Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

A reminder that there were noises about FF suffering from mental health problems. If this is true then he is unlikely to want to expose himself to a new environment and new anxieties until he feels mentally ready.

Those are noises but if they’re true, then it does make a difference. Just read Marcus Trescothick’s bio. Hasten to add FF’s career at the top level is also probably finished.

The only way he is going to revive his career is with game time. If the club is willing to subsidise his wages, then there’s every reason to go on loan unless you’re claiming he has little or no ambition or professional pride. That might be true in your case but not for most of us, never mind highly driven and competitive sportsmen.

You're assuming he's highly driven and wishes to revive career. That's a possibility, as is the possibility that he's happy to have an easy life and see out his contract. The truth is that neither of us no the truth but if I was a betting man I wouldn't back your assumption.

Those are noises but if they’re true, then it does make a difference. Just read Marcus Trescothick’s bio. Hasten to add FF’s career at the top level is also probably finished.

If that is the case then negociate a pay off of his contract.

Don t want any passengers, we can t afford to pay him 60k a week.

He may need help but we can t afford to keep him under these conditions especially if he isn t prepared to go play for another team.

The player has to want the move though. Think about it for a second, out of the 20 premier league clubs how many have a first choice keeper that Forster would replace either permanently or on loan? Possibly the 3 promoted teams but it's hard to see that Forster is better than any of the other 17 first choice keepers, certainly not enough of an improvement to pay a transfer fee and his huge salary anyway. So that leaves championship clubs which would mean a huge drop in salary for a move or high subsidised wages for a loan. Or there is a move abroad, again a drop in wages or subsidised for a loan, but maybe the player doesn't want to move overseas, for whatever reason. You cant just force a player to leave despite what some of the loons think Les Reed used to do. People go on about players not honouring their contracts but it works the other way too.

TBH That would be my preference if he could find a club. Even if we have to pay 50% of his wages to play for another club for three years, it's better than paying him 100% to do f**k all here. I don't know him but I suspect he would take a move if there was no pay cut involved.

He may need help but we can t afford to keep him under these conditions especially if he isn t prepared to go play for another team.

It's not quite as simple as that though is it?

He may not wish to 'negotiate'. Irrespective of anything else, he is probably very happy with the contract he currently has.

How do you know we can't afford to pay him 60k a week. If that's what we agreed, then we must have the means to pay it.

We can't afford not to keep him if he needs help. If we abandon him now, where do you think it will ultimately end up? There will not be a queue of clubs waiting to take on the player given all the variables in play here.

Edit: Micky beat me to it.

Edited by Faz

He doesn't have to play for another team or take a negotiated (reduced) pay off. He's under contract and can see it out at full pay. What's in it for him to take less?

A reminder that there were noises about FF suffering from mental health problems. If this is true then he is unlikely to want to expose himself to a new environment and new anxieties until he feels mentally ready.

He may well feel ready. I'm not sure we'd be briefing that he was for sale if he wasn't.

As it stands we have a commitment to pay him around 6 or 7 million over the next two years. If he leaves he’ll probably get about 500k to 1m a year max from a Championship club.

If we wanted to “pay him off” we’d probably need to bung at least 5m upfront. Maybe he’d lose sponsorship too so that would have to be factored in.

The fact is, he’s paid so much more than his ability merits that he’s really in the driving seat here.

As it stands we have a commitment to pay him around 6 or 7 million over the next two years. If he leaves he’ll probably get about 500k to 1m a year max from a Championship club.

If we wanted to “pay him off” we’d probably need to bung at least 5m upfront. Maybe he’d lose sponsorship too so that would have to be factored in.

The fact is, he’s paid so much more than his ability merits that he’s really in the driving seat here.

Well then force his hand then, let him know that if he is prepared to steal a living, freeze him out of training etc..

There is no room for sentiment here, mental health issue or not.

£3m pa for a couple more years will set him up nicely for the rest of his life. 5 years of it too which is a cool £15m.

Consider how many millions maximum most of us earn in a lifetime... £1.5m?

Average income £25k x 45 year (both max'd) = gets the point?

I doubt he needs much sympathy for his mental frailties

Well then force his hand then, let him know that if he is prepared to steal a living, freeze him out of training etc..

How does that “force his hand”? He’s either prepared to lose money to play football sooner or he isn’t. It’s up to him.

And if we flog McCarthy he’ll be second choice again.

How does that “force his hand”? He’s either prepared to lose money to play football sooner or he isn’t. It’s up to him.

And if we flog McCarthy he’ll be second choice again.

Make his life a living hell, tell him he is not welcome to the club anymore, leak stories to the media about him ready to sit out his contract and do nothing. That will turn fans against him, making him a hated figure on social media and in the street when he goes.

That s how you go about things to force somebody out.

The guy is the highest paid player at the club, does **** all, probably realizes he does’t have the level to compete in the PL anymore.

If you have some self esteem, even if you are paid less to go somewhere else, you will still go to proove yourself or other people that you can still play at a certain level.

Make his life a living hell, tell him he is not welcome to the club anymore, leak stories to the media about him ready to sit out his contract and do nothing. That will turn fans against him, making him a hated figure on social media and in the street when he goes.

The guy is the highest paid player at the club, does **** all, probably realizes he does’t have the level to compete in the PL anymore.

If you have some self esteem, even if you are paid less to go somewhere else, you will still go to proove yourself or other people that you can still play at a certain level.

Why should we, "make his life a living hell," just because his agent managed to mug Les right off with that contract? He’s done nothing wrong. Leaking stories about him sitting out his contact isn’t going to achieve much anyway, we all know that’s what’s going on and nobody is angry at him, this is Reed’s doing. He’s not going to be chased down Above Bar Street with pitch forks any time soon and nor should he be.

Blimey you have a nasty streak!!

How would like that sort of treatment at your employment? Not much I would wager

This is illegal under employment law. You want to get us sued?

Jesus, you sound like a horrendous person. We know he has mental health problems and you want us to bully him and make him feel isolated and hated just to free a bit of space on a wage bill. It makes me upset people like you exist.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

The fact is he can "steal a living". If he doesn't have to turn up to train, he's doing even less for his wages. You're all over the place mate.

People who take football far too seriously.

Wow. What an embarrassing post. Pathetic.

Why should we, "make his life a living hell," just because his agent managed to mug Les right off with that contract? He’s done nothing wrong. Leaking stories about him sitting out his contact isn’t going to achieve much anyway, we all know that’s what’s going on and nobody is angry at him, this is Reed’s doing. He’s not going to be chased down Above Bar Street with pitch forks any time soon and nor should he be.

Quite. The club has the responsibility and should not have left Reed (I wasn’t a fan of Puel but allegedly he felt Fraser needed to move on) to make that decision without some very serious and intense prior scrutiny, especially as there had been a extension the year before and Fraser had a fairly poor season (although nowhere near as bad as the Tommy Fourpast standard after). That’s really poor governance and whatever people think of Fraser’s current form and status, he signed that extension in good faith as an employee. We can’t moan about managers and players not honouring contract extensions if clubs won’t do so.

It says everything about football that Reed is now FA Technical Director.

I do think for his wellbeing that Fraser is better off negotiating a pay off of % his salary and starting again lower down, if he has the football appetite still. Make some saves, play in games, getting a crowd singing his name again. You’d hope a sensible agent would help him do that for a fee but it could also end up being a Bogarde or Roswell situation.

Is going to happen more and more with the rate of wage inflation in the PL.

Wow what a bell. We've signed a contract to pay him a certain amount and you're having a go because he's refusing to cancel it?

People moan about players and managers having no loyalty these days and then make hideous posts like this. Where's the loyalty there?

£3m pa for a couple more years will set him up nicely for the rest of his life. 5 years of it too which is a cool £15m.

*I doubt he needs much sympathy for his mental frailties

Seriously, how out of step with the complexity of lives can people be

I doubt he needs much sympathy for his mental frailties

Agree with you last statement mate, even if he had cancer, who cares? He’s minted! Kids are dying? No bother, plenty of dosh. Lost his leg in an accident? Buy a new one!!!! Seriously, these rich footballers and their “problems”.

You’re a mess mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back on topic, I see Adam Blackmore has tweeted that the next priorities are CB, RB/RWB (I think but it could have just been full-back) and possibly a number 10. The number 10 seems unlikely to me but would provide a few options. Anyone got any ideas who might fit the bill?

Oh, and apparently we're still the bookies favourite to sign Bowen from Hull - again I'm not sure we will given he's predominantly a winger. He's in the last year of his contract and fits the age profile (although not exactly pacy). Personally think he's a great player whenever I've seen him play. Price-wise Cardiff offered 12M for him in January so you'd think that would be around the right price to get him if we are interested.

Back on topic, I see Adam Blackmore has tweeted that the next priorities are CB, RB/RWB (I think but it could have just been full-back) and possibly a number 10. The number 10 seems unlikely to me but would provide a few options. Anyone got any ideas who might fit the bill?

Oh, and apparently we're still the bookies favourite to sign Bowen from Hull - again I'm not sure we will given he's predominantly a winger. He's in the last year of his contract and fits the age profile (although not exactly pacy). Personally think he's a great player whenever I've seen him play. Price-wise Cardiff offered 12M for him in January so you'd think that would be around the right price to get him if we are interested.

I think Augustin can play as a second striker /10, maybe we are still in for him. I haven't seen him linked to anyone else in weeks.

I think the Bowen link came from a random Twitter account with less than 1k followers that we were in 'advanced talks' & then Twitter did it's thing & loads of people started saying it as if it were true.

(I'd love us to sign him, but just can't see it).

The 'No.10' link from Adam Blackmore is interesting. You'd imagine a defensive midfielder is more what we'd need if we were looking for 1 extra signing.

Do we even play a system that has a 'No.10' in it?

Redmond and Ward-Prowse both took turns playing narrow when we used 3-4-3 last season. I think 4-2-2-2 is similar.

"I think if the last six months was an audition for me to give myself the best chance to play in this sort of number 10/striking role, then hopefully I’ve given myself the best account.

If the formation is 3-4-3 or 4-2-2-2, I think he [Hasenhuttl] likes to play with number 10s and not necessarily wingers." -Redmond.

https://readsouthampton.com/2019/05/09/redmond-wants-position-change-in-the-summer/

The three RBs we've most credibly been linked with in the last 12 months: Maehle (most ambitious), Bartolec, Elabdellaoui (cheap cover).

Bartolec has just joined Copenhagen, so that's not happening.

Can't even guess at who the CB target is. Pace is essential. 24 or younger is supposedly the transfer policy. Has to improve the first XI but also come in at around £15m in a market where Harry Maguire is being touted for £100m. Yep, good luck with that, recruitment team!

I like Tomori at Chelsea and think he's possibly attainable at a sensible price, but he's not the finished article by a long way and wouldn't necessarily walk into the side yet. He's bloody quick, though.

Don't see a 10 being a serious priority. Boufal is a 10. Redmond has become more of a second striker/10. Ings has been dropping deeper and deeper into a link up role as his pace has dwindled.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Agree with you last statement mate, even if he had cancer, who cares? He’s minted! Kids are dying? No bother, plenty of dosh. Lost his leg in an accident? Buy a new one!!!! Seriously, these rich footballers and their “problems”.

You’re a mess mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After his Adam Blackmore debacle, no doubt Mr Wayman will claim this is just another wise crack gone wrong.

Seriously we are in talks to sign Adam Lallana.

You won’t see it anywhere as I know that he was at the club yesterday.

Best days are over, injury prone, getting mugged off by the victims - yep, it ticks all the boxes.

Best days are over, injury prone, getting mugged off by the victims - yep, it ticks all the boxes.

Clearly something Ross has learnt from Les.

Apart from that his age doesn't tally with the photo-fit of a Ralph signing. So no thanks, and unlikely.

Probably the first time in the summer so far that there are no really strong rumours.

Surely will see some CBs linked soon seeing as we have openly said thats the next position that will be targetted.

Yeah, good call mate, reasonable to do to someone that suffers from depression.

Definitely a better plan than you know...just making sure not to offer massive long contracts on a whim.

How is that FF's fault? Maybe he should have refused the contract??

One of the great attractions of Saints is that we have always been a caring family club and look after our own - we go to great lengths to ensure our academy released players are found new clubs and/or new occupations etc. I for one certainly hope we don't lose this aspect. In the great scheme of things FF's contract is not the issue, more that it is one in a number of many many bad decisions and running of the club in the past 3 or so years.

My earlier post regarding Forster was entirely justified and I stand by it.

You make think I’m a bellend or whatever but when I see people in companies in France going through the motions because they have job security and no motivation whatsoever in their job, I understand why companies try the dirtiest tricks by the book to try and move them on.

In life you want people with ambition who try and set themselves goals and do whatever it takes to achieve them, that s what I would look for if I was recruiting someone.

I myself go and see a psychologist because I wanna improve confidence in myself and try to be better in every aspect of life.

So in a way I do have mental issues, but do I sit around and keep myself in a cushty job where pay allows me to live confortably? No

I’m starting a new job in September with similar pay, a hard one which may give me loads of sleepless nights because of the pressure, do I back down from a challenge? No because I have the ambition of reaching my goals in life even though I know my mind might not allow me to but at least I wanna try because by doing thisjob it will open a lot of doors for me.

In Forster’s case, if reports are correct about mental issues, well if moving somewhere else makes him a nervous wreck, at least try, knowing that if he succeeds then his career is back on track. Because sitting at Saints and doing nothing but train all year is going to do nothing for his career. His fat bank account might get fatter but that s it.

And if I was an employer and saw somebody doing nothing at work, not wanting to take on new projects, I would seriously question the value of that person for my company. In england job security is non existent compared to contracts in football or job security in France so people have to perform.

But when you have someone not contributing, with the highest pay at the club, mental issue or not, I would try all the tricks to make him move on.

What impression does that give to the other players who perform but are paid less ? Not great for the atmosphere.

You make think I’m a bellend or whatever but when I see people in companies in France going through the motions because they have job security and no motivation whatsoever in their job, I understand why companies try the dirtiest tricks by the book to try and move them on.

In life you want people with ambition who try and set themselves goals and do whatever it takes to achieve them, that s what I would look for if I was recruiting someone.

I myself go and see a psychologist because I wanna improve confidence in myself and try to be better in every aspect of life.

So in a way I do have mental issues, but do I sit around and keep myself in a cushty job where pay allows me to live confortably? No

I’m starting a new job in September with similar pay, a hard one which may give me loads of sleepless nights because of the pressure, do I back down from a challenge? No because I have the ambition of reaching my goals in life even though I know my mind might not allow me to but at least I wanna try because by doing thisjob it will open a lot of doors for me.

In Forster’s case, if reports are correct about mental issues, well if moving somewhere else makes him a nervous wreck, at least try, knowing that if he succeeds then his career is back on track. Because sitting at Saints and doing nothing but train all year is going to do nothing for his career. His fat bank account might get fatter but that s it.

And if I was an employer and saw somebody doing nothing at work, not wanting to take on new projects, I would seriously question the value of that person for my company. In england job security is non existent compared to contracts in football or job security in France so people have to perform.

But when you have someone not contributing, with the highest pay at the club, mental issue or not, I would try all the tricks to make him move on.

What impression does that give to the other players who perform but are paid less ? Not great for the atmosphere.

There is encouraging a man to move because he is not contributing or harming the "atmosphere", which is fine, maybe pay him off or something, and then there is bullying and "making his life a living hell". No one is arguing its a good situation, the reason we all think you are a first class w@nker is because you think that the situation warrants tormenting a mentally ill man. What if he killed himself? You be the guy to look his family in the eye and say "sorry guys, but he was earning a lot of money from a team I like and making the other players a bit sad". A mans life, happiness, and well-being come before football, it's just a game. Sort your priorities out.

Presumably you're also fine with players trying every dirty trick in the book to force a move when they feel the club they are currently contracted to doesn't meet their ambitions?

Rarely have I read such smug bullsh*t from such a smug c**t.

France with their 32 hour working week! Lazy garlic munchers, Homer Simpson would look like a grafter there.