Current Squad - Stay or Go

Lighthouse

Why is everyone selling entire teams' worth? Jesus.

It is ridiculous to think a club in the top tier is going to sell 10+ players in a single summer. It just doesn't happen.

The **** up of the managerial appointment was the main problem last season, not the squad quality. Hughes showed this squad if managed well is capable of performing to a good level, Pellegrino however was completely out of his depth. Pellegrino stifled the squad, Hughes has shown it is possible to get a lot more out of them, mass changes are not required, 3 or 4 new players will do.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Because the squad is too big, besides lacking in quality in some areas, we need to cut the numbers and increase quality. We also have players on loan so they are either being added to the sales list or replacing someone in the squad who then gets added to the sales list.

Basing this on the full current squad...

Sell or release: Carillo, Gardos, Taylor

Keep: McCarthy, Cédric, Valery, Yoshida, Stephens, Hoedt, Bednarek, Bertrand, Targett, McQueen, Romeu, JWP, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Davis, Tadic, Redmond, Sims, Austin, Gabbiadini

Unsure, but probably/possibly keep or loan out: Forster, Pied, Wood, Jones, Flannigan, Clasie, Reed, Hesketh, Boufal, Gallagher, Long

A few of this last group may be sold and replaced with better quality players, but should be kept if we cannot replace them; others I don't know enough about how well they are developing as younger players and/or whether they may be getting to an age when they take up an extra space in the squad without being yet good enough to warrant a place. If we end up with too many players for our permitted squad size then we should send a few on loan again - including potentially some of the 'keep' group (e.g. Sims)

Out:

Boufal - Failed transfer in. Questionable commitment

Carrillo – Another failed transfer in - recover as much of the fee as is possible

Clasie – excess to requirements and may prefer to stay with Brugge

Gardos – not adequate standard

Taylor – excess to requirements

Wood – not adequate standard

Keep:

McCarthy, Forster,

Cedric, Pied, Valery, Flannigan

Yoshida, Stephens, Hoedt, Bednarek, Jones

Bertrand, McQueen, Targett

Hojbjerg, Lemina, Romeu

Tadic, Sims, Hesketh, Ward-Prowse, Redmond Davis

Long, Austin, Gabbiadini, Galllagher

Expecting 2 or 3 new signings. and promotions from the Academy.

I don't think they are for the sake of it but there will be a lot of departures.

It's fair to assume Boufal will leave. Likewise those who have been loaned out such as Gardos and Clasie. Reed and Gallagher may well leave. Pied will be out of contract. Cedric has 2 years left so we would normally look to sign him to a new contract or sell. Forster is a very expensive sub. The strikers need a reshuffle.

I don't think they are for the sake of it but there will be a lot of departures.

It's fair to assume Boufal will leave. Likewise those who have been loaned out such as Gardos and Clasie. Reed and Gallagher may well leave. Pied will be out of contract. Cedric has 2 years left so we would normally look to sign him to a new contract or sell. Forster is a very expensive sub. The strikers need a reshuffle.

Ericb reckons there is a good chance Bertrand will go

If it was a straight 50/50 choice, with no, "he’ll never leave, he wants to leave, he’s out of contract, no one will buy him." Etc. Who would you keep for next season?

Keep

Cédric, Yoshida, Hoedt, Tadic, McC, Romeu, JWP, Lemina, Gabbi, Redmond, Bertrand, Hojbjerg, Sims, McQ, Bednarek, Hesketh

Leave

Clasie, Stephens, Long, Davis, Austin, Boufal, Forster, Pied, Gardos, Targett, Reed

Pretty much agree with you only Carillo obviously and McQueen / Prowse might be better looking for their futures elsewhere as they are only ever going to be bit part players here.

Give Sims and Hesketh one more season perhaps but we should be looking at our younger players now. These guys have been around long enough to break through and haven't really grab their chances.

I cannot see many departures on top of those players who’s contract will expire next month.

As the summer transfer window for PL teams close on the 8th August, Reed cannot dither with regards to the manager appointment and any player recruitment.

A lot of players deserve to prove themselves under Hughes, so maybe not so many out of the door too quickly. So far it's just been about players able to do a quick job under pressure to survive. That might still not be the best team we can produce with the players we have, once they are fit and given motivation and he's spent time with them.

I really hope Gallagher gets a chance to prove himself though, even if he can'tr cut it at that level, I'd like to try him before turning to unpredictable foreign imports.

I think Bertrand might go if we receive the right offer for him, plenty of rumours around this one.

Cedric I think we will fight to hang on to.

IF Hughes is appointed manager as expected, then I think Hughes likes long so I suspect he will stay, conversely I think Hughes does not rate Carillo and he will end up going out on loan to a European club or South American club. Again Boufal has said he wants to return to France and has had a falling out with Hughes, so that one looks pretty likely if we can find the right buyer.

Yoshida and Gabbi may be outs of their own accord due to issues wanting to go home.

Pied is out of contract.

I think Targett and Reed will want to know if they are going to get game time, if not they might go.

Clasie hasn't been here and called his time here 'horrible' so he'll be off

So my potential outs would be -

Very Probably will leave - Bertrand (to big club for £25 million), Boufal (back to France), Pied (out of contract), Carillo (out on loan), Clasie (to Brugge or back to Holland)

Might leave - Gabbiadini (homesick wife), Yoshida (return home or end career somewhere)

Everyone else will probably stay, If we are lucky we might be able to raise £40 million in sales, so potentially if you add VVD money could have at least £80-90 to re-invest. But we probably won't spend that much.

Keep

McCarthy,

Cédric,

Yoshida, Hoedt, Bednarek,

Bertrand, McQueen

Romeu, JWP, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Hesketh

Tadic, Redmond, Sims

Long

Leave

Forster

Stephens, Gardos, Pied, Targett

Clasie, Davis, Reed

Boufal

Austin, Gabbiadini, Carrillo

Because some are out of contract and others simply not good enough

Forster - not good enough, high wages, not needed

Stephens - not good enough

Gardos - contract

Pied - contract

Targett - surplus with McQueen (maybe you'll see him go to Fulham or us to keep him with McQueen loaned out)

Clasie - surplus

Davis - not good enough but possibly keep as he's a leader and seems a good bloke and been here years

Reed - Like him, but probably needs to go and play - not going to get games for us.

Boufal - sh!thouse

Austin - not good / fit enough.

Gabbiadini - Barely played this season, and doesn't seem to fit in with style - expect him to return to Italy.

Carrillo - sh!t and a waste of money

Don't think that lot are unrealistic. We currently have a bloated squad of average players which we need to replace with some quality. You could make a case for more also....Bertrand, Lemina, Cedric, Redmond, Tadic, Long....

It is ridiculous to think a club in the top tier is going to sell 10+ players in a single summer. It just doesn't happen. The **** up of the managerial appointment was the main problem last season, not the squad quality. Hughes showed this squad if managed well is capable of performing to a good level, Pellegrino however was completely out of his depth. Pellegrino stifled the squad, Hughes has shown it is possible to get a lot more out of them, mass changes are not required, 3 or 4 new players will do.
Maybe not sell but I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 or more players from the 1st team squad leave over the Summer and I will be happy to see them go.

Because some are out of contract and others simply not good enough

Forster - not good enough, high wages, not needed

Stephens - not good enough

Gardos - contract

Pied - contract

Targett - surplus with McQueen (maybe you'll see him go to Fulham or us to keep him with McQueen loaned out)

Clasie - surplus

Davis - not good enough but possibly keep as he's a leader and seems a good bloke and been here years

Reed - Like him, but probably needs to go and play - not going to get games for us.

Boufal - sh!thouse

Austin - not good / fit enough.

Gabbiadini - Barely played this season, and doesn't seem to fit in with style - expect him to return to Italy.

Carrillo - sh!t and a waste of money

Don't think that lot are unrealistic. We currently have a bloated squad of average players which we need to replace with some quality. You could make a case for more also....Bertrand, Lemina, Cedric, Redmond, Tadic, Long....

Austin being 'not good' is such a complete load of tosh.

And we are not going to get rid of 18 members of the first team squad, how the hell would we ever replace them? We'd have like 6 first teamers left.

Maybe not sell but I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 or more players from the 1st team squad leave over the Summer and I will be happy to see them go.

The board and owners' main objective is to make money by selling players for profit and that's what they do. If it were to strengthen the first team squad, our better players would be retained longer and our worse ones replaced sooner.

The consequence is that our best players are sold while the mediocre ones are retained. Unless the owners' priorities have changed, that's what I'd expect to happen again this summer. So players like Bertrand, Tadic and Gabbiadini will be sold while players like Carrillo, Long, Redmond and Hoedt will be retained, with the net result being another downgrade in the quality of the squad.

Austin being 'not good' is such a complete load of tosh.

And we are not going to get rid of 18 members of the first team squad, how the hell would we ever replace them? We'd have like 6 first teamers left.

We're obviously not going to get rid of them all, but quite a few will probably go. We'll probably keep some of the ones not really good enough (Stephens, Austin, Redmond, Long)

Would leave us with something like.

GK

McCarthy

New

Lewis

DF

Cedric

NEW (Valery?)

NEW

Bednarek

Stephens

Hoedt

Yoshida

Bertrand

Targett OR McQueen

MF

Romeu

Lemina

Hojbjerg

JWP

Davis

AM

Tadic

Redmond

Sims

Hesketh

NEW

NEW

ST

NEW

Long

Austin

Gallagher

Thats still about 25 aged over 21 players...