We're not finished yet

benjii

Whilst the ten minute calamity yesterday was pretty horrific and a massive smack in the guts, we have a chance on Thursday to put the pressure right back on Huddersfield and Swansea.

Leicester have nothing to play for and seem to be in a bit of a rut.

Win on Thursday and I think we've still got a decent chance.

I'm not against recriminations against Les, Wee Ross etc once the dust has settled but the atmosphere yesterday was really good and whilst we've still got a chance we've got to do our bit.

I disagree. We can’t go into games where we will need to score 2 goals minimum to have a hope of getting points.

If the unthinkable happens, this now would be a great escape of 1990s proportions

I think we would not have conceded three goals against most teams yesterday. Giroud's finishes were very clinical.

I disagree. We can’t go into games where we will need to score 2 goals minimum to have a hope of getting points.

If the unthinkable happens, this now would be a great escape of 1990s proportions

And we escaped... so that's my point.

We should have been ambitious and got Giroud and paid his wages instead we enquired about him after he had signed for Chelsea.

You seriously think Giroud would have signed for us?! Anyway, all this 'we should have done this, we should have done that is irrelevant. We are where we are, on the verge of relegation.

I think we would not have conceded three goals against most teams yesterday. Giroud's finishes were very clinical.
We have conceded three goals to West Ham and Newcastle in recent weeks.

We aren't keeping a clean sheet against Leicester.

I certainly admire your optimism but it's gone as far as I'm concerned.

If it was us in Brighton's position I doubt you'd be saying we would be going down with five games left to get a point or two.

I would say we are 85% down. That 15% hope rides on us beating (that's right- NO DRAWS) both Leicester and Bournemouth consecutively, and then scrambling for a point or two against Everton and Swansea away. Manchester City is a write off.

We have conceded three goals to West Ham and Newcastle in recent weeks.

We aren't keeping a clean sheet against Leicester.

I certainly admire your optimism but it's gone as far as I'm concerned.

If it was us in Brighton's position I doubt you'd be saying we would be going down with five games left to get a point or two.

We didn't play Newcastle or West Ham yesterday. We played a lot better yesterday.

I'm not particularly optimistic but I won't be succumbing to the quietism of despair until we don't have any feasible chance.

We didn't play Newcastle or West Ham yesterday. We played a lot better yesterday.

I'm not particularly optimistic but I won't be succumbing to the quietism of despair until we don't have any feasible chance.

Have played alright and lost by the odd goal to the top 6 all season. Even managed a couple of draws in that too

confidence is low, but performances are definitely improving in that chances are being created and goals beginning to come. I would say a win against Leicester is essential- and the belief could then flow. Defeat and I really can't see us getting out of it.

Without doubt, Brighton are on a very slippery slope, no more points a real hope; We could win 4 of the last 5 if we play like 70 minutes of yesterday, and then get a fair referee and a slice of luck, which we are well overdue. But and its a big but we have to cut out the ball watching and two men going for the same ball, a few seconds of that undone us yesterday, PEH didn't look at Hazard and Romeu challenged Yoshida before Giroud slotted home. Don't get me started on Mike Dean though!

I still think Swansea away will be the decisive game however.

1/2 odds on to be relegated now, why oh why did we not act sooner with pelligrino everyone in the country could see he was beyond useless! Everyone except our board it seems

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You have to hope the players will do their best right to the end. But that is the problem...will they?

No....even against a Leicester side that has nothing to play for you need hunger, desire, determination.......all survival attributes. Saints appear to have none of them. The writing has been on the wall for months

I think it's done and dusted to be honest. The 3 now will be the 3 come the end.

They key run of matches for me where we needed to kick on was Burnley, Stoke, Newcastle, West Ham.

0 wins and just 2 points from 12. Goodnight Vienna.

Now we need 2 wins just to reach parity with the others.

I think it's done and dusted to be honest. The 3 now will be the 3 come the end.

They key run of matches for me where we needed to kick on was Burnley, Stoke, Newcastle, West Ham.

0 wins and just 2 points from 12. Goodnight Vienna.

Now we need 2 wins just to reach parity with the others.

Reality has set in today. But when we got into a position of having to gain points off Arsenal and then beat Chelsea was when we had really lost any realistic chance of staying up. After West Ham we needed miracles.

Edited by Topcat

Whilst the ten minute calamity yesterday was pretty horrific and a massive smack in the guts, we have a chance on Thursday to put the pressure right back on Huddersfield and Swansea.

I'm not against recriminations against Les, Wee Ross etc once the dust has settled but the atmosphere yesterday was really good and whilst we've still got a chance we've got to do our bit.

Exactly this. Until it is over we are still in with a chance, in terms of overall play we are starting to play really well, the upturn in form is just around the corner. The game yesterday against chelsea was full of passion and spirit everyone was pressing together and we are starting to score goals.

Have faith guys i ll be joining the doom and gloom if we don t get at least 3-4 pts from the next 2 games but until then i m kstill believing this can and will be done. We are surviving!!!!

It has to be six points in the next two games. It’s doable for sure, but it really is now or never. If Mark Hughes can motivate the players after this latest setback then fair play to him.

I think we need to win the next four..one win in twenty to four from four looks mission impossible but beat Leicester and perhaps the confidence will return then who knows.

I think we need to win the next four..one win in twenty to four from four looks mission impossible but beat Leicester and perhaps the confidence will return then who knows.

Four wins and we'd be comfortably safe, I would imagine. Three wins should do it. Even 7 it 8 points could be enough.

And, by the way, Brighton aren't safe.

They're on 35 points and here are their fixtures:

Spurs (h) agree, Spurs to win

Burnley (a) agree, Burnley win

Man U (h) demotivated opponent, City has already won the League - Brighton win (3)

Man C (a) demotivated opponent, City has already won the League - Brighton win (3)

Liverpool (a) distracted opponent, Champs League final place - Brighton win (3)

We won't be catching Brighton.

We should have been ambitious and got Giroud and paid his wages instead we enquired about him after he had signed for Chelsea.

God, do you really believe this pony. I won’t make the obvious remark that chicks don’t know much about football, but comments like this don’t really help the feminist cause.

You’re seriously trying to say that, knowing Giroud had signed for Chelsea we then contacted his ex club to enquire about buying him . It doesn’t make sense.

Do you really believe we had any chance of singing him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teams that are in bad ruts are made obsolete by us being generally terrible.

What is it now? 1 win in 20 ?!

God, do you really believe this pony. I won’t make the obvious remark that chicks don’t know much about football, but comments like this don’t really help the feminist cause.

You’re seriously trying to say that, knowing Giroud had signed for Chelsea we then contacted his ex club to enquire about buying him . It doesn’t make sense.

Do you really believe we had any chance of singing him?

Singing him? You're not doing much for the Brexiteer cause.

It could well be. Swansea don’t play 5:30pm the day we play Boscombe. They’ve got City away at the weekend, so if we beat Leicester they’ll go into that 2 points ahead of us. Beat Leicester & I can see a pathway out of this. Back to back wins against them & Boscombe is surely not beyond us.

It's the hope that kills you! After yesterday's defeat and results that followed, I've spent the last 24hrs convincing myself that dropping to the Champ wouldn't be so bad - overhaul of the squad, cheaper tickets again and (hopefully) a lot more victories. Now, after reading this thread, I can see a way out should we beat Leicester! Never a dull season with Saints.

I would say we are 85% down. That 15% hope rides on us beating (that's right- NO DRAWS) both Leicester and Bournemouth consecutively, and then scrambling for a point or two against Everton and Swansea away. Manchester City is a write off.
I dont agree that City is a write off.

They will have won the title, are out of the CL and the World Cup looming. Those players are going to want their break. Most players will have checked out. In an interview Sunday even DeBruyne mused the intensity would switch off, said he doubted there would be a huge push to get to 100 points.

a highly motivated Saints team against an uninterested City team is likely.

Newcastle just won 4 in a row I believe, why not us?

Looking at other teams around us (especially the 3 promoted sides) it strikes me that you just have to be competent this season.

That's pretty much it. Brighton / Hudds / Newcastle -- Nothing particularly special, just solid, organised & able to grind out a win here & there.

Looking at other teams around us (especially the 3 promoted sides) it strikes me that you just have to be competent this season.

That's pretty much it. Brighton / Hudds / Newcastle -- Nothing particularly special, just solid, organised & able to grind out a win here & there.

There is no doubt that Saints have seriously underperformed this season. We should be well above the promoted sides...but we aren't.

None of whom stuck with a clown in charge for 30 matches.

Huddersfield have done particularly well over the last couple of seasons to have overcome the loss of Ross Wilson. Remarkable recovery.

Just realised that after WBA's win @ Old Trafford today, we are now the only side in the PL not to have beaten a so called 'Top 6' side this season.

Possibly even two seasons in the league.

From being in a position where we used to attack the top sides and scare them, we have become totally and utterly out of our depth at this level.