Euro 2016

Batman

Well I of course watched yesterday evening's game and I must say I really can't understand how that shower beat England.

Iceland "won" the second half and were not as bad as you are implying - but in response to your question - they didn't - but a lack of planning, inconsistency in approach to each game, wrong selections for the initial squad (let alone each game!) and mental fragility ensured that England beat themselves.

Iceland were not that bad. In my opinion they just were overwhelmed in the first half. Its likely a combination of the French playing well and the overall magnitude of the circumstances. In the 2nd half they played their normal game and looked like they always do. This team was fairly good. Remember they did beat the Dutch twice, tied Portugal and Hungary, and beat Austria (among others). Yes England should have won, but with a lousy coach pushing all the wrong buttons (both personnel and motivation) its not that far a reach to lose.

Subject to injuries and bookings, there is now every likelihood that we will see a player associated with Saints (either a current player or a former player) in the final. We would expect to either see Bale or Fonte and Cedric in the final.

Not only that, but if Italy beat Germany and France beat Iceland, each of the semi-finalists will feature a current or past Saints player.

Incidentally and on another related point, I thought the following stats may be of interest:

* Three Premier League teams have four players still at the Euros: Man Utd, Arsenal and Palace.

* Four EPL teams have three players still there: Saints, Liverpool, Swansea and West Ham.

* Three EPL teams still have two players still at the Euros: Man City, Spurs and Leicester City.

* Two EPL teams have just one player still at the tournament: Burnley and West Brom.

Meanwhile, Chelsea, Everton, Stoke, Watford, Sunderland, Bournemouth and Hull players have all seen the international teams that they play for eliminated from the tournament. That just leaves Middlesbrough who did not send any players to the Euros.

Aren't two or three of the Welsh team from crystal palace?

Apologies that I have been slow in replying...

As you will see from my post above Palace were one of the teams that still had four players at the tournament - including their Welsh players. These stats are obviously out-of-date now, but I won't attempt to update them. :)

After watching the Welsh teams celebrations after Englands defeat against Iceland I couldn't give a toss how they do tonight, a good hammering might do them so good. I understand them being quietly pleased, but that was pretty distasteful.

After watching the Welsh teams celebrations after Englands defeat against Iceland I couldn't give a toss how they do tonight, a good hammering might do them so good. I understand them being quietly pleased, but that was pretty distasteful.

Agree. No need for it imo. I'll be supporting Cedric and Fonte.

Cos until then you always thought the Welsh loved the English?

I love that Wales have kept home interest alive.

Cos until then you always thought the Welsh loved the English?

I love that Wales have kept home interest alive.

well why do we show such love and enthusiasm back then? The players were celebrating the humiliation of many of their team-mates

well why do we show such love and enthusiasm back then? The players were celebrating the humiliation of many of their team-mates

And so they should. That England team deserve to be humiliated and the Welsh quite right to laugh at them. Come on Wales.

And so they should. That England team deserve to be humiliated and the Welsh quite right to laugh at them. Come on Wales.
Laugh by all means to celebrate like that no way. A Welsh colleague of mine was ashamed of their conduct.

The England game was Iceland's cup final so they didn't have much left for the France game.

Next you'll be saying that the match was too big for the referee and he was overawed by the passion of the England supporters? :-)

So for all the defectors who left us for 'Greater things' (money) Jose and Cedric remain and are in the Euro Finals.Like others I hope they return with winners medals.Great performance from both of them tonight.What a reception they're going to get on their return to St Mary's.

Really glad the Welsh have gone out. I lived and worked around the world for over 20 years and never encountered so much anti English racism than when I lived there. Bye bye Welsh. Had a good old drink celebrating your demise tonight.

What form did this racism take?