in afraid. Thanks leavers, if the delays costs us the cup they only have themselves to blame. ?

What are you talking about? How does Brexit currently effect a work permit for a non EU national?

If had changed nothing in that respect.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think you have to be outside of the UK to apply. Not sure why Paris in particular.

Maybe he went to Paris with his bird/wife/mistress hoping for a bit of Valentine's Day romance and a damn good rodgering ....... it worked a treat for the whole Barcelona Team, they got well and truly f**ked :lol:

It makes sense. All around the world you have to be out of the county in question when your gets granted, and it then starts when you pass immigration when you arrive. Paris would make sense as it's about as close as you can get to Southampton while still being abroad.

Cowes would have been closer.

I have never seen Caceres play, don't know if he is fit or whether he will do a good job for us but feel rather put out that he hasn't signed yet

He can't sign until the government allows him to.

Edited by Nolan

I hope there is some clause to extend if he does well - would be frustrating if we get him fit and up to speed in the PL and then he buggers off to some other team on a free.

I could live with it, especially if his wages on a new contract were too much for FFP. We get through the end of the season potentially in a better place, transfer window screw up rectified, MC will be motivated to get match fit and put himself in the shop window. Yoshi and Jack train with him and become better players. The cost isn't prohibitive for this period of time and we got a fair wedge for an ageing but popular Fonte. most of which we still have for a younger replacement. Win-win as far as I'm concerned. Imagine if he and Virgil are able to play together by the tail end of the season, both fully fit?

As I think I've said before, my wife is an immigration adviser & whilst sports person visas aren't her area of expertise, she said ordinarily you would have to apply from your home country or ordinary place of residence. However with some types of visa that may require a prompter service, it's likely you can apply from somewhere which allows for a quicker service. Paris would definitely be one of these & she says most likely Italy & certainly Uruguay are not.

Well' date=' if the Uruguayan journo is correct about an official announcement today, how long does it take to take a few photos & then let us know how thrilled the lad is to join us (on his behalf)?[/quote']

tomorrows the day according to Murray groves on twitter

Well' date=' if the Uruguayan journo is correct about an official announcement today, how long does it take to take a few photos & then let us know how thrilled the lad is to join us (on his behalf)?[/quote']

Whilst growing up in the backstreets of Montevideo always dreamed one day of playing for Southampton - or is that pompey?

tomorrows the day according to Murray groves on twitter

'Murray groves' is a wum.

He sure is!

A big clue (apart form the nonsense he writes) is in his twitter bio he describes himself as a "Reputable established football associate".

Isn't that for others to decide, rather than using it to describe yourself?

He sure is!

A big clue (apart form the nonsense he writes) is in his twitter bio he describes himself as a "Reputable established football associate".

Isn't that for others to decide, rather than using it to describe yourself?

He's made himself slightly more credible after changing his Twitter profile to something other than a BBC Yorkshire presenter though.